Old 10-28-2009, 05:06 AM   #31
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: horice notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
while you're there bennie...did you ever see kevin mac corrmick from wales...aba heavyweight champ....think he fought danny williams at the commonwealth games.
wonder why he didnt go pro...maybe you'll know.
I was always impressed with McCormack. He reminded me a little of Francesco Damiani, the blubbery Italian whose build belied his undoubted boxing ability. McCormack could really box but was involved in biting incident in a bout (I cannot recall the details) which may have cost him a pro licence.
bennie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2009, 05:07 AM   #32
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

george...not jerry then ...d'oh!

again...what an encyclopeadic knowledge.

next question goes wayy back...and i'm not trying to test you...but no-one could give me much info on this...
what was paul sykes like as an amatuer?...i have seen it said he was very good...

and, while i have you...lee macdonald {zammo from grange hill}...i seen videos of him as an amatuer and he was superb i thought, he even was on telly in the 80's i remember, some schoolboy championship that henry cooper was presenting....you ever see him box bennie?...or bigcat ?
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 05:17 AM   #33
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
george...not jerry then ...d'oh!

again...what an encyclopeadic knowledge.

next question goes wayy back...and i'm not trying to test you...but no-one could give me much info on this...
what was paul sykes like as an amatuer?...i have seen it said he was very good...

and, while i have you...lee macdonald {zammo from grange hill}...i seen videos of him as an amatuer and he was superb i thought, he even was on telly in the 80's i remember, some schoolboy championship that henry cooper was presenting....you ever see him box bennie?...or bigcat ?
Not sure about Sykes as an amateur. As a pro he had the talent but not the temperament. He was a very disturbed man, in truth, and died quite recently of alcoholism.
"Zammo" won national titles in the schoolboys or juniors. You would have seen him on the box when, as you say, he featured in Henry Cooper's Golden Gloves event on Channel 4 in the 1980s. He could undoubtedly fight but a car crash cost him his career (I think it messed up his back) and he now runs his own locks and latches shop.
bennie is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 05:34 AM   #34
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

yeah...i know about sykes as a pro bennie....he got a mother of a beating from gardner...he started ok first round or two but got punished badly up to the 6th where he just turned and walked from gardner...i always wondered if he could have been good...many many years in prison meant he didnt turn pro till he was 32, and that british title shot came the next year after only 6 fights or something...

what did you think of gardner bennie...did he do much at amatuer ?....always thought he could have been a very good cruiserweight, but i think those were the days just before cruiserweight, right ?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:48 AM   #35
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
yeah...i know about sykes as a pro bennie....he got a mother of a beating from gardner...he started ok first round or two but got punished badly up to the 6th where he just turned and walked from gardner...i always wondered if he could have been good...many many years in prison meant he didnt turn pro till he was 32, and that british title shot came the next year after only 6 fights or something...

what did you think of gardner bennie...did he do much at amatuer ?....always thought he could have been a very good cruiserweight, but i think those were the days just before cruiserweight, right ?

Yes they were but he stopped Ossie Ocasio (who also quit like Sykes) who went on to become a very successful cruiser. Gardner was a superfit, non-punching heavy who ground the ambition out of his opponents but ran into a peaking Mike Dokes and was destroyed. He lacked world class ability but dominated a poor domestic scene prior to Bruno.
bennie is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #36
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

i should change the title of this thread...i've gone off topic so much..

bennie, what did you think of terry marsh....i know his pro career {i used to have a video tape years back of his fight with southpaw clinton mackenzie for the british title - superb fight...seen a few other fights, but that one sticks with me}, but wouldnt know too much about his amatuer, apart from he won aba titles...
but i have this picture of him that ever since he laced gloves he was blessed with success right through am's and pro's...was he as good as an am as it looks on paper bennie ?...
can you imagine him and hatton ?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #37
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
i should change the title of this thread...i've gone off topic so much..

bennie, what did you think of terry marsh....i know his pro career {i used to have a video tape years back of his fight with southpaw clinton mackenzie for the british title - superb fight...seen a few other fights, but that one sticks with me}, but wouldnt know too much about his amatuer, apart from he won aba titles...
but i have this picture of him that ever since he laced gloves he was blessed with success right through am's and pro's...was he as good as an am as it looks on paper bennie ?...
can you imagine him and hatton ?
He was a quality amateur who should have gone to the 1980 Moscow Olympics but for the fact - always very much his own man - he refused a box-off with Liverpool's Joey Frost, whom he had already licked on the way to the ABA welterweight title in 1980. He would definitely have medalled in Moscow. Brian Schumacher, Terry's fellow boxer and compatriot in the Royal Marines, said Marsh could achieve anything he set his mind on and that Marsh would have won gold. He went all the way to the top as a pro, so why not?
Marsh stayed amateur for another year and played with Chris Pyatt in the 1981 ABA welterweight final before signing with Frank ******. He was ******'s first signing and first world champion.
bennie is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #38
davidjay
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Didn't Gardner get beaten up in the street and it affected him mentally, made him afraid to leave the house or something like that?
davidjay is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #39
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjay View Post
Didn't Gardner get beaten up in the street and it affected him mentally, made him afraid to leave the house or something like that?
i heard he got an awful stabbing, nearly died.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #40
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie View Post
He was a quality amateur who should have gone to the 1980 Moscow Olympics but for the fact - always very much his own man - he refused a box-off with Liverpool's Joey Frost, whom he had already licked on the way to the ABA welterweight title in 1980.
didnt something similar happen with tony bellew a few years back now...i could be wrong though.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #41
Decy
Barely Coherent
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie View Post
He was a quality amateur who should have gone to the 1980 Moscow Olympics but for the fact - always very much his own man - he refused a box-off with Liverpool's Joey Frost, whom he had already licked on the way to the ABA welterweight title in 1980. He would definitely have medalled in Moscow. Brian Schumacher, Terry's fellow boxer and compatriot in the Royal Marines, said Marsh could achieve anything he set his mind on and that Marsh would have won gold. He went all the way to the top as a pro, so why not?
Marsh stayed amateur for another year and played with Chris Pyatt in the 1981 ABA welterweight final before signing with Frank ******. He was ******'s first signing and first world champion.

I am from Portsmouth & remember Schumacher from his Navy days he was a freak of nature he was so tall and skinny.I trained at Fareham ABA and we used to spar the Navy team they put me in with Schumacher and it was like fighting an octopus I dont think I laid a glove on him.If my memory is right he lost to Virgil Hill at the Olympics.He beat Jonny Nelson as a pro I think aswell.
Decy is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #42
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decy View Post
I am from Portsmouth & remember Schumacher from his Navy days he was a freak of nature he was so tall and skinny.I trained at Fareham ABA and we used to spar the Navy team they put me in with Schumacher and it was like fighting an octopus I dont think I laid a glove on him.If my memory is right he lost to Virgil Hill at the Olympics.He beat Jonny Nelson as a pro I think aswell.
An early, petrified Nelson, who still managed to floor Brian. Nevertheless, Schumacher was a fine amateur who beat Henry Maske in the unpaid ranks.
bennie is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #43
Decy
Barely Coherent
ESB Addict

[. He was ******'s first signing and first world champion.[/quote]

Nearly his last aswell

ps alledgedly
Decy is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #44
richie bee
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Horace was quite light for a heavyweight today, quite a technical fighter, George Francis rated him highly ( above Mason ) and really thought he could go all the way, unfortunately the eye damage happened and that was the end. Gary mason at the time was always considered overweight in those days as heavyweights were always round the 16 stone mark, George took him to a Health Farm to train and lose weight and he weighed in heavier. Looking back Terry Lawless had 3 good heavyweights in its stable but really odd that all had the final curtain called on their careers ultimately by eye damage
richie bee is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #45
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie bee View Post
Gary mason at the time was always considered overweight in those days as heavyweights were always round the 16 stone mark, George took him to a Health Farm to train and lose weight and he weighed in heavier.
i remember that

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum