Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #2746
Hoshi
bigboi
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2419
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Just watched Sanchez vs Nelson 1982 for the featherweight title.
Great fight, I'm not the best scorer of a fight but I had Nelson taking the first five rounds before Sanchez went on to win the next five.

Had Nelson up by a point going into the fifteenth round.

Going to have to watch some more of these guys. Nelson put up such an effort late in the fight, dont see that much these days.
Hoshi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #2747
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshi View Post
Just watched Sanchez vs Nelson 1982 for the featherweight title.
Great fight, I'm not the best scorer of a fight but I had Nelson taking the first five rounds before Sanchez went on to win the next five.

Had Nelson up by a point going into the fifteenth round.

Going to have to watch some more of these guys. Nelson put up such an effort late in the fight, dont see that much these days.
I'd say the score you ended up with was just fine. Most here had that one very close, so you're right in the ballpark.

Nelson was so game; he reminded me of a little banty rooster in that fight, with that coif of hair he had in front, and the way he attacked........so determined to take the fight to Sanchez.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #2748
Hoshi
bigboi
ESB Senior Member

He was just pressuring and countering early on and it was giving Sanchez fits.

132-133 for Nelson headed into the 15th. He never truly managed to hurt Sanchez though I felt, whereas after Sanchez landed the left hook in the 6th (I think) he was getting hurt consistently.

He was game, swinging for the fences while clearly exhausted and rocked. Grainy youtube quality but still watchable.

At the beginning the commentators were talking of Arguello for one of these. Were they referring to Sanchez?
Hoshi is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #2749
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He was just pressuring and countering early on and it was giving Sanchez fits.

132-133 for Nelson headed into the 15th. He never truly managed to hurt Sanchez though I felt, whereas after Sanchez landed the left hook in the 6th (I think) he was getting hurt consistently.

He was game, swinging for the fences while clearly exhausted and rocked. Grainy youtube quality but still watchable.

At the beginning the commentators were talking of Arguello for one of these. Were they referring to Sanchez?
Sanchez was supposedly going to go after Arguello at 135, yeah. He died 22 days after the Nelson bout, of course....
Old 12-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #2750
Hoshi
bigboi
ESB Senior Member

Going to have to watch some more of him and Nelson too. Nelson went on to become one of the best super featherweights ever in many peoples eyes.

Which other Sanchez fights do you recommend pal?

Last edited by Hoshi; 12-24-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Hoshi is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #2751
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Going to have to watch some more of him and Nelson too. Nelson went on to become one of the best super featherweights ever in many peoples eyes.

Which other Sanchez fights do you recommend pal?
Nelson's awesome, love the guy. Watch the second Fenech match, he shows there how much he learned over the years.

As to Sanchez, ya gotta watch the Gomez fight, that was his biggest fight. Great brawl, too. The Danny Lopez bouts are superb, too.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #2752
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
Nelson's awesome, love the guy. Watch the second Fenech match, he shows there how much he learned over the years.

As to Sanchez, ya gotta watch the Gomez fight, that was his biggest fight. Great brawl, too. The Danny Lopez bouts are superb, too.
Most of Chava's defenses were fun to watch, because of his penchant for starting slow and accelerating down the stretch. His fights with Castillo, Ford, and Cowdell are all extremely intriguing and often exciting in their own way.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #2753
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just watched Olivares-Castillo II, which I think has only recently been uploaded. Ruben looks a bit flat here, but credit is certainly due the tough Castillo, who cuts Ruben over the left eye early, and keeps opening it up throughout. The bout is finally stopped in the 14th, and Olivares is a loser for the first time. Not a great bout, but an important one. I am very impressed with the fact that Castillo went the full 15 with Ruben in losses twice, while also stopping him this time.......that's a lot of rounds against a fighter that closed the show fairly early on just about everyone else. Tough guy Castillo, and so well-rounded.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #2754
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

against my better judgement I rewatched ali-young just now.

I first watched it 2 year ago and had it Ali 9-6 then. I rewatched it some point last year and had it young 8-7.

Just now I scored it Ali 8-7. Unfortunately I tend not to keep my rbr card anymore as it detracts from the narrative of a fight. I score it all at once and my total is my total.

Ali looked really fat but was still quicker on his feet than young. Also when Ali landed good shots and got young against the ropes, he ducked under the ropes even in the final round! To me that's youngs way of saying the combo has him beaten and he wants out. I think I scored any round against him by default when he did that twice.

crap fight. But I have told myself every controversial fight I come across I'll try to watch thrice 12 months apart.

Least the book is shut on this, far worse than the calzaghe v Hopkins fight fwiw.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #2755
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Larry Holmes SD Tim Witherspoon

Wish this had been 15 rounds, they probably could have settled it with more clarity. There's a moment in the 12th, where Witherspoon is up on his toes, crowd loving it, and Larry just blasts him with a beautiful straight, one of his best punches. Of course, Witherspoon likely wouldn't have done that in 12th if it wasn't the last round, but I think that was a bit of a tide-turning punch against a tired opponent.

Not that Witherspoon didn't miss his own chase to win the fight, I think that he was unaware of how hurt Holmes was in the 9th, which is as good as the final round of Norton-Holmes for me. Close, good fight, with Witherspoon showing a world class taste for range, even if all that shit about his "out-jabbing" Holmes is just that. Holmes landed more, better jabs.

HOLMES:1,2,4,5,11,12
WITHERSPOON:3,6,7,8,9,10

So I have Holmes rallying for a draw after a disastrous third quarter. Ultra-close rounds (rounds I was uncomfortable scoring) were 2,6 and 8, so if I were to score rounds even, I would have Holmes shading it. I guess that makes me happy with a Holmes win if it had to go one way or the other even if the overall flavour of the fight doesn't neccessarily feel that way.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 AM   #2756
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
against my better judgement I rewatched ali-young just now.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #2757
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Larry Holmes SD Tim Witherspoon

Wish this had been 15 rounds, they probably could have settled it with more clarity. There's a moment in the 12th, where Witherspoon is up on his toes, crowd loving it, and Larry just blasts him with a beautiful straight, one of his best punches. Of course, Witherspoon likely wouldn't have done that in 12th if it wasn't the last round, but I think that was a bit of a tide-turning punch against a tired opponent.

Not that Witherspoon didn't miss his own chase to win the fight, I think that he was unaware of how hurt Holmes was in the 9th, which is as good as the final round of Norton-Holmes for me. Close, good fight, with Witherspoon showing a world class taste for range, even if all that shit about his "out-jabbing" Holmes is just that. Holmes landed more, better jabs.

HOLMES:1,2,4,5,11,12
WITHERSPOON:3,6,7,8,9,10

So I have Holmes rallying for a draw after a disastrous third quarter. Ultra-close rounds (rounds I was uncomfortable scoring) were 2,6 and 8, so if I were to score rounds even, I would have Holmes shading it. I guess that makes me happy with a Holmes win if it had to go one way or the other even if the overall flavour of the fight doesn't neccessarily feel that way.
Over the course of the fight Larry was more consistent with his jab bit there were rounds were spoon outjabbed him.

I only scored 1 round different to youand had it 7-5.

The even rounds is interesting comment, I think more even rounds should be scored but I don't score them myself. I think winning a round clear should be worth more than winning a round close but even scoring just isn't a regular enough occurrence for me to justify it.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #2758
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
The even rounds is interesting comment, I think more even rounds should be scored but I don't score them myself.
I score them if the fight is being fought in an era where even rounds are frequently scored.

Quote:
I think winning a round clear should be worth more than winning a round close.
This does bring its own problems. For example, a fighter could be out-thought, out-worked, out-boxed, out-landed and win a fight after taking the first three rounds clear. It would also breed conservatism in the opening rounds, for that reason.

Boxing is scored like snooker or darts with the exception that being much better than your opponent in just one round can result in your winning the fight on some sort of stoppage. So i think it's system is superior to either of those sports for that reason.

Supplementary scoring brings its own nightmare scenarios. I think we've settled on ten points must for a reason, personally.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #2759
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I score them if the fight is being fought in an era where even rounds are frequently scored.

This does bring its own problems. For example, a fighter could be out-thought, out-worked, out-boxed, out-landed and win a fight after taking the first three rounds clear. It would also breed conservatism in the opening rounds, for that reason.

Boxing is scored like snooker or darts with the exception that being much better than your opponent in just one round can result in your winning the fight on some sort of stoppage. So i think it's system is superior to either of those sports for that reason.

Supplementary scoring brings its own nightmare scenarios. I think we've settled on ten points must for a reason, personally.
Yeah that's the flipside. It isn't really a fight at all it's a discipline.

12 mini fights whoever wins the most wins the whole fight. That is the basis of 10 point must and that's currently how I score myself.

Like you say if a boxer gets outclassed for 1 round he can regroup and go out there knowing if he does enough to nick the next round it's back level. It adds to the drams of the sport and does set it above others for that reason to me also.

I think what I'm trying to say is I agree with everything you say I just mean in terms of raw ability a fight can have a misleading conclusion based on a scorecard using this system I.e. Fighter A edges 6 rounds, fighter B dominates 6 rounds and the fight is a draw.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #2760
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I wouldn't mind seeing a more liberal use of the 10-8 score in theory, but can you imagine how open it leaves the sport to corrupting inlfuences? The sport isn't clean enough to support it IMO.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum