Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Jimmy Young v linear champs since 1960

How would Jimmy have fared ? I see him beating Johannson,both Spinks bros,Douglas,Bowe,the old Foreman,Moorer and Briggs. Floyd Patterson would be a 'pick em' fight. He would lose to the rest of them. The 1973/74 version of Foreman would find it hard,but he'd prevail.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
THEHAMMER321

Default Re: Jimmy Young v linear champs since 1960

Jimmy Young was a very good defensive fighter who would give anybody a tough time simple cause he could make them miss a lot,i think someone like Joe Frazier would have the easiest time with him based on his style of always throwing punches,as for Holmes that would be one boring fight with Holmes winning a very close decision.
THEHAMMER321 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

IMO Jimmy was an anomaly, comparing eras, he would have given all the former HW champs hell (in his short wheel-house of prime mind you)
Styles make fights and (dammit) Jimmy simply defies that sterotype. Who knows, he could have taken Louis deep, slipped and slided around Marciano, did a Machen 'thing' with Liston, etc...,etc..
Hard to tell with him tho his fall of 75 thru late 77 resume is certainly something to behold...
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think Young would have surprised many with his showings against most of the linear champions...I think he could have beaten any of the guys who came before Dempsey, with the exception MAYBE of Johnson, he could have beaten any of the champions between Tunney and Louis, he would have troubled Walcott and Charles, though he likely would have lost narrowly to them, Marciano would have gotten him after wearing him down and pulverizing his arms, he may have been too slippery for Patterson, Johansson AND Liston, would have troubled Clay/Ali (either incarnation) would have lost decisively to Frazier, ala Marciano, would have beaten Foreman, San Juan conditions or no, would have been a proud decision loser to Tyson, Holmes would have been painfull for him, as would have been the case with Holyfield and Lewis, who may have stopped him...not bad over all, IMO.
red cobra is online now  Top
Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

What I find alarming,is the rate of his deterioration between 1977 and 1978. He'd beaten George Foreman,and run Ken Norton extremely close,then less than a year later lost twice to Ossie Ocasio !
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

It might have been drink and drugs, but to be honest I didn't think he looked amazing or anything against Foreman.
Foreman looked awful.

Ocasio was a different shape and style altogether. A spoiler like Young.

Young is overrated.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
What I find alarming,is the rate of his deterioration between 1977 and 1978. He'd beaten George Foreman,and run Ken Norton extremely close,then less than a year later lost twice to Ossie Ocasio !
ossie ocasio. there's a name!!what became of jaws anyway
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
I think Young would have surprised many with his showings against most of the linear champions...I think he could have beaten any of the guys who came before Dempsey, with the exception MAYBE of Johnson, he could have beaten any of the champions between Tunney and Louis, he would have troubled Walcott and Charles, though he likely would have lost narrowly to them, Marciano would have gotten him after wearing him down and pulverizing his arms, he may have been too slippery for Patterson, Johansson AND Liston, would have troubled Clay/Ali (either incarnation) would have lost decisively to Frazier, ala Marciano, would have beaten Foreman, San Juan conditions or no, would have been a proud decision loser to Tyson, Holmes would have been painfull for him, as would have been the case with Holyfield and Lewis, who may have stopped him...not bad over all, IMO.
I agree that Holyfield and Lewis would have beaten Jimmy,but it's quite feasible that they would've been distance fights. If a faded Tony Tucker could last the distance with Lennox,and a 42 year old Larry Holmes could do the same with Evander,a prime Young would have the smarts and durability to do so.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
ossie ocasio. there's a name!!what became of jaws anyway
I can remember him fighting Larry Holmes,then dropping down to Cruiserweight. Jaws was ok,but not big enough for Heavyweight success.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I agree that Holyfield and Lewis would have beaten Jimmy,but it's quite feasible that they would've been distance fights. If a faded Tony Tucker could last the distance with Lennox,and a 42 year old Larry Holmes could do the same with Evander,a prime Young would have the smarts and durability to do so.
You're probably right about that..and and as to what another poster said about Young not looking that great against Foreman...remember that Young's particular genius was in his negativity...that was his stock in trade..he would have capitalized on Foremans weaknesses at any time of his career and won..and I think he would have made Sonny Liston look very bad, and quite concievably have beaten him...if Marty Marshall could do it..and Eddie Machen could last the disrtance, the much cleverer Young..the master of negativity himself..could have done as good or even better.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Muchmoore

vCash:

Sonny is too good a technician and has too good a jab to lose to Young.

Young is the ultimate spoiler but I really can't envision him beating Liston. It might be close, but Liston's going to always win it based on workrate.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

There were guys who befuddled Liston..who played with his head, and BEFORE Ali, that is. Marty Marshall, Bert Whitehurst, Eddie Machen and Jimmy McCarter....all spooked Liston, and if you don't think Jimmy Young would have...
Old 11-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Young would have driven Liston crazy.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:05 AM   #14
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore View Post
Sonny is too good a technician and has too good a jab to lose to Young.

Young is the ultimate spoiler but I really can't envision him beating Liston. It might be close, but Liston's going to always win it based on workrate.
Liston would have won. Would have taken the distance to do so,though.
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum