Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #286
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Larry Holmes Vs Tim Witherspoon. Great Fight. I think it was slightly better than Holmes-Norton with the glaring exception that we were robbed of the Championship rounds. I scored it (and have already forgotten the exact scoring) but I had Holmes by a point. I had one even round early which if I had to give it to somebody I probably would've given it to 'Spoon. I think the result was fair though. Holmes experience and championship heart pulled him through.

Also watched Kessler-Froch. I gave it to Kessler. Simply seemed to outhustle Froch and wanted it a little more. And I was pulling for Froch from the start (though I wouldn't call myself a fan). I'd just like to see one dominant fighter come out of this. That leaves only Ward with that chance (or maybe Dirrell). Styles make fights was never more true than in this series. Good fighters. I'm not sure we'll identify a great one. Lucien Bute needed to be in this series.
natonic is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #287
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Had a good day today.

Fighting Harada vs Alan Rudkin

A good fight this, both guys show some excellant technical ability and it is fought at a very high pace.

Harada really impressed me in this fight with the speed in which he could close the distance and get into range for his mid-range punches, it was very, very quick. Rudkin would throw a lazy jab, and then bang, he has taken a right hook. His strength was also very impressive as Rudkin couldnt budge him early when they got into clinches, and Rudkin was a strong Bantam.

Rudkin impressed me with his counter-punches, especially the way he started to use his jab as a counterpunch and keep Harada off balance. He got a slow-start and took a minute to figure Harada out but by the mid-rounds he had warmed to the task and was more comfortable. He alo landed some really nice body punches on Harada, who clearly did not like them.

It was a very competitive fight and every round was fought hard. But you knew who the winner was due to Harada's ring generalship and workrate.

Harada: 1,2,4,5,6,10,11,12,14,15
Rudkin: 3,7,8,9,13 KD'd 1
Total: 145-139 Harada (10-5)

Harada WUD15 Rudkin

Ruben Olivares vs Rafeal Herrera I

Such an impressive performance. Herrera is fantastic in this, he shows some real nice and tidy boxing-punching, aswell as real instinctive, and stinging, counter punches.

Olivares just dosent seem to be able to deal with the accurate attack forcing him back, he looks to try and do something about it, and has some sucess on the offence but never really sustains it, he seems to get angry when he attacks. Herrera kept the pressure on with some really sharp hooks to head and body. Olivares also paid for his lazy jab as Herrera countered over the top of it. And the left hook to finish it was superb.

One of the most impressive Bantamweight performances I have seen.

Olivares: 4 KD'd 8
Herrera: 1,2,3,5,6,7
Total:

Herrera WKO8 Olivares

Alfonso Zamora vs Alberto Sandoval

Didnt know what to expect here and, god was I pleased at this.

An absoloute slugfest. Zamora a huge puncher starts quick and in the first 3 rounds is giving Sandoval a battering, but Sandoval is hurt but never went down. He fights back but Zamora is battering him with solid punches to head and body.

Finally, Sandoval manages to fight back and even stuns Zamora afew times and they again wage war on even terms. Until the punishment catches up with Sandoval and he falls.

Zamora: 2,3*,4,6
Sandoval: 1,5,7 KD'd 8
Total: 67-65 Zamora (4-3)

Zamora WTKO8 Sandoval

GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #288
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Greg you little shit, i told you Harada-Rudkin was a technical affair!

And wow i need to see Herrera-Olivares.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #289
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

It was a quality fight, cant beleive I didnt rate it the first time I seen it.

Also yeh Herrera vs olivares is a MUST see
Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #290
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Watched highlights of Johnson vs Moore 5

Really impressed with Johnsons right hand he seemed to time it perfectly to hit Moore and was doing damage with it. Looked to be in controll of the footage I seen and worked the body well.

But the ending came suddenly and with one punch, and Moore followed up. I know Johnson was only stopped by big hitters but I do question his chin.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #291
Lacyace
Forever Knight
ESB Addict

vCash: 200

Just watched Cory Spinks vs Ricardo Mayorga. Before watching this fight, I was under the impression that Mayorga was robbed. That's a flat-out lie. I was also told that Mayorga wasn't awared legitimate knockdowns. Another flat-out lie. The first so-called 'knockdown' that I recall was from a push. The second so-called 'knockdown' was from a slip. The third so-called 'knockdown' was a push as well. Mayorga was doing his best 'Ricky Hatton' impression with the holding and hitting which he was subsequently deducted a point for. Mayorga also swung at air for the majority of the bout.

Spinks won seven or eight rounds. There's no way I could watch the fight again and give Mayorga more than five rounds so how the hell was this a robbery?
Lacyace is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 05:31 AM   #292
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Had a good day today.

Fighting Harada vs Alan Rudkin

A good fight this, both guys show some excellant technical ability and it is fought at a very high pace.

Harada really impressed me in this fight with the speed in which he could close the distance and get into range for his mid-range punches, it was very, very quick. Rudkin would throw a lazy jab, and then bang, he has taken a right hook. His strength was also very impressive as Rudkin couldnt budge him early when they got into clinches, and Rudkin was a strong Bantam.

Rudkin impressed me with his counter-punches, especially the way he started to use his jab as a counterpunch and keep Harada off balance. He got a slow-start and took a minute to figure Harada out but by the mid-rounds he had warmed to the task and was more comfortable. He alo landed some really nice body punches on Harada, who clearly did not like them.

It was a very competitive fight and every round was fought hard. But you knew who the winner was due to Harada's ring generalship and workrate.

Harada: 1,2,4,5,6,10,11,12,14,15
Rudkin: 3,7,8,9,13 KD'd 1
Total: 145-139 Harada (10-5)

Harada WUD15 Rudkin

Ruben Olivares vs Rafeal Herrera I

Such an impressive performance. Herrera is fantastic in this, he shows some real nice and tidy boxing-punching, aswell as real instinctive, and stinging, counter punches.

Olivares just dosent seem to be able to deal with the accurate attack forcing him back, he looks to try and do something about it, and has some sucess on the offence but never really sustains it, he seems to get angry when he attacks. Herrera kept the pressure on with some really sharp hooks to head and body. Olivares also paid for his lazy jab as Herrera countered over the top of it. And the left hook to finish it was superb.

One of the most impressive Bantamweight performances I have seen.

Olivares: 4 KD'd 8
Herrera: 1,2,3,5,6,7
Total:

Herrera WKO8 Olivares

Alfonso Zamora vs Alberto Sandoval

Didnt know what to expect here and, god was I pleased at this.

An absoloute slugfest. Zamora a huge puncher starts quick and in the first 3 rounds is giving Sandoval a battering, but Sandoval is hurt but never went down. He fights back but Zamora is battering him with solid punches to head and body.

Finally, Sandoval manages to fight back and even stuns Zamora afew times and they again wage war on even terms. Until the punishment catches up with Sandoval and he falls.

Zamora: 2,3*,4,6
Sandoval: 1,5,7 KD'd 8
Total: 67-65 Zamora (4-3)

Zamora WTKO8 Sandoval

Told you it was worth a second look. Glad you enjoyed it.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #293
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Pone Kingpetch vs Salvatore Burruni

Really good fight this. A high paced technical match up it only lacked drama.

Very impressed with Burruni. He reminded me of Canzoneri in the way he was very defensivly adept, especially with head movement, but was aggresive so was tagged. Burruni used head movement and came in with wide hooks for counter shots, seemed a really sharp puncher especially when countering, and pretty elusive too.

He did have an excellant jab but it was very under used. He mainly just used it on the outside to keep his opponent busy, he did his best work at mid range where he swung in those hooks.

Kingpetch couldnt quite deal with Burruni and was made to look quite ragged at times. He did have some sucess with his straight countershots but he just couldnt sustain it.

Burruni seems to be a very good Flyweight, yet you never hear about him.

Burruni: 1,2,4,5,7,9,10,12,13,14,15
Kingpetch:3,6,8,11
Total: 146-139 Burruni (11-4)

Burruni WUD15 Kingpetch
Old 05-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #294
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

I decided, for whatever reason, to re-watch and score Hopkins/Calzaghe today. Yes, Hopkins fought like a thug, but I honestly thought he won the fight by no less than 3 points. As much as Calzaghe was pressing, as many punches as he threw, and as much as Hopkins used off-putting con antics in the latter rounds, you score based on clean punching mainly. Hopkins played ring general in the early to mid rounds and built up a pretty comfortable lead on my card with his much crisper shots, particularly the straight right. He started to wane in the latter rounds while Calzaghe turned up the pace, but even still, most of the effective punching was done by Hopkins. Calzaghe was for the most part hitting air, shoulders, and elbows throughout, and being countered often in the process.

That was basically the story of the fight, particularly the second half. Even if I gave the edge in the more difficult to score rounds (and there were a lot of them, mind you, depending on how you score), I'd still edge it to Hopkins based on his work in the early-mid rounds. He did drop Calzaghe and hurt him on another occasion as well, whereas Calzaghe landed pitty pat punches when he was fortunate enough to land. Obviously an ugly, difficult fight to score for most, and not a popular opinion, I'm sure. But hey, there you have it.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #295
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I promised myself I wouldnt rewatch that shit again..god awful fight.

Maybe I should review again..But I dont know, I probably wont...At the time I was happy enough for Joe to get the decision, though overall I didnt think he was the better fighter on the night.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #296
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

I had Joe by the slightest of margins, but it's not really a 'win' in my books. Just like there was no real winner to the Hops-Taylor fights.

Shit fights that would be declared draws in any non-anal era.

Some fights I've watched recently:

Roger Mayweather vs. Tony Baltazar: 98-94 Mayweather
Baltazar: 2 and 9.
Mayweather: 1,3,4,6,8 and 10.
Rounds 5 and 7 even.

Hometown cooking at work here. Tony chased Roger aimlessly all night and ate jabs for his trouble, not getting anything done in retaliation.

Roger Mayweather vs. Mario Martinez: 98-93 Mayweather
Martinez: 2 and 9.
Mayweather:1,4,5,6,7,8 and 10.
Round 3 even.

One of Roger's most impressive boxing displays. Martinez was tough and brave and made it hard the whole way, but Roger was landing the cleaner, crisper shots all night.

Tony Baltazar vs. Howard Davis: 96-93 Baltazar
Davis: 2,3,6 and 10.
Baltazar: 4,5 ( 10-8 ),7,8 ( 10-8 ) and 9.
Round 1 even.

This time Tony was a little hard done by I felt. Was definitely landing the harder shots, and had Howard in trouble several times, but there was no extra points given in rounds in this fight and knockdowns could only be used as a tiebreaker if the fight was otherwise even. As Howard was ahead in terms of rounds won (which I suppose is arguable), he won the fight. But really, he 'lost' this fight....
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #297
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
I decided, for whatever reason, to re-watch and score Hopkins/Calzaghe today. Yes, Hopkins fought like a thug, but I honestly thought he won the fight by no less than 3 points. As much as Calzaghe was pressing, as many punches as he threw, and as much as Hopkins used off-putting con antics in the latter rounds, you score based on clean punching mainly. Hopkins played ring general in the early to mid rounds and built up a pretty comfortable lead on my card with his much crisper shots, particularly the straight right. He started to wane in the latter rounds while Calzaghe turned up the pace, but even still, most of the effective punching was done by Hopkins. Calzaghe was for the most part hitting air, shoulders, and elbows throughout, and being countered often in the process.

That was basically the story of the fight, particularly the second half. Even if I gave the edge in the more difficult to score rounds (and there were a lot of them, mind you, depending on how you score), I'd still edge it to Hopkins based on his work in the early-mid rounds. He did drop Calzaghe and hurt him on another occasion as well, whereas Calzaghe landed pitty pat punches when he was fortunate enough to land. Obviously an ugly, difficult fight to score for most, and not a popular opinion, I'm sure. But hey, there you have it.
Really need to rewatch this, watched it live and had Calzaghe a 1 or 2 point winner. But I did think it was an alright fight.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #298
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

I had Hopkins winning it WIDE, actually. I know that's not the consensus. I also had him winning the second Taylor point wide, by four or five points or so.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #299
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

I had him winning the second Taylor fight also, not wide though but clear. Had the first a draw.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #300
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Montel Griffin MD12 James Toney.

I had it 6-4-2 Toney.

Toney: 2,3,4,5,8,9

Griffin: 1,7,10,11

Even: 6,12

This is a really weird and inscrutable fight. Toney fought it so strange. He fought short early on, trying to come under his much smaller opponent's jab and land to the body. He does have success to the body throughout, but often at the expense of allowing Griffin to flurry. Sure, Griffin didnt have a great deal of success with these flurries, but to the unsighted naked eye...anyway, I can see, in fact, despite my scoring, why Griffin got the nod here.

One of the odd things about the fight is that compubox numbers has Toney throwing more, but it feels like Griffin threw more, this is because Toney takes long resting spells, giving up a couple of rounds that he should have won but also because Toney missed, and was made to miss, often. Sometimes his hook was off by miles,big, big misses. That never looks good to judges. He also, inspite of the fact that he had great success with it, didn't bother to jab. Instead, he let himself be out-jabbed and then let Griffin define when he would come inside...he seems to lack ambition.

Griffin, for his part, stayed tough despite getting hit by the far harder shots, stuck to the gameplan, wasn't intimidated and turned in a quite exceptional performance for such a green fighter. If he had closed out round three instead of getting hurt and nearly dropped...maybe he could have deserved the win instead of being handed it.

As it is, I can't quite call it a robbery because lots of the rounds were close and difficult to score but it was a surprise given how much more Toney hurt his man than vice versa. Cracking little scrap, this one.
McGrain is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum