Old 11-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #46
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: *Pacquiao vs Cotto...make your pick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Footspeed, right. That's why Pacquiao will win, I believe. He'll fight like he did against De La Hoya rather than Hatton, or opponents where he's stronger. Cotto will be one confused bunny.

Although I do hope I've got this one wrong, Cotto is my favourite welterweight.
I'm more of a Cotto fan but Manny is a phenom, a joy to watch. I would not begrudge him a victory. Hopefully it's close enough to warrant a rematch.
ishy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #47
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Gotta be Cotto for me, if he don't bleed then i see him breaking Manny up with body shots around the 9th.

I'am going to the fight & fly out thursday & if anyone here wants an ON-Site poster brought back then PM me & i'll tell yer how much you'll get bled 4
duranimal is online now  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #48
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Do you remember the post fight comments that David Diaz made on the Manny fight? His entire transcript was in the news recently because of the F bombs David Diaz dropped every other word and how Arreola got a suspension for lesser profanity. But anyway David went on to say that he pulled every trick out of his bag to just last those 9 rounds. That basically he was toast midway and that he never saw speed like that, ever. Just saying that maybe David going 9 may be a shaky stool to benchmark.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #49
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Diaz is a tough hombre, but that's about it. It took Manny nine rounds to get him out of there, when he had neither the power, the skill or the style to trouble Manny. So of course he looked fantastic.

Manny fights the same way every single time, he's just gotten a lot better at it in the last few years. I think the only comparison you can use is Manny vs JMM II. Cause it's the last time he faced a guy with the smarts and ability to actually capitalise on Manny's one-dimensional approach.

If Marquez hadn't have been knocked down, he was out-boxing Manny. In both fights, it was the KDs that let Manny survive. In that fight we saw good timing and positioning were enough to let Marquez land. This is a slowed down, moderate punching SFW Marquez, who was eating shots as he got more aggressive. The Marquez who faced Manny the first time was causing him all sorts of problems with lateral movement, and counter rights.

Cotto is also good at countering, though clearly not in Marquez's league. He uses lateral movement, he has a good use of distance, where it appears he's out of range, takes a step to the left or right and can connect: a trick Marquez used constantly to let him land on Manny with less risk of taking one back.

Cotto's right hand isn't as refined as Marquez's, or as effective as Cotto's left, but he's uses it as a lead very effectively being a converted southpaw. He's scored or started KOs with it, and will often use it to get his opponent in position to bring the left hook round to the body.

Manny's footspeed is excellent, but he still lunges when he throws those straights down the pipe. Yes, he'll be speedy and like an annoying wasp, but Cotto is adept at moving and getting his opponent out of position before they realise what he's done. They're so focused on getting out of range, they don't realise he's moved. Then he'll use uppercuts to the mid-section.

i think we're going to see Cotto back to body-snatching in this fight.
threethirteen is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #50
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

A big question is how will Pacquiao handle Cotto's power. Pacquiao seems to have a good chin but if Cotto lands enough - and I think he will land some serious leather - then it will be interesting to see Pacquiao's reaction and whether his output and footwork drops, which would then have him fighting at a pace more suitable to Cotto.

I think there's a decent chance of that happening, and I think Cotto will pull it out, although the first few rounds Pacquiao will be electric.
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #51
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It's going to be a massively difficult fight for both guys. Cotto is going to really struggle for the first four while he lands enough to slow Manny down. Manny's going to really struggle in the middle rounds when Cotto puts some hurt on him, which WILL happen.

It the final four rounds that are pivotal for me, because Manny either gets on his bicycle and smarts a disciplined tactical boxing match against a guy that could easily time him on the way in, or tries to trade with Cotto, knowing he has faster hands and could maybe get a stoppage.

Cotto will need to run the risk of getting cut up by Manny when he trades, or will need to commit to the body to break Manny to pieces. By doing so, he could get countered over the top and get stopped on accumulation.

It's a thrilling fight: it's just a nightmare to pick with any degree of certainty.
threethirteen is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #52
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

I just think Cotto is ripe for the picking, trust me they saw something thats why they made this fight, Those 11 rounds of plaster have left him with scar tissue, he was there for the taking against Clottey, but Josh is too damn inactive with that ear muff shell and is current disposition is one of a cautious, timid and somewhat lazy boxer. He's not someone rises up, engages and start's mixing it up for 3 mins of every round even when he badly needs to, Pacquiao has him hurt or busted up and he's outta there.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #53
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownCobra View Post
Cotto is a step too far for Pacquiao. He can't just keep stepping up and beating bigger and better opponents, it has to end somewhere. Cotto's size combined with his all-round game will be too much and he will stop Pacquiao.

I think.
News for you my friend! Pacquiao is just not as small as he's portrayed plus he has improved so much since the early days, before he could never box on the backfoot, he had such a predictable punching pattern, he used to lunge much more into punches, his lateral movement used to be largly ineffective and now he does those things reasonably well. He's a two handed fighter now as well to the point where he's doubling hooks and fainting with that right hand. He's almost unrecognizable from the raw material of the early days plus he carries the weight well. Cotto gets beaten to the punch and peppered all night.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #54
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

In my heart I want Miguel to win this fight because I simply want this PR warrior to have redemption after the brick gloves of that piece of sh*t cheater took something from him that no human or even an 8 figure payday will ever be able to replace. But my head/left brain logic has to go with Manny. While I only see Mayweather being able to pull this off, if Cotto can get into a position where he's clearly walking Manny down from the 6 on..then it's a over. Cotto by ud or late ko.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #55
BURNLEYBLUE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
In my heart I want Miguel to win this fight because I simply want this PR warrior to have redemption after the brick gloves of that piece of sh*t cheater took something from him that no human or even an 8 figure payday will ever be able to replace. But my head/left brain logic has to go with Manny. While I only see Mayweather being able to pull this off, if Cotto can get into a position where he's clearly walking Manny down from the 6 on..then it's a over. Cotto by ud or late ko.
thats how I see it going.Cotto looks to have 1oo% tunnel vision from what I've seen. Where as Manny?
BURNLEYBLUE is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #56
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pac KO6. It's going to be quick and brutal in my opinion. And also sad to see, because I love Cotto, but I don't see him having any answer to Pac's speed and it will all be over before he has a chance to get into the fight.
dan-b is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #57
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

You guys picking and looking forward to a Cotto victory are going to be sorely disapointed. At least put your money on Pacquiao and save the emotional heartache
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #58
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURNLEYBLUE View Post
thats how I see it going.Cotto looks to have 1oo% tunnel vision from what I've seen. Where as Manny?
i see it the opposite,we will see(that im right)
widdy is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #59
BURNLEYBLUE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdy View Post
i see it the opposite,we will see(that im right)
That would would be a first my friend.Bet you would'nt like a tenner on it
BURNLEYBLUE is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #60
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Cotto getting countered triple the punches he attempts to throw is a major problem. My prediction is those 8oz Reyes opening up a gash and Cotto can't see those left hands and his face getting battered and his new chief corner man stops the fight to preserve Cotto for his next fight. I heard all the earlier talks about him fighting with cuts in the past but here's the difference; he never fought a offensive force like Manny with a cut who happens to throw punches from Cotto's blind side.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum