Old 12-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Colin Jones v Antonio Margarito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
There wasn't much to get nostalgic about the early eighties was there?.
An unbiased and objective person wouldn't think so, but others here clearly do.

You'll find people who are nostalgic about every stretch of history. 10-20 years from now, you'll be hearing people say, "Cotto or Clottey would've whupped that guy..."
My2Sense is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #17
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I know, i was just fooling around.

Jones should be able to beat Margarito on merit and styles alone though dpesite his own glaring flaws, he's one of the best B level pure punchers of recent decades at the weight, along with Jose Luis Lopez. marching straight in with no skill throwing widely telegraphed punches and taking punches flush is not a good idea against guys like that.It's not ridiculous for anyone to think he'd do well against a lot of recent top ten/champion Welters, which says at least as much about the srength of the division recently as it does him of course.

Cotto, Mayorga, Spinks, old Mosley Judah etc...are on a roughyl similar level to them and the McCrory's, blockers, Brelands of the eighties imo.None of them special or complete.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

wow. im amazed by the answers.

jones though a fantastic puncher, solid chin and a hard jab had little else. a wide stance that cemented him to the ground, low workrate. i think a guy like margo would cramp his style and put him onto the backfoot.

margo was stopped by mosley. but not after getting beaten to the punch and taken apart. i dont think jones has the speed or technique/technical approach to destroy him and in that doesnt have his space to let loose.

margo ud or late stoppage
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #19
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
MArgarito was certainly not more skilled than Jones.He mostly just marches straight in winging telegraphed clubbing hooks.

Jones was a one-dimensional, slow paced plodder that struggled to put punches together against anyone giving him a lot of movement, but he was also mostly technically sound with a very good heavy jab, dangerous offensive arsenal and nice quartey-esque high guard.He was no great talent by any means, but as a pure puncher, most likely on a similar level to someone like Galaxy.No doubt could have had a good reign against that kind of comp.

I'd say strength would be Margo's clear advantage, but not to the extent where i wouldn't expect him to get brutally knocked out in a nice slugfest.

JOnes and McCrory were nothing special in the gand scheme of things and Milt was very overrated when he was champ, but i tend to think they would have done really well against most of the non-great Welter\jr welter champs of recent years.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I noticed there are a few early JOnes knockouts on youtube if anyone wants to check them out.
Good post ,you summed him up well,I saw a lot of his fights from ringside ,he was a slow puncher ,with very heavy hands ,but never busy enough at top level.
Kirkland Laing made him look pedestrian twice, before , taking his eye off the ball and being kod both times.
I would give Colin a very live chance against Margarito.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #20
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd agree that if Margarito beats him it'll be because was able to consistently back him up.

BUt i thnk he'll get hit plenty on the way in and that heavy jab will keep margo off balance enough to allow the welshman to unload.he also generally throws shorter,better quality punches and has a good tight guard, which while easily penetrable by a sharpshooter, would work well against the clubbing telegraphed bombs Margo throws.I'd expect Margo to get worn down in half the time it took mosley if he's eating a decent amount of shots per round.unless Jones turns out to have a below average beard, which didn't seem to be the case despite an early knockdown against McCrory, then the cheat ain't winning a war of attrition against basically a Khaosai Glaxy/Moon level banger.

Not nostalgia here, just a firm believe a lot of the recent champs weren't that special.Hell, if the cheat had a decent defence or actually threw proper punches i'd probably pick him here.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #21
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Good post ,you summed him up well,I saw a lot of his fights from ringside ,he was a slow puncher ,with very heavy hands ,but never busy enough at top level.
Kirkland Laing made him look pedestrian twice, before , taking his eye off the ball and being kod both times.
I would give Colin a very live chance against Margarito.
McCrory was a tough style to overcome for a puncher of JOnes limitations.height, reach, fought safety first with a ton of movement once he tasted the power etc, ,yet the welshman had him doing an Ali impression and fighting scared as hell after landing barely a fraction of the shots Milt took blow for blow against a really good junior middle hitter like McCallum...Guys like Shields, Flea Richardson and the like were able to execute similar strategies and do well going the distance with other more succesful punchers like Cuevas and Moon.I tend to thnk the Milt fights proved he was at roughly that level of effectivness as a puncher,probably just a notch below.

Curry of course was just too talented to lose to a methodical textbook plodder.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum