Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
punchmaster
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Clinton Woods

Not a single thread on his upcoming title defense. I guess the rematch with Gonzalez is that exciting.
punchmaster is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Clinton Woods

Hobson showed his promotional prowess when refusing the career best purse from ****** to face Calzaghe, instead he thought Woods was going to be a big draw with his IBF strap and thus attract Jones Jr, Kessler, tarver etc...

The fact is CLinton has become somewhat of a forgotten man, and to be honest I dont think Hobson can manage to attract any name without help. I just hope Clinton gets a nice big pay day before someone relieves him of his title. Gonzales isnt the man to do it, but I feel he could easily come a cropper against some "lesser known" LHW's.

I did hear a rumour that Woods Calzaghe had been spoken about again. All depends on whether Joe defeat Kessler in Nov, and of course if Bernard Hopkins fancies coming out of retirement to face Joe. In a dream world it'd be a GBP event in Wembly next May Hatton V DLH & Hopkins V Calzaghe.

but back to Woods... no, nobody gives 2 ****s about his upcoming match.
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

The truth is Hobson got Woods what he needed at 175 - Jones, Johnson x3, Gonzalez etc

Woods needs to just win again and keep fighting. He needs to be fighting every 3 months. He is a champ and adds allure to any bill. He needs to see if Hatton can hook him up with a spot on his undercard. I see no reason why not.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Hes not very exciting, he failed to build on the National Exposure from fighting on ITV. He is fighting someone he beat already.

He had his chance being on Hatton Undercards but Hatton and Hobson have split so Woods best bet is fighting nobodys for as long as possilbe half filling Sheffield Hallam and waiting for one of the big boys to give him a payday and one last hurrah! Moving up to cruiser and fighting Macceranelli would be a good move!
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
mmickyward
Journeyman

seeing this thread actually reminded me that woods holds a major world title.I feel that he might oblige glen johnson if he beats gonzalez.very good s**** that last time
mmickyward is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Glen Johnson is just a risky loss and Johnson isn't really known. Woods needed Calzaghe. Win or lose he becomes known. Then he can come back and fight top contenders again but be known. Plus he would have earnt about one mill.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
The truth is Hobson got Woods what he needed at 175 - Jones, Johnson x3, Gonzalez etc

Woods needs to just win again and keep fighting. He needs to be fighting every 3 months. He is a champ and adds allure to any bill. He needs to see if Hatton can hook him up with a spot on his undercard. I see no reason why not.
hobson got Woods a title at 175 eventually, but he's never got him a good (exceptional) pay day. In reality although he fought a prime Jones he was battered so easily that it took a while for his stock to rise agian. Fighting Johnson and Gonzales (both 3 times!!) is nothing to shout about. I doubt Woods has even made enough money to retire on! he needs his million pound pay day and Frank ****** offered him that. Hobson turned it down saying Woods was now the bigger draw and instead persued fights with Jones Jr and Tarver... he also tried to get Kessler up at LHW. Nothing transpired and now Clinton is fighting Gonzales again, for peanuts.

The Hattons and Hobson have had a huge fallout, so much so that Mathew has signed with Brian Peters. Clinton is on his own now. Regardless of this everyone knows Hobson spent his entire "Hatton budget" on Ricky, hence the non-existent undercards and **** poor opponents (Castillo aside).
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
safe_pa
Howlin' Mad
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 270

Just one question, Will Clinton (fighting a guy he's beaten once) get the same abuse as Calzaghe when he fought Viet for the second time?
safe_pa is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #9
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOrth
hobson got Woods a title at 175 eventually, but he's never got him a good (exceptional) pay day. In reality although he fought a prime Jones he was battered so easily that it took a while for his stock to rise agian. Fighting Johnson and Gonzales (both 3 times!!) is nothing to shout about. I doubt Woods has even made enough money to retire on! he needs his million pound pay day and Frank ****** offered him that. Hobson turned it down saying Woods was now the bigger draw and instead persued fights with Jones Jr and Tarver... he also tried to get Kessler up at LHW. Nothing transpired and now Clinton is fighting Gonzales again, for peanuts.

The Hattons and Hobson have had a huge fallout, so much so that Mathew has signed with Brian Peters. Clinton is on his own now. Regardless of this everyone knows Hobson spent his entire "Hatton budget" on Ricky, hence the non-existent undercards and **** poor opponents (Castillo aside).
If my memory serves I've seen Woods in one partially high profile entertaining battle - Johnson 3. Lets not forget he slightly bottled it in the first two.

Woods has never had an exceptional pay day but I understand he got paid nicely v Jones. Hobson won the bid and then Jones bought it back off of him so it could be in America.

Turning down Calzaghe was moronic. Hobson ****ed up. Woods stuck by him because look what Hobson has got him. He got him Jones when he didn't really earn it, he got him an IBF shot again when eh didn't really earn it.

What do you know about the Hatton Hobson fallout?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #10
rooq
East Side Guru

is gonzales a mandatory?

i'm sure any of the other lhw belt holders would love to get in with woods who is one of the weaker champs.

as for woods - gonzales, it'll be another woods UD in a hard working but uninspiring performance
rooq is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
People make out that since Ricky went with Hobson over ****** that he's taken him from strength to strength - when that clearly isn't the case.

****** may have matched him with some ****py fighters, but he knew the perfect time to get Kostya in with Ricky.
No he didn't. That fight just happened to come about.

****** tried to match him easy v Pinto for the WBO. Pinto fell ill, Arum is more powerful and then Cotto got the shot.

Then he tried the next step up in Harris for the WBA, Harris is a **** businessman and pulled out.

He wasn't going to go after WBC Floyd and Gatti wasn't going to go near Hatton. HBO have said that Gatti repeatedly turned down Hatton and that is since the Ward rematch.

Ricky begun to get ****ED and eventually ****** was forced to step up OR lose Hatton. As it was, he lost Hatton anyway.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
UndisputedUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135
Hes not very exciting, he failed to build on the National Exposure from fighting on ITV. He is fighting someone he beat already.

He had his chance being on Hatton Undercards but Hatton and Hobson have split so Woods best bet is fighting nobodys for as long as possilbe half filling Sheffield Hallam and waiting for one of the big boys to give him a payday and one last hurrah! Moving up to cruiser and fighting Macceranelli would be a good move!
LOL Giving up the IBF title to get KTFO by EM a good move!!
UndisputedUK is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
dwilson

vCash:

It looks a decnt comeback fight for Woods after his long break. He should win but it will prob go the distance and then maybe onto more big fights with poss Tarver/Green.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safe_pa
Just one question, Will Clinton (fighting a guy he's beaten once) get the same abuse as Calzaghe when he fought Viet for the second time?
No. Or he shouldn't. Gonzalez is twice the fighter Viet is.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #15
Decy
Barely Coherent
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I feel sorry for Woods he is overshdowed by Hatton and Calzaghe which is fair enough they are better fighters but it is wrong that he is less well known than Khan or the mess that is the current British Heavy scene.He is also underated on the world scene i think he could do well against any LH exept maybe Dawson.
Decy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum