Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #241
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

I watched Duran/Leonard 3 the whole ppv card with Hagler as commentator with Gil Clancy and Tim Ryan. Good card. interesting. A little too much Ray Leonard and his agenda, but Ray easily outpointed Duran.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #242
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Dwight Muhammed Qawi vs James Scott

Good fight but it shows Qawi at his best, swarming in on Scott and landing his big shots whilst making Scott miss.

Jimmy Bivins vs Charley Doc Williams

Interesting fight. Bivins looked to press the fight and bull Williams to the corners and ropes and he did it well. Williams looked to jab and move but wasnt having much sucess as he just threw light jabs. When Bivins started to pin him down more, Williams came back with very hard shots and really did good when he let the hard shots go. But he didnt do it enough and Bivins landed the harder blows throughout. In the later rounds Williams tired and Bivins took over completly.

I had it 8-2 Bivins

Last edited by GPater11093; 04-03-2010 at 10:54 AM.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #243
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Some scorecards from fights I've watched over the last couple of weeks:

Johnny Bratton vs. Charley Fusari: 142-142 Draw
Fusari: 1,2,7,8,11,12,13 and 14.
Bratton: 3,4,5,6,9,10( 10-8 ) and 15.


Great fight!


Ray Robinson vs. Bobby Dykes: 96-95 Robinson
Dykes: 5,6 and 7.
Robinson: 1,2,3 and 9.
Rounds 4,8 and 10 ( 9-9 ) even.


Dykes was a game and very sneaky, rangy boxer.Ray had a bit too much ability for him though.


Kid Gavilan vs. Ralph Tiger Jones: 99-93 Gavilan
Jones: 1.
Gavilan:2,4,6,7,8,9 and 10.
Rounds 3 and 5 even.


Gavilan is class, class, class.



Kenny Lane vs. Paddy DeMarco: 98-94 Lane
Demarco: 5 and 6.
Lane: 1,2,3,4,7 and 8.
Round: 9 and 10 even.

Hold and grab fest.

Alfonso Lopez vs. Shoji Oguma: 147-139 Lopez
Oguma: 3,5 and 13.
Lopez: 1,2( 10-8 ), 4,7,8,9,10,11,12 and 14.
Rounds 6 and 15 even.


The Fonz was too slick for Oguma, who desperately wanted to get into a brawl, but couldn't find Lopez enough to make use of his Spartan heart.



Mike McCallum vs. Sumbu Kalambay II: 117-114 McCallum
Kalambay: 5,7 and 8.
McCallum: 2,3,4,6,11 and 12.
Rounds 1,9 and 10 even.


Old bastards showing the young how it's done.


Joey Archer vs. Victor Zalazar: 97-95 Archer
Zalazar: 3,8 and 9.
Archer: 1,2,4,7 and 10.
Rounds 5 and 6 even.


Perfect example of how to outbox a taller opponent.


Jose Stable vs. Charley Scott: 96-96 Draw
Scott: 1,8,9 and 10.
Stable: 2,3,5 and 6.
Rounds 4 and 7 even.


Scott was a tough, tough fighter. His record really undersells his ability. A great action fight.



Charley Scott vs. Ralph Dupas IV: 97-96 Scott
Dupas: 3,7 and 8.
Scott: 1,2,6 and 10.
Rounds 4,5 and 9 even.


Dupas was cagey, but Scott was just hungry for it, and edged it imo.


Roger Mayweather vs. Harold Brazier: 116-115 Mayweather
Brazier: 4,5,9 and 11.
Mayweather: 1,2,37 and 8.
Rounds 6,10 and 12 even.


Roger would dominate for most of the round whilst Brazier woudl do a Clottey, but Harold would always hurt Mayweather in the last 30 seconds of the rounds. This one's up for interpretation. Could have gone either way.



Greg Haugen vs. Vinny Pazienza I: 145-143 Haugen
Pazienza: 3,5,8,10 and 12.
Haugen: 1,4,6,9,13,14 and 15
Rounds 2,7 and 11 even.


Another one that could have gone either way. Haugen was so much the better boxer, but Paz's activity kept him in it. Haugen should have opened up more, as he did in the second fight, which he dominated.



Johnny Saxton vs. Del Flanagan: 97-96 Saxton
Flanagan: 1,7 and 9.
Saxton: 2,4,5 and 6.
Rounds 3,8 and 10 even.


Never thought I'd see the day Saxton didn't get an iffy decision go his way!


Nicolino Locche vs. Carlos Hernandez: 125-121 Locche (rounds 5 & 6 missing)
Hernandez: 2( 10-8 ),4, 11 and 15.
Locche: 3,7,8,9,10,12,13 and 14( 10-8 ).
Round 1 even.


So glad I got to see this! Both to see a prime Locche and to see a prime Carlos Hernandez too, who really was a very good fighter. Carlos made it a scrap and put some really good pressure on at times, but Locche put on a defensive masterclass in the second half and took the fight clearly. Had an early scare with a knockdown in the second though.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #244
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The dirty dirty.
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

I thought Stable got clearly the better of Scott, though it was a hell of an action fight. The in-fighting from both men was class, Stable in particular I thought. He put on a masterclass in clean inside work.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #245
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
I thought Stable got clearly the better of Scott, though it was a hell of an action fight. The in-fighting from both men was class, Stable in particular I thought. He put on a masterclass in clean inside work.
I'm happy with a Stable win. I do think he has a good argument for it. I watched it with a slight leaning towards Scott, so that may account for the closeness of my card, but I do think he pretty much gave as good as he got.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #246
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,556
vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnkwCM5_TjY[/ame]




Put this up quickly as it's the only 3 rounds available.Seems to have turned out ok.

I always got the feelign with Kalule that a lot of his fights would have been over much quicker had he been been a mediocre puncher.The guy truly didn't have any more power than Locche, despite a decent record of TKO's at a glance.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #247
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Charley Scott vs. Ralph Dupas IV: 97-96 Scott
Dupas: 3,7 and 8.
Scott: 1,2,6 and 10.
Rounds 4,5 and 9 even.


Dupas was cagey, but Scott was just hungry for it, and edged it imo.
SS just reviewed this fight, just now.

Reall good fight, and very hard to score. I felt tempted to score it 100-100.

It is a nice tactical fight as Dupas looks to take away Scott's leverage and make it an inside fight. He is sucessfull in doing so but Scott battles back with good body work and hard left hooks. Dupas was controlling the distance and the type of fight but Scott was landing the harder and cleaner punches early IMO, as the bout wore on Dupas upped his workrate and improved his defence due to his clever side steps.

There is a really nice sequence at the start at round 2 that shows how skilled Scott was. He keeps Dupas at range with a jab and slips the Dupas jab and lands a double left hook to head and body. Real quality, and stuff of this calibre is showcased throughout.

Thanks for reminding me of this fight, it really is good.

My scorecard

Dupas: 3,5,6,8,9,10
Scott: 1,2,4,7
Total: 96-94 Dupas (6-4)

Again we disagree slightly, although this is a type of fight impossible to score. I thought the 7th round was the closest of the fight and I very nearly scored it even (and I hardly ever score even rounds) until Scott had a good sequence at the end of the round. I thought Dupas adapted late on and took the last few rounds, as to me he was controlling the bout and 'one step ahead' of Scott.

Just an ovverall look of the fight

Aggresion: Dupas was forcing the fight by coming forward, but Scott early was leading more and throwing more, but Dupas picked up his pace late. EVEN

Defence: DUPAS. He used good head movement and blocks, and after the 5th round was using clever little shifts in direction that was making Scott miss. Scott did not have much of a defence.

Ring Generalship: DUPAS clearly. He was making Scott fight his fight by being on the inside and taking away the leverage needed for his punches. He was also the one looking to try new things in the bout.

Clean, Effective Punching: SCOTT. He was landing the better punches especially early as he dug hard to the body. Dupas shots were more flurrying shots although he did occasionally set his feet and swing. Scott was landing the harder shots.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #248
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,556
vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Marcel vs Arguello

Didn't score this as i was a bit drunk and couldn't be bothered, but ended up with the same feeling i had when i last watched it a few years ago.Marcel got off to a superb start scoring with some beautiful long right-hands, but wore down very quickly once arguello started landing circa 5th.From there on it was mostly gruelling stuff with Arguello outworking him and winning a lot of the exchanges at close-mid range.Very close overall.

Great fight.Arguello would be just as good at this weight as 130 because of his physical advantages imo.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #249
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Marcel vs Arguello

Didn't score this as i was a bit drunk and couldn't be bothered, but ended up with the same feeling i had when i last watched it a few years ago.Marcel got off to a superb start scoring with some beautiful long right-hands, but wore down very quickly once arguello started landing circa 5th.From there on it was mostly gruelling stuff with Arguello outworking him and winning a lot of the exchanges at close-mid range.Very close overall.

Great fight.Arguello would be just as good at this weight as 130 because of his physical advantages imo.
How good was Arguello in taht fight?

Did you think he was at his best Featherweight form?
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #250
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,630
vCash: 166
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Marcel vs Arguello

Didn't score this as i was a bit drunk and couldn't be bothered, but ended up with the same feeling i had when i last watched it a few years ago.Marcel got off to a superb start scoring with some beautiful long right-hands, but wore down very quickly once arguello started landing circa 5th.From there on it was mostly gruelling stuff with Arguello outworking him and winning a lot of the exchanges at close-mid range.Very close overall.

Great fight.Arguello would be just as good at this weight as 130 because of his physical advantages imo.
I agree with a lot of that...Arguello was close to getting him out of there.

But I thought Marcel had an excellent second wind, opening up on Alexis in the last few rounds with a fluid two handed attack, Alexis looked a bit ragged himself down the stretch IMO.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #251
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
SS just reviewed this fight, just now.

Reall good fight, and very hard to score. I felt tempted to score it 100-100.

It is a nice tactical fight as Dupas looks to take away Scott's leverage and make it an inside fight. He is sucessfull in doing so but Scott battles back with good body work and hard left hooks. Dupas was controlling the distance and the type of fight but Scott was landing the harder and cleaner punches early IMO, as the bout wore on Dupas upped his workrate and improved his defence due to his clever side steps.

There is a really nice sequence at the start at round 2 that shows how skilled Scott was. He keeps Dupas at range with a jab and slips the Dupas jab and lands a double left hook to head and body. Real quality, and stuff of this calibre is showcased throughout.

Thanks for reminding me of this fight, it really is good.

My scorecard

Dupas: 3,5,6,8,9,10
Scott: 1,2,4,7
Total: 96-94 Dupas (6-4)

Again we disagree slightly, although this is a type of fight impossible to score. I thought the 7th round was the closest of the fight and I very nearly scored it even (and I hardly ever score even rounds) until Scott had a good sequence at the end of the round. I thought Dupas adapted late on and took the last few rounds, as to me he was controlling the bout and 'one step ahead' of Scott.

Just an ovverall look of the fight

Aggresion: Dupas was forcing the fight by coming forward, but Scott early was leading more and throwing more, but Dupas picked up his pace late. EVEN

Defence: DUPAS. He used good head movement and blocks, and after the 5th round was using clever little shifts in direction that was making Scott miss. Scott did not have much of a defence.

Ring Generalship: DUPAS clearly. He was making Scott fight his fight by being on the inside and taking away the leverage needed for his punches. He was also the one looking to try new things in the bout.

Clean, Effective Punching: SCOTT. He was landing the better punches especially early as he dug hard to the body. Dupas shots were more flurrying shots although he did occasionally set his feet and swing. Scott was landing the harder shots.
That's cool G, it was a hard fight to score and a close Dupas win is not outside the realm of reasonableness for me. I agree with your breakdown of the criteria for scoring the fight, but I suppose I put a bit more emphasis on Scott's punching, even though I agree with you that Dupas was doing good things to control the fight and make Scott miss in quite a few patches.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #252
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
That's cool G, it was a hard fight to score and a close Dupas win is not outside the realm of reasonableness for me. I agree with your breakdown of the criteria for scoring the fight, but I suppose I put a bit more emphasis on Scott's punching, even though I agree with you that Dupas was doing good things to control the fight and make Scott miss in quite a few patches.
Its how your critea is set really. I favour ring generalship.

Its one of those fights, one guy could have it one way, another a different way, and another guy a completly different way. But it is a cracking fight.

I gave my wee brother a shot of it and he really enjoyed the fight and gave it a draw. 5 rounds each.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #253
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SAN GABRIEL VALLEY
Posts: 12,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Hey Pater have you checked out Tapia-Ayala I yet?
anarci is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #254
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

nope, youtube is playing up again, ill download it in a second
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:33 AM   #255
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Marcel vs Arguello

Didn't score this as i was a bit drunk and couldn't be bothered, but ended up with the same feeling i had when i last watched it a few years ago.Marcel got off to a superb start scoring with some beautiful long right-hands, but wore down very quickly once arguello started landing circa 5th.From there on it was mostly gruelling stuff with Arguello outworking him and winning a lot of the exchanges at close-mid range.Very close overall.

Great fight.Arguello would be just as good at this weight as 130 because of his physical advantages imo.
I kind of agree with WAR regarding Marcel's second wind in that fight, and though some rounds were very close, I had Marcel taking some of the closing ones to get out ahead.

It's an interest thought though about Arguello at 126. A lot of people think Arguello was a little green and too thin at 126 to really compete with the beasts of the weight - a recent example was Divac who put forth such an opinion in the JMM-Arguello thread. I too held that opinion until recently.

Now, whilst I think Arguello lacked a bit of experience as an 126 pounder, I think by the end of his reign there, say by the time of the Royal Kobayashi fight, he would have been HELL for any featherweight, and I agree with you that he would be just as good at 126 as 130 if taken in that form.

I'd take that Arguello to beat the likes of Sanchez, Pedroza, Nelson, Pac, Fenech, Morales, MAB, JMM, Laporte, Lockridge and Hamed for example, though he;d probably still have issues with a top form Marcel, and maybe to a lesser extent a prime form Howard Winstone or Johnny Famechon.

Last edited by sweet_scientist; 04-11-2010 at 04:53 AM.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013