Cotto Decision 17 10.76%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #61
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500
Default Re: *Pacquiao vs Cotto...make your pick*

I've changed from Pac TKO to Pac by decision and now I'm leaning back towards Pac by TKO. Saw a training video and he looks terrific.
TFFP is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #62
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.
vCash: 1000

Pac will have long periods of dominance because of his speed of hand and foot. As someone mentioned earlier he is a phenom and a joy to watch.
However Cotto is very precise/accurate and should give Pac some rough moments. Also his body punching poses a serious threat. All in all a far stiffer test than Hatton/Oscar or Diaz.
Pac clear but tough ud.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #63
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

Im picking Pacman. I used to bring out the size matters argument when picking Manny to lose, however i have stopped doing that, his speed of hand and foot is so amazing he can get away with it. He is also freakishly strong and a powerful, accurate puncher.

I think his speed and southpaw style will be a problem for Cotto. i think his workrate will be a problem for Cotto and even his punch power will be a problem! Cotto is a fantastic fighter but his defence has holes, he has been hurt by lighter punchers and is prone to cuts.

ive got to side with Pac, he has too much going for him.
jc is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #64
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b View Post
Pac KO6. It's going to be quick and brutal in my opinion. And also sad to see, because I love Cotto, but I don't see him having any answer to Pac's speed and it will all be over before he has a chance to get into the fight.
I've got Pacquiao busting Cotto up in a back and forth trade off, but Manny beating him to the punch, being to quick and basically hitting him more then he gets hit. However I can't see Pacquiao blowing him away in the first half of the fight, certainly not like he did Hatton (who fought the dumbest fight i've ever seen) Cotto is a smart fighter with good defence, who doesn't get impatient and reckless.

Something else to factor into the early round equation is Cotto's ability to switch hit. I'm sure you remember Cotto's fight with a southpaw Quintana and how Carlos was doing what Manny does (obviously not to that level) and thats Circle to the right. So Cotto immediately switched his stance and now Carlos was circling into the power hand which eventually exposed the body for a ko. Cotto will not stay conventional.

Having said that, it could backfire on Cotto because the right check hook that put Hatton in deep water leading to the left that put him to sleep...that's a similar type shot that will be used if Cotto does switch to lefty. Why not implement that perfect check hook, similar to Mayweather but thrown from the southpaw stance, almost as a lead vs. Cotto. But it needs to be short and compact because Cotto is a patient stalker unlike Rick.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #65
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Another thing all of Manny's opponents are a sucker for the right hand faint suffixed with a straight left. See the faint freezes you and then his speed catches you looking. Yes he squares up but he slightly tilt faints then boom comes that laser left hand. Cotto will get cought with that left down the pipe all night.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #66
sdavi3680
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 4184

I want Manny to win, even if it's just to set up a fight with Mayweather. I see it being a late round stoppage. Fight stopped after Cotto's face gets all messed up like it did in the Margarito fight.
sdavi3680 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #67
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

This will be one of those hindsight is 20-20 fights. Hard to predict beforehand but afterwards it will seem so obvious. I think whoever wins will win comprehensively.
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #68
hit me HARDER

vCash:

Pacquiao TKO 10
Old 11-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #69
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonavena25 View Post
This will be one of those hindsight is 20-20 fights. Hard to predict beforehand but afterwards it will seem so obvious. I think whoever wins will win comprehensively.
Yeah Pacquiao. Just the same as he was for Hatton/De La Hoya yet so many thought differently and then made out like it was completely obvious and not that good of a win for Pac.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #70
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

I do not think Pac has the power to stop decent opponents above lightweight but I think Cotto will struggle like **** in this fight so expect a Pac decision win.

Hopefully a real ******* though.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #71
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cotto being patient isn't going to help him here because he doesn't have a great defence and isn't a great counter puncher either. I think he needs to come out swinging and try to hurt Pac. Otherwise I see him eating the straight left all night.
dan-b is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #72
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b View Post
Cotto being patient isn't going to help him here because he doesn't have a great defence and isn't a great counter puncher either. I think he needs to come out swinging and try to hurt Pac. Otherwise I see him eating the straight left all night.
It won't matter in the ultimate outcome of the fight, but it prevents your prediction of a early blow out, yes his defence isn't great, but its decent and he's multi faceted although he doesn't do one thing great, he's a all round fighter.

Btw, I understand Roach is a great chief second and Manny also gets the warm fuzzies with his childhood rags to riches friend, Buboy in the corner as his third. But you didn't give me any x's and o's with what will Manny do once Cotto goes southpaw on him as well. Does Manny continue to circle to the right much like a young southpaw Tarver did going against the grain and still circling left vs. orthodox guys...or does Manny lead right, pivot, then fire in the pocket with limited circling?

We agree on the outcome, just want you to put some meat on the bone.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #73
sidthehat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Just think Cotto's left hook will be the key to the fight. I can't see him missing Manny with it. I can see Manny putting him down early, bit like Torres did but think Cotto is the more adaptable fighter (look at Mosley, Clottey wins). I see him finding a way to dominate Manny, like Marquez did for much of their fights and really wearing him down with hooks to the body. I see a Cotto late ko or decision (or get robbed of one). I could be wrong. Manny's explosive power may be too much for him. At odds of over 5/2 I'm driving the Miguel Cotto express. Just cant wait for this fight.
sidthehat is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #74
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Two punches can catch a southpaw: the straight right lead, and the left hook to the head or the body.

Manny's going to get busted up by both.
threethirteen is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #75
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

I could see Cotto trying to out Manny but also taking allot of damage in the process. I repeat: Any one having daydreams of Miguel walking through Manny's hardest stuff better wake up now. We all remember what happened the last two times Manny was "way too small"...lol. Cotto is not only gonna have to fight smart on offense he's gonna have to tighten up his Defense to. Josh Clottey having you in trouble(for what ever the reason) is not a good look. Firepower is a appropriete title for this fight because Manny is to much of a sharpshooter and has enough firepower for Cotto to deal with.

Is this the fight were we kiss the old Cotto good bye or have us remembering what it was before he lost to plasterFace. Once again, who really knows. One thing is for sure, Manny/Freddie wouldn't be taking this fight unless they were HIGHLY confident they can win. Remember Manny's long term plan is fight Mayweather, make insane money and become a politician. Where does taking an unexpected L against Cotto play in that?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum