Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Top 5 most Hyped up fighters (currently)

1. Chad Dawson - The guy wins a fight against Adamek and already people are trying to sneak him onto their top 10 P4P lists, some are even saying hes the U.S's hope for the Heavyweight division , its also funny how all these Dawson fanatics like to pretend like everything after the 9th round of the Adamek fight never happened. Yeah he has the tools to be a great champion and become an all time great but so did Zab Judah.

2. Mikkel Kessler - Im a victim into this category myself, but lets be honest the love for Kessler is really just hate for JC. Ever since the fight was made and official there have been alot less "I love Mikkel" threads here at ESB, Kessler is not a HoF (atleast not yet), does not have an impressive resume and is not a lock to beat Calzaghe .

3. Jorge Linares - Alot of people are crowning him as the best featherweight for destroying an over-the-hill Larios (Who fitted his style perfectly mind you), and say he can compete with the Pacmans,Valeros,JMMs, and Guzmans in the superfeatherweight division already. But if you really look at his own current division he doesnt dominate in any physical attribute over the division.
Power - Guerrero
Speed - Luevano
Technician - John
Stamina - John/Juarez
John and Luevano would beat him with ease IMO they wouldnt be coming forward recklessly as did Larios had.

4. Michael Katsidas - You have to appreciate his heart and the excitement he brings to his fights, but the man has very little boxing skills, if any at all. He has no technique, no use of the jab, sloppy footwork, and can get easily outworked if he doesnt have his man against the ropes. He gets by with his extreme physique, as we saw in his last fight any fighter with a disciplined jab can win decisively against him. His style would make a FOTY and possible win against lineal champ Juan Diaz, but would look foolish against Casamayor, and even against Nate Campbell.

5. Kelley Pavlik - Similiar to Kessler to JC, alot of this Pavlik love is really Jermain Taylor hate (it goes the same for Miranda before the Pavlik loss, wheres all the Miranda love now?) and remember how before the Miranda fight most here were saying he has a weak chin, he'll get knocked out and that he will get on season 3 of "The Contender" afterwards. We'll now that hes exposed the cant fight backwards Miranda, many of his "new fans" are blindly thinking Taylor has a similiar style to Miranda and it will fit perfectly for Pavlik to run over once again, and cant imagine the boxing scene without Pavlik winning, but you all will be in for a big surprise come Sept.29, if/when Pavlik does lose (legitimately) his fan base will be decreased dramatically, i gurantee it. They jumped on too quickly they will leave quickly too.

Honorable mentions (getting overhyped but not to an extreme extent as the 5 above) - Joshua Clottey, Lucian Bute, Andre Berto,and Julio Diaz
Boom_Boom is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908
Default Re: Top 5 most Hyped up fighters (currently)

You mean guys who don't deserve the hype about them? If so, I'd go with....

Pavlik and Bute, and Katsidis, although I haven't really heard many people hyping Katsidis.

Guys like Dawson, and Kessler will go on to justify their hype.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

Kessler has an impressive resume considering the amount of hype he gets (not much outside denmark and germany)

Mayweather is the most hyped up fighter in the world
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 AM   #4
He Hate Me
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks
You mean guys who don't deserve the hype about them? If so, I'd go with....

Pavlik and Bute, and Katsidis, although I haven't really heard many people hyping Katsidis.

Guys like Dawson, and Kessler will go on to justify their hype.
katsidis just reminds people of gatti.
He Hate Me is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 02:24 AM   #5
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Boom
1. Chad Dawson - The guy wins a fight against Adamek and already people are trying to sneak him onto their top 10 P4P lists, some are even saying hes the U.S's hope for the Heavyweight division , its also funny how all these Dawson fanatics like to pretend like everything after the 9th round of the Adamek fight never happened. Yeah he has the tools to be a great champion and become an all time great but so did Zab Judah.

2. Mikkel Kessler - Im a victim into this category myself, but lets be honest the love for Kessler is really just hate for JC. Ever since the fight was made and official there have been alot less "I love Mikkel" threads here at ESB, Kessler is not a HoF (atleast not yet), does not have an impressive resume and is not a lock to beat Calzaghe .

3. Jorge Linares - Alot of people are crowning him as the best featherweight for destroying an over-the-hill Larios (Who fitted his style perfectly mind you), and say he can compete with the Pacmans,Valeros,JMMs, and Guzmans in the superfeatherweight division already. But if you really look at his own current division he doesnt dominate in any physical attribute over the division.
Power - Guerrero
Speed - Luevano
Technician - John
Stamina - John/Juarez
John and Luevano would beat him with ease IMO they wouldnt be coming forward recklessly as did Larios had.

4. Michael Katsidas - You have to appreciate his heart and the excitement he brings to his fights, but the man has very little boxing skills, if any at all. He has no technique, no use of the jab, sloppy footwork, and can get easily outworked if he doesnt have his man against the ropes. He gets by with his extreme physique, as we saw in his last fight any fighter with a disciplined jab can win decisively against him. His style would make a FOTY and possible win against lineal champ Juan Diaz, but would look foolish against Casamayor, and even against Nate Campbell.

5. Kelley Pavlik - Similiar to Kessler to JC, alot of this Pavlik love is really Jermain Taylor hate (it goes the same for Miranda before the Pavlik loss, wheres all the Miranda love now?) and remember how before the Miranda fight most here were saying he has a weak chin, he'll get knocked out and that he will get on season 3 of "The Contender" afterwards. We'll now that hes exposed the cant fight backwards Miranda, many of his "new fans" are blindly thinking Taylor has a similiar style to Miranda and it will fit perfectly for Pavlik to run over once again, and cant imagine the boxing scene without Pavlik winning, but you all will be in for a big surprise come Sept.29, if/when Pavlik does lose (legitimately) his fan base will be decreased dramatically, i gurantee it. They jumped on too quickly they will leave quickly too.

Honorable mentions (getting overhyped but not to an extreme extent as the 5 above) - Joshua Clottey, Lucian Bute, Andre Berto,and Julio Diaz
Zab Judah and Dawson are nothing alike. Dawson has not displayed the lapses in judgement, the arrogance that he deserves to win, that cost Judah some of his fights.

I know Dawson got KD in round 9 of the Adamek fight....what of it? Fighters get knocked down. He got back up and fought a good fight.

If anything, Adamek was hyped and Dawson beat him pretty good.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 02:33 AM   #6
lenzo
Lenzo
ESB Jr Member

My list:
#1: Wlad, good for a heavyweight, but no where near the champs of the recent past, also has a glass jaw that will be exposed again.
#2: Sam Peter: Really a newcomer. Gave the above a close call, but like I said, Wlad is no superstar. Peter will have fits with Oleg more so than a Toney who was was rooted like a telephone pole!
#3: Mayweather: Best days are over fighting small guys, no disrespect, but the competition has been waiting for him to sign on the line, but it wont happen. Mayweather as a dancer, can a women keep up with his running?
#4: Pavlik: Only guy he ever beat worth a darn is Edison Miranda who had a bad night, and never did have any decent footwork or balance unless he was running fowards! I hope Pavlik is as good as most are saying he is.
#5: PACMAN: Sorry all, he's been on a roll for sure, has steam rolled the division as of late, but the fights wouldn't have the same results if they were 5 years earlier. Pacs fights were against those past their primes. Marquez will best the Pacman.
I've got a few others too: Holyfield, go away.
lenzo is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Lacyace
Forever Knight
ESB Addict

vCash: 200

Kelly Pavilk is way too overhyped. He's about to lose. Kessler is also way too overhyped. He's about to lose as well. Sam Peter is not the second best heavyweight in the world. Chagaev is. Peter's going to beat Maskaev but I really don't think he's going to become world champion. He's also overhyped.
Lacyace is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
Carlos Primera
Martinez is a badman
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzo
My list:
#1: Wlad, good for a heavyweight, but no where near the champs of the recent past, also has a glass jaw that will be exposed again.
#2: Sam Peter: Really a newcomer. Gave the above a close call, but like I said, Wlad is no superstar. Peter will have fits with Oleg more so than a Toney who was was rooted like a telephone pole!
#3: Mayweather: Best days are over fighting small guys, no disrespect, but the competition has been waiting for him to sign on the line, but it wont happen. Mayweather as a dancer, can a women keep up with his running?
#4: Pavlik: Only guy he ever beat worth a darn is Edison Miranda who had a bad night, and never did have any decent footwork or balance unless he was running fowards! I hope Pavlik is as good as most are saying he is.
#5: PACMAN: Sorry all, he's been on a roll for sure, has steam rolled the division as of late, but the fights wouldn't have the same results if they were 5 years earlier. Pacs fights were against those past their primes. Marquez will best the Pacman.
I've got a few others too: Holyfield, go away.
seriously what else does pac have to prove? barrera was'nt shot against marquez. morales was slipping, but was'nt shot when pac beat him the first time. he always takes the tough fights, and puts on a good performance. if anyone's deserving to be on the list, it's soon too fall china chin hype job Khan.
Carlos Primera is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
Illmatic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

theres a lot of reason to be hyped about kessler and dawson
Illmatic is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #10
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

I really can't see that hype for Kessler is hate for JC - at least not on these boards. Alot of posters in both camps(and outside) have tremendous amount of respect for the other(and rightfully so), as shown in multiple threads already.

Dawson is a fighter that will dominate the boxing world for many years, as I see it. I personally hope some day, that either JC or Kessler gets to fight him.

Like Pecks said, some will fullfill their "hype". Others will be underrated, when "exposed" from the same hype.
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
He Hate Me
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Malignaggi is hyped up, Id like to see him beat a decent fighter.
He Hate Me is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

*Amir Khan (he's not even englands best prospect, never mind the world)
*Chad Dawson (No doubt he's class, but **** sake, he's won one fight)
*Floyd(Obviously he is supremely skilled, probably the best technically, but as yet has nowhere near proved he's a top 50 ATG looking at his record)
*Malignaggi(Im a fan, but he's nothing more than a B class fighter with heart)
Smith is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydsmith
*Amir Khan (he's not even englands best prospect, never mind the world)
*Chad Dawson (No doubt he's class, but **** sake, he's won one fight)
*Floyd(Obviously he is supremely skilled, probably the best technically, but as yet has nowhere near proved he's a top 50 ATG looking at his record)
*Malignaggi(Im a fan, but he's nothing more than a B class fighter with heart)
If you acknowledge he is class - isn't it justifying to hype him up. That one win - was not just one win - it was an supremely gifted LHW.

Besides from a few posters, he hardly even got a mention after dismantling Adamek. Some boxers needs to have some hype, because they don't get their credit, where it's due. Ie Cristian Mijares.
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #14
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanePugilist
If you acknowledge he is class - isn't it justifying to hype him up. That one win - was not just one win - it was an supremely gifted LHW.

Besides from a few posters, he hardly even got a mention after dismantling Adamek. Some boxers needs to have some hype, because they don't get their credit, where it's due. Ie Cristian Mijares.
True..

..But i am meaning it in the instance that people are saying he is the number one man in the division already, thats not right. Like i said he's had one fight against a top contender, but for people to say he is the #1 LHW is premature.He may well be technically and ability wise, but you gotta beat all the top dogs to stake claim to that title
Smith is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #15
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydsmith
True..

..But i am meaning it in the instance that people are saying he is the number one man in the division already, thats not right. Like i said he's had one fight against a top contender, but for people to say he is the #1 LHW is premature.He may well be technically and ability wise, but you gotta beat all the top dogs to stake claim to that title
Well, they have to fight him instead of looking for older smaller guys to fight. Hopkins doesn't seem too keen on taking him on, and Woods is figting a guy he already beat. Erdai....well he doesn't fight ANYONE.
kg0208 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum