Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-21-2007, 06:18 AM   #31
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Can Wlad be beat?

Of course he can. No-one's invincible, all it would take is the right punches, just like everyone else.
DamonD is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #32
Darthmage
SILENCE! I KEEL J00!
ESB Full Member

Wlad is a totally different monster now... I don't see peter KOing him and he is sure as hell not going to UD him.
Darthmage is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 08:54 AM   #33
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Wlad still shows his weakness to pressure, and it was quite evident in the Peter fight. WHen he fights a guy that can actually put a lot of pressure on him and punch a little he will be exposed once again for that weakness.
He will never possess the mean streak or fighting ability that Lennox Lewis was able to achieve under Emanuel Steward. As long as guys continue to try and box with him on the outside, or conform to just being impaled on his excellent jab, he will be very difficult to beat.
It's going to take a fighter that goes for broke and tries to make him fight that will prevail, and right now there isnt too many guys like that. Too bad Evander is so old, because he has what it takes to make that type of fight.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #34
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpup
Sam Peter's hype train is out of control, I just can not see what is so amazing about this fighter. He has minute puncher's chance (plodding, crude punchers chance at that) against Wlad. Last time he fought, Wlad was just about at his all-time low.

As for whether Wlad can be beaten, at this point in time it is hard to see a fighter that can do it. I think Wlad has come into his prime and there isnt an elite fighter out there today who can challenge him. Does not mean that this kind of heavyweight will not emerge, there are too many glaring weaknesses in Wlad's game for it not to get exposed again at some point.
Peter is just not very polished. He has a lot of ability, tremendous power, and real fast hands for a big guy, hes just not being taught the importance of boxing behind his power, and thats why he hasnt reached his potential. From what Ive heard from some trainers who have worked with him, hes lazy and doesnt listen very well in the gym.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #35
madpup
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31
Wlad still shows his weakness to pressure, and it was quite evident in the Peter fight. WHen he fights a guy that can actually put a lot of pressure on him and punch a little he will be exposed once again for that weakness.
He will never possess the mean streak or fighting ability that Lennox Lewis was able to achieve under Emanuel Steward. As long as guys continue to try and box with him on the outside, or conform to just being impaled on his excellent jab, he will be very difficult to beat.
It's going to take a fighter that goes for broke and tries to make him fight that will prevail, and right now there isnt too many guys like that. Too bad Evander is so old, because he has what it takes to make that type of fight.
Spot on, I totally agree. The guy to beat him would also have to have a very good chin.
madpup is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #36
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by box03
It seems for the last couple years Wlad has been not just beating the competition but destroying it, aside from when he fought Peter in september of 05 no has even put up a good fight against him. Is it that the division is that weak or is it that Wlads just too strong. Is there anybody that could beat Wlad, if so then who?
In the last coupla years, Wlad has been destroying opponents such as DaVarryl Williamson ( W Techn split Dec in 5 rounds ( despite knockdown & cut by), 10-02-04, LV, NV), Eliseo Castillo ( TKO 4 rds 4-23-05, Dortmund, Germany), Samuel Peter ( W UD 12 ( despite knockdown 3 times by) 9-24-05, AC, NJ ), Chris Byrd ( TKO 7 rds 4-22-06, Mannheim, Germany), Calvin Brock ( TKO 7 rds, 11-11-06, NYC, NY), Ray Austin ( TKO 2 rds, 3-10-07, Mannheim, Germany), Lamon Brester ( TKO 6 rds, 07-07-07, Cologne, Germany)... Is there anybody Wladimir Klitschko is assigned to fight? Yes, the winner of the IBF tournament with Calvin Brock, Chris Byrd, Alexander Povetkin (13-0, 10 KOs), Eddie Chambers (27-0, 15 KOs)... Answer to the main question, is there anybody that could beat Wlad? Possibly, but Wlad is not going to face anyone other that the IBF tourney winner. But the title of this thread underlines what I have been saying too many times by now, you cannot elect a fighter based on assumptions such as "he seems unbeatable" - he still gat to deliever!
Dorfmeister is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #37
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab2333
lENNOX LEWIS CAN COME OUT OF RETIREMENT AND BEAT HIM
At this point, Lewis would be destroyed. I can't believe I just said that, but it's true.

If the current versions of both fought, Wlad would win 8 out of 10 times
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #38
djrock247
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I was at Wlad v. Peter 1 and I was pulling for Peter but I knew he was clearly outmatched. I think that fight was a couple of years ahead of schedule for Peter. If it happened today, I don't know what to think. On one hand, Wlad has a lot more confidence than the first time around and will probably be more inclined to open up and throw the left hook. On the other hand, with Peter's apparent granite chin it may not be such a good idea to open up and throw the left hook. I honestly believe that if this fight happened today, SOMEBODY would get KO'ed.
djrock247 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #39
T.S.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I remember when Pittsburgh Steeler QB Terry Bradshaw was asked if the Los Angeles Rams could beat his highly favored team in the Super Bowl.
He said "Sure they can. I wouldn't bet on it though"

I feel same way about Wlad. Sure he can be beat. But I wouldn't bet on it for the next couple of years.
T.S. is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #40
jopez707
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 497

I think Peter could in a rematch, but I would like Peter to develop his skills more before he fights Klitschko again. A Klischko-Chagaev match would be interesting, other than that I am not sure.
jopez707 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #41
kaygb
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampley
I agree Wladimir is by far the world's No. 1 HW, but we also have not seen him against a fearsome, aggressive puncher in quite some time.

Brewster was shot, Austin a non-entity, Brock too limited offensively, Byrd a punching bag.

Let's see how he responds to a big hitter determined to come forward.

I like WK, but it seems like people suddenly people are forgetting that he can be hit, hurt and gassed. Manny has been great for him, but Wladimir is more vulnerable than he's appeared to be lately. Just maybe not now, against today's HWs.
Excellent post Lampley.
kaygb is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #42
grouch
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Peter's style has changed during the 2 fights with Toney - Peter learnt how to box. This style is more suitable for Wlad and in the rematch Peter will be ko'd, as what happened with any other boxer (not puncher) Wlad fought.

In fact, if Peter has any chance against Wlad he should return to his old style - plodding and swinging for the fences. Look what happened to Brewster when he decided to go cute on Wlad.
grouch is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #43
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch
Peter's style has changed during the 2 fights with Toney - Peter learnt how to box. This style is more suitable for Wlad and in the rematch Peter will be ko'd, as what happened with any other boxer (not puncher) Wlad fought.

In fact, if Peter has any chance against Wlad he should return to his old style - plodding and swinging for the fences. Look what happened to Brewster when he decided to go cute on Wlad.
Very true, you try and box Wlad you will lose and will probably get knocked out. I do feel once he does get Wlad hurt he should throw more straight punches, and not smother his punches as much.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #44
11player
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The way I see it, if Wlad is in shape he is very tough to beat, but he has his flaws, which are well known by now.

Peter and Povetkin are the ones with the best chances of beating him, IMO, but there are some other guys that will give him a run for his money and might beat him on a lucky day. Fighters like Valuev, Chagaev, Virchis, Dimitrenko, Thompson.
11player is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #45
SevenSamurai
3 year ESB vet.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Only Povetkin could beat him out of the current top 100, unless he gets injured and fights with an injury.
SevenSamurai is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum