Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #331
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Rose had a few close calls as champion.Sakurai, Rudkin, Castillo...

Probably should have moved up after the Rudkin fight.Absorbing those punches from olivares while really struggling with the weight ruined him.
lora is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #332
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Rose had a few close calls as champion.Sakurai, Rudkin, Castillo...

Probably should have moved up after the Rudkin fight.Absorbing those punches from olivares while really struggling with the weight ruined him.
He ground them out though, and don't forget Sakurai, Rudkin and Castillo were top level fighters, tough defences for anyone IMO.

The weight-draining really showed int he Rudkin fight as he faded down the stretch, he never faded quite so drastically like that IMO, but Rudkin had a small hand in it.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #333
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Yeah no doubt.

Rose was a superb boxer and that Bantam era was packed from top to bottom with quality.
lora is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #334
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah no doubt.

Rose was a superb boxer and that Bantam era was packed from top to bottom with quality.
Rose was qulaity to watch, enchanting to watch even, such a pleasing style to watch.

Do you know what became of Sakurai after he fought Rose, seemed a talented counterpuncher, thought he could have done some good things
Old 05-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #335
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Joey Giardello vs Dick Tiger III

The most complete film of this fight I have seen features 11 rounds all full, but some rounds have commentary and others are shot from a different angle with just the crowd sound. Anyone know of a more full copy? or the full fight?

I love this performance, such a brilliant technical display - matador vs bull sorta stuff.

Giardello starts it fast with some really nice left hand work as he moves laterally. He jabs and hooks of the jab and when he sees the opening sets his feet and lands fast combinations before zooting back out of range. He really controlls the distance exceptionally well and Tiger is made to miss wildly with his hooks as Giardello is just that half a step out of range. But Giardello wasnt running it was a technician-masterclass, as at times he would see Tiger step forward, then Joey would fire off a combination catching Tiger as he came in. Really wonderful stuff. The first third of the fight is in this pattern.

My film is missing the middle rounds and restarts in the 9th.

Giardello is still looking in controll but Tiger closes the distance down better in this round, he up's his workrate and works his way inside and lands some nice eye-catching hooks. Giardello is still countering well but Tiger is out-working him here.

Giardello re-establishs controll in the 10th and he starts to move laterally more, he really catches Tiger out with feints from here on in as he feints Tiger out of position then bangs home a hard jab. Just really marvellous stuff, boxing artistry at its best. In the 11th, Giardello becomes not just an artist but a wizard as he really showcases his defence, he controlls the orund but Tiger backs him into a corner, Giardello swiftly uns Tiger dodging all of the shots Tiger throws at him by moving his head and getting of the ropes by spinning round Tiger using his feet. Was unbelievable! After this Giardello keeps the movement up and just dominates, out jabbing Tiger and just doing all the stuff mentioned above. Just rounds off a great display.

From the rounds I watched I gave 10 to Giardello and only 1 to Tiger.

Giardello WUD15 Tiger

Eusebio Pedroza vs Rocky Lockridge II

Haven't seen the first fight and was waiting to watch it first before watching this, but lately I have been interested in Pedroza so put this on.

Was really impressed with Pedroza though.

Pedroza starts early with nice movement behind a solid jab, Lockridge cant pin him down and Pedroza wins a close round. After that the fight heats up. Lockridge gets the 2nd round as he bobs into range and bangs Pedroza's body keeping him pinned to the ropes, although Pedroza seems comfortable there. Its fought in close and Pedroza lands some nice counters but Lockridge is very busy. After this despite the bout being fought in the same position Pedroza is able to land some very hard counters on Lockridge on the inside and takes the rounds. I was impressed with Pedroza's ring gneralship he always looked in controll and knew what needed to be done, after Lockridge had some sucess Pedroza would come on strong to overrule the sucess. Very impressive stuff.

That continued till the 6th when Pedroza upped his workrate and landed some nasty hooks and uppercuts that drove back Lockridge, really well timed display of aggresion that again made Pedroza look in complete command. Lockridge responded well by keeping Pedroza on the ropes in the next round and landed some sharp shots to take the round. In the 8th pedroza really went into the high gears and began to move about and peppered Lockridge with hard combinations to head and body. But took the next round off and Lockridge was able to stay inside and take it.

In the 10th Pedroza bossed the inside work with hard counterpunches with his back to the ropes. Real impressive stuff, but gaain after his sucess he gave the next round away as he allowed ocridge to outwork him inside.

My film was missing rounds 12 and 13.

In round 14 Pedroza again counterpunched inside and had sucess. In the 15th looking to close the show on a positive pedroza took centre ring and pushed Lockridge back with his combinations and better jab, as both men went for it.

Pedroza: 1,3,4,5,6,8,10,14,15
Lockridge:2,7,9,11
Total: 146-141 Pedroza (9-4-2)

Pedroza WUD15 Lockridge

Wilfred Benitez vs Leroy Hafey

Brilliant to see a young Benitez. He was phenomenal. Abit more aggresive than he later became, and had abit of a reputation as a puncher. Also Floyd Patterson was co-commentating on this, and tipped him for stardom, although he didnt seem to know who he was.

Hafey looked a fairly solid operater as he applied pressure in the form of stepping in with ripping hooks to the body. He was pressuring Benitez throughout and never let up.

Benitez was phenomenal early using his jab and left hook to controll the range and figure the more experianced hafey out, this was benitez's 14th fight and Hafeys 56th. In the 4th benitez upped his game and began shifting angles brilliantly and raining conbinations onto Hafey. He brilliantly would step one way then slide back across then took advanatge of the openings he had created, such advanced boxing for a 16 year old. His left hook was phenomenal but as Don Dunphy noted his right hand was also very potent. He looked to finish Hafey off but couldnt, but that didnt stop him landing everything on Hafey.

I gave benitez every round.

Benitez WUD8 Hafey

Last edited by GPater11093; 05-29-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #336
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Young Corbett III WPTS Jackie Fields.

This is the fight Corbett lifted he world's welterweight title in, and he looks epic. I would say he is a far smarter fighter than he is ever given credit for, here turning in a mostly backfoot performance, repeatedly bringing the granite-chinned Fields onto some of the most devastating straight-lefts i've ever seen thrown out of a southpaw stance. He can't seem to miss with this punch, which he does vary beautifully, sometimes throwing it straight over, sometimes with a little more width, sometimes an uppercut to the body, sometimes to the jaw. He doesn't have much of a jab, but he does sometimes paw out a range-finder to make a one-two.

Fields has a better jab, but out-fighting is not his game. Despite decent straight punches and a straight-backed out-boxing style, he tries to come inside, where he works his opponent's body whilst being really naughty with the head. He leads with his head on some occasions, which is all up in Corbett's face every time be pushes him to the ropes. Despite his massive back and stocky frame, Corbett does come off worse inside, and appears to be the weaker of the two. Fields is exceptionally rugged and tough and his punch-resistance is insane.

Corebett is very lively on his feet and good at making room for his punches. This may be the difference as Fields is caught flush again and again coming in. A longer distance may have suited him better, although he was starting to tire himself by the end. In the final round, Cobrett not only out-boxed Fields from the outside, but also dominated indisde for the first time, mauling back and pushing Fields around a bit.

Corbett: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10

Field: 7, 9

Even: 6, 8

The referee had this fight closer, giving fields the 5th, 6t, 7th and 9th with the 8th even. I thought this was generous. Fields did not land the more hurtful punche in any of the rounds.

One thing about this fight, McLarnin's stock takes a rocket. His KO1 of Corbett always looked like one of the best knockout wins in history on paper, but how he smashed out this bulldog in a round is anyone's guess.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 05-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #337
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Hilario Zapata vs Jung-Koo Chang I

Always tipped in controversy and Chang is generally thought to have triumphed, I watched it before and had Chang winning quite comfortably but I have changed my view abit now.

Chang starts well behind his jab, this round really sets the scene and tone of the fight, Chang tries to jab his way in early but this gives Zapata time to pick him off with some nice counters, so Chang starts to time rushes into Zapata and land hard hooks whilst up close. Chang does better in the second as he starts to throw the jab to get his range then throw the right whilst stepping into the southpaw stance so he gets more reach on his right, works well on Zapata, because Chang is able to close the distance really well and takes the round with his rushes. The third is again similar but I feel Zapata lands the better shots as he is able to counter Chang with stinging uppercuts and nice hooks.

The fourth is abit of a change from the general flow of the fight as Zapata establishes the round at long range and picks Chang off, particular with a long straight left which he excells at. When Chang does close the distance Zapata stays tight and lands some cracking counters whilst in the pocket and takes the round well. Zapata does the same in the fifth but Chang starts to figure it out abit better near the end of the round and has sucess with his rushes once again. Chang forces the pace well in the sixth as he rushes into Zapata with his fast combo's, it must be hell for a defensive technician like Zapata to have a guy rushing at him in an odd rhythm at him.

In the seventh Zapata takes his time and is really patient as he focusses more on defence, he almost exclusivly counterpunches in this round and has sucess as he is able to completly concentrate on neutralising Chang's rushes. Chang looks quite scrappy in this round. Again, in the eigth Zapata focusses on defence but he seems to have really let his workrate dropped and now forgets about counters and now purely focusses on defence, as he seems to do in all his fights for periods. Chang again looks scrappy but it does not matter as he takes the round because of Zapata's inactivity.

In the ninth both guys get back to form and Chang's work is less scrappy but Zapata comes back with some lovely counters, just Chang is able to stay inside for longer and takes a close round. In the tenth Zapata shows he is the better 'boxer' as he moves around well picking Chang off with his long straight punches and a sublime lead uppercut. When Chang does step inside some well-placed counterpunches are waiting for him and Chang struggles to hit Zapata. This was the clearest round of the fight. Zapata, being Zapata, then regresses in the next round as he allows Chang to get inside and land his hooks, Zapat fares well but Chang is abit to much for him on the inside and it is a fairly clear round for Chang.

Again in the twelth Zapata concentrates on his defence and lets Chang get ahead with his rushes in to range, nearer the end of the round Zapata takes controll with some nice jabs but fails to build on his sucess. In the thirteenth Zapata is beautiful to watch, he takes mid-ring and lands long straight combo's on Chang and when Chang looks to get isnide he is picked off wonderfully. And when Chang gets through those punches Zapata stands and trades with him making use of his faster and sharper shots. Chang seizes back the iniative in the last two as he is able to close the distance and make it a scrappy affair, but the rounds are quite close. Although in the fourteenth round Zapata steps away from Chang into the referee, and the ref pushes Zapata back into Chang.

I think a little to much of the 'robbery' is made in this fight. It was very close and I only thought there were 6 clear rounds for either guy, the rest were all competitve and close. I think both guys acquitted themselves very well and thats why it is one of my favrouite fights. Be interesting to see the rest of your guys scorecards, as it was hard to score, and your thoughts on how clean a victory it was for Chang.

The clear rounds, I felt were the 2nd, 6th and 11th for Chang; and the 4th, 10th and 10th for Zapata. As I said, all the rest of the rounds were close.

I was actually impressed with Chang's jab in this fight as he used it to establish the range for his rushes, and the way he got inside with the straight right was very impressive. I thought Zapata's uppercuts were very effective in this fight and looked sharp and hard.

Zapata: 1,3,4,7,10,13
Chang: 2,5,6,8,9,11,12,14,15
Total: 144-141 Chang (9-6)

Zapata WSD15 Chang

McGrain that Corbett vs Fields sounds very interesting indeed, and I am not forgetting about Johnson vs Machen, will give it a watch in a bit.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #338
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Never worry lad, i'm happy with your original post on the matter, you don't have to rewatch.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #339
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Never worry lad, i'm happy with your original post on the matter, you don't have to rewatch.
I probably will watch it pretty soon anyway.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #340
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

McGrain, you seen Zapata-Chang I? Whats your views on it?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #341
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I've only seen II, which I liked very much.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #342
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I've only seen II, which I liked very much.
I havent seen that one. Supposed to be a weird ending.

I think Chang is slightly green for the first fight with Zapata, he hasnt quite been able to blend his whirlwind style with his clever boxing, after the first fight he seems to do that.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #343
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

I think i'll rewatch Chang zapata and score it once i move house in a couple weeks.Everything is packed away right now, which is why the kalule uploads on youtube have dried up you'll be dying to know.

My memory of it was chang won most of the first ten rounds and then Zapata came back into it late, just a bit too late.It was certainly a hard fought competitive bout, but one chang should have won imo.

Chang apparently carried a foot/leg injury into the fight that hampered his training badly, but went ahead with the fight anyway.Make f that what you will though, zapta had his issues for the rematch as well.
lora is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #344
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think i'll rewatch Chang zapata and score it once i move house in a couple weeks.Everything is packed away right now, which is why the kalule uploads on youtube have dried up you'll be dying to know.
Lora, I was beginning to think you werent human. Just some boxing computer.

Quote:
My memory of it was chang won most of the first ten rounds and then Zapata came back into it late, just a bit too late.It was certainly a hard fought competitive bout, but one chang should have won imo.
I disagree with that. I thought Zapata took the early rounds and the mid-late rounds, but Chang closed very well and took the mid rounds. But alot of it was open to interpretation so i can see why you thought that.

Quote:
Chang apparently carried a foot/leg injury into the fight that hampered his training badly, but went ahead with the fight anyway.Make f that what you will though, zapta had his issues for the rematch as well.
Never heard that, his movement and that seemed fine in the fight.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #345
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think i'll rewatch Chang zapata and score it once i move house in a couple weeks.Everything is packed away right now, which is why the kalule uploads on youtube have dried up you'll be dying to know..
You got a YT channel now? Link me in you fool!

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum