Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-28-2009, 04:06 AM   #16
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 115412
Default Re: Boxing someone with a tight guard?

usually those defense covers their temples, and their till head will force u to accidentally hit their forehead, then if they bring their defense with them to slip jab and str8s making it even harder to hit them clean. People who have mastered that technique are extremely hard to hurt. You can mix up ur punches in single or double shots so u don't get countered hook some and down the middle some. The main thing is not to get countered. You can still hurt them if they block ur punches with their fist glued to their face with block impact. just take what u can get until they are tired of absorbing shots. when that happens try to punish them. otherwise just keep boxing patiently.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
Jack Johnson
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

Good topic, i was sparring a guy today, and i was the one with the tight guard! had the hands glued to the face, its pretty effective, he had quick hands i was just arms up covering my face he didnt get many shots in, however should i be mixing it up a bit ie parrying and catching jabs etc?

Also he was reading my jab and countering, i should really be throwing more punches at him in that case yes??

P.S (as in previous posts im new to boxing) this guy was very quick hands,has had about 10 fights and was taking it easy enough on me!
Jack Johnson is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #18
Goose
Russian oligarch
ESB Addict

vCash: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Johnson View Post
Good topic, i was sparring a guy today, and i was the one with the tight guard! had the hands glued to the face, its pretty effective, he had quick hands i was just arms up covering my face he didnt get many shots in, however should i be mixing it up a bit ie parrying and catching jabs etc?

Also he was reading my jab and countering, i should really be throwing more punches at him in that case yes??

P.S (as in previous posts im new to boxing) this guy was very quick hands,has had about 10 fights and was taking it easy enough on me!
I usually dont get off first when in this type of guard, I wait for them to make a move, then you can step back, lean back, bob and counter or just take a few shots on the guard and counter right away...possibilities are limitless here. If you can switch to lefty, thats even better, take a step back with your left foot and drive in with straight left, most of the time they wont expect it.
Goose is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #19
light-welter
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

mix body and head. turn your fist rite over (so that your thumb is facing the floor) to almost squeeze it through the card.

Look at some Josh Clottey fights, he has a tight gaurd but in all of his losses his opponent has just found a way around it.
light-welter is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #20
pretty boy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 673

Uppercuts up the middle or else draw their lead. No matter what once they throw a punch they are open. As u r tall keep it on the outside and when they throw counter over the top and move.
pretty boy is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2009, 12:25 PM   #21
Gavin
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Winky and Abraham, just realised lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty boy View Post
Uppercuts up the middle or else draw their lead. No matter what once they throw a punch they are open. As u r tall keep it on the outside and when they throw counter over the top and move.
Yeah I was thinking the best thing to do is Counter-Punch, but should I throw the Uppercut from arm's length, straight after the Jab for example? I've been told I have a good Uppercut but thought it was strictly an inside punch, keep on thinking of Douglas-Holyfield! But I remember seeing a vid of Kessler sparring a few weeks ago, and he was throwing them up the middle from mid-range no bother, so I'm a bit confused here!!!
Gavin is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I fought a guy with the tightest guard I ever came up against last week. And he was a sickly good counter puncher too. If I went to the body, bamm...I caught a counter in the face. lol What worked for me, was angling around him, and when he starts to move, hard as hell left hook, hopefully past the guard, but if not, right into his mitts...enough to knock him off balance and then attack the holes. It worked and got the win, but was a hell of a learning experience. The guy barely threw 15-20 punches the whole match but was so good at guarding and countering, he could have won if I didn't find away to get in.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #23
BlackWater
G.Wash.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2092

Uppercuts work well in my experience
BlackWater is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing