boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Twitter MMA Facebook Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #1621
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Benvenuti isn't that impressive at all IMO, but he is effective. I thought earlier you were saying you wasnt too impressed?

Canto is much more multi-faceted than Benvenuti, I'd say in every area but power and strength Canto has the edge. And clearly in some areas.

I'd say Basilio is just slightly under Canto as he was fairly multi-faceted and his style was beastly.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #1622
lora
Fighting Zapata
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Benvenuti gets underrated because he was as stiff as a pedo in a nursery.
lora is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #1623
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Aye he does, he takes a while to get used to. But he is effective.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #1624
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Benvenuti isn't that impressive at all IMO, but he is effective. I thought earlier you were saying you wasnt too impressed?

Canto is much more multi-faceted than Benvenuti, I'd say in every area but power and strength Canto has the edge. And clearly in some areas.

I'd say Basilio is just slightly under Canto as he was fairly multi-faceted and his style was beastly.
Again relativity. Benvenuti and basilio were the least impressive i'd seen on film at the time i'd seen them. Benvenuti was slightly less impressive than basilio but they were same tier I thought.

After watching canto I decided he was even less impressive.

I'm not sure what it is about canto I didn't like. As I say i'll watch him v gonzalez and maybe i'll reach the conclusion he's better than these two.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #1625
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Again relativity. Benvenuti and basilio were the least impressive i'd seen on film at the time i'd seen them. Benvenuti was slightly less impressive than basilio but they were same tier I thought.

After watching canto I decided he was even less impressive.

I'm not sure what it is about canto I didn't like. As I say i'll watch him v gonzalez and maybe i'll reach the conclusion he's better than these two.
In what ways is he less impressive? as I say in every area, Canto is better than Benvenuti.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #1626
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
In what ways is he less impressive? as I say in every area, Canto is better than Benvenuti.
I'm not sure what it was I'm about to watch his rematch with gonzalez so maybe I'll rethink my opinion of him then
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #1627
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
I'm not sure what it was I'm about to watch his rematch with gonzalez so maybe I'll rethink my opinion of him then
OK sound.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #1628
lora
Fighting Zapata
East Side Guru

Quote:
Not for everybody obviously

i could see someone favouring Nino, depending on what they look for in a fighter.Canto has a very specific stylistic approach after all, even though he's a complete fighter technically.
lora is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #1629
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Greg, I think the reason I wasn't as impressed was because of something you elluded to, at times he went to war and traded shots. When Carbajal did that in the first against Humberto, he blocked most of what was coming back at him and I didn't see it so much as a trade off as a beating (although when humberto did get through he hurt carbajal and dropped him twice). With the canto-alvarez fight there was too much exchanging of shots for my liking I think, maybe I was watchin it wrong and missing out on subtle nuances though.

I've just watched the first round of canto vs gonzalez now, much much more impressed, a guy that small to even outjab an opponent is impressive enough but his accuracy and movement is really good. clearly takes the first round imo. I'm gonna put my score up when it finishes but if the rest of the rounds continue like this I'll be rethinking my grading od his performance anyways
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #1630
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Id say its pretty objective that Canto is better in pretty much all areas than Nino

didnt think canto got hit that much vs avelar
Old 02-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #1631
Moochie
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Watch Canto vs Furesawa. Probably the best performance I've seen of him.
Moochie is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #1632
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Canto vs Gonzalez

1: 10-9
2: 10-9
3: 10-9
4: 10-9
5: 9-10
6: 10-9
7: 10-9
8: 10-9
9: 9-10
10: 10-9
11: 10-9
12: 10-9
13: 9-10
14: 10-9
15: 10-9

147 - 138

I'm not really sure how this was a split decision? maybe the last 2 rounds could of gone gonzalez's way (I preferred canto's clean shots on the inside as opposed to gonzalez's strong man tactics) but no way did betulio rack up 8 rounds in that fight, no way at all.

Yeah the avealr performance didn't do it for me, but here he did look fantastic. Such a great left hand in that fight, sometimes he'd throw 4 left hands in a row without reply. His movement on the outside was top class and on the inside he was strong enough to hold his ground and mixed up body and head shots brilliantly. Occassionaly the bigger man was able to trap him one time too often and take the rond but by and large this was a schooling.

I take back what I said on him (well I didn't like him againsta velar but I can see why he's highly regarded as a filmed fighter now).

It isn't up there with the ali-terrell performance but it's just below benitez-cervantes for me. so it makes the third tier which is a lot better than I previously had him.

Quite impressed, maybe too impressed because I wonder if I over compensated on the scoring considering it was a split decision :
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #1633
lora
Fighting Zapata
East Side Guru

Was that the 2nd or 3rd fight against Gonzalez, Luf?.

I think both were split, if i remember correctly.Gonzalez was a very good fighter, but also one of the most well backed Flyweights of the whole decade.Got more chances than just about anyone.
lora is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #1634
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Was that the 2nd or 3rd fight against Gonzalez, Luf?.

I think both were split, if i remember correctly.Gonzalez was a very good fighter, but also one of the most well backed Flyweights of the whole decade.Got more chances than just about anyone.
The 2nd I believe. 75 unless i've got the date completely wrong.

He showed good resolve in the fight by never giving up, he just couldn't get an did on canto imo, he was outjabbed, he was outmanouvered and on the inside he was mostly outpunched. He was able to overwhelm canto occasionally with his strength and catch him with shots as he backpedalled but the success was few and far between.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #1635
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Canto vs Gonzalez

1: 10-9
2: 10-9
3: 10-9
4: 10-9
5: 9-10
6: 10-9
7: 10-9
8: 10-9
9: 9-10
10: 10-9
11: 10-9
12: 10-9
13: 9-10
14: 10-9
15: 10-9

147 - 138

I'm not really sure how this was a split decision? maybe the last 2 rounds could of gone gonzalez's way (I preferred canto's clean shots on the inside as opposed to gonzalez's strong man tactics) but no way did betulio rack up 8 rounds in that fight, no way at all.

Yeah the avealr performance didn't do it for me, but here he did look fantastic. Such a great left hand in that fight, sometimes he'd throw 4 left hands in a row without reply. His movement on the outside was top class and on the inside he was strong enough to hold his ground and mixed up body and head shots brilliantly. Occassionaly the bigger man was able to trap him one time too often and take the rond but by and large this was a schooling.

I take back what I said on him (well I didn't like him againsta velar but I can see why he's highly regarded as a filmed fighter now).

It isn't up there with the ali-terrell performance but it's just below benitez-cervantes for me. so it makes the third tier which is a lot better than I previously had him.

Quite impressed, maybe too impressed because I wonder if I over compensated on the scoring considering it was a split decision :
That's a decent scorecard. Pay no attention to the 'split' decision.

Just on the Nino-Canto thing, for me, Nino is clearly the superior offensive force.

As an aside I watched Watanabe fight Chul-Ho Kim recently, a decent fight in which an early Watanabe gets blatantly robbed. Kim pressed the action and was game to the end, but Watanabe was nailing him with beautiful clean shots all night and kept his bounce going for all 15 rounds.

Such a pity Watanabe petered out to nothing more than a lazy technician so soon. The guy had great skills backed with a great chin and a lot of stamina.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum