Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-29-2007, 02:52 PM   #16
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Clinton Woods

Is this fight on radio 5live?
Boro chris is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #17
nrgetic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The fight is over and there is no discussion, very perplexing!
nrgetic is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #18
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Sounded much like the first fight, which in terms of entertainment is a good thing...rough, tough, hard-fought battle with Woods ultimately outboxing Gonzalez.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #19
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Oh man, that fight was painful to watch. once again Clinton fights old foe hes already beat.

That fight bored the tits off me if Im being honest. I just cannot believe Woods pulled in such a big crowd to watch him beat an opponent he faced not so long ago. Clinton Woods fights are like watching groundhog day. They are all the same! Woods starts well, fades in the middle rounds, gets his second wind in the latter stages of the fight & grinds out a decision.

Sorry, but I cannot forgive Woods for bottling it from Joe Calzaghe & facing off against opponents hes already beaten in the recent past. Its about time he stepped up again, instead of conning his fans with these fights.

What did this win prove? the square root of **** all. thats what.

"hey did you see Clinton beat that Gonzales guy who he beat recently, & no-one clamoured for a rematch but Clinton inflicted it upon us anyway?" Thats the only conversation amongst boxing fans in the street that I could envisage for this so called 'tussle'
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2007, 09:31 PM   #20
Words
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

I wouldn't call Clinton Woods a boring figthter at all. The Johnson fights were all good value for money, The two Gonzales fights were entertaining also. He's got a lot of heart has Woods.
Words is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #21
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words
I wouldn't call Clinton Woods a boring figthter at all. The Johnson fights were all good value for money, The two Gonzales fights were entertaining also. He's got a lot of heart has Woods.
I never said Woods was a boring fighter, I said his recent fights have been boring due to the safety first matchmaking.

The Gonzales fights were a carbon copy of each other, & it was a known fact Gonzales didnt have the dig to cause Woods serious problems, so this fight IMO was a predictable bore.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #22
nulty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
I never said Woods was a boring fighter, I said his recent fights have been boring due to the safety first matchmaking.

The Gonzales fights were a carbon copy of each other, & it was a known fact Gonzales didnt have the dig to cause Woods serious problems, so this fight IMO was a predictable bore.
It was also his mandatory. In Clintons position would you have given up the title? It's not like he's in the LHW driving seat. So he won the title against the heavily fancied Hoye, fought the heavily fancied gonzanles, took a stay busy fight, then beat Johnson, then suffered injuries not uncommon to a fighter his age and then had to fight his mandatory.

Do you think Woods likes the situation? Of course he doesn't but he's lost a year threw injury. Give the guy a break.
nulty is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #23
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulty
It was also his mandatory. In Clintons position would you have given up the title? It's not like he's in the LHW driving seat. So he won the title against the heavily fancied Hoye, fought the heavily fancied gonzanles, took a stay busy fight, then beat Johnson, then suffered injuries not uncommon to a fighter his age and then had to fight his mandatory.

Do you think Woods likes the situation? Of course he doesn't but he's lost a year threw injury. Give the guy a break.
hey, you answered your own question there when you asked if Woods likes the situation I would argue that he does!

Your post is fair enough though Nulty otherwise, & you make your points well. Im just moaning cos I think at this stage of his career, Woods should be chasing the big fights instead of fannying around beating guys he has already beaten & holding onto his belt. If I was a woods fan, I would hate to see him going round in circles like this. fair enough hes holding onto his belt, but in not facing off against the marquis names his legacy will suffer.

& remember, I am not just picking on Woods for the sake of it, but the way hes going he will only be remembered as a decent champ like Woodhall, when he could easily have got a defining fight with Calzaghe.

So you tell me to give him a break, but I hope you understand my stance when I say Woods shouldnt be taking the break opponent wise that he is taking in the twilight of his career. Calzaghe has stepped up to fight Kessler, so why should everyone go easy on Woods for going over old ground?

Cos if Calzaghe fought old opponents as manatories, he would get slaughtered for it. & rightly so IMO.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #24
rooq
East Side Guru

Quote:
Oh man, that fight was painful to watch. once again Clinton fights old foe hes already beat.

That fight bored the tits off me if Im being honest. I just cannot believe Woods pulled in such a big crowd to watch him beat an opponent he faced not so long ago. Clinton Woods fights are like watching groundhog day. They are all the same! Woods starts well, fades in the middle rounds, gets his second wind in the latter stages of the fight & grinds out a decision.

Sorry, but I cannot forgive Woods for bottling it from Joe Calzaghe & facing off against opponents hes already beaten in the recent past. Its about time he stepped up again, instead of conning his fans with these fights.

What did this win prove? the square root of **** all. thats what.

"hey did you see Clinton beat that Gonzales guy who he beat recently, & no-one clamoured for a rematch but Clinton inflicted it upon us anyway?" Thats the only conversation amongst boxing fans in the street that I could envisage for this so called 'tussle'
what? tbh i had been expecting a really boring fight, but was pleasantly suprised. i think this fight was much better than his last performance and the result wasn't in doubt from around round 7 onwards. i scored the fight 117-113.

i still don't think he's an exceptional champ...but he does hold the ibf - a body which is notorious for enforcing mandatories
rooq is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #25
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooq
what? tbh i had been expecting a really boring fight, but was pleasantly suprised. i think this fight was much better than his last performance and the result wasn't in doubt from around round 7 onwards. i scored the fight 117-113.

i still don't think he's an exceptional champ...but he does hold the ibf - a body which is notorious for enforcing mandatories
So what you are saying is you are happy to see champions fight the same opponents over & over again rooq?

Well if thats what turns you on then fair enough. I as a boxing fan though want to see more from champions. I get no joy in watching belt holders go over old ground. This was a rematch no-one clamoured for beforehand. & rightly so. So what if there were some fun moments, cos everyone knew Gonzales didnt have the dig to cause Woods problems. Thats why IMO this fight was just a waste of time. The only beneficiary was Clinton Woods bank balance. Maximum gain, minimum risk.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:07 PM   #26
rooq
East Side Guru

Quote:
So what you are saying is you are happy to see champions fight the same opponents over & over again rooq?
no...i just thought it was a good fight.

as for the opposition, the only previous opponent i won't mind him fighting again is RJJ. i hope he doesn't fight glen johnson again.

but something tells me he won't fight again for another 8 or 9 months, and then it'll be time to fight another mandatory
rooq is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 12:35 AM   #27
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooq
but something tells me he won't fight again for another 8 or 9 months, and then it'll be time to fight another mandatory
Which is Glen Johnson btw , should Johnson want a 4th fight that is .
But Dunky I have to ask what do you expect Woods to do , give up the belt ?
He hasn't got the backing to get any decent fights without it , he wouldn't even get fights the standard of Gonzalez and Johnson .

Sure he could of fought Calzaghe , but we don't know what the terms and conditions for that fight were and if they were anything like what was presented to Haye to fight Maccarinelli then he would of been right not to take the fight .

The problem for the other Light-Heavyweights is that Woods brings a significant risk with little reward , not even the IBF belt is enough to entice the big names .
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 01:17 AM   #28
Words
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Wouldn't Chad Dawson be interested in a fight with Clinton? I mean, they're the two guys at Light-Heavy that mean something. Dawson's profile isnt big enough for him to take on someone like Tarver, Calzaghe or Hopkins, a fight with Woods would set that up nicely for him.
Words is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 04:50 AM   #29
mmickyward
Journeyman

id like to see woods attempt to unify part of the world title failing that i wouldnt mind seeing woods-johnson 4. Roy jones is a fight that could happen depending on the result against trinidad
mmickyward is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 06:06 AM   #30
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

That fight bored the tits off me if Im being honest.

What the **** were you watching? It was a great fight. Loads of action, changes of tempo. I agree with you about the 'same opponents' thing by the way, but if that's the case, don't watch in the first place.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum