Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Paul Williams should fight Sergio Martinez and F U KP.

So, they decided to keep Mr basic 1,2 reset in witness protection...surprise surprise. I'm sick of Pavlik, his antics and holding the title hostage, i was really looking forward to this , it was gonna bring one of the most prestigious divisions back from the dead by having a proper fighter at the helm and representing.

I hear Paul will keep the date, which is some decent news. The obvious opponent for me is Sergio Martinez. It makes all the sense in the world if you ask me. Paul Williams has 2 fights at 160 under his belt but even more importantly, was scheduled to fight for the 160 lineal crown now twice in a 3 month turnaround. No other guy like Sturm will take this fight but Sergio Martinez wants it. Sergio has been training for a southpaw so it's a perfect fit considering that 154 is only 6 lbs south of this scale and Sergio brings the recognized 154 lineage to the dance with only a 6 lb float. Pavlik gets stripped before Nov. 1st either way, F this clown.

I won't go on too long of a rant on this topic because it's frustrating as F*k: But I'll just say this to sum up (1) Paul Williams signed to fight twice for the lineal MW crown; (2) too much legal monies and retainers have been exhausted trying to get Pavlik in a relevant dance; (3) 9 months of avoiding King AA by stall tactics with Mora, a 154er who lost his last time out, has come to roost; and (4) get well Kelly but like i said you're stripped in 2 weeks or less.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Default Re: Paul Williams should fight Sergio Martinez and F U KP.

Just a thought...they can make this thing a mega event by having Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams step on the scales at 154 for an early afternoon, Friday weigh-in. Give them about 38 hours (8hrs more than the norm) to rehydrate their arses off and fight for both a 154 title and the linear 160 title. This would be similar to Ray Leonard fighting for both the inaugural 168 strap and a lesser LHW strap on the same night but the stakes and recognition are even greater for this Sergio/Paul showdown. MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I'm not fussed for the re-hydration thing.... but Pavlik really does have something to answer for here.

It wouldn't surprise me that much if he never fought again.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Disapointed this fight is off.

Martinez would be an interesting opponent to see how far Williams has improved, he'd be the best pure boxer he's fought since Quintana. I get the feeling Williams would be too imposing for him over the 12 round distance though, I'm quite sure of that.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Just a thought...they can make this thing a mega event by having Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams step on the scales at 154 for an early afternoon, Friday weigh-in. Give them about 38 hours (8hrs more than the norm) to rehydrate their arses off and fight for both a 154 title and the linear 160 title. This would be similar to Ray Leonard fighting for both the inaugural 168 strap and a lesser LHW strap on the same night but the stakes and recognition are even greater for this Sergio/Paul showdown. MAKE IT HAPPEN!
to be honest ive heard ideas like that thrown around before and i really dont like it. it just highlights the fact that fighters do not stick to there weight nowdays. credit to williams for getting down to 147, but its only for a few hours and it gives him a ridiclious advantage in the ring.

infact i think they should go back to same day weigh ins. if mayweather did fight a cotto or a williams, it would be a bit off a piss take for floyd as he would be at 147 in the ring and williams would be 160lbs plus.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
I'm not fussed for the re-hydration thing.... but Pavlik really does have something to answer for here.

It wouldn't surprise me that much if he never fought again.
I wouldn't be surprised either, Kelly is wasting or should i say drinking his career away.

ish.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Disapointed this fight is off.

Martinez would be an interesting opponent to see how far Williams has improved, he'd be the best pure boxer he's fought since Quintana. I get the feeling Williams would be too imposing for him over the 12 round distance though, I'm quite sure of that.
Good post and I completely agree. 'Dissapointed' is a massive understatement for me, though.

Anywho, apparently DiBella (Martinez' promoter) is interested in the fight* and it looks promising to be on Dec 5 as well. It's the best alternative out there that can currently be put on, IMO, and I really like the proposition of a Martinez-Williams clash. I'm completely fed up of Pavlik now and I think there is a real possibility he will end up losing his titles outside of the ring if all of this carries on. Personally, I think he's lost interest in the sport since his humbling and you have to ask yourself why he let his infection get so bad in the first place when he knew it would only get worse and it would prevent him from fighting.

*SOURCE: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

How the **** can Martinez and Williams fight for the linear MW title?

Anyway, it's still a very good fight and I think I would slightly favour Martinez.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
How the **** can Martinez and Williams fight for the linear MW title?

Anyway, it's still a very good fight and I think I would slightly favour Martinez.
48 hours after Cintron got a gift draw vs. Sergio, the WBC came out and said we saw the fight with our own eyes and even though Sergio didn't politically get the W, we don't care. We are awarding him the WBC interim tag at 154. This was a huge statement. Likewise, Paul Williams got a 154 interim tag and did everything under the sun to fight Pavlik on two occasions to bring honor back to 160. Real simple: Surgically remove Staphgate dead wt and bring the 2 Interim live bodies together for the Middleweight crown.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

I know a fair amount about staph and MSRA by its narrower medical term. I know that some aspects of MSRA have been known to be flesh eating strains and all that. But the doctors explicitly signed off on his release (medical malpractice and professional liability aside) so December was a go as October got swept away. If the MSRA miraculously re-appears then get yourself well but the belts and leverage CAN'T stay in your camp; not after a year plus of this sh*t.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

I thought Martinez won the interim strap against Bunema?

Both guys have LMW belts, not MW.

Pavlik is linear MW champ until he gets beat at the weight, permanently moves up or retires.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

you can't have your cake and eat it too. 4 weeks ago the doctor explicitly cleared Pavlik to make the December showdown with Paul Williams. Now there's another cancellation and with the checkered past of Pavlik over the last year pulling out of 2 Mora fights etc...this one is easy. Sergio Martinez comes up to 160 and fights Paul Williams for Pavlik's two vacated belts. A simple interim tag won't cut it. They must force Pavlik to vacate so 160 isn't the laughing stock of Boxing going into 2010 & beyond.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #13
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
I know a fair amount about staph and MSRA by its narrower medical term. I know that some aspects of MSRA have been known to be flesh eating strains and all that. But the doctors explicitly signed off on his release (medical malpractice and professional liability aside) so December was a go as October got swept away. If the MSRA miraculously re-appears then get yourself well but the belts and leverage CAN'T stay in your camp; not after a year plus of this sh*t.
In fairness, I read earlier on Rafael's ESPN blog that the staph infection isn't the problem; it's the fact that the surgical wounds that were created to remove the infection haven't healed properly. Either way, it's completely KP's fault for ****ing about with it in the first place like a complete unprofessional twat. Also remember that his farcical reign as the heir to the 160 throne is two years old now. What has he done in that time at 160? Beat up on Whobio and Lockett. Wow.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
I thought Martinez won the interim strap against Bunema?

Both guys have LMW belts, not MW.

Pavlik is linear MW champ until he gets beat at the weight, permanently moves up or retires.
where did i say they have MW belts? you wonna stop misquating pal.

By the way, your basis for two recognized 154ers not deserving a shot at the 160 crown if thats what you're getting at, in light of what has gone on in the last day or so, FALLS flat on its face being that Youngstown had about 9 months of BS negotiations with Mora LOL! Mora was not only NOT a middleweight, but had just lost the 154 title to Vernon in embarrassing fashion by getting utterly exposed for his The Contender pedigree (i.e. Polished club fighter roots). Do you see the tangle web Youngstown and Bob weaved? I hope you do!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

I'm sure if P Will-Martinez fight at 160 some title will be on the line but you can't strip a fighter of the linear title. Therefore Kelly Pavlik will remain the true Linear MW Champ even if he gets stripped by the ABCs.
ishy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum