Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #3151
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Yeah, Saensak's chin was finally cracked that night.

I think Saensak won a fair few of the middle rounds as Kim was a bit too evasive and Saensak was landing the cleaner and harder shots but he's so horrible to watch it's hard to ever score rounds for him.

Watched most of Saensak-Perico Fernandez II; very interesting defensive technique from Saensak there (no kidding) although I'm probably kore surprised that he bothered to duck at all.

Kim was not bad at all. I have him Vs...hmm....cannot remember the chaps name (criminal, sorry) but it's his title defence. Obviously I have a bit of Mamby blasting him. But he wasn't always the horrifically bad fighter that Pryor steamrolled.

Vic, check out my twitter, bumped into Sam-A today
I see, I was reading boranīs thread right now !! Great picture!
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #3152
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 191

Just watched Arthur Abraham vs Mehdi Bouadla on EurosportHD. King Arthur impressed me with them solid , rapid combinations. He was like a caveman. Id like to see him fight Groves.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #3153
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Watched most of Saensak-Perico Fernandez II; very interesting defensive technique from Saensak there (no kidding)
Boomsong never ceases to amaze me

Imagine The Thai Slickster embarrasing Antonio "C-3PO" Cervantes for 15 rounds.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #3154
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Ha!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #3155
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Sumbu Kalambay vs Mike McCallum I

This guy would have been a superstar today at 160lbs. He was so good. Mike is a great fighter himself, and coming off his devastating knockout victory over Donald Curry, but here he was conclusively outboxed over 12. Out-jabbed, couldn't get out of the way of Kalambay's right hand, and his signature body work was nowhere to be seen. Considering what McCallum went on to achieve as a Middleweight, and the performances he'd put on against the likes of Watson and Toney, you'd have to say this result was more down to Kalambay's brilliance then McCallum not being effective at 160lbs. A beautiful display. The cards were close, but I thought Sumbu won it by at least 4-5 rounds.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #3156
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Probably the best pure boxing performance we have on film.

Watch their 2nd fight; a post-Nunn Sumbu, and Mike starts quicker, but an uber close and exciting technical affair an one of my favourite fights.

Glad you're digging Sumbu, one of my favourites. Who the **** needs Floyd Mayweather?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #3157
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:

Watch their 2nd fight; a post-Nunn Sumbu, and Mike starts quicker, but an uber close and exciting technical affair an one of my favourite fights.

Glad you're digging Sumbu, one of my favourites. Who the **** needs Floyd Mayweather?
Sumbu is ****in' awesome. It's incredible to me that he didn't get more recognition at the time. Can you imagine if he was around today? Nobody could **** with him.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #3158
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Might be a bit undersized at middle...but nah, he'd run rings round Sergio and Canelo fo'sure

As for recognition I think he had a chance for that when he fought Nunn. Post-Leonard-Hagler that was the fight to finally crown a 'true' number 1 I guess.

And we know what happened there (bloody southpaws)
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #3159
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Might be a bit undersized at middle...but nah, he'd run rings round Sergio and Canelo fo'sure

As for recognition I think he had a chance for that when he fought Nunn. Post-Leonard-Hagler that was the fight to finally crown a 'true' number 1 I guess.

And we know what happened there (bloody southpaws)
Is that the biggest fluke in boxing history? If they fought 100 more times I don't think Kalambay would've even been floored let alone stopped.
LittleRed is online now  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #3160
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Is that the biggest fluke in boxing history? If they fought 100 more times I don't think Kalambay would've even been floored let alone stopped.
That's the fight game!
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #3161
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Sumbu Kalambay vs Mike McCallum I

This guy would have been a superstar today at 160lbs. He was so good. Mike is a great fighter himself, and coming off his devastating knockout victory over Donald Curry, but here he was conclusively outboxed over 12. Out-jabbed, couldn't get out of the way of Kalambay's right hand, and his signature body work was nowhere to be seen. Considering what McCallum went on to achieve as a Middleweight, and the performances he'd put on against the likes of Watson and Toney, you'd have to say this result was more down to Kalambay's brilliance then McCallum not being effective at 160lbs. A beautiful display. The cards were close, but I thought Sumbu won it by at least 4-5 rounds.
great summary i honestly gave mike only 1 or 2 rounds
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #3162
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:

when you told me to watch it, i didn't know what to expect. it was another fight i kept yelling at my wife to watch...it was so ****ing effortless. EVERYTHING was working for that bastard
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #3163
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Beautiful mate, absolutely beautiful
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #3164
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
One of surely. Whereas McLarnin was probably a horrific matchup for YCIII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
That's the fight game!
This!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #3165
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Watched pacquiao v Marquez 2 again just now.

This for me is the best fight of the quadrilogy. So much back and forth, so many adjustments, such a great fight.

The first I found easy to score it was like a man showing the ****y young kid who was boss. Yeah Pac scored the 3 kd's but he got schooled for the remainder. The 3rd was close but clear. A lot of close rounds but at the end it felt like jmm was surely gonna get the nod, Pac had slowed a step which made jmm and his timing advantage more prevalent.

This 2nd though was them two at their peak I believe. I've watched it about 7 times now and at first I was scoring it 7-5 jmm but more recently I get a 6-6 card. It is very hard to separate them that night and the kd really was the difference when I watched it just now.

It kinda seems more fair as well with two greats like this meeting in their peaks that it is the closest of margins keeping them apart.

With hindsight I think Pac could have achieved more with his career. He was never gonna beat Floyd and whilst he made his money at ww who's around to beat him from sfw - lww? Marquez is the only one I'd consider but across 3 divisions Pac has plenty of opportunity to really clean up. Campbell at lw and a rematch with jmm. Bradley at lww, Judah, Khan, Peterson all these guys are a level below Pac.

Don't get me wrong, dominating cotto and clottey was great as he was out of his depth in that division, but would it have been as great as unfifying from sfw to lww? I dont know.

I feel the trips to ww took it out of him ultimately and caused a premature end to his peak.

He obviously has had a great career and his run as p4p#1 was deserved but I think it came at a price. Guess it tells because he started taking easy fights, Margo, Mosley and Jmm were all seen as cherry picks.

Bradley and Jmm was him trying to prove he still had it. I think he proved he doesn't. In his prime he was a sight to behold, dancing around, rapid combinations, take a shot to land a shot, standing his ground and cutting through his opponent. No wonder he was so loved. It's a shame when eras come to the end like this and that's why I wanted to remind myself what he was like at the top.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum