Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #2266
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Ray Mancini UD12 Jose Luis Ramirez
Mancini won 1st rd , and rds 4,6,7 givable 4 him .
Meaning it was either a 120-119 Mancini or at most 120-116 Mancini
At some point/s in 1 of rds 4-7 Mancini seemed like capitalizing on low blows , maybe unintentional , maybe not low . Anyway he managed 2 press Ramirez without them as well .
Not a robbery but d only big thing about this fight is that Mancini managed 2 win against a greater fighter .
Ive often wondered if Mancini had compromising pictures of Ramirez with Jose Sulaiman and was threatening to go public with them. That's how one sided this fight was.
natonic is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #2267
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Fulgencio Obelmejias Vs Chong Pal Park I

OBELMEJIAS: 1(+1); 4; 5; 6; 7;
PARK: 2;3;

The Korean would later become the first super middleweight 'champion'; and the Venezuelan would take the title from him!

Here, both just over the middleweight limit and gunning for Hagler (a rematch for Obel), the ex-Olympian's jab keeps Park off balance early. Obelmejias is too long and good at using his reach, and he catches Park with a jarring right cross counter in the first that take his legs away from him.*****

Park takes the 2nd well, cutting inside the jab with head movement and either winging a left hook in or bringing an overhand right around out. Can't sustain a rhythm though.

Not sure whether he's ****ed or just playing possum but Chong looks sloppy as the 4th goes on. He tries to throw in twos and threes and Fulgencio picks him off, prodding his jab and keeping Chong at bay, then firing off a sweeping left hook that lands hard a few times. Same thing in the 5th: good start from Park, blows his load which slows his reflexes and lowers his workrate, with Obelmejias able to take the reins again. Park did enough in the early going in the 5th to take it IMO.

Obelmejias warmed up in the 7th. Typical of many South American boxer-bangers he's got a wide array of punches, the only truly straight one the jab, his hips well into every other blow that are textbook and awkward, his hooks turning over at the end of the punch to give them that choppy and unexpectedly hurtful effect. His movements are not exaggerated, and it's all down to his jab, anything closer and it's because Park has pushed forward and Fulgencio is reacting. The Korean briefly comes on very strong, drawing some more evasive movement and clinching from Obelmejias.*****

But he's blown his load again. Obelmejias catches him with clean wide hooks, and then throws up uppercuts to a man leaning in to shorten his range. Certainly a very good contender given his ability, Olympic grounding and punching power.
I've often wondered about this fight. Obel seemed like a really good fighter to me, he just ran in to absolute peak Hagler twice. And Park is fun to watch against Curto/Sutherland types but I expect comes up a little short technically. Good Summary.

Flea, will you be able to see any Olympic boxing or your boy Burroughs?
natonic is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #2268
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 460

Oscar De La Hoya vs. Pernell Whitaker

I have this fight scored as a draw, 6 rounds to 6. Both fighters lost a point, Whitaker due to an accidental headbutt in round 3, and Oscar due to a so-called knock-down in round 9. However, I can see why the judges gave the fight to Oscar. Even if he didn't land much it's hard to win a fight when you spend 8 or even more rounds running around, clowning, wrestling, tackling and jabbing.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #2269
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Gregorio Peralta vs George 4man #1

very impressive per4mance by Peralta .
Could have easily gotten a draw .
35 years old Peralta gave 21 years old 4man his 1st and maybe d last educational Xperience , d Ron Lyle fight and maybe d Jimmy Young fights , which i watched both as well could count 2 .
Rarely retreating , Peralta almost matched 4man punch4punch .
D majority of d fight was conducted at short ranges , with Peralta hitting 4man's head (was it rabbit punching ?) and 4man fouled a bit 2 by 1ce holding Peralta behind d head and hitting him . I believe it was still Peralta whom fouled more , but i do not consider it a dirty fight . It was a good fight 2 watch , and pity that i could not find their rematch .
Peralta did with young 4man what no1 else during that era could .
Also , d 6' Peralta seemed much closer in height 2d 6'3.5" 4man than d way it is on paper , and 4man's height was much less Xagger8ed than 2day .
I do not suggest that Peralta was more than 6' ..
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #2270
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Meldrick Taylor

I scored it 10-2 for Taylor, 117-110. Horrible decision by the referee to stop the fight with 5 seconds on the clock, when Taylor was winning this widely.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #2271
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Holmes-Spinks II

I have it close for Holmes. I could see a Spinks card - anytime it's only around, I don't think robbery is the right word. But yeah, i do have Holmes winning as most seem to.

HOLMES: 1,2,3,4,5,7,11,14
SPINKS: 6,8,9,10,12,13,15

So 8-7. I would have given the 14th to Spinks but for that punch so I have Holmes winning it by literally one blow. On the other hand I do think 6 can go either way. Close fight. The bullrush Holmes put on Spinks was mad, he shat himself a bit I think.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #2272
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Meldrick Taylor

I scored it 10-2 for Taylor, 117-110. Horrible decision by the referee to stop the fight with 5 seconds on the clock, when Taylor was winning this widely.
Are you a spastic?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #2273
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Are you a spastic?
What's that supposed to mean?
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #2274
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Toshiyuki Igarashi SD12 Sonny Boy Jaro

Great wee scrap. Jaro just did what he does, burrowing forwards in his crouch flailing the left hook over the top which proved inaffective against his taller opponent, and digging in a hard right hand to the body and head. Sometimes he clubbed it round the side or back of Igarashi's head, sometimes he dug it to the body. When he hit to the body the punch looked very good and he got a couple of very decent beltline cominations off. Still, the right hand didn't look anything like as good as it did against Wonjongkam where he looked almost Darchinyan-like at times.

Igashari was a strange choice of opponent. Inexperienced but a southpaw with tidy footwork, he was never going to be Jarro's cup of tea. He got off at an absolute clatter, too, winning 4 of the first 5 on my card, pinning Jaro with his right jab and snapping of shoe-shine clusters of punches when Jaro looked troubled. Never really hurt, Jaro was far to content to allow Igashari jab him flush. Not bothered by the punch he didn't tend to do that much about it landing, but a couple of these rounds were decided on Igashiri's jab combos. His old-town toughness kind of worked against him here.

But he did force Igashari into a fade, and for the most part the second half of the fight was conducted on Jaro's terms, at close and mid-range. Igashari proved he had a streak of old-town toughness dominaing the 7th and 10th with sharp punching in spite of the pressure. An insanely close 12th went to Igashari - had it gone to Jaro I would have had it a draw, as would the judges - and I personally gave him the benefit of the doubt as Jaro's last-minute surge was in part propelled by a nasty head-butt, very obviously seen by the referee who had repeatedly warned Sonny Boy for use of the head (Accidental or not). He probably should have had a point nabbed.

A draw might have been the fairest result, but if someone had to win the right man got the nod. It's a shame though. Most people missed it but this was the best Rocky story of the past decade.

Hopefully Jaro rides again.

JARO: 1,6,8,9,11
IGASHARI: 2,3,4,5,7,10,12

7-5 IGASHARI.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #2275
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

Rewatched Hagler-Duran last night and I was caught off guard by how underrated it is as a "fight". Yes it was technical but that just means that lots of skill was used amongst them and it was beautiful if you know how to watch boxing and what to look for. Duran turned him to avoid being on the ropes and would turn him, pivot, then attack to make Hagler reset himself.

Hagler would jab frequently til after the 10th where he walked him down but Duran was very tricky and both guys show solid fundamental defense. Thought Duran won 3 to maybe 5 rds and I was surprised that he is probably the only fighter to make him swell up(Don't count the Vito fight as he was headbutting Hagler to death).

Great fight from a skillful perspective and Duran was durable as hell that night. Don't fault Hagler for his performance it was more of Duran's tricky approach than anything and both guys looked great imho.

Next fight Ima rewatch is between Charles-Johnson, Pea-Rivera I & II, and Pea-Mcgirt II in that order most likely. May post all of my feedbacks too.
techks is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #2276
bazza12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Just watched Ali-Terrell.

Not the most exciting of clashes, Terrell blocked, Ali slipped. Terrell lumbered forward, Ali danced and picked his shots without real spite a lot of the time, plenty of clinching, arm shots to the body from Terrell. Ali won at a canter really. First time I've seen Terrell in action and wasn't particularly impressed.
bazza12 is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #2277
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
I've often wondered about this fight. Obel seemed like a really good fighter to me, he just ran in to absolute peak Hagler twice. And Park is fun to watch against Curto/Sutherland types but I expect comes up a little short technically. Good Summary.

Flea, will you be able to see any Olympic boxing or your boy Burroughs?
Been watching it all pal. Have recorded freestyle just boarding plane to Amsterdam now!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #2278
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Lennox Lewis tko7 Gary Mason

Haven't watched this in aaaaaaaaaaaages. I forgot how very decent Mason was. In this fight he shows great heart, he's swinging and aggressive even with his eye all ****ed up and starting to ship those flush punches from Lewis, showed some chin there too. But he also showed some really nice skills to slip some jabs (though he ate his fair share) and parry and block some shots too. Good performance, and a fun fight.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #2279
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Lennox Lewis tko7 Gary Mason

Haven't watched this in aaaaaaaaaaaages. I forgot how very decent Mason was. In this fight he shows great heart, he's swinging and aggressive even with his eye all ****ed up and starting to ship those flush punches from Lewis, showed some chin there too. But he also showed some really nice skills to slip some jabs (though he ate his fair share) and parry and block some shots too. Good performance, and a fun fight.

Man, I can remember thinking why is Lennox taking on this guy? What a risky fight that he did not have to take. This is the kind of bout we saw Oleg getting thrown into. But not the pedigreed up and comers.

That was some gap of experience Lewis was giving up to a guy that was a puncher like that. And lets face it, the public sure did side with Mason a lot more than Lennox. After the fight, it sure looked like a long rebuilding job was going to be necessary for Mason. Once he slowed down and got the clumsies like those muscular heavies get, he took a shellacking. Those guys just never seem to shake the effects of those punches absorbed when they are in that shape and hang tough--a Morrison set of whiskers would almost be the better choice.

I thought Mason had a good set of tools for a puncher. I really wanted to see him in there with Bruno and am still surprised it didn't happen. That's a tough fight for both also. But Mason is a guy that really has not stood the test of time very well, but I'm sure other managers of heavyweights certainly knew who he was and left him off the radar screen until they could see more faults.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #2280
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Shane Mosley SD12 Oscar De La Hoya

Interesting fight.

Early, I thought Oscar looked on the verge of becoming the bully. His jab betrayed him again, and although Mosley didn't out-jab him in the usual sense he certainly landed his share of jabs. Oscar's left hook was also conspicuous by it's absence. Mosley seemed to neutralise it with no more than a decent jab at decent (hit or miss), a high right hand whenever Oscar looked sassy and some clinching tactics behind his own right hand. He would fall in behind his punch and close the distance, making it untidy and often landing it around the back of the head, but front-foot Oscar didn't seem able to make the neccessary room for the counter, in fact he looked quite awkward following the shifting Mosley around the ring.

I should have remember this fight when I predicted that Margarito would be stronger than Shane. Despite his looking a weight class bigger, Oscar didn't really dominate these hurried clinches in the way the difference in size suggested he would. Still, combined wtih Mosley's backfoot tactics, they combined to present the impression of an out-matched fighter - I gave Mosley only 2 of the first 6.

It was a joy to watch Mosley box and punch his way back into the fight though. I got a sense that he was boxing with a certain amount of entitlement by the 8th and i'm not sure he realised the trouble he was in until the 10th, by which point Mosley was firmly in his grove. Having ironed out the falling-in tactic he employed earlier he had gone mobile, trusting his legs to get him to the finish line. A higher workrate and generally more accurate punches forced Oscar to shoe-shine with him, and this just didn't suit De La Hoya's "perched" balancing act. Indeed he was far to square for spells inviting Mosley to hit him with the one-two, clubbing right hand and even lead uppercut he occasionally employed to go with some really sharp beltline stuff. Good performance from Mosley.

OSCAR: 2,3,5,6
MOSLEY: 1,4,7,8,9,10,11,12

8-4 MOSLEY
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum