Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #1771
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Nah, I didn't I will get around to it though.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #1772
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Vicente Mijares Saldivar UD12 Arturo Pineda

So this is Vicente Saldivar the 1970's contender, not the 1960's champion.

The fight is a total domination of Saldivar over Pineda. It's especially impressive because Pineda should arguably have been an ex- or current lightweigth champion of the world, having boxed 30 rounds with Guts Suzuki, the first fight a suspect 15 round draw and the second fight an out-and-out robbery loss, one of the worst of the decade, outright condemed by the WBC.

Pineda was unquestionably on the wane here, but was still ranked #5 in the world, and was still perhaps the most feared puncher in the division. Saldivar makes light of though, boxing with an insane level of maturity for a 19 fight novice, showing good economy,uncanny control of distance and just about every punch in the book in forcing Pineda back.

In fact, Pineda turns runner on a couple of occasions having been legitimately hurt by Saldivar who has the apperance of being the puncher in the fight. It's impressive to see him dig deep though in the 11th, a superb back-and-forth action round where he manages to fight Saldivar to a standstill for the first time.

That round aside, it's an arguable shout-out. What makes this fight relevant is how impressive it makes DeJesus's total control of Saldivar seem. He wasn't really in that fight and was totally shut down.

SALDIVAR: 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10
PINEDA: 11
EVEN: 4,12
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #1773
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Ezzard Charles v Harold Johnson

1: 9-10
2: 9-10
3: 10-9
4: 9-10
5: 9-10
6: 9-10
7: 10-9
8: 9-10
9: 10-9
10: 10-9 (10-8 if ruled a kd)

94-96 (94-95 if kd ruled)

The vast majority of this fight is a jab clinic.

Johnson could have won this fight just throwing the jab and right uppercut whenever charles closed the distance. When Johnson tried mixing it up, Charles would land big counter rights which is where he took some rounds on my card.

Definitely not a robbery imo.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #1774
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Definitely not a robbery imo.
Hell no it's not a robbery!
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #1775
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Vicente Saldivar TKO15 Raul Rojas

This is champion Saldivar this time.

And he turns in a grand stalking performance against a cracking (I think unbeaten) Rojas who refused to be stalked out of position throughout. He punched back beautifully too and actually Saldivar hurt in round 7, five rounds before Saldivar really managed to return the favour. Still, Saldivar was banking rounds with his usual tricks of controlling the range and beautiful punching accuracy which would have a grinding affect on Rojas. Rojas was there right to the 13th though, which I gave him a split of, but you can see Saldivar starting to handle him in the 14th and Rojas looks likes he wants to get away with the first time.

Saldivar doesn't break form and matches him step for step, then, and when he's struggling desperately in the thrilling 15th when Rojas is treated to a fuselage that can only be described as "Louis-like". The fact that he can't quite drum up Louis's concussive power just makes the beating all the more horrific as Rojas staggers about the ring, his brain quite out of touch with his legs.

The fight was finally stopped some seconds after my balls had started trying to crawl up into my body. Never seen this one before, and it's not a great fight, but what a great finish.

i had Saldivar 7-4-3 up at the time of the stoppage. The footage isn't great which is why i have three even rounds, you couldn't pick out all the punches.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #1776
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Hell no it's not a robbery!
With all this Charles defending lately people were making out every loss is bullshit. Watching this fight, which everyone can do thanks to you , it is apparent that Charles was quite simply, outjabbed.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #1777
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
With all this Charles defending lately people were making out every loss is bullshit. Watching this fight, which everyone can do thanks to you , it is apparent that Charles was quite simply, outjabbed.
OLD FOGEY put up a card for Charles that was OK, but it's no robbery and overall I like a card for Johnson, yours is fine and dandy.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #1778
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I've seen a few posters say they thought Charles was robbed on here over the years.I can see how you might be able to think he shaded it depending on your scoring preferences, but the close Johnson win was fine imo.
lora is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #1779
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Chavez vs Rosario

Absolutely brilliant performance by Chavez. His defence is good but he takes quite a few shots, very few land flush though. His combination punching, stamina, workrate, chin, accuracy and killer instinct are all displayed brilliantly here against the man I felt was the best Lw int he world at the time of the fight.

I think he gets a bit of stick due to his massive early career padding, but that's just a throwback to times gone by.

Deifnitely a ring legend and a true great, this is, imo, his best showing.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #1780
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Chavez vs Rosario

Absolutely brilliant performance by Chavez. His defence is good but he takes quite a few shots, very few land flush though. His combination punching, stamina, workrate, chin, accuracy and killer instinct are all displayed brilliantly here against the man I felt was the best Lw int he world at the time of the fight.

I think he gets a bit of stick due to his massive early career padding, but that's just a throwback to times gone by.

Deifnitely a ring legend and a true great, this is, imo, his best showing.
considering Rosario's showings against Ramirez , Randall and Camacho it possibly is .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #1781
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Cokes vs Ludick

Interesting fight. At first Cokes strategy wasn't impressing me at all, he was being the opposite of a ring general and just giving up space whenever Ludick pressed forward. Seemed overly negative, but then I noticed he was throwing his right with full forc from the outset. He wasn't actually giving up territory, he was subtley walking Ludick onto his power shots.

After the first couple of rounds when he'd softened him up a bit he opened up more with a pretty good array of shots to show off his skills.

The end came in the fifth and it seemed inevitable at that point because his right was laser guided.

Found myslef strangely impressed by the end of it.

his career was quite strange, depsite picking up some decent victories, he was very very inconsistent early doors and after losing to pace he announced his retirement, I wonder if it was because he'd seen glimpses of what he was capable of but couldn't pull it all together?

He returned to the sport and must have had a new focus because one loss at LMW aside, he swept his WW opposition over the next few years culminating in a career which would end up being great.

I'd love to know more info about why he did quite and why he was more focused upon his rteurn because I'm just supposing for the main part there.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #1782
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Just watched the longer footage of Carnera vs Schaff......tragic fight, really sad to see the end of the bout......

But, that was a great performance by Primo...loved his jabs, controlling the fight all the time....great uppercuts when on the clinch....good footwork, parrying some punches really well....Carnera was even landing good combinations which wasn´t common for him....with accuracy !!
Carnera is underrated, we already said that in some threads, but that was a good display of his quality for sure, the best on film.....We know Schaff was past prime, but he beat Stanley Poreda (a decent fighter) by KO only one month before....tragic ending to a great performance by Carnera.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #1783
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Conn vs Bettina.

I think that despite the scores, this was a brilliant performance by Conn. His control of range was excellent and his jab was really top class. He obviously wasn't confident in his pwoer as even though he throws great combos at time, he doesn't put much into them.

His defence isn't brilliant but against an awkward southpaw aggressor it should be expected a few clean shots get through.

Very good performance on the outside.

Some might argue his performance against Louis is superior but I can't rank a ko loss over a unification victory.

Brilliant anyways. Looking over his career in detail, the guy actually picked up some truly great victories at MW also. Plus he'd beaten a number of HW contenders before his shot at Louis (although they could all have been fought in the CW division)
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #1784
MyName
Simon Adebisi
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 7331

Barrera vs Juarez I.

Barrera controled the pace of the fight from the outside in the beggining with Juarez lunging in with the occasional left hook.Middle rounds domination by The Baby Faced Assassin.
Third quarter of the fight MAB looked tired and stood in punch range with Juarez landing the better shots and stunning the Mexican great on several occasions.
A unusual mouth piece problem with MAB.
Had it 15-114 for Juarez but the split either way or a draw would have been fair.
Rounds 6 and 10 were awesome.
MyName is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #1785
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Saen Sor Ploechit UD12 Yong Kang Kim

This is one of these weird, strange nights that only far Eastern boxing can kick up...

Kim, a former champion, is Saen Sor's third defence of his WBA flyweight strap (he would rack up an impressive nine) and it was made in front of 50,000 boiling fans who go nuts every time Saen Sor misses a punch. And he misses a few.

Round 8 sums up these guys well, Kim comes out and he's shucking and jiving all over the place, moving forwards loads of head movement, dipping in and out but he just forgets to throw punches. He looks like a pressure fighter that just isn't throwing punches. And Saen Sor is all small moves, flash footwork, but he's not making angles for punches so much as moving and gliding about, a moving box-puncher without any cohesion. They look like fighters who turned up to their gyms as kids with pre-conceived notions on how they are going to box, but instead of having these ideas beaten out of them, they somehow are carried to titles and great glory on the back of these unfulfilled styles.

For the purposes of this fight though, it bodes quite well, as they both just end up stood in front of each other flinging leather back and forth. Saen Sor Ploenchit has the faster hands, throws more, and misses more, but Kim definitely has his moments (shame there aren't more of them as his name is easier to type) and his body-punching is clearly superior.

The legend has it that Saen Sor was winning even the first round when he was flashed, before going on to pretty much win every other round. Boxrec: "Over 50,000 fans turn out for free boxing event. Slick boxer/puncher champion dominates Round 1 only to go down.The rest of the fight saw the Thai easily outbox the former world champion Kim."

Firstly, Saen Sor really isn't that slick. Secondly, this was a closeish fight. I had them even going into the 8th round, I don't think it was easy for Saen Sor to outbox Kim at all. He definitely put his foot down in the final third though, and I may have been generous in giving Kin the 12th.

Somewhere in amongst the fouls and the strangeness (Kim does an impersonation of Roy Jones in the 8th, squatting low with both hands raised, showing them to Saen Sor, who watched him respectfully for a moment before realising he wasn't going to do anything, and punched him in the shoulder) a good-tempered and entertaining fight broke out. I enjoyed it and will probably upload it at a later date if anyone wants a look.

My card read 115-112 for Saen Sor Ploenchit.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum