Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-22-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
marauder1999
Champion
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1293
Default Spinks takes pavlik the distance---

Alot of you only have seen pavlik fight Miranda and you shouldnt as a boxing fan judge a boxer on just one fight, but does anyone, ANYONE, think that Spinks would take Pavlik to the distance and the fight be close enough for Spinks to raise his hands after the fight, as he did with J.T., and think he was the victor?
marauder1999 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
lillarry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1646
Default Re: Spinks takes pavlik the distance---

Spinks would be a tough fight for any fighter in the Middle weight division. Slick soutpaw who doesnt stay in one place. Pavlik would not be able to play rockem sockem robots with a fighter like Spinks. I dont think Pavlik is good at cutting off the ring at this point in his career and that is must if you are to be effective against a fighter like Spinks
lillarry is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
marauder1999
Champion
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillarry
Spinks would be a tough fight for any fighter in the Middle weight division. Slick soutpaw who doesnt stay in one place. Pavlik would not be able to play rockem sockem robots with a fighter like Spinks. I dont think Pavlik is good at cutting off the ring at this point in his career and that is must if you are to be effective against a fighter like Spinks
Point taken--but what about taylor throwing feather punches the whole fight because he was obviously scared of getting hit by Spinks?
marauder1999 is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I reckon against the bigger guys Spinks does better actually.

At 147 he is dealing with guys who possess or are used to a certain level of speed, they are more mobile and can cut off Spinks easier. Though only the better fighters down there could do this.

Against taller, almost lumbering fighters at middlweight Spinks is a nightmare and possibly even more so against Pavlik.
One thing, though it probably go the distance I think the power, strength and aggression of Pavlik would intimidate the shit out of Spinks and he would be even more negative offensively than he was against Taylor.
Pav would be frustrated and made to look shit but I think he would just walk down and physce out Spinks to the points win.

Spinks is a 50-50 fight with a lot of contenders up there though, depends on the how the judges see his running (postively or negatively) and how much punch output he can muster on the night.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
lillarry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder1999
Point taken--but what about taylor throwing feather punches the whole fight because he was obviously scared of getting hit by Spinks?
What I saw was a man trying to press the action but ineffective at doing what he should have done with Spinks which is cut off the ring and force Spinks to fight his type of fight. Fighters like Spinks are hard to look good against.
lillarry is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Pavlik would stop Spinks
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Ambition_Def
**** the people.
ESB Addict

Spinks obviously has the speed and skills to give bigger men trouble, men who are not small or quick enough to trade fast with him.

I think he really exploited the biggest weakness Taylor has though, which is footwork. He kept outside of Taylor's power all night and a good distance from his right hand. All while jumping in, throwing 1-2s and getting out.

I think Pavlik fares better because Spinks would have to commit more. Pavlik keeps his hands high and that means Spinks would have to come closer to get a body shot in or throw more punches upstairs to break Pavlik's guard. Taylor simply is an easy target because he holds his left so low all the time.

I'd give Pavlik a good chance at catching Spinks based solely on that. While he has the superior footwork, Pavlik would not give him any freebies. He'd have to over commit at some point and that's where Pavlik would catch him.
Ambition_Def is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
swedeone
Contender
ESB Senior Member

and loses a very lopsided decision.

Yep... you "might" have that correct.
swedeone is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

You're joking right?? Pavlik bombs Spinks out of there EARLY. Cory didn't have a sturdy chin at 147 - at 160, a hard puncher like Pavlik would have a field day. Maybe it'd take him a few rounds to get the right shot in, but once he did - good-night!
Zakman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum