boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #2446
rorschach51
Bam Bam Warrior!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

135. JAMES TONEY 93 | 97 MICHAEL NUNN (TKO 11 TONEY)

JT vs MN
9-10
9-10
9-10
9-10
9-10
9-10
9-10
10-9
10-9
10-9

Great fight, and very easy to score, gutsy effort by Toney to comeback like he did those last 3 rounds, and knowing he needed the KO to win does exactly that with a punch perfect left hook that was the beginning of the end for Michael Nunn!
rorschach51 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #2447
rorschach51
Bam Bam Warrior!
ESB Addict

136. JAMES TONEY 115 | 112 REGGIE JOHNSON

JT vs RJ
9-10
8-10
9-10
10-9
10-9
10-9
10-9
10-9
10-9
9-10
10-9
10-9

No idea once again how that fight could have been seen as a win for Johnson by one of the judges! I gave Johnson the first and third rounds as sort of benefit of the doubt rounds given that Toney started late more often then not in those times. They were still 2 very close rounds that could have easily went James' way. The second was a no brainer for Johnson due to the KD (the first KD in James Toney's career), and that he actually had Toney hurt for a period following the kd. Beyond that James Toney controlled the fight from bell to bell, although I did give Reggie the tenth, as Toney did seem to take that round off.

All in all though, Johnson imo won 2 out of the 12 rounds for certain (2 & 10) with 1 & 3 being close, and could have certainly been scored even. Regardless, again imo, Toney clearly won 8 rounds and should not have been subjected to a SD. Very *****y move on his part to take on such a good challenger only 6 weeks after dethroning Nunn! That's the mark of a true fighting champion, who was still green in his first title defense at only 22 years old!!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #2448
rorschach51
Bam Bam Warrior!
ESB Addict

137. JAMES TONEY 29 | 27 FRANCESCO DELL'AQUILA (TKO 4 TONEY)

JT vs FDA
10-8
10-9
9-10
Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #2449
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1032

duran v hagler

Really underrated this is WOW.SUPERFIGHT.Anybody have duran winning?I did by a round 144-143 i might have made a mistake though???
jdempsey85 is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #2450
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3500

Jorge Lujan vs Alfonso Zamora

Zamora really looked 4midable and punched impressively and even landed in about d 1st rd , but in d end when he ran out of gas he simply sat on d floor and decided that it would have been foolish 2 take needless punches .

If fighters were as smart as he , longer careers and a better history would have been .

Lujan made him miss almost everything and sometimes attacked in re2rn .

Jorge Lujan vs Jeff Chandler

Sometimes head movement might b confused with trying 2 butt .

Lujan made a competitive fight against d taller , younger and considerably fresher "champion" . D thing is that i douby that Julian Solis ever beat Lujan .

Have not seen Lujan in n uncompetitive fight yet .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #2451
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Naseem Hamed vs Wayne McCullough .

If i tried 2 score it then it would have been close , but watching d fight as a whole , Hamed looked much more relaxed and confident , after all he was fighting a 4mer 118 @ 126 and 4 years older than he was .

Hamed punched at will and avoided most of what came back in his usual athletic way which made him seem awkward 2 some , but his opponent awkward 2 more .

Even Hamed's punches which landed on d top of d head or were blocked (partially of course) did some damage .
Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #2452
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Naseem Hamed vs Wayne McCullough .

If i tried 2 score it then it would have been close , but watching d fight as a whole , Hamed looked much more relaxed and confident , after all he was fighting a 4mer 118 @ 126 and 4 years older than he was .

Hamed punched at will and avoided most of what came back in his usual athletic way which made him seem awkward 2 some , but his opponent awkward 2 more .

Even Hamed's punches which landed on d top of d head or were blocked (partially of course) did some damage .
Watched this a few days ago, didn't score it, didn't need to I had Wayne winning no more than 4 rounds although he showed alot of heart and grit. In the earlier rounds Hamed landed a monstrous shot (a right I think) that sends Wayne about 4 feet away, still didn't look in the slightest hurt or wobbly. McCullough's chin is seriously LaMotta-esque. It was weird in the interview afterwards Wayne basically said something along the lines of Hamed didn't hit that hard but he was just really physically strong, maybe Hamed's power was like Foreman's just very heavy as opposed to hard.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #2453
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Orzubek Nazarov - Jean-Baptist Mendy.

Lightweight Hagler-Leonard.

Mendy is pretty basic, jab-dependant, fighting off the backfoot, mediocre fighter.

Orzubek is severely declined - no legs at all, much less accurate with his punches, more straghtforward in his approach and only his punching power is still fearsome.

Orzubek showed enormous heart, considering the tragic circumstances of this fight.

He pressed the action throughout the entire fight and really punished Mendy in the final round (possibly a 10-8 round?).

But it wasn't enough to win the fight.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #2454
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Ruben Olivares TKO9 Bobby Chacon (Olivares vs Chacon #1) & Ruben Olivares TKO2 Bobby Chacon (Olivares vs Chacon #2) .

Olivares outfought Chacon in both of them and gradually broke him down .
Olivares was better than Chacon p4p & h2h .

It is 1 thing 2b able 2 remain upright under fire but another thing 2 remain able 2 punch back while under fire .

4 a clean aggressive puncher Olivares did not impress me .
I know , i should have watched him KOing a drained , starved , 2 big even 4 126 and not really good even at his best Lionel Rose , or winning a wrong decision against Chucho Castillo (I watched him being floored by Castillo in a recently released excerpt from 1 of those fights) , or losing due 2 cuts 2 Castillo or being stopped by Herera or losing a decision 2 Herera .

Yes , Olivares was good and dangerous but also vulnerable .

With this style of his i wonder how he is 2day , especially in light of Chacon's bad condition .

Olivares did not get badly hurt against Chacon in (either of) these 2 fights , but i know that his career , win or lose , was much more than these 2 fights .

These fights were more a display of Olivares' better courage and also maybe better reflexes or at least a more confident reliance on them than n example of a recommended way 2 fight , especially since Olivares was d older and smaller man in these 2 fights .
Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #2455
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Watched this a few days ago, didn't score it, didn't need to I had Wayne winning no more than 4 rounds although he showed alot of heart and grit. In the earlier rounds Hamed landed a monstrous shot (a right I think) that sends Wayne about 4 feet away, still didn't look in the slightest hurt or wobbly. McCullough's chin is seriously LaMotta-esque. It was weird in the interview afterwards Wayne basically said something along the lines of Hamed didn't hit that hard but he was just really physically strong, maybe Hamed's power was like Foreman's just very heavy as opposed to hard.
Granted that Hamed's punches were heavier than McCullough's , but he could not enjoy 4man's size advantage over opponents as he resided in a limited w8 division .

Hamed's power stemmed from his way of leveraging his punches but probably he was a big w8 cutter as well which means that his punches were indeed heavier than most of his opponents' .

McCullough , Vazquez , Bungu , McKinney were all smaller men than he , and also , he was younger than them all .

Hamed was even a month younger than Barrera and bigger than him since Barrera was a 4mer 122 lbs titlist .

So yes , Hamed's punches were heavier than his opponents' , he did enjoy some Jorj 4man advantages 2n extent
Old 09-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #2456
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Granted that Hamed's punches were heavier than McCullough's , but he could not enjoy 4man's size advantage over opponents as he resided in a limited w8 division .

Hamed's power stemmed from his way of leveraging his punches but probably he was a big w8 cutter as well which means that his punches were indeed heavier than most of his opponents' .

McCullough , Vazquez , Bungu , McKinney were all smaller men than he , and also , he was younger than them all .

Hamed was even a month younger than Barrera and bigger than him since Barrera was a 4mer 122 lbs titlist .

So yes , Hamed's punches were heavier than his opponents' , he did enjoy some Jorj 4man advantages 2n extent
I wouldn't say Hamed was a big feather. He was a former European bantamweight champ. He hadn't even boxed at feather when he first won the WBO title against the "big" feather, Steve Robinson.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #2457
rorschach51
Bam Bam Warrior!
ESB Addict

138. HECTOR CAMACHO 38 | 38 RAFAEL SOLIS (TKO 5 CAMACHO)

HMC vs RS
10-9
9-10
10-9
9-10
Old 09-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #2458
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
I wouldn't say Hamed was a big feather. He was a former European bantamweight champ. He hadn't even boxed at feather when he first won the WBO title against the "big" feather, Steve Robinson.
Maybe it is like claiming that Donaire was not a big bantam when he moved up 2 bantam and won d title there ?
Except that Hamed will probably never have Donaire's longevity .

@ 21 , Hamed was still growing so he might have been a massive feather by d time he fought d men that i mentioned .
Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #2459
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Maybe it is like claiming that Donaire was not a big bantam when he moved up 2 bantam and won d title there ?
Except that Hamed will probably never have Donaire's longevity .

@ 21 , Hamed was still growing so he might have been a massive feather by d time he fought d men that i mentioned .
He had big legs.

He started at flyweight.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #2460
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He might of but at the end of the day he fought them all at 126. McCullough was never truly a feather I'll give you that but Barrera didn't look small compared to him. I don't remember him fighting McKinney. If Hamed was growing why couldn't the others have grown into feathers as well.
One thing I will say about Hamed is that he carried his power up with him.
AlFrancis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum