Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Do you think Calzaghe's legacy will improve or decline over time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20a87 View Post
the prime jones vs prime calzaghe argument is a pile of shit considering calzaghe was past his prime when they fought too, anyone anytime does not just walk through calzaghe
ok...fair enough..maybe you're right...I can't argue it too much..
doug.ie is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

It'll get better particularly in British circles. What happens is people tend to get a sense of perspective over the years when they realize this type of fighter does not grow on trees.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #18
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

Or people look back at the past through rose tinted glasses and let the sense of imaginative history get the better of them
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #19
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Nope, people will realize when very few achieve what Calzaghe did. You don't need any type of glasses to note facts, we havn't had many undisputed champions nevermind undefeated and ring champ at 2 weights. And there won't be that many in the future.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

Khan ??

My tip for the future................ Ronnie Heffron
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #21
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I think the give away was Jeffd Henry Wharton comment. Wharton was a good fighter at his level but I don't even Calzaghes worst enemy would call that a 50/50 fight.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 AM   #22
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Nope, people will realize when very few achieve what Calzaghe did. You don't need any type of glasses to note facts, we havn't had many undisputed champions nevermind undefeated and ring champ at 2 weights. And there won't be that many in the future.
Circumstance led to Calzaghes success not incredible talent. There is not one victory on his entire record to suggest he would have been too good for the likes of Benn, Eubank, Hopkins, Jones jnr, Collins, Toney, Griffin, Michelzewski, Mclellon, Francis, Wharton, Reid, Johnson etc

He was exceptionally lucky that the division was empty. He was the only fighter capable of bringing in bums consistantly without having to worry about tickets due to the Sky connection.

Name one fighter on his record that Nigel Benn couldn't have beaten- at the time Calzaghe beat them. And don't say Hopkins because that was hardly conclusive. Collins would have beaten everyone of them too. Then they would have been 46-0.

Would Calzaghe have beaten Mike MCallum? A prime and hungry Eubank? A peak Watson? I doubt it very much.

Calzaghes career was the kind of miricle we are unlikely to see again but his perfromances paint an entirely different picture.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #23
TheUnstoppable
Contender
ESB Senior Member

His legacy will decline; the public barely knew or liked him when he was active and taking his last few fights. He's on the way to being forgotten already.

Just look up Muhammad Ali on youtube and see the countless videos, for a man that fought decades ago.

Look up Calzaghe in 30 years time; think about what you'll find ..

People still discuss the ins and outs of Vitali vs Lennox, did Liston take a dive against Ali, was Meldrick Taylor robbed 12 seconds away from glory, how would Tyson have fared if Cus hadnt died etc.

Us fight fans will discuss topics for years until the cows come home; Calzaghe ending his career fighting 40 year olds, eeking out controversial split decisions and beating on shot legends wont be forgotten.

The public will forget him, boxing fans will remember him, but for all the reasons we discuss him today.
TheUnstoppable is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #24
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
jesus....jeff thomas !!....i didnt realise you sat on that side of the fence when it came to calzaghe.
well...if theres any opinions i respect on here, yours is one of them...but, even talking about prime benn, eubank, toney, jones, hopkins is neither here nor there as we'll never know...
my way of looking at it is..that we'll never know how he would have done against a prime jones {and i agree..i think jones would walk through him}...and to be wbo champ for so long before moving to lacy, kessler etc means he was a much shorter time as best at super middle than what people may think...
but...that win over kessler cannot be underestimated, and if kessler wins the super six even more so...and although you can call hopkins past his best, you have to look at that pavlik fight.....hopkins wasnt shot like jones, hopkins is one of those freaks like archie moore and foreman etc...but, then again, it was awfully close to call it a decisive win...

will calzaghes legacy improve over time?...maybe not.

and jeff....do you really think pavlik is a club fighter ?

or is your post a wind-up jeffro ?

I was actually been serious about a lot of my post Doug. Pavlik is a giant club fighter. He's awful. Just because he can pack a cruiserweight body into the middleweight division doesn't mean he;s a great IMO.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #25
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnstoppable View Post
Look up Calzaghe in 30 years time; think about what you'll find ..
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIzvBDa5P3Q[/ame]
Old 10-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #26
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
I was actually been serious about a lot of my post Doug. Pavlik is a giant club fighter. He's awful. Just because he can pack a cruiserweight body into the middleweight division doesn't mean he;s a great IMO.
Cruiserweight body?! He looked flabby at 175...he would start looking like Ricky Hatton looks right now if he tried to weigh 200. He may be fairly tall, but his build is not that of a CW.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 AM   #27
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
It'll get better particularly in British circles. What happens is people tend to get a sense of perspective over the years when they realize this type of fighter does not grow on trees.
I agree, people are very critical of active or recently active boxers. Time gives a better perspective.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #28
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2019

Quote:
Calzaghe fans are DESPERATE for him to be accepted by mainstream fans as one of the greats.
Calzaghe haters are DESPERATE for him NEVER to be accepted by mainstream fans as one of the greats

Grant1 is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #29
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1 View Post
Calzaghe haters are DESPERATE for him NEVER to be accepted by mainstream fans as one of the greats
Nah, my ones better
Old 10-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #30
Utter1
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Circumstance led to Calzaghes success not incredible talent. There is not one victory on his entire record to suggest he would have been too good for the likes of Benn, Eubank, Hopkins, Jones jnr, Collins, Toney, Griffin, Michelzewski, Mclellon, Francis, Wharton, Reid, Johnson etc

He was exceptionally lucky that the division was empty. He was the only fighter capable of bringing in bums consistantly without having to worry about tickets due to the Sky connection.

Name one fighter on his record that Nigel Benn couldn't have beaten- at the time Calzaghe beat them. And don't say Hopkins because that was hardly conclusive. Collins would have beaten everyone of them too. Then they would have been 46-0.

Would Calzaghe have beaten Mike MCallum? A prime and hungry Eubank? A peak Watson? I doubt it very much.

Calzaghes career was the kind of miricle we are unlikely to see again but his perfromances paint an entirely different picture.

Some points are bang on, its the same thing when i referred to Hatton and Witter....give Witter the very same fights, at exactly the same time that Hatton got them and he to would have enjoy the same success as Hatton.

Joe Calazaghe
Great british fighter.
Decent world level champion.

ALL TIME GREAT? no way.
Utter1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum