Cotto Decision 17 10.76%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default *Pacquiao vs Cotto...make your pick*

Enough talk on these lumbering, limited big lumps.

Its fight week in the FIGHT OF THE YEAR! so lets get this thing started, make your pick.

I've gotta say i want Cotto to win, there is no doubt about that. But I don't like the fact that he's fighting in November from such a physical brawl in June. I don't like that Miguel lives in a Boricua bubble and thinks a nutritionist can play trainer in a high stakes prize fight. I don't like Miguel stepping on a 145 scale which will take 5 natural rehydration lbs from him for the bell. I don't like Miguel measuring off a jab with a scary, lightening southpaw. I don't like Miguel Cotto's eye scar tissue.

To put it shortly...I've got Pacquiao in a rout!

Last edited by slip&counter; 11-09-2009 at 05:18 PM.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Default Re: Pacquiao vs Cotto...make your pick.

poll added.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Shame it's not a public poll for after the fight. I've got Cotto by KO in the late rounds. Pac's speed won't count for anything because he doesn't punch hard enough at WW to put Cotto down or keep him off.
threethirteen is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
DUNNERS_2009
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 686

Cotto 10/11 with a rib breaking body shot
DUNNERS_2009 is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Pacquiao by decision.

He'll just be a little too fast on his feet for Cotto, that will be the key. Cotto lacks a right hand to make Pacquiao pay, he's a lefty that fights orthodox so the jab and left-hook is where his power is. That will be a huge problem. His counter-jab will be his best punch but it probably won't be enough.

Pacquiao will find a home straight through Cotto's guard, and he doesn't move his head like Pac does.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
bored
rent boy
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: ***Pacquiao vs Cotto...make your pick***

Cotto Cotto Cotto Cotto Cotto Cotto

Say goodbye to the biggest fight in boxing.

Come on Pacman.
bored is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

damn, i forgot to make it public.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Default Re: *Pacquiao vs Cotto...make your pick*

I'm going for my man Miguel.

I feel he will stay in there and won't fold up like Manny's recent opposition. Some see him as a plodder who just brawls. I see him him as a supreme box fighter who has a tremendous gauge of range. I feel it may take him a while to adapt to Manny's speed but he's a thinker and once he gets the hang of the job he will start to break Manny down and start to take the fight. His jab is fantastic and with his compact punching and good defensive moves such as the pivot i think he will present many problems for Manny. I'm unsure of him stopping Manny but i think he will hurt him enough to take his will and win the fight.

I see Miguel's lead hook and corkscrew uppercut harming Manny. He can also easily and naturally keep his lead foot on the outside of Manny's without feeling uneasy. I just think he has superior skills to win this. I also feel he can win the battle up close or at range as he won't be scared to through his shots and he's compact which i love and feel benefits him. Manny will give him a great fight don't get me wrong but i just feel this is Miguel's time now.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Cotto lacks a right hand to make Pacquiao pay
I think you'll find you're wrong. He's got a solid straight right that he made Mosley pay with several times (see my profile pic for evidence of that). I'm pretty sure he landed it at will against Margarito early on too.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Snorkel
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Cotto by late stoppage.

Despite all his recent defensive improvements, Pac still lunges in and leaves himself open at times and Miguel is sufficiently quick to capitalise on it. As good as Pac is, I'm not sure he can take too much of Cotto's power, especially if he can establish an effective body attack early on.

I think people are underselling Cotto here on the back of his performances against two monstrous welters. Manny, conversely, is being given a little too much credit for his performances against Diaz, De La Hoya and Hatton. Cotto right now is miles ahead of that trio.
Snorkel is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #11
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I think people are underselling Cotto here on the back of his performances against two monstrous welters. Manny, conversely, is being given a little too much credit for his performances against Diaz, De La Hoya and Hatton. Cotto right now is miles ahead of that trio.
You've got it exactly right. Too many people are looking at the performance and not the opposition. Do they really think Cotto wouldn't have been just as devastating against those three?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
nulty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 566

Pacquiao. You don't go against the dream team.
nulty is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #13
ScouseLad
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkel View Post

I agree, the "Margo has ruined him" drivel especially is completely insane. Aswell as people using the Clottey fight as "proof he's done". What?!! He fought 3 quarters of that fight with one eye against one annoying awkward underrated bastard. He done great considering the circumstances in my opinion.

Then again I am biased, I've never been up for a fight this bad, it feels like Istanbul and Athens following Liverpool. Theres no way I'll be sleeping after this, if Cotto wins I'll be buzzing for ages, if he loses absolutely gutted which given it'll finish at about 5.30am is quite annoying!
ScouseLad is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

ScouseLad, I'm a huge fan too. I was heartbroken after he lost to Margo - I was staying at a friend's in Brighton and we watched it on Setanta by Broadband. I went to bed feeling disturbed at what I'd witnessed. I was pleased for Margo, and then the Mosley fight exposed something very worrying - then I just felt angry.

I agree with all your points. Cotto struggled with an opponent who is much better than any of Manny's last three opponents. The guy is a great fighter, but he's going to lose to Cotto. Cotto is too smart, versatile and strong for Manny's pitter-pat punches at WW.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
Top Dog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Oh man this is a hard one! I'm thinking Pacs speed but then again Cotto aint exactly slow,mmmmmm, ok Pacman late stoppage, shame cause I like both
Top Dog is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum