Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #1651
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyourownway View Post
Marvin Johnson vs Jean Marie Emebe

One of the forgotten classics of the 1980's.Undoubtedly more brutal,vicious and sustained than Hagler-Mugabi,McGuigan-Cruz and Holyfield-Qawi,though it's never received the plaudits as the fights mentioned have.

Johnson was clearly past it at this point and his legs were gone; he was fighting on sheer will alone in those last couple of fights in his career,taking an extraordinary amount of punishment in the process.

Emebe controlled the action through the first seven,standing toe-to-toe and trading some nasty looking exchanges with Johnson(very few of them ever missing) before Johnson really started to make headway from round eight onwards.

Just a shame it was ruined by a terrible stoppage.

I have wanted to see this for some time. Is it on youtube?

I also loved the first Johnson-Leslie Stewart tussle. The first round of that was amazing.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #1652
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
I have wanted to see this for some time. Is it on youtube?

I also loved the first Johnson-Leslie Stewart tussle. The first round of that was amazing.
I put this fight up on one of the archives sites a few months back because I hadn't see it around anywhere. I'd be happy to get you a copy. Let me know.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #1653
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

One of Benitez's best performances must be against Maurice Hope, (a very strong and durable southpaw). After a few early rounds, Benitez was able to outwork Hope off of the ropes with strong counters. At times he was even able to load up on shots and simply wail away at Hope. Benitez's body work was very good also. In the 12th round Benitez backed up hope to the ropes and loaded up with an overhand right, and completely knocked him out for the count. Beautiful knockout.
I scored almost every single round for Benitez, except the 9th round and the first few rounds.

Benitez:3,4,6,7,8,10,11,12
Hope:1,2,5,9
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #1654
Goyourownway
Insanity enthusiast
ESB Senior Member

Location: Challenging you and pushing your body to it's full limit
vCash: 500

I downloaded the fight off of WBVA(thanks to the uploader,by the way).

Took a couple of days but the wait was worth it.Johnson was one of the great value-for-money fighters of the 70's and 80's,though not one of his fights were ever listed as fight of the year by Ring magazine,who felt the Foreman-Young fight was a more compelling one than the first Saad-Johnson fight.

The rematch against Stewart was an exciting one,too,in the sense that a man can survive an opening round in which he's down(twice,I think) and on the verge of being knocked out,then spending the rest of the fight relentlessly pursuing his opponent,in spite of sickening beating he's taking,until the very end.
Goyourownway is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #1655
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
I put this fight up on one of the archives sites a few months back because I hadn't see it around anywhere. I'd be happy to get you a copy. Let me know.
thanks man, that'd be great! I'll pm you about it...
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #1656
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Carter v Araujo.

Hard to describe what I make of this one.

I've just watched it twice to be sure.

At first glance it basically looks like Araujo schools carter early doors then late on carter catches Araujo and never lets up.

Then I watched it again and it's interesting when you consider the size difference (unsure of the actual heights here, I'm going off a visual comparison on the fight) All night Araujo was bouncing around on his feet landing hard combos and getting out of range, whilst this exchange would go on, Carter would stalk forward, maybe throw a jab and try to block shots. Is it feasible that he had faith in his power, saw the energy Araujo was burning and decided to put it all on wearing him down?

Kinda reminds me a lot of Louis v Conn. One argument is it's a patient fight caculating when the best time to strike was, another argument is the guy was being schooled, the opponent got careless and he landed his hail mary shot.

I'd like to believe it's the first option. Carter gave away the early rounds to go for a late onslaught. I could be way off here but even when he's being beaten up, he still looks caluclating and never really strays from the stalk and jab in the first 11 rounds.

He still doesn't look great on film because he still got schooled early doors, but it's a consideration worth thinking about when pitting him H2H, the opponent would have to be screwed on all night if the LW version showed up (he seemed to be really shit up at WW but great at LW).

As a side note, is Araujo one of the best contenders never to win a (or be an uncrowned) world championsip?

Great fight anyways.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #1657
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Tim Austin vs Adan Vargas

Austin- 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9

Vargas- 1, 4, 8

Good stoppage in the round 10....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #1658
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Cerdan vs Zale.

Marcel was clearly winning this fight with effective pressure. didn't let his hands go that much though and he was easy to hit.

The finish was brutal, zale looked out cold despite up against the ropes and it's a good job the ref was so close or we could have had a similar situation to mercer v morrison.

Decent fighter and I could imagine him giving many a man a hard night (wins over williams, abrams and zale have to be testament to this) but aside from carter's come from behind ko (in a fight he was clearly losing imo) this is probably the least great I've seen a fighter look recently whilst winning the fight.

Still, compared to a huge percentage of boxer's he looks world class. But compared to the other HOF guys, not so much.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #1659
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Decent fighter and I could imagine him giving many a man a hard night (wins over williams, abrams and zale have to be testament to this)
As far as i know Holman was on the decline.

Both fighters were injured in this fight.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #1660
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester1583 View Post
As far as i know Holman was on the decline.

Both fighters were injured in this fight.
Yeah he injured his hand in the 4th or something like that.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #1661
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Tavoris Cloud SD Gabriel Campillo

Great fight, Campillo shows great skills, I especially loved the straight left/right uppercut combo he delivered three times in the early rounds and I loved that when he gained in confidence he came inside and start fighting two-handed up close stepping off onto that horrible little angle to leave Cloud floundering.

He boxed beautifully in round 8 which is when he pulled level on the cards for me after that disastrous first round when he got dropped twice. Be worthwhile looking to see what adjustments he made to slip that right hand from the second onwards? Cloud did help him though, inexplicably going backwards in round two for no apparent reason, I watched it a second time just to make sure he didn't get hurt and I can't find a solitary reason for it, why?

I do think, on first viewing though, that it was not a robbery...I have it a draw.

CLOUD:1,4,6,11,12
CAMPILLO: 2,3,5,7,8,9,10

113-113

The rounds I was a little uncomfortable with were 4,5 and 11, two of which are Cloud rounds, so I'd be happier with a Campillo card based upon these swings, but I could see a Cloud card if he had round 5 scored to him.

Good, absorbing contest and I hope they do it again.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #1662
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Vitali Klitschko UD12 Derek Chisora

Interesting wee fight, Chisora did very well, I wish he had jabbed jabbed jabbed more to the body, the body shots were troubling him and a few more points could have generated a very very interesting close.

VITALI: 1,2,3,5,7,9,11
CHISORA:4,6,8,12

8-4 VITALI.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #1663
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Vitali: 1; 2; 3;
Chisora: 4;

Then I got bored.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #1664
Moochie
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

It happens.
Moochie is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #1665
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Cervantes vs Ortiz.

Good little fight this. At first ceravantes seemed to be wild and aggressive but he started covering up and countering which led to him landing some beautiful shots on ortiz.

Very good handspeed and obvious power in each hand. His patience was very good in the second as well, not sure if he was playing possum against the ropes when ortiz began to rush him but either way he landed a sweet left hook that brought an end to proceedings.

You'd need a good chin and great workrate to beat him on the inside in my opinion. I think he'd knock out hatton.

Would have been interesting seeing him against pryor when he was a bit younger, I'd still pick Pryor to overwhelm him but it might be a bit more of a competitive matchup.

Anyways, crushing display by cervantes.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum