Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #16
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Foster KO2 Robinson

As in, no matter who you show him to, Robinson is the one to impress all? I have a song like that. It's called Waterfall.

I don't think Robinson's movement would do much apart from prolong the beating. He'd get his shots in, but in not being able to stand still for long, he'd miss crucial, potentially worthwhile opportunities. Robinson was best as a Hearns prototype, offensive and snake-like at a neutral range, you only need to see his early '50s and '40s footage to see that. He'd be outgunned against Foster who was in many ways the same fighter except 30lbs heavier and who'd outjab Robinson even going forward.

I don't think people like to imagine the great man falling to anything less than a nuclear blast, but compared to Robinson, Foster's fists did contain atomic power.

I've had arguments before with people about Robinson-Moore and how Ray would last the distance or even be in with a chance of winning - and they always bring up the Maxim fight - 'he would have won, if not for the heat.'
Maxim was conserving his own energy too, of course, and let Robinson have a lot more slack than he usually would. Maxim didn't always fight like that and I have the footage to prove it.

Not to mention, Maxim had only a welterweight's power anyway, not the heavyweight crunching right hand (or left hook) of Archie Moore. Or Ezzard Charles, or Michael Spinks, and certainly not Bob Foster, who, as it turns out, rarely affected heavyweights with his punches, but for reasons other than power.

His power was fine and probably heavyweight in class. But a fighter who is fairly frail compared to his opponent will naturally take the back foot, and that would negate most of Foster's power from the start. Add to that, trying to avoid Frazier's terror hooks to the body, you'd be frightened to raise an arm. The taller Terrell's assortment of long jabs, the indomitable will of Ali or the thirty pounds of extra strength on Folley's frame...

This is the most rambling of posts, but it's late. Ultimately, I don't believe Robinson - who never really proved he could take a hard middleweight punch (just a shit load of decent ones) - would be able to stand up to a man four inches taller, twenty five or thirty pounds naturally heavier, who punched like a good heavyweight; and who could outbox him. Not even for six rounds.

And then, in essence, Roberto Duran shouldn't be judged too harshly on his splattering by Foster's lighter but equally fearsome successor.
Manassa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2009, 05:38 AM   #17
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
As in, no matter who you show him to, Robinson is the one to impress all? I have a song like that. It's called Waterfall.

I don't think Robinson's movement would do much apart from prolong the beating. He'd get his shots in, but in not being able to stand still for long, he'd miss crucial, potentially worthwhile opportunities. Robinson was best as a Hearns prototype, offensive and snake-like at a neutral range, you only need to see his early '50s and '40s footage to see that. He'd be outgunned against Foster who was in many ways the same fighter except 30lbs heavier and who'd outjab Robinson even going forward.

I don't think people like to imagine the great man falling to anything less than a nuclear blast, but compared to Robinson, Foster's fists did contain atomic power.

I've had arguments before with people about Robinson-Moore and how Ray would last the distance or even be in with a chance of winning - and they always bring up the Maxim fight - 'he would have won, if not for the heat.'
Maxim was conserving his own energy too, of course, and let Robinson have a lot more slack than he usually would. Maxim didn't always fight like that and I have the footage to prove it.

Not to mention, Maxim had only a welterweight's power anyway, not the heavyweight crunching right hand (or left hook) of Archie Moore. Or Ezzard Charles, or Michael Spinks, and certainly not Bob Foster, who, as it turns out, rarely affected heavyweights with his punches, but for reasons other than power.

His power was fine and probably heavyweight in class. But a fighter who is fairly frail compared to his opponent will naturally take the back foot, and that would negate most of Foster's power from the start. Add to that, trying to avoid Frazier's terror hooks to the body, you'd be frightened to raise an arm. The taller Terrell's assortment of long jabs, the indomitable will of Ali or the thirty pounds of extra strength on Folley's frame...

This is the most rambling of posts, but it's late. Ultimately, I don't believe Robinson - who never really proved he could take a hard middleweight punch (just a shit load of decent ones) - would be able to stand up to a man four inches taller, twenty five or thirty pounds naturally heavier, who punched like a good heavyweight; and who could outbox him. Not even for six rounds.

And then, in essence, Roberto Duran shouldn't be judged too harshly on his splattering by Foster's lighter but equally fearsome successor.
Foster didnt cope that well with movement ,as Anderson, Fourie and Tessman showed,but it wasnt in Ray's nature to fight on the backfoot.

Undoubtedly Ray never faced a puncher like Foster, but he met around 140 middleweights,none ever stopped him and very few dropped him.Turpin was a decent banger, 45kos in 66 wins, he couldn't floor a 30 year old Ray in two fights.Graziano briefly downed him , but in the main he stayed upright ,and some of those 140 must have had some pop.

There is a lot of revisionism about the Maxim fight ,"it was just as hot for Joey ,he was biding his time etc".
Ringside reporters such as Peter Wilson said Ray lapped him ,he was outpointing him so handily he began to show boat and make extravagant moves ,akin to a survivor in the desert washing his hair with his canteen of water.WC Heinz,said Ray's ego got the better of him and he ultimately out smarted himself,not the plodding Maxim,whom by the way I think is underated.

Certainly I think Foster wins this and emphatically, likewise a projected match with Moore would go the same way ,chances of this fight fell through after Ray and Archie had dinner one night and discussed it but Moore said "Ray wanted all the money".
Maybe I just dont want to accept that Ray ends up with his face in the canvas.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Finnegan gave Foster problems with hard straight shots. And he didnt use a lot of movement. Ray had the benefit of having good movement and fat hard straight shots
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #19
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3600

all i know is that foster would have won.
i do not know how.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #20
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
All speculation is, at the crux of it, useless.
Will your computer explode the next time you turn it on?
itrymariti is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #21
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Finnegan gave Foster problems with hard straight shots. And he didnt use a lot of movement. Ray had the benefit of having good movement and fat hard straight shots
Finnegan was far stronger than Robinson and was able to stand his ground. That's why he found success with straight, hard punches, but Robinson would likely be on the run. If that means Foster wouldn't be able to hit him, it also means Robinson wouldn't land much of note.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #22
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Robinson by first round KO, provided he didn't toy with him. Then again, what elite prize fighter would go all out on a 14 year old kid?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #23
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Finnegan was far stronger than Robinson and was able to stand his ground. That's why he found success with straight, hard punches, but Robinson would likely be on the run. If that means Foster wouldn't be able to hit him, it also means Robinson wouldn't land much of note.
good point although Bob did start pushing Finnegan around late
Old 11-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #24
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Robinson by first round KO, provided he didn't toy with him. Then again, what elite prize fighter would go all out on a 14 year old kid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
1952, past his best, a bit overweight. Robinson takes on Bob Foster.

Foster, primed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093
good point although Bob did start pushing Finnegan around late
As it turns out, it's in my top ten favourite fights.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #25
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
This month's Ring magazine features a photo of Ray and Maxim weighing in for their fight and points out that Ray came in at only 157 1/2lbs for that fight .No way he can concede 20lbs to a Lhvy of the calibre and power of Foster and expect to be victorious.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 11-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #26
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Primed for puberty maybe.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #27
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:

As it turns out, it's in my top ten favourite fights.
yeh its a great fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
This month's Ring magazine features a photo of Ray and Maxim weighing in for their fight and points out that Ray came in at only 157 1/2lbs for that fight .No way he can concede 20lbs to a Lhvy of the calibre and power of Foster and expect to be victorious.
why does it show the picture any interesting article?

might buy it if there is
Old 11-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #28
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Nah, nobody would expect him to win. The odds would be 20-1 I'm sure, but I wondered what people thought of the Duran-Hearns parallel. It was as close as I could get.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #29
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Not the best example, at least Duran weighed 154lbs (and more on fight night) even if he was podgy. How about Hagler-Duran? Or doesnt that work or Mayweather-Hearns/Paul Williams? Or how about Spinks-Tyson?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #30
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
yeh its a great fight

why does it show the picture any interesting article?

might buy it if there is
The picture is there in connection with the upcoming Pacman /Cotto fight, and asking the question has Pacman bitten off more than he can chew?
Its basically a superfight special with predictions on their fight from various experts. A review of the late Arguello,Gatti , and Forrest ,an in memoriam really.An article on the Super middle tourney,and one on Amir Khan,now go and buy it you tight little sod!
mcvey is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum