Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #2776
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Julian Jackson vs Buster Drayton

Damn, jackson had some skills. Started watching for the KO but this was a bit of a treat...a mini brawl from the opening bell. Jackson's stamina was so-so at times, he would throw blistering combos but the then gas and he's damn lucky drayton was tired/hurt most of the those times himself because he would leave himself wide open. Almost as if he'd empty his salo and figure "whatever he throws back, i can handle". He ate a fair share of hooks in exchanges and jabs when finishing his attacks and managed them well. He has a chinny reputation and he was stung a couple of times but i think he has a decent beard.

What impressed me, other than the obvious, was his handspeed and fundamentals. Hands up, doubling the jab, and very good sense of timing. He would start combos with the jab and when drayton's head movement preventing his Jackson's right hook (i refuse to call it a cross) he dug to the body...often and hard.

He defense was ok but his offense was tremendous. I wonder if he could've fared better against McCallum if he DIDN'T sting him early and instead boxed a bit more and waited for his chance
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #2777
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshi View Post
Pernell Whitaker vs Buddy McGirt I
Pernell Whitaker vs Roger Mayweather

Love Whitaker's jab. Really can't think of many fighters who would have been able to beat this guy.
I watched this a couple days ago never having seen it and didn't expect what i saw which was a certified war. Pete's defense was also very conventional looking with almost none of his trademark upperbody movement. Got me excited to see more of his especially the McGirt fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
Julian Jackson vs Buster Drayton

Damn, jackson had some skills. Started watching for the KO but this was a bit of a treat...a mini brawl from the opening bell. Jackson's stamina was so-so at times, he would throw blistering combos but the then gas and he's damn lucky drayton was tired/hurt most of the those times himself because he would leave himself wide open. Almost as if he'd empty his salo and figure "whatever he throws back, i can handle". He ate a fair share of hooks in exchanges and jabs when finishing his attacks and managed them well. He has a chinny reputation and he was stung a couple of times but i think he has a decent beard.

What impressed me, other than the obvious, was his handspeed and fundamentals. Hands up, doubling the jab, and very good sense of timing. He would start combos with the jab and when drayton's head movement preventing his Jackson's right hook (i refuse to call it a cross) he dug to the body...often and hard.

He defense was ok but his offense was tremendous. I wonder if he could've fared better against McCallum if he DIDN'T sting him early and instead boxed a bit more and waited for his chance
Mike said he had the fastest handspeed of anyone he fought and its a much overlooked aspect of his game. Jackson has near perfect punching technique imo and is one of the best examples to watch of a fighter generating leverage on his punches along with Louis. Would have been hard to have boxed Mike though since he came out and went right at him, can't imagine Jackson expected that nor Mike being able to stand up to his onslaught which says everything about McCallum. How many fighters would go right at a prime Jackson and try to walk him down, not many, just unfortunate that he ran into two iron chins capable of it during his own era in Mike and GMan
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #2778
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just finished Pintor-Hurricane Teru. If someone asked what Pintor was all about and to recommend a fight of his to get a sense of him as a fighter, I'd probably pick this one. Prototypical Pintor performance. He starts slow here as normal, letting his game Japanese challenger build up a head of steam as he fights in flurries and even stings the champion once or twice.

Pintor has a great grasp of the 15-round distance however, and patiently puts his shots together while waiting out his challenger's early energy expenditure.

Pintor really starts to put it together in the eighth round, and he starts landing more cleanly, and for the first time begins to move Teru with his punches. The challenger is tiring, but rallies for a good 11th round. Pintor just keeps his steady, patient attack going though, and floors Teru in the 13th after putting a massive beating on him for the duration of the round. Teru gamely tries to fight back in the 14th, but his legs are gone. Pintor floors him again in the 15th, and the referee rescues Teru.

Good fight.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #2779
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

Jackson's punch technique really needs to be studied, because he does such a fantastic job of getting his leverage. With very few exceptions, on his big punches his feet are balanced and planted, and he's either stepping forward into the shot or turning his body into it. In practically all his most impressive KOs you can see the way he times stepping into his punching, turning his body with it, or both.

And the Drayton fight is an excellent example of Julian at his best, with short crisp punches, digging beautifully into the body, even using a decent jab.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #2780
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
I watched this a couple days ago never having seen it and didn't expect what i saw which was a certified war. Pete's defense was also very conventional looking with almost none of his trademark upperbody movement. Got me excited to see more of his especially the McGirt fights.
Yeah, was a rare fight where he actually fought with a high guard. Didn't see too much of that after the Mayweather fight as he became more dipsy-do oriented.

To me the Mayweather fight is one of his most underrated wins, considering the stylistic disadvantage in the fight and how early it came in his career.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #2781
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Found a site that had Davey Moore - Ayub Kalule and saw that yesterday. Fun fight; I'd read about it in an old back issue of KO magazine back in the day so I know what happened, but it was still a reminder of just how much promise Davey Moore had. Damn, how many fighters who had something to offer went down the path of bad management? Sad.

He had a lot of rough edges, but he should have rough edges after only ten fights. He made up for it with combination punching, good movement, and a true fighting heart. He could have gone a long way.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #2782
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Oh, if you'd needed that...I could've posted it

Saying that I've been slack on uploads at the mo'!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #2783
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Oh, if you'd needed that...I could've posted it

Saying that I've been slack on uploads at the mo'!

Heh. Cool, sure whatever you wanna throw in there is great, thanks! I visit your channel a lot, so let us know!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #2784
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I'm sorry man...just haven't been arsed as of late
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #2785
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I'm sorry man...just haven't been arsed as of late
Hey, no worries! You don't owe us anything...........
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #2786
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just finished Hamsho-Minter, which was a typical mugging affair on the part of Hamsho. I thought Minter did well to hang with Hamsho as well as he did, and scored it 5-4-1 for Hamsho. There is a definite art to the way Hamsho does his smothering tactics; he often didn't allow Minter opportunity to do anything but grapple and push and play his game.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was the truly disgusting and unprofessional homerism on the part of "Reg." Is this that Gutteridge guy I've read about? Anyway, he's awful. Took every opportunity to denegrade America, American press, American scoring, everything, while cooing on about Minter as if he were some besotted high school girl with a crush, even saying outright that he "certainly hopes that he (Minter) wins the fight." Just disgraceful. Downplaying anything Hamso did or omitted comment of it entirely, while heaping praise on Minter for things he did or imagined he would do. He never bothered to make note of Minter's holding of the back of Hamsho's head or the odd low blows of course. All that nastiness must be a distinctly American trait apparently.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #2787
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Gutteridge and Carpenter were better when there wasn't a brit fighting a foreigner situation, though i've never been a fan of either myself.

They could have convinced you Mo Hope and Herol Graham were on the verge of beating Benitez and Kalambay, among many other outright biased calls.

on Jackson vs Drayton.I thought Drayton was looking shopworn by then, i'd still pick jackson over any version of him, but it could have been a classic had it taken place 3 or 4 years earlier.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #2788
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Gutteridge and Carpenter were better when there wasn't a brit fighting a foreigner situation, though i've never been a fan of either myself.

They could have convinced you Mo Hope and Herol Graham were on the verge of beating Benitez and Kalambay, among many other outright biased calls.
It was shocking to listen to, really. Never heard that level of favoritism or passive-aggressive bitchiness before. I guess we get so used to the drama queen man-love of Jim Lampley after a time, and everything else seems odd.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #2789
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Just watched Mullings v Castillejo.

I had it a dead even draw. Very scrappy fight and one that I think is the true definition of a home-town decision.

By that I mean even when Javier clearly lost an exchange he'd raise his hands and the crowd would go wild, he spent an awful lot of time showboating and the fans loved it. That crowd noise was probably the edge that convinced the judges on some of the closer rounds.

I really found it very difficult to split thejm a lot of the time, round 4 seemed clear for castillejo but the rest could probably have been swing rounds. Very tit fpr tat fight with Castillejo showboating on the outside and Mullings roughing him up on the inside. Both had incredibly slow hands this night as well.

I can see it going Castillejo's way but equally can see it going Mullings way.

Anyways I had it a draw, anyone else seen this? If not I wouldn't really recommend it
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #2790
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
Hey, no worries! You don't owe us anything...........
yes he does
Nightcrawler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum