Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-22-2007, 01:34 AM   #1
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Took a trip to the local gym today

I took a trip to a well known local gym today to check it out. I was surprised to see what the rates are. It is $130 for a one month unlimited pass. The unlimited pass means that you can attend any and all of the training sessions that they offer (there are about 5 per day ranging from cardio workouts to bag training). The price seemed a little steep in my opinion, but I guess this is one of the best (or the best) gym in Minneapolis. I was curious how this compares to what other people pay?
cardstars is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2007, 02:29 AM   #2
Lostmykeys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2036
Default Re: Took a trip to the local gym today

My gym has a $100 sign up fee then 60 dollar monthly payments.
Lostmykeys is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yeah, it ranges.
But thats a really good price considering hiring a coach can a cost like 30-40 dollars a lesson.
But I hope these aren't big group classes, don't hope to learn much boxing in those.
Biggest groups of people I every normally train at once is 3 or 4 and I hate doing it cause it's hard to concentrate on each person individually.
Solo teaching is the best, you can learn so much.
gregsid is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsid
Yeah, it ranges.
But thats a really good price considering hiring a coach can a cost like 30-40 dollars a lesson.
But I hope these aren't big group classes, don't hope to learn much boxing in those.
Biggest groups of people I every normally train at once is 3 or 4 and I hate doing it cause it's hard to concentrate on each person individually.
Solo teaching is the best, you can learn so much.
When I visited there the lessons had only one or two people per instructor so it looks pretty good in terms of student per instructor
Old 09-22-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
atg

Yea you learn more induvidually. At the gym I'm at now they focus on induviduals more, its ussually in small training sessions. But theres another gym nearby that always boasts they have trained the most golden glove champions and all that ****. But the thing is they have about 20x more people than any other gym in the area. Someone who goes to my gym now said they didn't even teach him the punches or the footwork right. At his third day in they had him sparring.

I think that rate sounds ok actually, its a little steep though. As long as the classes aren't huge and you attend them frequently I'd say you could get moneys worth.
atg is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
Mistadobalina
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

wow, wtf. i have a question, are these gyms you guys speak of those upclass "everything" gyms that have kickboxing, yoga, pilates, treadmills with plasma screen tv''s on the walls, etc.? those prices truly are steep.

the AM gym i used to go to charged a $25 yearly donation, and if you were under 15, it was free of charge. then the gym over where julio gonzales trains at in la habra, ca (as well as edwin valero for a short time when he was still here in the states) is free as well for youths, and only charges $30 a month for adults with no prior experience. and on top of that, they have (or had, it's been years since i've seen the place) a pool table for the city kids to mess with.
Mistadobalina is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistadobalina
wow, wtf. i have a question, are these gyms you guys speak of those upclass "everything" gyms that have kickboxing, yoga, pilates, treadmills with plasma screen tv''s on the walls, etc.? those prices truly are steep.

the AM gym i used to go to charged a $25 yearly donation, and if you were under 15, it was free of charge. then the gym over where julio gonzales trains at in la habra, ca (as well as edwin valero for a short time when he was still here in the states) is free as well for youths, and only charges $30 a month for adults with no prior experience. and on top of that, they have (or had, it's been years since i've seen the place) a pool table for the city kids to mess with.

No this place is not extremely upscale. It reminded me of the gyms in the Rocky movies. lol. Lots of boxing equipment with a few full size rings, etc but definitely not "upscale" with tvs or anything. There is a kickboxing instructor though...
Old 09-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistadobalina

Boxing gyms nowadays are closing down like crazy because they aren't making any money.
So alot of them are charging a decent a amount for lessons and such.
Gleasons Gym in NYC is a very famous boxing gym and they charge alot for lessons and membership.
gregsid is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2007, 12:04 AM   #9
Mistadobalina
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardstars
No this place is not extremely upscale. It reminded me of the gyms in the Rocky movies. lol. Lots of boxing equipment with a few full size rings, etc but definitely not "upscale" with tvs or anything. There is a kickboxing instructor though...
i see. damn, i must just be lucky to be in my area then. it's kinda sad to see that even good gyms that produce real fighters are turning out to be pricy. it's like they're barring off the poor and working class folk, the men who made boxing what it is.

anyway, does your city have a local P.A.L., or any city run boxing programs? those are pretty good alternatives.
Mistadobalina is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
ralphc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardstars
I took a trip to a well known local gym today to check it out. I was surprised to see what the rates are. It is $130 for a one month unlimited pass. The unlimited pass means that you can attend any and all of the training sessions that they offer (there are about 5 per day ranging from cardio workouts to bag training). The price seemed a little steep in my opinion, but I guess this is one of the best (or the best) gym in Minneapolis. I was curious how this compares to what other people pay?

In his book Joe Frazier gives you some guidlines on how to evaluate a boxing gym. It is worth reading. What really counts is who is doing to the training, not the facilities and equipment with which you train. You don't need a million dollars worth of techno-junk to become a boxing champion.
ralphc is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #11
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

the best gyms in the world have been the 'hole-in-the-wall' gyms
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #12
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
the best gyms in the world have been the 'hole-in-the-wall' gyms
Yeah, of the better gyms I've been too was on the second floor of a barn outside a farm lol.
gregsid is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphc
In his book Joe Frazier gives you some guidlines on how to evaluate a boxing gym. It is worth reading. What really counts is who is doing to the training, not the facilities and equipment with which you train. You don't need a million dollars worth of techno-junk to become a boxing champion.

Thanks ill check it out. I was actually going to start a thread asking what I should look for when I go back. There is a free 1 hour intro class that I am going to attend and was wondering what to look for in a good gym/instructors.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
atg

Yea, I know a gym kinda close by that is free to go to, its all volunteer but it is actually pretty nice. I went there to spar a few weeks ago, the trainers didn't seem bad, and they had some good fighters too.

I kinda wish my own community would set up a gym but lots of people are against boxing these days sadly...
atg is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #15
blindfly69

vCash:

i wouldnt know...where i go is free...but i really feel guilty about it sometimes though.. i feel like i should pay somethin

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing