boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #316
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

We differed on rounds 4 and 8.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImtLe0nkqBA[/ame]
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #317
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Aye, i had it 6-4 but it was a close fight althrough, very competitive.

Cheers for uploading that Mcgrain, will give it a watch when i get to a Youtube freindly computer.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #318
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

It's a great fight. Did you feel the same way about the swing of the jabs, or did you see another factor (other than the cut)?

Interesting to see Machen out-teched.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #319
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

I'd have to re-watch it to remember. I did feel Johnson had the better left hand overrall, Ill watch it imorn and get back to you.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #320
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Been re-watching a lot of early Gomez lately. Fights with Davila, Yum, Lopez, Tirado, Cruz, etc. Anything up to the Zarate fight, as well as quite a few post-Zarate and pre-Sanchez to compare. Between the ages of 19-22 he was about as skilled an all-around master as I've ever seen. I think he started to regress technically shortly after the Zarate fight and quite clearly just prior to Sanchez. He devolved into more of a stalking, prodding power puncher during that time; just another in a long line of fighters that fell in love with their power and turned from the ways that got them to where they were.

In his younger days his footwork (side to side, to and fro, angles, on the dime turns and position changes), upper-body and head movement, anticipation of blows (even on the offensive), countering and punch-picking were all so seamlessly blended together. He was like poetry in motion. When he went on the attack after feeling his opponents out, I don't think I've ever seen anyone more impressive at blending all of the elements together. He literally toyed with his opponents in there.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #321
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

And was never appreciated. Everyone just looked at the punches with the guy.

What early Gomez could do was really dip down. He got like Marciano low and could fight out of that position. But like you said, those legs didn't last long. So guys like JA Lopez were making it to the late rounds before getting stopped. The shoulders on up were still top form, it was just everything below.

You always have to watch the knees with fighters and they really can go overnight. and when they try compensating for that deterioration it sure does change effectiveness a ton.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #322
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Thatīs the problem with many guys with power and skills. The media and fans just pay attention to the power and ignore the skills. And some day a fighter believes his power is enough. Happened to many.

Watched Robinson-Graziano yesterday. Was impressed with both guys chins. Robinson took one right hand that I was very impressed of and took it without any reaction. Graziano took some nice left-hooks with no reaction from him too. Amazing. Graziano looked quite slow and plodding here and while you could see that he wanted at times, he just couldnīt. Robinson looked like, well, Robinson but it seems to me he was weary of Grazianoīs power.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #323
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Carlos Palomino vs Armando Muniz I

Good fight this.

In the opener both guys look to feel each other out, Palomino lands some nice counter left hooks and looks to have the upper hand, but Muniz knocks him down to take the round. After the knockdown, in the next few rounds, Palomino looks abit hesitant because of the knockdown and this allows Muniz to counter-punch Palomino as Muniz keeps the pressure on high and capitalises on Palomino's mistakes. This is the case until about the 4th when Palomino lets his hands go abit more freely, but Muniz lands the sharper shots and is the more aggresive and looks to be the harder puncher.

In the 5th Palomino starts to establish himself as the puncher in the fight as he lands the harder shots and starts to get Muniz's respect, rather than Palomino being too hesitant because of Muniz's power: the roles are slightly reversed. Muniz though keeps the pace of the bout reasonably high and is always going forward.

In the 8th Muniz starts to make the bout messy as he breaks up Palomino's rhythm by holding and spoiling abit, he is looking to get inside but lacks a clear gameplan in which to do it, although he does manage to make it messier and breaks the over all flow of the bout. In the 9th Muniz looks to make it messy again but Palomino really starts to tee off on him as he comes inside and Palomino lands some real hard punches. Muniz just seems to lack a strategy to get inside and appears to be out of ideas as he plods forward and gets picked off. Although he does manage to stun Palomino with a sharp right cross near the end of the ninth.

Again, Palomino is effected by the power of Muniz as he becomes abit hesitant from the hard shot that stunned him in the ninth and Muniz has his confidence back. Muniz now has a gameplan and jabs his way into range and begins to use angles and finally looks like he has figured Palomino out. Its a good round for Muniz but he is stunned in the middle of the round but never seems as effected as Palomino from the punches he takes, and regains his composure quickly.

Almost as in a parralell from the last two rounds, Palomino seems to draw confidence from him stunning Muniz and begins to get his jab going in the tenth which keeps Muniz off balance and makes it difficult for Muniz to get inside, but it is still close as Muniz does get inside with changes of angles. A sharp punch from Muniz stuns Palomino and slightly edges the round in Muniz's favour.

In the 12th Palomino finally res-establishes himself as he starts to time Muniz and goes back to picking him off as he comes forward, Palomino looks really good as he lands hard combiantions on Muniz. In the 13th Muniz looks tired and looks to fall inside and make it a war, this happens but Palomino has the harder snap in his punches and is able to pick Muniz off as he gets into range, then they fall into some evenly matched in-fighting. Muniz really does look tired. Perhaps because of his tiredness Muniz starts the 14th on the backfoot and is much more patient as he picks his shots and lands hard counter-punches. Palomino cant quite figure this style out and loses the round.

I had it all resting on the final round and Muniz comes out to make a statement as he pours forward, but he is tired and Palomino looks quite fresh. Palomino soon starts to pick Muniz off at range and Munizcant get inside because of these accurate combinations. Muniz is dropped but gets up and is punched around the ring by sharp, hard combo's from Palomino before the referee steps in.

Palomino: 5,6,7,8,9,12,13 KD'd 1
Muniz: 1,2,3,4,10,11,14 KD'd 15
Total: 133-132 Muniz (7-7 DRAW)

Palomino WTKO15 Muniz

Alberto Davila vs Alberto Cabanig

An amazing performance, my first real look at Davila outside of the Gomez fight and I am very impressed.

Davilla looks a tidy boxer-puncher, he kept everything nice short and crisp. He mixed his combinations up well to head and body and was able to fight at any distance. His defence was olsid if unspectacular, with subtle head movements and blocks all tied together with a tight guard.

Cabanig was tall and awkward, he threw wide hooks and occasionally whipped in an uppercut, but generally was incompetant. He did keep a very high pace and took a heap of punishment. Also he had a very odd habit of recoiling backwards from the waist every time he was hit, like his back was on a spring.

Davila started strong and never really gave up the iniative. He backed Cabanig up with sharp jabs before slipping his way inside to bang the body and mix up his combos. The combinations were accentuated by sharp right hands and short left hooks which he doubled up to head and body wonderfully. Even when the much taller Cabanig kept at range Davila was able to step inside the jab and land his own one right down the pipe, just how Harold Johnson does it. At any range Cabanig just had no answer for the pure technical correctness and generalship of Davila.

Knowing nothing he was doing was working Cabinag upped the workrate with some mad wild hooks in the fourth round. Davila calmly kept his cool and rolled inside these hooks and delivered his own combinations, this patttern continued till the 6th, where Cabanig really upped his workrate and Davila took a rest round and was outworked as Cabanig just threw hooks to his body, but Davila showcased a very good defence.

After the minor blip in the 6th Davila upped his own game. In the 8th Davila backs him to the ropes for extended periods and is freely letting hard combinations go and Cabanig for the first time starts looking hurt but amazingly weather's the storm. In the 9th Davila showcasing his full ****nal takes centre ring and bosses it from there as he out-jabs the taller man. And finally in the tenth Davila went for it and realy let his combinations fly, he pinned Cabanig to the ropes and landed brilliant combinations and the referee had to step in.

Truly an amazing performance.

Davila WTKO 10 Cabanig
Old 05-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #324
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Been re-watching a lot of early Gomez lately. Fights with Davila, Yum, Lopez, Tirado, Cruz, etc. Anything up to the Zarate fight, as well as quite a few post-Zarate and pre-Sanchez to compare. Between the ages of 19-22 he was about as skilled an all-around master as I've ever seen. I think he started to regress technically shortly after the Zarate fight and quite clearly just prior to Sanchez. He devolved into more of a stalking, prodding power puncher during that time; just another in a long line of fighters that fell in love with their power and turned from the ways that got them to where they were.

In his younger days his footwork (side to side, to and fro, angles, on the dime turns and position changes), upper-body and head movement, anticipation of blows (even on the offensive), countering and punch-picking were all so seamlessly blended together. He was like poetry in motion. When he went on the attack after feeling his opponents out, I don't think I've ever seen anyone more impressive at blending all of the elements together. He literally toyed with his opponents in there.
Excellant post.

I always thought the younger Gomez was much more subtle and understated in his style and technique than he became later on as he became more aggresive and irrepressible and looked to bomb guys out abit.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #325
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post

An amazing performance, my first real look at Davila outside of the Gomez fight and I am very impressed.

Davilla looks a tidy boxer-puncher, he kept everything nice short and crisp. He mixed his combinations up well to head and body and was able to fight at any distance. His defence was olsid if unspectacular, with subtle head movements and blocks all tied together with a tight guard.

Cabanig was tall and awkward, he threw wide hooks and occasionally whipped in an uppercut, but generally was incompetant. He did keep a very high pace and took a heap of punishment. Also he had a very odd habit of recoiling backwards from the waist every time he was hit, like his back was on a spring.

Davila started strong and never really gave up the iniative. He backed Cabanig up with sharp jabs before slipping his way inside to bang the body and mix up his combos. The combinations were accentuated by sharp right hands and short left hooks which he doubled up to head and body wonderfully. Even when the much taller Cabanig kept at range Davila was able to step inside the jab and land his own one right down the pipe, just how Harold Johnson does it. At any range Cabanig just had no answer for the pure technical correctness and generalship of Davila.

Knowing nothing he was doing was working Cabinag upped the workrate with some mad wild hooks in the fourth round. Davila calmly kept his cool and rolled inside these hooks and delivered his own combinations, this patttern continued till the 6th, where Cabanig really upped his workrate and Davila took a rest round and was outworked as Cabanig just threw hooks to his body, but Davila showcased a very good defence.

After the minor blip in the 6th Davila upped his own game. In the 8th Davila backs him to the ropes for extended periods and is freely letting hard combinations go and Cabanig for the first time starts looking hurt but amazingly weather's the storm. In the 9th Davila showcasing his full ****nal takes centre ring and bosses it from there as he out-jabs the taller man. And finally in the tenth Davila went for it and realy let his combinations fly, he pinned Cabanig to the ropes and landed brilliant combinations and the referee had to step in.

Davila WTKO 10 Cabanig

Never seen it, but you make it sound fascinating.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #326
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Never seen it, but you make it sound fascinating.
It is a good fight, I really like it because it is a very complete performance by Davila, he looks awesome in it. Thing is Cabanig looks very average.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:29 AM   #327
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Carlos Palomino vs Armando Muniz I

Good fight this.

In the opener both guys look to feel each other out, Palomino lands some nice counter left hooks and looks to have the upper hand, but Muniz knocks him down to take the round. After the knockdown, in the next few rounds, Palomino looks abit hesitant because of the knockdown and this allows Muniz to counter-punch Palomino as Muniz keeps the pressure on high and capitalises on Palomino's mistakes. This is the case until about the 4th when Palomino lets his hands go abit more freely, but Muniz lands the sharper shots and is the more aggresive and looks to be the harder puncher.

In the 5th Palomino starts to establish himself as the puncher in the fight as he lands the harder shots and starts to get Muniz's respect, rather than Palomino being too hesitant because of Muniz's power: the roles are slightly reversed. Muniz though keeps the pace of the bout reasonably high and is always going forward.

In the 8th Muniz starts to make the bout messy as he breaks up Palomino's rhythm by holding and spoiling abit, he is looking to get inside but lacks a clear gameplan in which to do it, although he does manage to make it messier and breaks the over all flow of the bout. In the 9th Muniz looks to make it messy again but Palomino really starts to tee off on him as he comes inside and Palomino lands some real hard punches. Muniz just seems to lack a strategy to get inside and appears to be out of ideas as he plods forward and gets picked off. Although he does manage to stun Palomino with a sharp right cross near the end of the ninth.

Again, Palomino is effected by the power of Muniz as he becomes abit hesitant from the hard shot that stunned him in the ninth and Muniz has his confidence back. Muniz now has a gameplan and jabs his way into range and begins to use angles and finally looks like he has figured Palomino out. Its a good round for Muniz but he is stunned in the middle of the round but never seems as effected as Palomino from the punches he takes, and regains his composure quickly.

Almost as in a parralell from the last two rounds, Palomino seems to draw confidence from him stunning Muniz and begins to get his jab going in the tenth which keeps Muniz off balance and makes it difficult for Muniz to get inside, but it is still close as Muniz does get inside with changes of angles. A sharp punch from Muniz stuns Palomino and slightly edges the round in Muniz's favour.

In the 12th Palomino finally res-establishes himself as he starts to time Muniz and goes back to picking him off as he comes forward, Palomino looks really good as he lands hard combiantions on Muniz. In the 13th Muniz looks tired and looks to fall inside and make it a war, this happens but Palomino has the harder snap in his punches and is able to pick Muniz off as he gets into range, then they fall into some evenly matched in-fighting. Muniz really does look tired. Perhaps because of his tiredness Muniz starts the 14th on the backfoot and is much more patient as he picks his shots and lands hard counter-punches. Palomino cant quite figure this style out and loses the round.

I had it all resting on the final round and Muniz comes out to make a statement as he pours forward, but he is tired and Palomino looks quite fresh. Palomino soon starts to pick Muniz off at range and Munizcant get inside because of these accurate combinations. Muniz is dropped but gets up and is punched around the ring by sharp, hard combo's from Palomino before the referee steps in.

Palomino: 5,6,7,8,9,12,13 KD'd 1
Muniz: 1,2,3,4,10,11,14 KD'd 15
Total: 133-132 Muniz (7-7 DRAW)

Palomino WTKO15 Muniz

Davila WTKO 10 Cabanig

One of my favourites is Davila. You should watch the second Pintor fight, a classic.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 05:56 AM   #328
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Yeh, Al I know you like Davila. Will definitly get some more of his fights.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #329
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Davila was an excellent technical boxer. Just a bit too lacking physically to ever really cut it against the top dogs.

Another one I watched semi-recently was Lionel Rose's title defense against Takao Sakurai. Anyone else seen it? If so, what did you think of the decision? Am I the only one who thinks Sakurai may've been hosed?
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #330
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Davila was an excellent technical boxer. Just a bit too lacking physically to ever really cut it against the top dogs.

Another one I watched semi-recently was Lionel Rose's title defense against Takao Sakurai. Anyone else seen it? If so, what did you think of the decision? Am I the only one who thinks Sakurai may've been hosed?
I have seen it, its a really good fight Sakurai is setting traps behind his right jab and Rose has to really grit it out to win IMO, I had Rose edging it but it was desperatly close. Sakurai really impressed me, and it was a great fight.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum