Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: nil satis nisi optimum
Posts: 825
vCash: 75
Default What if...

What if Hagler attacked Roberto Duran the way he did with Hearns, with reckless abandon.

Does Duran put up a Barkley-esque performance or does Hagler get him out of there inside 5 rounds
Nemesis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,314
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
What if Hagler attacked Roberto Duran the way he did with Hearns, with reckless abandon.

Does Duran put up a Barkley-esque performance or does Hagler get him out of there inside 5 rounds
Hagler wins inside 8 rounds,he was much too tentative.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if...

Even Duran at his very best would be hard pushed to weather this kind of intense onslaught, I think Hagler finishes matters before the mid-rounds.

Hagler TKO5 Duran


*I agree that Marv defintely boxed far too cautious in their actual fight. Despite that did sufficient to get the job done.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,269
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if...

Then I suspect Hagler gets tired and down the stretch looks sloppy as shit but still gets the decision.

Hagler can't fight Duran how he fought Hagler and not for 15 rounds. Hagler visibly slowed from round 1 to 2 against Hearns. By that stage he'd already hurt Hearns in numerous ways.

Hagler-Duran is a myth. Hagler was the bigger man and fought like it. He was winning clearly. Duran won some rounds and stayed competative but he should never have been winning after 12.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,062
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Then I suspect Hagler gets tired and down the stretch looks sloppy as shit but still gets the decision.
This is sort of how I see it, but I think that Hagler would win a wider decision, and I also think that Duran would need to be given credit in this imagined scenario for the way that he fought. He would make it rough, get inside, make it awkward, perhaps with marked success.

Of course, Hagler might get him. That's not impossible.
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,269
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
This is sort of how I see it, but I think that Hagler would win a wider decision, and I also think that Duran would need to be given credit in this imagined scenario for the way that he fought. He would make it rough, get inside, make it awkward, perhaps with marked success.

Of course, Hagler might get him. That's not impossible.
I just don't believe Hagler had the laser guided speed and power that Hearns did. Hearns was fast and savvy enough to catch Duran with impressively dynamic moves i.e. left uppercut to the stomach, jab to the body then right hand to the head etc

It is a one time only thing. Duran was made to quit by arguably the best 147 ever and ko'd by arguably the best 154 ever. One time only things I believe.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if...

Hagler wears him down in about 7 or 8.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if...

Duran trained to deal with an aggressive Hagler by countering and angling around him. Hagler's decision to box rather than go straight at the smaller man was unanticipated by Duran.

I do not believe that Hagler would have gotten Duran out of there before 12 -no one could save one and Duran deserves the benefit of the doubt here. Power alone wouldn't do it -heavy hands never did it. You need speed. Serious reach and height help too. Hagler had none of those three factors. He may have worn him out and got a TKO -but any talk of Hagler blowing through Duran inside of 5 or 6 rounds is really pushing it.

Again, Duran was prepared for and expecting aggression. Hagler would have taken more risks and Duran was pretty good at busting bigger guys up who get aggressive. Moore's eye. Barkley's eye. Hagler's eye. Hagler swelled up late -and only because Hagler turned it on and Duran aimed precisely for that left eye. Had Hagler turned it on earlier, he may have worn Duran out earlier and stopped him late ... or.... he may have had one eye in round 5. And a one-eyed Hagler ain't beating Duran.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
MAD - MIKE -
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 28
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if...

There is no what if's n this matchup duran vs hagler It happened! Roberto Duran a 135lber vs big bad marvin at 160 unreal! If a 12 rounder duran wins it! I had it a draw/1 point for marvin unreal! It was roberto duran that semi-exposed hagler then ray fought em, no way ray fights hagler 1st NO WAY!!! ROBERTO DURAN IS A MAD-MAN UNLIKE ANY OTHER! WoW! U WANT A WHAT IF HERE'S A WHAT IF FOR U'S WHAT IF ROBERTO DURAN WAS A MIDDLEWEIGHT PACKING A TRUE 25+LBS GOOD NITE SWEET PRINCE THAT'S YOUR WHAT IF... SUPER-MIKEY!
MAD - MIKE - is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #10
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD - MIKE -
There is no what if's n this matchup duran vs hagler It happened! Roberto Duran a 135lber vs big bad marvin at 160 unreal! If a 12 rounder duran wins it! I had it a draw/1 point for marvin unreal! It was roberto duran that semi-exposed hagler then ray fought em, no way ray fights hagler 1st NO WAY!!! ROBERTO DURAN IS A MAD-MAN UNLIKE ANY OTHER! WoW! U WANT A WHAT IF HERE'S A WHAT IF FOR U'S WHAT IF ROBERTO DURAN WAS A MIDDLEWEIGHT PACKING A TRUE 25+LBS GOOD NITE SWEET PRINCE THAT'S YOUR WHAT IF... SUPER-MIKEY!
Agreed, if Duran just happened to have been born to fight at 160 he would have beaten Hagler handily at their peaks.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #11
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,384
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if...

Hagler would win by a TKO in 6.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,345
vCash: 215
Default Re: What if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89
Duran trained to deal with an aggressive Hagler by countering and angling around him. Hagler's decision to box rather than go straight at the smaller man was unanticipated by Duran.

I do not believe that Hagler would have gotten Duran out of there before 12 -no one could save one and Duran deserves the benefit of the doubt here. Power alone wouldn't do it -heavy hands never did it. You need speed. Serious reach and height help too. Hagler had none of those three factors. He may have worn him out and got a TKO -but any talk of Hagler blowing through Duran inside of 5 or 6 rounds is really pushing it.

Again, Duran was prepared for and expecting aggression. Hagler would have taken more risks and Duran was pretty good at busting bigger guys up who get aggressive. Moore's eye. Barkley's eye. Hagler's eye. Hagler swelled up late -and only because Hagler turned it on and Duran aimed precisely for that left eye. Had Hagler turned it on earlier, he may have worn Duran out earlier and stopped him late ... or.... he may have had one eye in round 5. And a one-eyed Hagler ain't beating Duran.
I think you are right...Duran did very well against people that went straight at him...Hagler would have been hit with more straight right hands. Duran's hand would have been busted up (I think it was anyway)
Hagler still takes the decision. (In my opinion)
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,823
vCash: 0
Default Re: What if...

The Petronelli's thought Hagler was stepping into the ring with 1979 Duran, hence the respectful tactics. With more agressive tactics, Hagler could of stopped Duran late, in 1983 IMO.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #14
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Agreed, if Duran just happened to have been born to fight at 160 he would have beaten Hagler handily at their peaks.
Comparable power being transfered from lightweight to middleweight, and strength. You may well be right. If as you said, "if Duran just happened to have been born to fight at 160", he would have had confidence to go inside and vary his work and not be out-muscled, which he found difficult when they fought.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if...

Duran would have sat on his stool and not came out for round 2.

Last edited by Dr Z; 09-22-2006 at 09:39 AM.
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013