Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #1606
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Vitali-Chisora

VK 117-111
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #1607
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Barry McGuigan UD15 Eusebio Pedroza.

McGuigan gets a bit of stick now and again, but this is a great performance. I know Pedroza was considered past his best, but his worst performances were firmly in his future after all, and the thing works both ways - at 24 and I think having never done 15 rounds before, McGuigan had it all to do.

Fascinating fight early, I had it even after six rounds before the KD in the seventh, which was pretty brutal. Interesting that McGuigan does some of his best work here with his right hand as opposed to his left-hook which is important, because Pedroza's craft in taking away McGuigan's left upstairs wasn't enough, McGuigan had the dimension to hurt him with another punch.

I also thought he jabbed well, and should have jabbed more. Pedroza boxed his way right back into the fight in the 8th, and won it on my card, he landed a lot of great punches, but when McGuigan started to jab at him, Pedroza started to fall apart again. When Barry forgot it again in the 11th and 12th, there was a real danger that his opponent was going to make an unlikely and thrilling tilt at boxing back, and I had only a point in it (the KD) going into the championship rounds.

Again, McGuigan is to be lauded for so firmly taking control of these having so little experience of them, and he swept 13,14 and 15 pretty clearly. It is true Pedroza's legs had gone, but then McGuigan had hit him hard in the 8yh, 10th and 13th. That'll do it.

Great showing by both men, cracking fight.

MCGUIGAN: 2,3,6,7,9,10,13,14,15
PEDROZA: 1,4,5,8,11,12
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #1608
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I've been watching a bit of McGuigan on your Channel McGdawg...He really was quite a handy fighter.

I think really the main thing that people give Baz shite about is the HOF controversy..from me personally it's just sour grapes because Lionel Rose isn't in there..there will likely be worse fighters get the accolade in the future.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #1609
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Yeah, the hall of fame being what it is, he definitely has a right to be in there. He's really pretty good. He's also the type of fighter that would give anyone a fight, formidable.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #1610
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Don Curry vs Marlon Starling I

Really good fight this, with two excellent technical fighters.

In my eyes Starling really just didnt work enough and allowed Curry to nick rounds at range with a nice jaband some sharp counters.

Starling did do all his best work inside with short sharp combinations, but never really worked hard enough IMO, as he had plenty of oppertunities to let his hands go. In the later rounds he afew times used his jab to get into range lovely but failed to follow up on it or do it enough.

Curry on the other hand fought a really good fight, but did tend to linger inside for too long, which could have cost him the fight if Starling was busier.

I could see it being a lot closer with the 7th and 9th beingpretty level, I just preferred Currys more consistent long-range stuff

Curry : 2,3,4,6,7,9,10,11,12
Starling:1,5,8
Total: 117-111 Curry (9-3)
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #1611
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Don Curry vs Marlon Starling I

Really good fight this, with two excellent technical fighters.

In my eyes Starling really just didnt work enough and allowed Curry to nick rounds at range with a nice jaband some sharp counters.

Starling did do all his best work inside with short sharp combinations, but never really worked hard enough IMO, as he had plenty of oppertunities to let his hands go. In the later rounds he afew times used his jab to get into range lovely but failed to follow up on it or do it enough.

Curry on the other hand fought a really good fight, but did tend to linger inside for too long, which could have cost him the fight if Starling was busier.

I could see it being a lot closer with the 7th and 9th beingpretty level, I just preferred Currys more consistent long-range stuff

Curry : 2,3,4,6,7,9,10,11,12
Starling:1,5,8
Total: 117-111 Curry (9-3)
I just watched this fight last week. It felt a little closer for me than 9-3, but not much. I was surprised at the announce team (Ryan, Clancy, Ray Leonard) seemed to have Starling slightly ahead late into the fight.
Spot on about Curry lingering on the inside too much. This tactic would cost him later in his career as his reflexes dulled a bit.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #1612
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Yeah, the hall of fame being what it is, he definitely has a right to be in there. He's really pretty good. He's also the type of fighter that would give anyone a fight, formidable.
I loved Mcguigan then and my eyes don't deceive me when watching him now. The guy could fight. The pressure he could bring, intelligent pressure with that busy jab and head movement, was exceeded by few (Duran, Chavez, Fenech?). The more I watch him, the more I am persuaded to hold him in the same regard as Donald Curry. A terrific fighter who burned bright but burned out quickly. No, he wasn't as skilled as Curry but he certainly had a bit more starch. And the Pedroza he beat, while not peak, wasn't as far gone as some presume in my opinion.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #1613
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
I just watched this fight last week. It felt a little closer for me than 9-3, but not much. I was surprised at the announce team (Ryan, Clancy, Ray Leonard) seemed to have Starling slightly ahead late into the fight.
Spot on about Curry lingering on the inside too much. This tactic would cost him later in his career as his reflexes dulled a bit.
I wasnt happy with my score, felt the fight was closer than that,but everyone round was competitive. And yes I was surprised they had Starling ahead late, but they were great commentating throughout, Clancy and Leonard made loads of interesting points.

Curry lingering would have cost him in this fight if Moochie would have let his hands go IMO. Thing is Curry was fairly effective inside with a solid defenceand picked nice shots, but he just tended towait in there alot too.

Gilberto Roman vs Jiro Watanabe

A really nice tactical fight this one. Again my scorecard is wider than the fight was competitive.

Roman fought an excellant fight in this one, dealing with the more classicly skilled Watanabe brilliantly. It was a matter of range that won it for him IMO.

At long range Roman pressed, keeping the pressure on Watanabe, but without throwing and opening himself up for counters, and wasting energy. He forced Watanabe to go at a higher pace, and if Jiro did wait too long Roman would dart in with quick punches. Of course Jiro did have success at this range.

At mid-range this was where Roman was most effective, he would use multi-phase attacks and come in from long range to deliver them. Jiro just couldnt get set when Roman was darting about mid-range.

In close, Jiro was pretty much ineffective and Roman did a brilliant job of staying busy inside and ripping the body. He's just a master of all ranges.

Roman started excellently IMO, but Watanabe came back in the 8th as he started to lead with his right jab and come in behind it with combo's and looked to start to figure out Roman a wee bit, ashe continued his success through to the 9th but Roman began to up his workrate and set a frantic pace to close the show.

Roman : 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10,11,12
Watanabe: 8,9
Total: 118-110 Roman (10-2)
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #1614
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I think when you consider he's in with arguably the hardest Flyweight puncher in history, Canto is very impressive against Avelar.
True. Avalar was really not a man you wanted to stay in range and swap punches with.Tae-Shik Kim, Oguma, Wilfredo Vasquez and others all paid the price for not giving him enough respect.
lora is online now  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #1615
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Watanabe was done by the Roman fight imo, though being able to half-arse it against some of his worst challengers in the previous couple of fights delayed the inevitable.Sharpness eroded due to his lifestyle and didn't seem interested when he quickly realised Roman was formidable.Just went through the motions and lethargically surrendered his belt.

I think McGuigan during his brief peak would probably beat Morales incidentally.He'd slip inside those long punches and take advantage of how open Morales is all fight long.Beats Hamed too more often than not.
lora is online now  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #1616
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Terry Marsh Who Definitely Didn't Shoot Frank Wrren And Was Aquitted Of Any Crime And Is Innocent TKO6 Alessandro Scapecchi

Nice performance for Marsh, I gave Scapecchi the first round on a very hard right hand, but arguably this is a whitewash for Marsh, whose left hand is on really tremendous form here. A bit of a cut made it exciting though, and it was also exciting when Wrren got into the ring afterwards, but nothing happened.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #1617
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
I loved Mcguigan then and my eyes don't deceive me when watching him now. The guy could fight. The pressure he could bring, intelligent pressure with that busy jab and head movement, was exceeded by few (Duran, Chavez, Fenech?). The more I watch him, the more I am persuaded to hold him in the same regard as Donald Curry. A terrific fighter who burned bright but burned out quickly. No, he wasn't as skilled as Curry but he certainly had a bit more starch. And the Pedroza he beat, while not peak, wasn't as far gone as some presume in my opinion.
Yeah, I'll have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
I think McGuigan during his brief peak would probably beat Morales incidentally.He'd slip inside those long punches and take advantage of how open Morales is all fight long.Beats Hamed too more often than not.
Bold!
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #1618
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Terry Marsh also shot Tim Westwood
Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #1619
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Also?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #1620
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Dont know what I was thinkign with'also', its not like he fought a famous promotor or anything

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum