Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 09-22-2007, 12:44 AM   #1
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Anybody remember Jukka Jarvinen?

A Finnish heavyweight that found his way into the book "Rocky Lives" by going 17-0 and then losing to 2-5 journeyman Petr Hrivnak in two rounds. Anybody even recall the fight or was it too obscure?
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
VHB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Anybody remember Jukka Jarvinen?

Järvinen had ok skills but had no serious power. KO loss in round 1 to Tony Halme about tells it all. Still, I´d call him a boxer, not a journeyman. At his peak, Järvinen was maybe even good enough for some EU rank list or so... but he fought some terrible fights too.
VHB is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHB
Järvinen had ok skills but had no serious power. KO loss in round 1 to Tony Halme about tells it all. Still, I´d call him a boxer, not a journeyman. At his peak, Järvinen was maybe even good enough for some EU rank list or so... but he fought some terrible fights too.
Thanks for the info.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

In my eyes Järvinen was terrible. He got knocked out several times already in the amateur ranks. Järvinen had the worst china-chin that I have ever seen. Every time someone just touched his chin, he was badly hurt or went down. And I do mean EVERY time. And the guy had no survivor-insting either. When he was hurt he always got also knocked out.

Järvinen had no offence. He was a pure countrer puncher. All that he did do in his fights was that stood there and waited his to do a mistake. He did not have any KO-power (he did not stop anyone (not even 0-14,(12 by KO Mikhail Nikitin) from 1996-2005), but he had some stiff punches and most of all he looked great. He had a great body, so most of his opponents was afread of him. Some of his opponents did not know that all they had to was to land one punch at his chin and the muscular man would cramble. Järvinen was a left handed and I bet that he had a akward style. He looked great and made no offence. So, the opponent had to start all the action. Järvinen won many of his fight simply becouse his opponent did not do anything. 90% of his fights were very boring. Usually both boxers throw about 1-2 punches per a round .
Toney is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHB
At his peak, Järvinen was maybe even good enough for some EU rank list or so...
For what I saw there was no way that he would had ever beat someone from EBU:s EU list...

Englishman Pele Reid is the last ranked (20th) heavyweight in European Union rankings... And I would bet my life that even todays over the hill Reid would stop Järvinen inside 3 rounds. And also other guys in the list would beat Järvinen. No doubt about it.
Toney is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 AM   #6
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toney
In my eyes Järvinen was terrible. He got knocked out several times already in the amateur ranks. Järvinen had the worst china-chin that I have ever seen. Every time someone just touched his chin, he was badly hurt or went down. And I do mean EVERY time. And the guy had no survivor-insting either. When he was hurt he always got also knocked out.

Järvinen had no offence. He was a pure countrer puncher. All that he did do in his fights was that stood there and waited his to do a mistake. He did not have any KO-power (he did not stop anyone (not even 0-14,(12 by KO Mikhail Nikitin) from 1996-2005), but he had some stiff punches and most of all he looked great. He had a great body, so most of his opponents was afread of him. Some of his opponents did not know that all they had to was to land one punch at his chin and the muscular man would cramble. Järvinen was a left handed and I bet that he had a akward style. He looked great and made no offence. So, the opponent had to start all the action. Järvinen won many of his fight simply becouse his opponent did not do anything. 90% of his fights were very boring. Usually both boxers throw about 1-2 punches per a round .
Maybe it's late, but I almost pissed myself laughing at this post.

I have never heard of Jarvinnen (sp?), btw.
Axe is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
Leifhackman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

The more well known Järvinen from Finland is a cross-country ski manufacturing company. I don't know if they're in business either these days
Leifhackman is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 AM   #8
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Järvinen is here in the right:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
His opponent is Vladislav Druso.
Toney is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Excellent stuff Toney. Can u tell me about the Hrivnak fight? Do u remember it?
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
Jens S
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hrivnak was actually an ok amateur. Twice in the olympic quarterfinal losin to Bowe and Nielsen. He was rated top10 in the world as an amateur several times. Jarvinens record is extremely padded though.

Jens
Jens S is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2007, 03:00 AM   #11
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens S
Hrivnak was actually an ok amateur. Twice in the olympic quarterfinal losin to Bowe and Nielsen. He was rated top10 in the world as an amateur several times. Jarvinens record is extremely padded though.

Jens
Perfect example of how a good amateur background doesn't necessarily translate into success in the pro ranks. Henry Tillman and Tyrell Biggs are other good examples.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2007, 02:18 AM   #12
Leifhackman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leifhackman
The more well known Järvinen from Finland is a cross-country ski manufacturing company. I don't know if they're in business either these days
Even MORE well known Järvinen was Albert Järvinen (R.I.P.).
Leifhackman is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
VHB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

By the way, no one needs to beat anyone from some list to be on it. About 80% of the fighters on EBU or EU lists haven´t fought the other guys from those lists. Look at John Duddy, he hasn´t beat ANYBODY and yet he´s placed well on world lists, and I mean ANYBODY because he´s like 4th or 5th challenger to PAVLIK now. Jukka Järvinen could have made it on EU list by winning some decent wins more instead of falling to Halme and that one guy who beat him before that. He could have been schooled by Pele Reid and yet that does not mean anything considering him being on that list.
VHB is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHB
By the way, no one needs to beat anyone from some list to be on it. About 80% of the fighters on EBU or EU lists haven´t fought the other guys from those lists. Look at John Duddy, he hasn´t beat ANYBODY and yet he´s placed well on world lists, and I mean ANYBODY because he´s like 4th or 5th challenger to PAVLIK now. Jukka Järvinen could have made it on EU list by winning some decent wins more instead of falling to Halme and that one guy who beat him before that. He could have been schooled by Pele Reid and yet that does not mean anything considering him being on that list.
Does anybody actually have the fight with Jarvinen and Hrivnak? That's what I want to know.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #15
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHB
Who gives a **** about listings if the guy don´t earn his place there. And Mr. Pertti Augustin from Finland is working the EBU ratings. So you think that someone that have seen Järvinen would rank him anywhere? No ****ing way.

BTW did you know that Järvinen have actually been ranked #2 in the world! And that was few years after his "prime".

"Jukka Järvinen could have made it on EU list by winning some decent wins more " --> WTF? Järvinen never had no decent wins. Järvinen himself has said in many interviews that his best win is over Jack Jackson, who was 1-11 at the time. That just tells all abour Mr. Järvinen. He needed a terrible hometown decision to get a win over 2-6 Ladislav Husarik. There was no way that Järvinen could had got any "more decent wins".
Toney is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum