Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 166
Default Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

Ive been told this but I cant remember.

It sounds more German I guess, but what was the reason behind it.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #2
matt_maxx
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 84
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson
The Germans wanted to make his name more palatable to native speakers. I believe STURM, translates into something like a forcefull storm or blitzkrieg.

However, I may be incorrect!
Yes, Sturm is the German word for storm. Even someone who doesnt speak English at all can see its only one letter what makes the difference. To come up with BLITZKRIEG regarding this topic leads me to the conclusion Robson is acting here with bad intention or plain dumb.
matt_maxx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: youīre not alive unless youīre almost dying!!
Posts: 1,496
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock
Ive been told this but I cant remember.

It sounds more German I guess, but what was the reason behind it.
they want to make the public believe that he is ethnic german.
bumdujour is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hungary
Posts: 410
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

He was born in Germany, he's always lived there, he speaks German as his mothertongue, he competed at the olympics under the German flag, he considers himself to be German, so I see no problem with him changing his name into something more "German-sounding".
Darien is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
NBT
Mοderator of Death
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,303
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

They were trying to make him more marketable because his boxing style and personality wouldn't appeal to the public. But if you see and hear him, it's obvious he isn't German. Although he grew up in Germany he still speaks with an accent.
NBT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Tom_Tocca
The Provider
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,001
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT
They were trying to make him more marketable because his boxing style and personality wouldn't appeal to the public. But if you see and hear him, it's obvious he isn't German. Although he grew up in Germany he still speaks with an accent.
That's the way they speak in NRW...
Tom_Tocca is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: xxyxxyxxyxxyxxyxxy
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien
He was born in Germany, he's always lived there, he speaks German as his mothertongue, he competed at the olympics under the German flag, he considers himself to be German, so I see no problem with him changing his name into something more "German-sounding".
bottom line is: he is ethnic bosnian.

its a real easy equasion: boxingtalent, as any talent, is in your blood, your genes.

now that means that where your genes are from is the country which can rightfully claim you as your own.
cause it is that genepool that has spawned the talent.

in sturms case that is bosnia.

now if he was ethnically half german, we could argue like with graciano rocchigiani being half italian.

and as for sturm saying that he considers himself german.........i donīt put much weight into such an argument.

after all, what else should he say?? if he would say he is bosnian, this would decrease his earning potential!!!
so of course he says he is german.
unitas is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
PolishPummler
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: S.F Bay Area by way of Bytom Polska
Posts: 9,895
vCash: 197
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

Arthur Abraham also changed his name.

It's all lame.

At least DM had some pride!
PolishPummler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
NBT
Mοderator of Death
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,303
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
I know plenty Germans who speak with that accent, iīm from Bavaria and speak German with an accent also. Am i not German?
Get yourself a dictionary and check the difference between dialect and accent.
NBT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
NBT
Mοderator of Death
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,303
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

Well, I wonder who it is who doesn't get it. Get yourself a dictionary and check the difference between dialect and accent, trust me. I know what I speak of, do you?
NBT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
PolishPummler
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: S.F Bay Area by way of Bytom Polska
Posts: 9,895
vCash: 197
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
You donīt get what i mean, right? When i speak Bavarian i speak Bavarian, when i speak German i have a Bavarian accent, even now after three years people here know where iīm from just from that.
And Tom Tocca is right Sturm speaks the dialect which is spoken in Nordrhein-Westfalen. So, he has an accent just like me.

@Polish_Pummler: Yeah, thatīs why DM fought under German flag for a large part of his career I donīt blame these guys, they do what is necessary to make as much money they can. and imo they deserve is.
I never seen him embrace that flag once!


His handlers however were the ones waving it!
PolishPummler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
sean
pale peice of pig`s ear
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,777
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

i do not see the problem.

the american presendential candidate at the last election ( kerry ) found out his family had changed his name.

lots of families do it to fit in better to there new country.
sean is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #13
Grabonator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 474
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Tocca
That's the way they speak in NRW...
.....ehm no! I know it cause im also from NRW. Sturm is just speaking like someone comming from another country or at least like someone whos parents come from another country and i bet the first language he learned was not german.
Grabonator is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hungary
Posts: 410
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitas
bottom line is: he is ethnic bosnian.

its a real easy equasion: boxingtalent, as any talent, is in your blood, your genes.

now that means that where your genes are from is the country which can rightfully claim you as your own.
cause it is that genepool that has spawned the talent.

in sturms case that is bosnia.

now if he was ethnically half german, we could argue like with graciano rocchigiani being half italian.

and as for sturm saying that he considers himself german.........i donīt put much weight into such an argument.

after all, what else should he say?? if he would say he is bosnian, this would decrease his earning potential!!!
so of course he says he is german.
If genes decide which country can rightfully claim a person than Croatia, Austria and Germany could claim me apart from Hungary of course. But I'm Hungarian, I was born here I speak Hungarian and I consider myself to be Hungarian. And you say boxing talent is in genes. That's true in a way but those genes aren't exclusive characteristics of any nation. He could very well be just as talented if he was ethnic German, Irish, Norwegan or whatever. On the other hand talen means shit in itself, it's training that makes you a boxer. And he was trained by German trainers in Germany. By the way, are you Bosnian?
Darien is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:50 AM   #15
chliJs
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: germany
Posts: 485
vCash: 850
Default Re: Why did Catic change his name to Felix Sturm again??

ali doesn't have american genes.
also, he didn't even want his regular name anymore.
he completely shitted on the us in some political issues.

what does that make him, according to some people's logic here?
and why is he still american while sturm doesn't get your oh so important permission to be german?

this discussion is a ****ing joke. he's german, also, if he wants to be considered bosnian, he's bosnian, too. who cares?

i'm from nrw and i can assure you that he's talking common slang depending on who are your friends and what else influenced you. this is not limited to immigrants, it's more a thing of lower educated people, which immigrants mostly are - sad but true.

i didn't quite get the graciano rocchigiani point someone made here. he's german, one of his parents is italian. so what? i know he sometimes pronounces his italian heritage, so i would consider him both, also. it would be a shame to deny him either nationality (especially the german one).

in one sentence: arguing over a boxer's nationality in a case like sturm's is pure homo***uality. if you're bosnian, feel proud of him being bosnian, if you're german, be happy he's representing germany in the ring.. who cares anyway?

maybe he's osman.. byzantine.. who knows.. but certainly he's no german.
chliJs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013