Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #46
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: horice notice

bennie...i'm forgetting a lot of names...but this thread has me thinking back..
there was an aba champ at heavyweight back around..oh..early 80's...
i think his name was oliver elliott...do you remember him?...seen him ?

also...late 80's a fella i used to know from leamington spa, originally from dublin...was making great waves as an amatuer at middleweight...he was in the back pages of boxing news quite a few times.....gordon behan...he had a good run as a pro too...but i had lost contact with him by the time he had turned pro...did you ever see him on your travels bennie ?
doug.ie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #47
williams7383
jabs like Larry Holmes
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1097

gordon behan ....

I remember his sister Les Behan who liked the girls rather than the guys.
williams7383 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #48
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

this dude Bennie is quickly turning into one of my favourite posters
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #49
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Adrian Elliott... a decent amateur... He once boxed Tyrell Biggs in Milton Keynes in an international match against the USA..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #50
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
this dude Bennie is quickly turning into one of my favourite posters
and mine

sorry...yes...adrian elliott...good man bigcat.
doug.ie is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #51
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301

I am always a little pissed about Horace. I blew my first chance to watch Benn, because I wanted to see Duke McKenzie fight Sot Chitalada, but the brilliant Thai pulled out and Notice/Waters main evented. (Boxrec is wrong Benn fought that night at the Royal Albert Hall, not Wembley!)

Notice would in this era be a very solid Cruiserweight, but even in the late 80s, Notice was just too small. Getting decked by Hughroy Currie is not good, although to be fair he got up and won.

Mason may not of had his ability but even before Horace's premature retirement, it seemed to me Mason was going to have the better chance of becoming world class.

Last edited by TBooze; 10-28-2009 at 07:07 PM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #52
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
I am always a little pissed about Horace. I blew my first chance to watch Benn, because I wanted to see Duke McKenzie fight Sot Chitalada, but the brilliant Thai pulled out and Notice/Waters main evented. (Boxrec is wrong Benn fought that night at the Royal Albert Hall, not Wembley!)

Notice would in this era be a very solid Cruiserweight, but even in the late 80s it was clear Notice was just too small. Getting decked by Hughroy Currie is not good, although to be fair he got up and won.

Mason may not of had his ability but it was getting pretty clear even before Horace's premature retirement, that Mason was going to have the better chance of becoming world class.
I think you are right about that. Had they been the same size I'd have put money on Notice if they fought but I think Mason's physical advantages would have been too much for him. Gary would be a big heavy these days let alone then and would have had 30lb on him.
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2009, 04:42 AM   #53
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Adrian Elliott won the inaugural ABA super-heavyweight title in 1982 with an exciting win over big Keith Ferdinand. He had quick hands and good mobility for a big man. He licked Anders Eklund in an England vs Sweden international and, as Bigcat rightly points out, dropped a verdict to Tyrell Biggs against the USA. He went pro with Duff and Lawless (inevitably) and looked a 'gimmee' for the future but a then unsung Hughroy Currie 'done' him in a real shocker.
Adrian just drifted from the scene.
bennie is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #54
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams7383 View Post
gordon behan ....

I remember his sister Les Behan who liked the girls rather than the guys.
He was just a bit after my time. I looked at his pro record and, yes, he was very tasty, just one loss in 14 to good Scot James Lowther. I'm surprised I don't remember him.
bennie is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #55
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

bennie...you ever see roy gumbs box ?...he had that great battle with mark kaylor...and had kaylor in bad truoble too.
doug.ie is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #56
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Gumbs was a good fighter - smooth, heavy handed and big for middleweight, although he lacked a bit of confidence in himself. He was chucked in with everyone at the start of his career but eventually linked up with Frank ****** and showed what he could do with proper backing. He cruised to a Lonsdale Belt outright and won the Commonwealth title in a thriller in Canada before Kaylor outgamed him in that 1983 Ally Pally classic. He later fought for a version of the world super-middleweight title.
Today, Roy runs a succesful bar and restaurant in his native St Kitts.
bennie is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #57
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i was surprised errol christie fell apart the way he did.we've had a lot of nearly men in the middleweight division like roy gumbs.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #58
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

ah, bennie...you know everything.

right...how about an old favourite of mine from over here...but he used to box in america...i dont expect you may know much about him, but he really is the forgotten man of irish boxing...and overlooked way too much when lists of irish boxers are made...
sean mannion.

he fought mike mccallum for the wba middleweight title in 84...also beat future world champ in' chuel-beak...

the whole country was flying flags here and it was on tv /radio ever hour in the week leading up to mc guigan v pedroza...but a year earlier no-one even knew about the galway man boxing for the middleweight title.

i've met sean and had a good chat with him in 2006 and he looked worse for wear, like punces took their toll, he was telling me when he and steve collins used to spar a lot in boston....i spoke to him on the phone this year and he sounds much improved healthwise....i'd like him to show up at bunceys show in dublin next month.

i do understand that by boxing all his fights in america, then you couldnt expect the public to know much bout him, but i expected the media should have made more of him.

you know much about him bennie ?
doug.ie is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #59
bennie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
i was surprised errol christie fell apart the way he did.we've had a lot of nearly men in the middleweight division like roy gumbs.
Christie had too many bouts as an amateur and lacked scope for improvement as a pro as a consequence, and it didn't help that he was matched too softly prior to Kaylor, either.
Basically, Errol was already pro in the last few years of his amateur career, if that makes sense.
bennie is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #60
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie View Post
Christie had too many bouts as an amateur and lacked scope for improvement as a pro as a consequence, and it didn't help that he was matched too softly prior to Kaylor, either.
Basically, Errol was already pro in the last few years of his amateur career, if that makes sense.
yes,it does make sense.i know his amateur CV was impressive.
turpinr is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum