Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

Been wathcing some tapes of Yuri Arbackakov (courtesy of RagingB(_)ll) and i saw some interesting things.

When you say 'Boxer-Puncher' to me i instantly think of Alexis Arguello, to me he is the epitome of the Boxer-Puncher style. He was the patient boxer who in his case looked to counter behind his long jab like the boxer but also looked to hurt his opponent and was relentless in finishing him like the puncher. But he was not the perfect Boxer-Puncher as it signifies a whole range of varieties on the style but Arguello was abit more puncher than boxer.

Others would say Thomas Hearns is the best boxer puncher but i feel he was either a boxer or a puncher. He seemed to either look to bomb a guy out or to box his head off he never really managed to combine the two aspects into one style. Others might say Carlos Ortiz or Jose Napoles, the debate is endless.

However, i think i have found THE boxer-puncher. His name is Yuri Arbachakov a long time WBC Flyweight champion in the 1990's. He was a brillaint Soviet amateur but moved to Asia to start his professional career a he felt it was a better area for lighter weight fighters.

His style is brillaint to watch an almost perfect textbook boxer. He keeps his hands high, his feet the sme distance apart etc... In other words he has excellant fundamentals. Besides from this he had brillaint movement and excellant technical skills in both offence and defence. He came forward just as good as he did as he boxed on his back foot. He combined this all well to be a brilliant boxer, but what he also had was genuine concussive 1 punch power, especially in his right, which is rare for such a little guy. It made him in my eyes the best Boxer-Puncher.

He wasnt too much of a boxer or a puncher he combined it well. He would box to suss out his opponent and measure him before boxing to try and set up his punching and combinations. When he did set up his shots he would come into life with a hard straight right that often finished off his opponents with one decisive blow. When he got his opponent hurt he went about his work with the clean, effective almost hitman like precision. He would slowly pick the helpless opponent apart with hard, vicious blows usually resulting in the end.

Now Arbackakov dosent usually get mentioned alot among fight fans, this is because a general lack of knowledge in him. He was an Asian-based Flyweight, and most fight fans are more in tune with the American based heavier weights which is a great shame as greats like Arbackakov and others like Yoko Gushiken, Myung Woo Yuh and Jung-Koo Chang are almsot forgotten about.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,076
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

Good interesting post. I always think of Louis as the perfect box-puncher though.

As far as Yuri goes, I don't know, i've always felt there was something missing. He got his hair ruffled against Chin which I watched recently with Mantequilla (as in in a thread which the fight was posted in) and came away more impressed with Chin's heart and determination than I was with Yuri. Still, much of what you say is true, I guess he just doesn't float my boat in the same way as he does yours.

Midget Wolgast KO1.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

Arbachakov was a terrific fighter, though he kind of seemed like a Flyweight Eubank at times in the way he would often do just enough to win close 2/3point decisions over decent B level challengers and only seemed to be truly sharp/going flat out in a few of his fights.A bit frustrating to watch at times.

Ohba vs Arbachakov would be one for the ages.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Good interesting post. I always think of Louis as the perfect box-puncher though.

As far as Yuri goes, I don't know, i've always felt there was something missing. He got his hair ruffled against Chin which I watched recently with Mantequilla (as in in a thread which the fight was posted in) and came away more impressed with Chin's heart and determination than I was with Yuri. Still, much of what you say is true, I guess he just doesn't float my boat in the same way as he does yours.

Midget Wolgast KO1.
Thanks

how did i forget Louis i think he is definitly a contender to be the perfect boxer-puncher as him arguello and Williams are all very similar. Personally i think Arguello was slightly more fluid and relaxed (not the right word there though) than Louis.

Havent watched the Arbachakov vs Chin but i have it, i will watch it now and report back. You wouldnt happen to have a link to the thread where you and Mante discussed it as i would be interestedin seeing your views on it. Maybe i will see that thing he is missing. What i liek about him is the way hes boxing along nicely then he all of a sudden has his guy in trouble and is picking him off if anything its slightly more boxer than puncher.

As for Midget Wolgast KO1 i cant say i can disagree
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
Arbachakov was a terrific fighter, though he kind of seemed like a Flyweight Eubank at times in the way he would often do just enough to win close 2/3point decisions over decent B level challengers and only seemed to be truly sharp/going flat out in a few of his fights.A bit frustrating to watch at times.

Ohba vs Arbachakov would be one for the ages.
Yes i see that he coasted somewhat. I think it was more he fought to the level of hsi opponent or wasunmotivated by his opponent in the Kittikasum fight (the first one) he really did a job on him IMO but in the return it was a much closer fight with arbackakov doing alot less work.

I havent seen much of Ohba (about 3 rounds or so) so i cant really comment on it.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,076
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

thanks Mcgrain will watch it just now
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Been wathcing some tapes of Yuri Arbackakov (courtesy of RagingB(_)ll) and i saw some interesting things.

When you say 'Boxer-Puncher' to me i instantly think of Alexis Arguello, to me he is the epitome of the Boxer-Puncher style. He was the patient boxer who in his case looked to counter behind his long jab like the boxer but also looked to hurt his opponent and was relentless in finishing him like the puncher. But he was not the perfect Boxer-Puncher as it signifies a whole range of varieties on the style but Arguello was abit more puncher than boxer.

Others would say Thomas Hearns is the best boxer puncher but i feel he was either a boxer or a puncher. He seemed to either look to bomb a guy out or to box his head off he never really managed to combine the two aspects into one style. Others might say Carlos Ortiz or Jose Napoles, the debate is endless.

However, i think i have found THE boxer-puncher. His name is Yuri Arbachakov a long time WBC Flyweight champion in the 1990's. He was a brillaint Soviet amateur but moved to Asia to start his professional career a he felt it was a better area for lighter weight fighters.

His style is brillaint to watch an almost perfect textbook boxer. He keeps his hands high, his feet the sme distance apart etc... In other words he has excellant fundamentals. Besides from this he had brillaint movement and excellant technical skills in both offence and defence. He came forward just as good as he did as he boxed on his back foot. He combined this all well to be a brilliant boxer, but what he also had was genuine concussive 1 punch power, especially in his right, which is rare for such a little guy. It made him in my eyes the best Boxer-Puncher.

He wasnt too much of a boxer or a puncher he combined it well. He would box to suss out his opponent and measure him before boxing to try and set up his punching and combinations. When he did set up his shots he would come into life with a hard straight right that often finished off his opponents with one decisive blow. When he got his opponent hurt he went about his work with the clean, effective almost hitman like precision. He would slowly pick the helpless opponent apart with hard, vicious blows usually resulting in the end.

Now Arbackakov dosent usually get mentioned alot among fight fans, this is because a general lack of knowledge in him. He was an Asian-based Flyweight, and most fight fans are more in tune with the American based heavier weights which is a great shame as greats like Arbackakov and others like Yoko Gushiken, Myung Woo Yuh and Jung-Koo Chang are almsot forgotten about.
I'm embarrassed to say i've never sat down to watch Yuri. Before i do, would you say he was better than Lennox Lewis?
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,148
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

Help me out here. Who was the Russian, lighter weight fighter who started out like gangbuster in the 90's and was later shot and/or kidnapped in Central Asia and stopped fighting.... his name is on the tip of my tongue or I am completely misremembering this story.

Senility is a horrible thing.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
I'm embarrassed to say i've never sat down to watch Yuri. Before i do, would you say he was better than Lennox Lewis?
yes i would say so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Help me out here. Who was the Russian, lighter weight fighter who started out like gangbuster in the 90's and was later shot and/or kidnapped in Central Asia and stopped fighting.... his name is on the tip of my tongue or I am completely misremembering this story.

Senility is a horrible thing.
sounds interesting but i dont know who it is


Comments on the Chin Fight:


It was a good fight i thought Arbachakov was quite poor in it though. Although he showed flashes of excellance he was generally lackadasical (which ill explain later). He did show some truly great moves, the first KD was whilst he was moving backwards!, the second KD was in the middle of a trade he had the cool and the wits about him to land a pinpoint left uppercut-right hand combination, and in the 9th he was on the inside and stepped across China and planted an excellant right hand on Chins Chin.

Also I thought he engaged Chin far too much on the inside, the weakest part of arbackakovs game is the inside and he seemed to be over eager to engae inside. Chin got his best sucess inside and Arbachakov got his best on the outside but still Yuri sometimes iniated inside trades.

I thougth it was a good fight had it 117-108 Yuri but i thought it was a close competitve fight throughout just that Yuri seemed to hurt or drop him in key moments to win rounds although every round was close and competitve and well fought. Is Yun Un Chinese for very good?

Comments on arbachakov as a whole:

He is sometimes very lackidasical i think this is due to overthinking. He seems to think too much and gets caught while he does it. he is much better when he just does things and taht is where you see the glimpses of greatness in him.

I alluded to the fact that he fights equally as good going forward or back in my opening post and he does it brillaintly he is equally as good at either which is quite amazing. The Chin KDs show thsi well as 1 of the KD's is produced going backwards as is some other of his KO's.

Obviously i have pointed out his inside game has definiencies, he just seems to be lacking there as he cant extent his shos out well enough or soemthing.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

Greg i'll check it out asap. Currently busy arguing with some poster on the general.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

haha

i would recommend the Kittikasem 1st fight
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
I'm embarrassed to say i've never sat down to watch Yuri. Before i do, would you say he was better than Lennox Lewis?
That's a very odd comparison.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
kinski
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 825
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

That Russian fighter wasn't he cruiserweight killed by the mob?! Supposedly, he was an awesome but I obviously barely remember the story.
kinski is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,148
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Perfect Boxer-Puncher - Yuri Arbachakov

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinski View Post
That Russian fighter wasn't he cruiserweight killed by the mob?! Supposedly, he was an awesome but I obviously barely remember the story.
No, that was Kobozev and in Brooklyn. I think I am remembering this story to in fact be about Arbachakov. I think he fought that last fight with a bullet in him and pretty much depleted physically.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013