Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #1741
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Burns really showed his right hand off against the Aussie, who fell like he'd been shot.
Yeah he looked really good I thought.

The guy should have stayed at lhw. He was clearly the best lhw in the world and could well have secured a great legacy at the weight.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #1742
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Nah, he did the right thing. Heavyweight Champion of the World in his day? I bet he was pretty happy with what he achieved.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #1743
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Nah, he did the right thing. Heavyweight Champion of the World in his day? I bet he was pretty happy with what he achieved.
Oh yeah i'm sure he is.

I'm not being clear in what I meant. I think he could have done like armstrong and simultaneously ruled the divisions. He was way above any lhw of his day.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #1744
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

That being said, whilst he was quite talented, he was a paper champ in the hw division.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #1745
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Hideki Tokada vs Yokthai Sithoar

Oh My God !!! This is awesome !

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PbqewGjIuc[/ame]

Impressive display of heart by both guys.....One of the best fights I ever seen.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #1746
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Micheal Carbajal TKO8 Robinson Cuesto

Modern classic no less, as Cuesto battles for survival against a rampant Carbajal. In the first, Cuesto's plan of jab, move and look for an opening for a sharp, hard right-hand looks good, and the length of his punches grab him a purposeful looking opening frame. But it's not the classic Panamanian style, he fights out of a sort of crouch, it's not so much that he leaves his punches lying out there more that he leans in when he throws them, he's trying to give himself all the length he can, which is understandable against Carbajal, but he forgets to move off sometimes, and it does him harm in two. He leans in with a jab and gets hurt by Carbajal on his way in. From here on the fight changes. Cuesto looks different straight away, he suddenly seems vulnerable, he looks like a spooked horse and Carbajal just seems that little bit closer all the time.

At the beginning of the third he looks to have regained himself and does everything right, jabbing and moving without becoming un-economical, holding on the inside and stalling at the break, and although he's on his way to losing the round he looks to have at least regained himself a little when he leans in on another punch and gets absolutely leathered with the left hook. Carbajal's left can be a thing of beauty and this was perfect for him, maybe just slightly inside mid-range? He wheels it round on a fencepost and the full force crashes through Cuesto's moored chin. Cuesto looks utterly gone, he does the little dance, he does the splayed collapse, he hits his head on the canvas...but somehow gets up.

Norman Mailer once wrote that a fighter could "continue indefinitely" if he recieved the knockout blow but somehow survived it. I think he cited Frazier-Foreman. I always felt it was mostly bullshit but if I was going to defend that statement I'd pick this fight. Carbajal hits this guy with everything he's got, every punch there is, he launches a sustained body attack as brutal as any i've ever seen, he mixes in cruel, cruel punches to the head but Cuesto doesn't go down again. A combination of heart, chin and possibly the severance of the nerves that tell his brain he is beaten allow him to stay in the fight and I actually have him winning the sixth based upon two brutal right hands to the head and a left-hook to the body - he also throws, and half lands, two astonishing punches wound up in the style of a baseball pitcher, including the glance behind himself as he dashes his right hand across.

Carbajal seemed black affronted and was so astonished he did not counter.

He was more afronted though by Cuesto's refusal to buckle in the seventh as he lands a triple left-hook (body, head, body) that would have had Joe Frazier out of his seat applauding and even more astonished when he Cuesto finally collapses under an overwhelming attack in the 8th - once again fully splayed on the deck, once again there seems to be impact between head and canvas - only to rise once more. Carbajal is actually shouting at his corner, he seems genuinely furious. It's the closest I've seen to Apollo Creed's shake of the head as Balboa rises in the last of their first fight in Rocky I!

The referee waves the fight off, and it's the right thing to do, but he arguably should have been allowed to continue here if he were allowed to continue in the third!

As fluent as Carbajal has ever been on offence but he was only able to showcase his skills due to the astounding punch resistance and heart of Robinson Cuesto.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #1747
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Pichit Sithbangprachan KO3 Rodolfo Blanco

Cool performance by Sithbranranckorfor who looks relaxed and poised, if not particularly special (to me - Ian Darke sounds like he's going to shit himself with delight in the commentary) in dispatching veteran Rodolfo Blanco. On paper Sithbangproaejfgaldkgj just didn't have the experience to win this fight, but he put them together well whilst showing good punch resistance to Blanco's heavy jab and foraging uppercut.

A nice win against an opponent who looked like he didn't want to be there after taking his lumps early in 2 and probably quit when he was legitimately hammered to the canvas with a nasty, clubbing right-hand.

Fun miniature.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #1748
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Paul Hodkinson TKO4 Ricardo Cepeda

The underated Hodkinson is in full control of the huge Cepeda from teh first. Great boxing and sharp punches inside, never allowing Cepeda to smother or handle him, and although he doesn't box from the outside in the traditional sense, he countered beautifully in one and two off a little half-step and closed the distance well with decent shots when he wanted to come in.

Good performance.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2012, 03:59 AM   #1749
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Hideki Tokada vs Yokthai Sithoar
Oh My God !!! This is awesome !
Nice fight!

Have you seen last year's FOTY candidate Shinsuke Yamanaka vs. Ryosuke Iwasa, Vic?

Good action between two young undefeated bantamweights.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #1750
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Yes.....IB posted right here in this thread that fight.....
Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #1751
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Re-watched Griffith vs Rodriguez I...didn´t watch this in a while....

Griffith - 1, 3, 4, 7, 8

Rodriguez - 2, 5, 6, 9, 10

DRAW IMO

Rodriguez trying to box more with his ATG jab (Griffith´s jab is great as well) in the first round....Griffith looking good with the body punches....they seem hard ! Obviously Rodriguez knew very well how to be a great body puncher and infighter as well.....tough fight on the inside, nice action.....
Round 3 was clearly to EG....landed some hard short punches !!
Great mobility by both....
Accurate right hands by EG during the bout...Rodriguez landed the cleaner body punches in the last two rounds.....

Close and Great Fight.....
Old 03-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #1752
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Chang v Zapata 2

Great display by chang and I can see now why he gest so much love by those who follow the lower weights.

This fight really was a great clinic by him, he began on the outside, controlling range with his jab and movement, then he began working his way into zapata with punishing body shots and brilliant hooks.

Infact he was that relentless and accurate that zapata seemingly quit.

Really impressive display imo, the stoppage is a good bonus because looking at his record, he didn't stop that many people.

Quality showing.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #1753
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Chang v Zapata 2
Quality showing.
Hawks are always great!
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #1754
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Lennox Lewis UD12 Evander Holyfield

In many ways the judging in this fight was as strange as it was for New York, I disagreed with judges on rounds 1,3,4 and 5, pretty cleanly on a lot of these occasions, I thought Lederman's card was best, although I also disagreed with him on 1. I guess if it mattered I should look at that round again, fortunately I gave it to Evander and so don't have to bother.

LEWIS: 2,4,5,8,9,10,11
HOLYFIELD: 1,3,5,6,12

7-5 LEWIS

Lewis just bossed the second half of the fight for me. I had it even after 8, which no HBO observers seemed to agree with, but Lewis swept 8,9,10 and 11 to make sure on my card. It's an interesting fight in one regard, and that's that Lewis wins rounds early by being bigger and longer, but the rounds that win him the unified title are bought by fighting. It's the punches he lands inside, or coming inside, mainly uppercuts that do the damage. All the bullshit about Holyfield taking away Lewis's jab is just that, because the jab was a factor, but nothing like the one it was in the first fight. This was indeed partially down to Holyfield's jab and body-work, but credit too to Lewis for meshing plan A and plan B to make a servicable plan C.

Would love to have seen Holyfield tackle this Lewis in his prime. Perversely, I pick Lewis by knockout but I think Holyfield might have made it a really really exciting fight.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #1755
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
Eubank vs Close rematch

Eubank:1,4,5,6,8,10,11,12
Close:2,3,7,9

Commentators had Eubank winning a very close fight i think..or maybe a draw, general opinion was another robbery. Most of the time i don't pay much attention to commentary and have forgotten a lot of their opinions already.Usually i'll score fights with the sound off, but this was the first time i had watched a lot of these fights in a long time, and i was intersted to hear an alternate take as the fights were taking place.

Now this is probably the one where i disagreed the most with them.They saw an epic battle and tremendous effort by Close, akin to the Watson rematch...i saw a crap fight between one fighter(close) who had altered his style to a very specific, mostly conservative jab and move based gameplan, and the other guy who was mostly out of sorts, taking about 8 rounds to get his timing down.

Close might have deserved to win for effort alone, andwith Eubank looking lethargic, it may have caught the eye of many at ringside.Unfortunately for him, he was still being slightly outjabbed in many rounds, and other than the odd right hand he was struggling to break Eubank's D.

Eubank's low workrate and bad timing kept a lot of rounds tight, though his rights to the body and semi-effective jab were usually shading them for me.

Close was reeling around hurt again late, and lost the last few rounds which were decisive for me.It would have served EUbank right in a way if he had lost this fight, but i really don't think it was a genuine robbery.Close simply got nowhere near enough punches through.
Eubank's take on that fight:
"The idea was to enter the ring at 180 pounds and stop him in the early rounds on body shots or uppercuts, but I was too heavy and sluggish to get them off before he moved out of range, so I changed tactics to get my jab working and grind Ray down with the heavy jab round after round just waiting until he had to sink his head into my chest so I could get the punches off on him."
atberry is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum