Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-21-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Analysis- Taylor vs Pavlik

Not mine though

Some food for thought anyway. What do you think Amsterdam, I haven't really heard you say much about this fight yet?

BORKED

Last edited by pauleen; 06-27-2006 at 01:55 PM.
MSTR is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2007, 07:11 AM   #2
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Default Re: Analysis- Taylor vs Pavlik

Wright v Taylor. A great example of what Taylor can do in the centre of the ring IMO. WInky is technically a much better fighter then Pavlik. And still Taylor was IMO winning from the centre of the ring. It is when Jermain gets on the ropes that he gets into trouble. With Manny Steward in his corner, does anyone really think Jermain will sit on the ropes like Miranda did and allow him to tee off>

BORKED
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #3
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

BORKED BORKED

A clip from earlier in Pavliks career against Ross Thompson who took Pavlik the distance. I think what this fight really shows to me, is that Pavlik isn't the greatest "boxer" and in the middle of the ring, can definitely be beaten.

The second being against Miranda, to highligh where Pavlik is best. Pushing his opponent back, and bringing constant pressure.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 07:33 AM   #4
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

I don't believe that Pavlik is that good to be honest. He doesnt' use effective pressure, and isn't really a traditional pressure fighter. He basically is a puncher. He needs to have some range to land his bombs, and it will suit Taylor, who is most uncomfotable when guys actually come right in on him.

The fight is definitely there to be won for Taylor. All he needs to do is box, box, box and listen to Mannys instructions. If he sits on the ropes though he will be toast. I am sure that Steward and Taylor would be spending almost the entire camp focused on lateral movement and using the jab to counter Pavlik.

I think that this will be a very close fight, unlike most others on this site. At this stage I have Taylor winning, although definitely not one I am confident about. As long as his chin holds up though I think he is a very good chance.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Not mine though

Some food for thought anyway. What do you think Amsterdam, I haven't really heard you say much about this fight yet?

BORKED

Serious props to whoever made this vid.
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
LogDog69
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Wright v Taylor. A great example of what Taylor can do in the centre of the ring IMO. WInky is technically a much better fighter then Pavlik. And still Taylor was IMO winning from the centre of the ring. It is when Jermain gets on the ropes that he gets into trouble. With Manny Steward in his corner, does anyone really think Jermain will sit on the ropes like Miranda did and allow him to tee off>

BORKED
What I'm thinking is that if Winky can push Taylor to the ropes then Pavlik certainly can. Steward was in Taylor's corner when Winky was pushing Taylor to the ropes. The key word here is if Taylor "listens" to Steward then will stay off of the ropes, but if Pavlik can push Miranda back then he should be able to push Taylor back. If I had to bet on this fight though I still don't know where I would put my money.
LogDog69 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

This will be the first time Taylor faces a basic solid fighter that is being put on the same level as guys like Hopkins and Wright as far as perception among fight fans. Pavlik cant be compared to any of the top fighters Taylor has faced or had trouble with. Those guys were far slicker than Pavlik. Kelly is just a well conditioned good solid fighter that doesnt do anything special. His condition and will to win has gotten him to the position he is in. Now he will face a guy in Taylor that has all that plus he can do a lot more as a fighter, and its going to show. Taylor is going to easily outbox Pavlik to a 12 rd decision.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

There is a definitely possibility Taylor's accuracy (if he can hit Winky and Spinks occassionally, he can land on a forward coming gung-ho fighter) can hurt Pavlik, I'm another not rating either though.

I don't blame Taylor for ignoring Stewards advice to be honest. Against Spinks he was desperate for Taylor to go forwards and impose himself on the smaller man. What I saw happening when he attempted this was Spinks picking him off as he came towards him. I didn't like Steward's thinking there at all. It was just clichéd strategy that played perfectly in Spinks prefered style.

Taylor is no warrior though.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Quote:
I don't believe that Pavlik is that good to be honest. He doesnt' use effective pressure, and isn't really a traditional pressure fighter. He basically is a puncher. He needs to have some range to land his bombs, and it will suit Taylor, who is most uncomfotable when guys actually come right in on him.

The fight is definitely there to be won for Taylor. All he needs to do is box, box, box and listen to Mannys instructions. If he sits on the ropes though he will be toast. I am sure that Steward and Taylor would be spending almost the entire camp focused on lateral movement and using the jab to counter Pavlik.

I think that this will be a very close fight, unlike most others on this site. At this stage I have Taylor winning, although definitely not one I am confident about. As long as his chin holds up though I think he is a very good chance.
Pavlik is not all that, but he has chin, comes forward, has very good power. His workrate is above decent.

Taylor on the other hand. Looks terrible, when pressed. Below decent workrate, pretty terrible footwork that doesn't support him to box, box box as you say. He doesn't fight smart either, despite the fact that he has an excellent coach in his corner. He has pretty bad precision, as evident ie vs Winky. He does have okay handspeed, when he wants to, but due to low workrate, and bad accuracy, it all falls to the ground. Same goes with his jab, which he doesn't use to set something up, and most of the time, its sloppy and hits air.
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31
This will be the first time Taylor faces a basic solid fighter that is being put on the same level as guys like Hopkins and Wright as far as perception among fight fans. Pavlik cant be compared to any of the top fighters Taylor has faced or had trouble with. Those guys were far slicker than Pavlik. Kelly is just a well conditioned good solid fighter that doesnt do anything special. His condition and will to win has gotten him to the position he is in. Now he will face a guy in Taylor that has all that plus he can do a lot more as a fighter, and its going to show. Taylor is going to easily outbox Pavlik to a 12 rd decision.
Pavlik can overwhelm and break people down unlike anyone Taylor has faced though.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

You all are putting too much into Taylor's boxing ability from portions of fights, for example, Wright had him up against the ropes early on, Ouma's pressure had him up against the ropes by round 5.

If Pavlik just puts him against the ropes and starts landing, because Taylor's defence is horrible, the fight may be over, because Taylor's chin is not overly solid. Taylor also does not react well to pressure, it amazes me that people thing that a guy keeping pressure on him is going to BENEFIT him. God, the idiocy of boxing fans.

Another factor, Pavlik WILL get tagged a lot here, the issue is that Taylor cannot even put away LMW's that he throws his entire arsenal against, as in the Ouma fight. He's not a power puncher and Pavlik will eat them to push him around with his own. Taylor is also NOT an accurate puncher, this is one of his problems.

Pavlik has relatively good timing and will land his right hand on Taylor with the way that Taylor leaves that left hand low and it will initiate the beggining of the end.

Pavlik KO 5.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Another thing MSTR, I agree with you, Pavlik is just a B+ level solid fighter, he's NOT 'all that'. He never has been and never will be, this fight will not prove he's a top tier P4P fighter when be blows out Taylor, it will just prove what some people have said about Jermain Taylor all along to be fact.

Taylor is not a top P4P guy either, this is a contest between two B+ level fighters.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #13
liljp361
Belt holder
ESB Addict

whoever made that knows a thing or 2 bout boxing. that being said...pavlik should win.
liljp361 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #14
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
Pavlik can overwhelm and break people down unlike anyone Taylor has faced though.
But Taylor has good lateral movement and boxing ability, and that works very well against a one dimensional guy like Pavlik. This fight is going to look like Hopkins Trinidad.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #15
jsimps
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanePugilist
Pavlik is not all that, but he has chin, comes forward, has very good power. His workrate is above decent.

Taylor on the other hand. Looks terrible, when pressed. Below decent workrate, pretty terrible footwork that doesn't support him to box, box box as you say. He doesn't fight smart either, despite the fact that he has an excellent coach in his corner. He has pretty bad precision, as evident ie vs Winky. He does have okay handspeed, when he wants to, but due to low workrate, and bad accuracy, it all falls to the ground. Same goes with his jab, which he doesn't use to set something up, and most of the time, its sloppy and hits air.
Pavlik lands at a 20% higher rate than the avg. MW. If that is your definition of decent, I would love to see what you rate as great?
jsimps is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum