Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Training a southpaw from scratch....

I'm training a southpaw from beginner for the first time. He is at an advanced age but is hoping to compete. I was wondering if any DECENT southpaws or trainers could give me some tips or findings.

I understand that being a southpaw is largely about taking advantage of the angles presented by an orthadox fighter. Any tips?
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,269
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

Convert that mother ****er now!
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Convert that mother ****er now!
Not my choice mate, training him with someone else who runs the gym. Don't think its a wise move at all but unfotunately not my gym, or my call. He'd be better served been coached as an orthadox fighter, he's wanting to fight within 12 months so there is zero chance of him picking up those old tricks southpaws have. Ah well- maybe i'm wrong.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

Jeff its a funny one, theres been some great fighters who have changed around. I always ask, how good could they have been left alone. Hagler and Dela Hoya 2 who come to mind always had trouble with fast movers. Reason being its all in the eyes. Most of the Peritharal vision comes from the dominant eye, the lesser eye is more short sighted. Plus theres the shoulder to think about christ everything to do with Biomechanics is a reason not to change but people have and been succesfull. One or two of mine could switch, but there was an underlying injury that caused it to be that way they cant perform naturely, its all to do with the Oral cavity
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Jeff its a funny one, theres been some great fighters who have changed around. I always ask, how good could they have been left alone. Hagler and Dela Hoya 2 who come to mind always had trouble with fast movers. Reason being its all in the eyes. Most of the Peritharal vision comes from the dominant eye, the lesser eye is more short sighted. Plus theres the shoulder to think about christ everything to do with Biomechanics is a reason not to change but people have and been succesfull. One or two of mine could switch, but there was an underlying injury that caused it to be that way they cant perform naturely, its all to do with the Oral cavity
Cheers mate, do you have any good tips regarding blocking effectively etc? I know how to do everything perfect orthadox- or at least the resoning behind it but i'm going to struggle southpaw as I'm not one.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

Ill ring or pm you
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Ill ring or pm you
Cheers mate- u got my number? Much appreciated.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

Oh so you're training southpaws now. Nice move man. I thought we could trust you but apparently I was wrong.
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

On a serious note, I think the biggest difference when fighting southpaws is the change in distance and the default angle they attack from. I used to have trouble with their jab, and my punches would miss because I was not controlling the distance. Stepping around or between their feet depending on what you are trying to land / avoid enabled me to correct that difference. The right hand jab is something you simply get used to. So if I were to train a southpaw (which I do not because I am not a trainer) I would exploit these things.
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

You train a southpaw the same way you train an orthadox fighter, except you switch the hands. The adjustments will come when they get more advanced.
You don't take a newbie right handed fighter and start talking about "tricks" and strategy. You teach them how to stand, move, punch. The same it is for a left handed fighter. Once they master the basics, you can then impart the wisdom on which way to move, what punches work best, etc.
Jennifer Love Hewitt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Starched Him
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,470
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

Look at Zab judah left sneak upercut
make sure you add that and get him to throw it in the same angles, That has to bother anybody.
lol i cant help
Starched Him is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,269
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
Not my choice mate, training him with someone else who runs the gym. Don't think its a wise move at all but unfotunately not my gym, or my call. He'd be better served been coached as an orthadox fighter, he's wanting to fight within 12 months so there is zero chance of him picking up those old tricks southpaws have. Ah well- maybe i'm wrong.
We definitely need to eliminate this other coach.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: uk
Posts: 905
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

Getting the basic punch mechanics, stance etc down is the first priority Jeff, as stated above.

For guard, from my own preference is to hold the left hand high, just next to the temple. Right elbow in tight (ish) to the body and the right hand just below chin level. Many southpaws fall into the trap of using the 'earmuffs' defense and this usually brings one of two problems - they either have to square up to see punches coming, which opens up a wealth of opportunities for the opponent to unload, as well as limiting their own attacking options, or they don't square up which limits their vision.

Range is also a major player with a southpaw, and much of how you coach will depend on the fighters physical size, athleticism etc.

Angles - very basic... just don't stand right in front of the opponent, you will already know to keep the right foot outside of the opponents left where possible. If find that if i'm firing off a 1-2 for example, step 'outside' slightly as you throw the 2 - this limits the opponents ability to counter effectively and presents your fighter with a wealth of options both offensively, and defensively.

Hope this helps.
Bodi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
Goose
Russian oligarch
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: here and now
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 550
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
Getting the basic punch mechanics, stance etc down is the first priority Jeff, as stated above.

For guard, from my own preference is to hold the left hand high, just next to the temple. Right elbow in tight (ish) to the body and the right hand just below chin level. Many southpaws fall into the trap of using the 'earmuffs' defense and this usually brings one of two problems - they either have to square up to see punches coming, which opens up a wealth of opportunities for the opponent to unload, as well as limiting their own attacking options, or they don't square up which limits their vision.

Range is also a major player with a southpaw, and much of how you coach will depend on the fighters physical size, athleticism etc.

Angles - very basic... just don't stand right in front of the opponent, you will already know to keep the right foot outside of the opponents left where possible. If find that if i'm firing off a 1-2 for example, step 'outside' slightly as you throw the 2 - this limits the opponents ability to counter effectively and presents your fighter with a wealth of options both offensively, and defensively.

Hope this helps.
I like to throw a quick one two followed by a right hook, then you turn your opponent to your left and step out with you back foot to the right, its really is great for fighting outside. As part of training in karate we had to learn to do both sides orthodox and southpaw and its helping me now to switch back and forth when I want to.
Goose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #15
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 426
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training a southpaw from scratch....

Ya Scrap helped me sort through the issue if I was maybe a southie taught to fight ortho, as it was by far my dominant punching side (atleast then) making me question if I had been fighting wrong all along. Plus kept wantin to switch up all the time. Just a quick test sorted it for me, regarding eye dominance, and help me put that to rest.

So less focus on switching now, or worrying if I was doing it wrong all this time, and been sticking strictly to ortho for fights, and just working on improving my right. Been a big help.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013