boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #1876
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
You haven't seen the Billy Graham fight?

That's one of the most skill packed fights of all time.

I'd rather watch that fight for a 50th time than watch the best fights out there today.

IMO Gavilan takes it close but clear, but many have it differently and the more you watch the fight, the more you'll appreciate Graham's subtlety.
Yeah I saw an 8-7 type fight but wasn't sure which fight it was.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #1877
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Gavilan v Bratton 1

Much more impressed now seeing Gavilan perform at that level against someone who was a quality operator for more than 2 fights.

Gavilan really did kick his **** here and infact the fight probably would have been stopped today when Kid broke his jaw. he probably landed about 50 flush power punches, **** knows how Bratton stayed on his feet because you could see his hands down and his head snapping with every punch.

Awesome defence in the early goings as well, Bratton only landed a handful of shots the rest were slipped.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #1878
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Giardello v Tiger 3.

Joey Giardello, he fights good fight here. Not the most skillful display but it's against a peak ATG in **** Tiger so I can cut him some slack. He boxed well in parts behind the jab and catching Tiger with good shots as he came in. He actually looked like a big MW in there against Tiger. Good punch variety displayed but not the best defence in the world.

In general, at 5'10 he fights quite tall in his fights and doesn't look clumsy when he trades on the inside, infact his punch variety if the thing that impresses me the most. He could throw hard solid jabs, accurate straight rights, disguised uppercuts and solid hooks. His chin is obviously very solid with only suffering two real stoppages, one in his second year as a pro and the other about 100 fights later ijn his 3rd to last fight (didn't get dropped though, ref intervention).

It's fair to say he was confident in his beard and I think at times he's willing to take a punch to land his own and set up a combination (he only had about a 30% ko record though). His defence isn't the best and his hand speed isn't great either.

The times when he boxes he looks really good. The times when he ****es, although he does get off good shots, he can get outlanded because his handspeed, imo, isn't the best.

It's starneg to gauge how good he was because he lost so many fights consistently throughout his career. Even narrowing his prime down to his best 4 years, there's still room for 6 losses. Like a lot of guys from that era he began his career against the rounds of club fighters winning most and dropping the odd fight here and there. He stepped up his competition in about 52 winning big fights against graham and splitting two fights with giambra. over the next 2 years he only lost to graham and saxton (though I'm suspicious of any saxton points victory ) he actually seemingly got to the number 1 contender spot in 54. then he lost to langlois, went 2-2 with some guy named cotton, was stopped on cuts against webb and lost a close fight to tiger jones.

He then split 2 fights with proabably a pre prime Tiger beofre stepping up against the best MW in the world in Fullmer.

I'm not even sure why I've written all this, I'm just trying to get my head around inconsistent he was.

Even allowing for everything before the big fullmer fight to be beofre his prim, there's still 6 losses over the next 4 years.

A range of styles defeated him as well.

I think I'd personally label him as someone who wasn't a great fighter, but someone who could fight great. On his best night he'd give a lot of MW's a good fight and in his best years he did exactly that. It just took him an aweful long time to get to his prime and once there, he still found himself wanting on a number of occassions.

Still, someone drawing against Fullmer and splitting a series with Tiger can't be that bad right?

anyways, back to the point of the post. He fought well against Tiger. good rugged display mainly behind the jab on the backfoot with good combinations on the inside.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #1879
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Great post Luf, I liked this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy
I think I'd personally label him as someone who wasn't a great fighter, but someone who could fight great.
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #1880
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Marco Antonio Barrera SD12 Erik Morales

Great fight, everyone knows about this one, think it's set me off re-watching the trilogy.

BARRERA: 1,2,3,8,9,11,12
MORALES:4,5,6,7,10

Tough rounds to score sometimes, I think 3 and 7 could have gone either way, but they got one each, so cool. The knockdown was bs, but I still don't think Morales did enough. I think he got nailed down in the eleventh and the twelfth.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #1881
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Giardello v Tiger 3.

Joey Giardello, he fights good fight here. Not the most skillful display but it's against a peak ATG in **** Tiger so I can cut him some slack. He boxed well in parts behind the jab and catching Tiger with good shots as he came in. He actually looked like a big MW in there against Tiger. Good punch variety displayed but not the best defence in the world.

In general, at 5'10 he fights quite tall in his fights and doesn't look clumsy when he trades on the inside, infact his punch variety if the thing that impresses me the most. He could throw hard solid jabs, accurate straight rights, disguised uppercuts and solid hooks. His chin is obviously very solid with only suffering two real stoppages, one in his second year as a pro and the other about 100 fights later ijn his 3rd to last fight (didn't get dropped though, ref intervention).

It's fair to say he was confident in his beard and I think at times he's willing to take a punch to land his own and set up a combination (he only had about a 30% ko record though). His defence isn't the best and his hand speed isn't great either.

The times when he boxes he looks really good. The times when he ****es, although he does get off good shots, he can get outlanded because his handspeed, imo, isn't the best.

It's starneg to gauge how good he was because he lost so many fights consistently throughout his career. Even narrowing his prime down to his best 4 years, there's still room for 6 losses. Like a lot of guys from that era he began his career against the rounds of club fighters winning most and dropping the odd fight here and there. He stepped up his competition in about 52 winning big fights against graham and splitting two fights with giambra. over the next 2 years he only lost to graham and saxton (though I'm suspicious of any saxton points victory ) he actually seemingly got to the number 1 contender spot in 54. then he lost to langlois, went 2-2 with some guy named cotton, was stopped on cuts against webb and lost a close fight to tiger jones.

He then split 2 fights with proabably a pre prime Tiger beofre stepping up against the best MW in the world in Fullmer.

I'm not even sure why I've written all this, I'm just trying to get my head around inconsistent he was.

Even allowing for everything before the big fullmer fight to be beofre his prim, there's still 6 losses over the next 4 years.

A range of styles defeated him as well.

I think I'd personally label him as someone who wasn't a great fighter, but someone who could fight great. On his best night he'd give a lot of MW's a good fight and in his best years he did exactly that. It just took him an aweful long time to get to his prime and once there, he still found himself wanting on a number of occassions.

Still, someone drawing against Fullmer and splitting a series with Tiger can't be that bad right?

anyways, back to the point of the post. He fought well against Tiger. good rugged display mainly behind the jab on the backfoot with good combinations on the inside.
I think he was quite James Toney-esque as far as inconsistency goes, but he compiled a fantastic list of wins, all the same. IMO definitely better than James Toney's list of wins, and most around these traps seem to regard him as great, even considering his inconsistency.

Let's recap Giardello's best wins; a great resume by any measure:

**** Tiger
Billy Graham
Gil Turner
Rubin Carter
Holly Mims
Ray Robinson
Del Flanagan
Rocky Rivero
Bobby Boyd
Harold Green
Bobby Jones
Tiger Jones
Walter Cartier
Henry Hank
Charley Cotton
Chico Vejar
Jesse Smith
Peter Mueller
Jimmy Beecham
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #1882
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
I think he was quite James Toney-esque as far as inconsistency goes, but he compiled a fantastic list of wins, all the same. IMO definitely better than James Toney's list of wins, and most around these traps seem to regard him as great, even considering his inconsistency.

Let's recap Giardello's best wins; a great resume by any measure:

**** Tiger
Billy Graham
Gil Turner
Rubin Carter
Holly Mims
Ray Robinson
Del Flanagan
Rocky Rivero
Bobby Boyd
Harold Green
Bobby Jones
Tiger Jones
Walter Cartier
Henry Hank
Charley Cotton
Chico Vejar
Jesse Smith
Peter Mueller
Jimmy Beecham
His win list is good but even taking into account only losses in his best 4 years there's still 6 losses to besmirch his resume.

On film he doesn't exactly blow your mind away with skill.

If your criteria of greatness is purely wins then I can see you calling him great.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #1883
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Benton 'whipped' him
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #1884
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
His win list is good but even taking into account only losses in his best 4 years there's still 6 losses to besmirch his resume.

On film he doesn't exactly blow your mind away with skill.

If your criteria of greatness is purely wins then I can see you calling him great.
I downgrade him for his lack of dominance for sure, but I'd still call him great. Less than great fighters don't accumulate such resumes.

As far as skill goes, I think he does pretty well in that department if you look at his best performances. He didn't have much int he way of speed or athleticism, and sure his defense wasn't great, but he was a master of fighting in a relaxed manner and conserving energy for the important moments in fights and was plenty accurate with his punches when he needed to be.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #1885
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Giardello is undoubtedly a great middleweight IMHO.

Re-watched Khaosai Galaxy Vs Israel Contreras last night. With the talk on here of Khaosai's true standing I felt it best to re-visit his, for me certainly, best win, against the horrific puncher who would go on to take Khaosai's brothers lead at 118, starching Vasquez inside a round and pummelong Espinosa, who had scored that '1st round TKO' over Khaokor

Anyway, Contreras had a monster of a right hand, and he works it in well here, dominating the early proceedings, ****ting Khaosai with an arching right cross and banging him with uppercuts to head and midsection. Khaosai struggles to get much going against, for once, a bigger guy who is also nimble.

Anyways, Khaosai steps it up when he's badly rocked and nearly stopped. Spinning out of a corner he catches the bloodthirsty Venezualan with a counter right hook that drops him and scrambles his brain.

They slug it out until Khaosai demolishes Contreras against the ropes in the next round. Considering his size (always jarring to see Khaosai outmatched in that department), power, general ability (competent) and what he achieved shortly afterwards, this would be the best win of Galaxy's career.

Would've been great to see Khaokor stick around and fight him a few years later at Bantam. Two different approaches there, and it's my linenof thinking that Contreras was a bit before his best a few lbs south of 118. He was a big super fly.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #1886
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Nice fight.

Khaosai sometimes fought with a bit of a disdain for opponents.

But he clearly respected Contreras' power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Anyways, Khaosai steps it up when he's badly rocked and nearly stopped.
Khaosai can't be stopped!

Although that uppercut on the ropes did hurt Khaosai pretty bad.

Quote:
They slug it out until Khaosai demolishes Contreras against the ropes in the next round.
By the way it seemed like the knockout blow was set up by powerful body punches/borderline low blows.
Lester1583 is online now  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #1887
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Yeah, they were low not sure whether they were ******* shots or not but Israel was badly dazed from the blow to the head that floored him.

Also Should've read dropped not stopped
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #1888
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah, they were low not sure whether they were ******* shots or not but Israel was badly dazed from the blow to the head that floored him.
Yeah, even after Contreras was counted out he still was in a bad condition for quite some time.

Quote:
Also Should've read dropped not stopped
Khaosai can't dropped!

Those were slips!
Lester1583 is online now  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #1889
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #1890
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

How come he never saught to fight roman?
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum