Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #226
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
Don't remember ever seeing this but I do remember listening to it on the radio.
Pat Cowdell vs Salvador Sanchez.
Just going into the 10th of an absorbing fight and I've got Cowdell 1 round up at 4-3-2. Gonna watch the rest tomorrow because it's taking ages to load on youtube. Full report tomorrow.
Even rounds ****inhell, sort it out Al haha
teeto is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2010, 04:10 AM   #227
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Even rounds ****inhell, sort it out Al haha
OK sorry about the even rounds but I've called them now. What a fight! Thoroughly enjoyed this one I even felt myself urging Pat on in the closing rounds when he was taking the fight to Sanchez with success. Sanchez looked the stronger man throughout but couldn't solve Pat's style specially the left jab.
Hats off to both fighters here, Cowdell for his brave attempt and Sanchez for his poise and versatility. He solved the problem in the end but nobody took him closer in a championship fight.
My scorecard read 144-142 Sanchez and I had them level going into the last in which Cowdell was still taking the fight to the champ.
I gave Sanchez rounds 1,2,9,10,11,12 and 15
Cowdel rounds 3,4,5,7,13 and 14
rounds 6 and 8 even. I'll have another look at them.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXTotOBL0sU&NR=1[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0WkEz4ORg&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHspfQ1q7s8&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FogrXA6Uhg&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_0OwnIEYIE&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVgantmh564&feature=related[/ame]

Watch it!
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2010, 05:41 AM   #228
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Thanks i'm going to watch this.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #229
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Thanks i'm going to watch this.

I want to see your scorecard with no even rounds.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:51 AM   #230
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I want to see your scorecard with no even rounds.
Hahahaha, okay later on today defo. I've just round one and i know it's an old saying ut whenever i watch Sanchez i just end up saying what if?
teeto is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #231
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Just watched it.

Absoloute classic fight.

Yes, Cowdell did an amazing job feinting so I wont go in to that, but for me it highlighted the importance of a strategy.

Cowdell's strategy was based around keeping Sanchez off balance with the feints and jabs, and land the counter right hand when he could. He did this to a tee, despite being the lesser fighter.

Sanchez did not have a strategy and couldnt work out Cowdell and counter his gameplan, there was points when Sanchez looked frustrated, lost and out of ideas. The only reason he won was because in the late rounds he gritted his teeth said '**** it' and let his hands go.

Cowdell was gritty as **** in the last 5 though. The first 10 were an absorbing chess match which was brilliant to watch Cowdell implement a strategy and Sanchez look to counter it. The last 5 was a borderline war. Sanchez let his hands go but Cowdell upped his workrate and let his hands go more, it was fantastic. And how he got up from that knockdown at the end I will never know.

Sanchez: 1,6,7,9,11,12,14,15
Cowdell:2,3,4,5,8,10,13 KD'd 15
Total: 143-141 Sanchez (8-7)
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #232
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Just watched it.

Absoloute classic fight.

Yes, Cowdell did an amazing job feinting so I wont go in to that, but for me it highlighted the importance of a strategy.

Cowdell's strategy was based around keeping Sanchez off balance with the feints and jabs, and land the counter right hand when he could. He did this to a tee, despite being the lesser fighter.

Sanchez did not have a strategy and couldnt work out Cowdell and counter his gameplan, there was points when Sanchez looked frustrated, lost and out of ideas. The only reason he won was because in the late rounds he gritted his teeth said '**** it' and let his hands go.

Cowdell was gritty as **** in the last 5 though. The first 10 were an absorbing chess match which was brilliant to watch Cowdell implement a strategy and Sanchez look to counter it. The last 5 was a borderline war. Sanchez let his hands go but Cowdell upped his workrate and let his hands go more, it was fantastic. And how he got up from that knockdown at the end I will never know.

Sanchez: 1,6,7,9,11,12,14,15
Cowdell:2,3,4,5,8,10,13 KD'd 15
Total: 143-141 Sanchez (8-7)
Yes, great wasn't it! I noticed our scorecards slightly differed but we came up with 2 points between them. Assuming you made the 15th a 10-8 we both would of scored it to Cowdell if he won the last round and he wasn't having a bad round until the knockdown. A great but sadly forgotten effort by Cowdell against a great on foreign soil.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #233
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just watched the Rose-Castillo fight with no distractions. Didn't bother scoring this as the 1st, 2nd and 8th round are missing. A cracking fight, Rose boxed beautifully off the back foot countering Castillo the constant aggressor through the early and middle rounds. Castillo came on strong in the 10th with the knockdown and carried it on through the 11th and 12th. I thought Rose got it back during the 13th and 14th and the 15th was a classic with both men centre ring throwing bombs in a do or die effort. I'd love to see those missing rounds. I know you've seen this Greg, what's your view?
Got to say that I liked the commentator. It was if he was doing a radio commentary and he didn't miss much without saying too much. Anyone know who it was?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #234
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yes, great wasn't it! I noticed our scorecards slightly differed but we came up with 2 points between them. Assuming you made the 15th a 10-8 we both would of scored it to Cowdell if he won the last round and he wasn't having a bad round until the knockdown. A great but sadly forgotten effort by Cowdell against a great on foreign soil.
Yeh slightly different, just some rounds I preferred Cowdells consistency over Sanchez's eye catching but scant flurries. But could easily score the other way.

Quote:
Just watched the Rose-Castillo fight with no distractions. Didn't bother scoring this as the 1st, 2nd and 8th round are missing. A cracking fight, Rose boxed beautifully off the back foot countering Castillo the constant aggressor through the early and middle rounds. Castillo came on strong in the 10th with the knockdown and carried it on through the 11th and 12th. I thought Rose got it back during the 13th and 14th and the 15th was a classic with both men centre ring throwing bombs in a do or die effort. I'd love to see those missing rounds. I know you've seen this Greg, what's your view?
Got to say that I liked the commentator. It was if he was doing a radio commentary and he didn't miss much without saying too much. Anyone know who it was?
Its been a while, if I remember right, Rose looked qaulity early and really got rounds in the bank. As you say Castillo was always coming forward but Rose was countering superbly, then as he invariably slows down as he does in all fights. Castillo did come on then, but you know when you get that feeling that Rose is still the better fighter although he might not be winning the rounds?

Rose does brilliantly to pull it back in the last 2-3 rounds to win the fight, and I thought Rose won close but clear, and the riots were just over zealous fans IMO

Just occured to me, imagine Rose over 12 rounds, imagine how hard he would be too beat?

My favrouite Rose fight aside from the Rudkin fight is against Takaru Sakurai. It is such an interesting fight with both men setting traps and counters for the other.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #235
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Yeh slightly different, just some rounds I preferred Cowdells consistency over Sanchez's eye catching but scant flurries. But could easily score the other way.

Its been a while, if I remember right, Rose looked qaulity early and really got rounds in the bank. As you say Castillo was always coming forward but Rose was countering superbly, then as he invariably slows down as he does in all fights. Castillo did come on then, but you know when you get that feeling that Rose is still the better fighter although he might not be winning the rounds?

Rose does brilliantly to pull it back in the last 2-3 rounds to win the fight, and I thought Rose won close but clear, and the riots were just over zealous fans IMO

Just occured to me, imagine Rose over 12 rounds, imagine how hard he would be too beat?

My favrouite Rose fight aside from the Rudkin fight is against Takaru Sakurai. It is such an interesting fight with both men setting traps and counters for the other.
I'll watch the Sakauri fight tonight.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #236
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
I'll watch the Sakauri fight tonight.
It is quality, I think you would like it.

Would have been interesting to see your Dad against Sakurai, your Dad was a class boxer but could also gut it out and pressure a guy. I think he would have to pressure Sakurai and force him into mistakes rather than play a waiting game liek Rose.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #237
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Pac 120-109 that was being nice to Clottey but really id say 120-108 PAC.
SOto 115-110 over Diaz. Diaz did good though and had a shot at getting the win until the last 2 rounds.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #238
jaffay
New Orleans Hornets
ESB Addict

vCash: 215

Sonny Liston - Cleveland Williams I

What a fighter Liston was. And Cleveland Williams was some special puncher. Williams didn't broke Liston with his first round attacks. Liston showed very good ring generalship in that round. His nose was busted but he didn't lost his focus . In 2nd Liston's jab took control and Big Cat started to feel that heavy punches. In 3rd Liston clubbered Cleveland when he felt that he was hurt.

What's interesting, the commentator of the fight says two times that Williams has height and REACH advantage. According to boxrec Liston's reach was 213 cm and Williams 203 cm...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWbpM99wD2M[/ame]
jaffay is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #239
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG5N4CJFzmI[/ame]
lora is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #240
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Salvador Sanchez vs Pat Cowdell:

Sanchez, rounds 1,2,3,5,8,9,11,12,15 (with the knockdown)
Cowdell, rounds 4,6,7,10,13,14

That was a very very good fight. Cowdell very game, but not just that, he boxed with the champ and though he was not as good a fighter it would be disrepsectful to just say he showed heart, he boxed with Salvador Sanchez and kept his style going to the very last bell.
teeto is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum