Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #1891
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Lower weight Unifications just are not the rage. Watanabe or Roman would've done.

If you want another reason, he would've lost, which is why he didn't.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #1892
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Marco Antonio Barrera UD12 Erik Morales

Some weird scorecards for the Morales-Barrera fights...

To me, Morales won this one pretty clearly. I just think that Barrera's strategy was all wrong, he's not going to take rounds from Morales going away and jabbing, the range is all wrong, it plays to Erik's greatest strength, and the energy he's conserving isn't going to be worth it in a 12 round fight. I think that Morales's wobbly legs come the 12th vindicate a strategy like that in a 15 round fight, and maybe helps to underline the difference between the two distances and the reasons having the longer distance might be important.

I really enjoyed Morales in the tenth, which is the highest level i've seen him fight at. That Morales really could trouble anyone in history, he controlled the action with three different styles and dominated a Barrera who was basically in the middle of a scorecard rush, having won three of the last four and about to win both the final rounds. He kept flat feet except when he had to and basically perfected his type of boxing for three minutes.

He looked disorganised again in the 11th though and got the shit knocked out of him in the 12th.

MORALES: 1,2,3,4,5,7,10
BARRERA: 6,8,9,11,12

Certainly not a robbery but a bit of a head-scratcher. I guess they're all even for me anyway, I just have it the other way around...looking forwards to the third.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #1893
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

I think I have mab winning all 3 of their encounters by close scores each time.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #1894
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Luf, anything you've done before 2012 is null and void, you know way more about boxing now than you did even a year ago IMO.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #1895
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Marco Antonio Barrera MD 12 Erik Morales

Good fight, but I think a little bit overated. Also, I think the trilogy gets a little over-rated. It's not in the class of Marquez-Vasquez for example. But this is a good fight. I think Morales at times showed a tactical naivety in the fight, but it may have been simply about his stamina and conditioning. There were snatches of rumours that he wasn't properly motivated and all that there. It's strange though, because you feel he knows what needs to be done after the first two.

Barrera's handspeed sure shows through as now legitimately superior in this one, he also looks a good deal smoother. Morales has to get into him to break that up and give himself a chance at the rounds. In the end I had him doing that, just enough to salvage a draw. But I have no qualms with the official verdict really, I think you could justify just about any close card here.

MORALES:2,4,7,8,11,12
BARRERA:1,3,5,6,9,10

Interesting that Morales pulled out the last two (eleventh is arguable) for the first time. Maybe his stepping off the gas in the mid rounds isn't a mistake. Only he'll know what he had left.

So, I have it 1-1-1 and don't agree with the judges once
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #1896
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Luf, anything you've done before 2012 is null and void, you know way more about boxing now than you did even a year ago IMO.
not sure whether that's a compliment or a putdown.

I intend on rewatching them and the second pac v jmm fight.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #1897
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

I've got all 3 fights scored even, though this could be due to not wanting to nit pick, stemming from my arrogant and partially unfounded belief that both fighters aren't worth the effort of intricate analysis.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #1898
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
I've got all 3 fights scored even, though this could be due to not wanting to nit pick, stemming from my arrogant and partially unfounded belief that both fighters aren't worth the effort of intricate analysis.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #1899
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Gomez v Zarate

It was comeptitive early on but I always felt Gomez was in control and dictating the action. He fought well behind the jab early on and was patient opening up, the one thing I didn't like in this performance was his defence. He was too willing to take a shot to land a shot, and whislt that does make for great viewing, it's not something I particularly like from a boxer.

Don't get me worng, it's not on the cuevas/khaosai level and I wouldn't even say it's on the carter sort of level.

It's just he could have taken a bit more care defensively when setting up his own attacks. It could just be that he got caught early on here and decided he could handle Zarate's punches, I'm not sure.

Even with the first kd in the 4th, he timed Zarate coming in and was willing to take the shot to land his own left hook, beautiful punch though.

The ending was obviously very messy, the ref had done a good job up unitl that 4th round but then he might as well have not been there.

Overall a good showing against a great fighter.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #1900
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

What Carter you talking about luf?
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #1901
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I've always felt Gomez was pretty clinical that night and I don't think Zarate got much of a look-in at all. First knockdown was very tidy, although he was nasty and reckless with Zarate on the ground afterwards. Regardless, not too damaged, but Zarate very much had the look of a beaten man. Bar one left hand from Martinez I'm not sure he'd ever been in this much trouble before. Seeing as he jumped into the fire with Zamora, it must've been a surprise to the great bantam that Gomez was hurting him with ease.

Watch Gomez against Davila, one of the greatest displays of ring generalship and punch picking I have ever seen. Judging of distance awe-inspiring.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #1902
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
you know which one
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #1903
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I've always felt Gomez was pretty clinical that night and I don't think Zarate got much of a look-in at all. First knockdown was very tidy, although he was nasty and reckless with Zarate on the ground afterwards. Regardless, not too damaged, but Zarate very much had the look of a beaten man. Bar one left hand from Martinez I'm not sure he'd ever been in this much trouble before. Seeing as he jumped into the fire with Zamora, it must've been a surprise to the great bantam that Gomez was hurting him with ease.

Watch Gomez against Davila, one of the greatest displays of ring generalship and punch picking I have ever seen. Judging of distance awe-inspiring.
His punch selection against Zarate was great, I used the word patience, you use the word clinical. He broke his heart and knocked him out.

What did you make of his defence? The quality of film I just watched wasn't the greatest so it could there was subtle movements I weren't able to pick up on.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #1904
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcUpTr3aPbY[/ame]
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #1905
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

He is just to black and slick for your puny brain to handle.
WhataRock is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum