Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #16
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588
Default Re: Analysis- Taylor vs Pavlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Another thing MSTR, I agree with you, Pavlik is just a B+ level solid fighter, he's NOT 'all that'. He never has been and never will be, this fight will not prove he's a top tier P4P fighter when be blows out Taylor, it will just prove what some people have said about Jermain Taylor all along to be fact.

Taylor is not a top P4P guy either, this is a contest between two B+ level fighters.
Exactly. Pavlik winning this fight will have a lot more to do with how overrated Taylor is, than how great Pavlik is - he may eventually prove himself to be great, but he's gonna have to do more than beat an HBO gift-decision getting hypejob like Taylor to prove it!!
Zakman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #17
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31
But Taylor has good lateral movement and boxing ability, and that works very well against a one dimensional guy like Pavlik. This fight is going to look like Hopkins Trinidad.
Again, boxing fans' idiocy just blows me away at times. Where is his lateral movement?

In specific little spots? The guy falls apart and has a piss defence, as well as stamina issue's.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #18
Lacyace
Forever Knight
ESB Addict

vCash: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimps
Pavlik lands at a 20% higher rate than the avg. MW. If that is your definition of decent, I would love to see what you rate as great?
Wow. Against who? It definately wasn't against anyone who had an actual name. So what he has a high percentage rate against Glass Joe? This is too big of a step-up. Pavilk's going to lose, people are going to be upset. Another hype train derailed, case closed.
Lacyace is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #19
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacyace
Wow. Against who? It definately wasn't against anyone who had an actual name. So what he has a high percentage rate against Glass Joe?
People were impressed by Taylor's 9th round TKO of Raul Marquez.

Well let's see -

McKart, Zertuche, Zuniga & Miranda are above that level of fighter. In fact, when Taylor was coming up, they'd have avoided a gate keeper like Zertuche, just because Zertuche has something called a 'minor punch', unlike the Raul Marquez's of the world.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #20
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
Exactly. Pavlik winning this fight will have a lot more to do with how overrated Taylor is, than how great Pavlik is - he may eventually prove himself to be great, but he's gonna have to do more than beat an HBO gift-decision getting hypejob like Taylor to prove it!!
You're damn right, but it's a good start. Pavlik is much more deserving of holding the belts and it seems he and his manangement will have the oppurtunity afterwards AND the drive to seek out real MW's or SMW's for that matter and really try to prove their man win or lose.

They won't dance around with light hitting LMW fighters, even when they HAVE incredible negotiation room like Taylor has had due to being a BIG NAME and therefore, big money draw and I respect Pavlik a whole lot more.

Pavlik also is articulate, he's a better spokesperson for boxing over that stuttering, insecure joke known as Jermain Taylor.

Can't wait until we dish out the crow Zak.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #21
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Again, boxing fans' idiocy just blows me away at times. Where is his lateral movement?

In specific little spots? The guy falls apart and has a piss defence, as well as stamina issue's.
Falls apart? Falls apart but still wins? Im going to save this comment so you can eat it after the fight.
Remember hes not fighting Hopkins for his first title. Hes fighting a basic fighter with a chip on his shoulder. Its a lot easier to show off your boxing skills against a fighter like Pavlik than a guy like Wright, Hopkins or Spinks. Hes going to have a guy coming at him all night, hes not going to have to go looking for him.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #22
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You're damn right, but it's a good start. Pavlik is much more deserving of holding the belts and it seems he and his manangement will have the oppurtunity afterwards AND the drive to seek out real MW's or SMW's for that matter and really try to prove their man win or lose.

They won't dance around with light hitting LMW fighters, even when they HAVE incredible negotiation room like Taylor has had due to being a BIG NAME and therefore, big money draw and I respect Pavlik a whole lot more.

Pavlik also is articulate, he's a better spokesperson for boxing over that stuttering, insecure joke known as Jermain Taylor.

Can't wait until we dish out the crow Zak.
Your hatred for Taylor clearly shows. This often clouds judgement when assessing a fight. Skillwise Pavlik is a blue collar fighter compared to Taylor, and unless Taylor comes in out of condition and "falls apart" later in the fight due to it, he should have no problem beating Pavlik quite easily.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #23
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

It does not cloud my judgement, my analysis is spot on and it will show. Taylor is not a technically gifted fighter, he has won on heart against Hopkins and Wright, you cannot on heart alone when you have chin problems, defence issue's and at a severe stylistic disadvantage.

Pavlik keeping pressure on Taylor will win him the fight, because Taylor falls apart under non-stop pressure and he can do little to solve it, especially when he lacks the overall boxing ability and punching power to keep Pavlik at bay the entire fight.

As soon as Pavlik starts landing, the fight is near over.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #24
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
It does not cloud my judgement, my analysis is spot on and it will show. Taylor is not a technically gifted fighter, he has won on heart against Hopkins and Wright, you cannot on heart alone when you have chin problems, defence issue's and at a severe stylistic disadvantage.

Pavlik keeping pressure on Taylor will win him the fight, because Taylor falls apart under non-stop pressure and he can do little to solve it, especially when he lacks the overall boxing ability and punching power to keep Pavlik at bay the entire fight.

As soon as Pavlik starts landing, the fight is near over.
He won on heart against against Hopkins and Taylor, but technically gifted fighters like Tarver, and Mosley couldnt win against either of them?
You are discrediting Taylors boxing ability, its there, just not polished yet to dominate against the better guys like Wright and Hopkins, but still good enough to be competitive with them. Taylor was rushed along in his career, and put in fights he really wasnt ready for, in fact he should have faced a guy with Pavliks skills before ever fighting guys like Hopkins or Wright.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #25
JAM Killer
Coming Through.
ESB Senior Member

I favor Taylor
JAM Killer is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #26
bigeddie27
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
There is a definitely possibility Taylor's accuracy (if he can hit Winky and Spinks occassionally, he can land on a forward coming gung-ho fighter) can hurt Pavlik, I'm another not rating either though.

I don't blame Taylor for ignoring Stewards advice to be honest. Against Spinks he was desperate for Taylor to go forwards and impose himself on the smaller man. What I saw happening when he attempted this was Spinks picking him off as he came towards him. I didn't like Steward's thinking there at all. It was just clichéd strategy that played perfectly in Spinks prefered style.

Taylor is no warrior though.
have to agree with you on that chinahandjoe, it seemed as though when taylor tried to walk through the shots and decapitate spinks he was just hitting air. I thought it was dumb for manny to say that to jermain. Jermain also won that fight by desicion, to call it a draw or a spinks win is just crazy.
bigeddie27 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #27
jsimps
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacyace
Wow. Against who? It definately wasn't against anyone who had an actual name. So what he has a high percentage rate against Glass Joe? This is too big of a step-up. Pavilk's going to lose, people are going to be upset. Another hype train derailed, case closed.
Before JT won the titles, who was on his resume? My point is case you missed it: The AVG for a MW is 57 punches per round. Pavlik's workrate AVG is 80+ per round. Pavlik regardless of who (which I believe is more impressive than JT's before the titles) he fought is clearly showing he is outworking the MW division. Now, add the fact he has tremendous power (90% KO), land ing almost 2x as many power shots -vs- the AVG MW. Pavlik does not have spectacular defense. He will take shots to give shots. But, I feel he has better defense than most give him credit for. He rolls with a lot of those punches. His offense is also a good defense.
jsimps is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #28
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Your hatred for Taylor clearly shows. This often clouds judgement when assessing a fight. Skillwise Pavlik is a blue collar fighter compared to Taylor, and unless Taylor comes in out of condition and "falls apart" later in the fight due to it, he should have no problem beating Pavlik quite easily.
He can't even seem to beat aging fighters and junior middleweights "easily" - and there's a REASON for that.

Taylor is an HBO hype job with questionable whiskers. The Pavlik fight will show all of this, in SPADES!!
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #29
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852

Go Pavlik!! Almost fight time!
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #30
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Its a lot easier to show off your boxing skills against a fighter like Pavlik than a guy like Wright, Hopkins or Spinks.
I agree with this 100%. Taylor is getting it from all angles. Nobody seems to want to say the above - he's been in with awkward, awkward men who would make many fighters look bad.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum