Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #406
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Yeah, it's a great right hand when he sits down on it, how many people dropped Bonavena? But he also had a nice short right, a sneaky right for when he didn't really have the gap but wanted to keep Oscar down. It's a really impressive display, top drawer experienced boxing by an experienced boxer.

I'll make Machen-Summerlin my next upload. You'll be pleasantly surprised, Summerlin looks way way better than you might imagine.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #407
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I've just watched the 1st Marquez/Pacquiao fight again, tough tough fight to score, on the night i went with Marquez big time but now i've swung to Pacquiao just, i had it 115/113....with 5 rounds to Marquez...4 to Pacquiao & 3 even. I maybe 1st time round leant towards Marquez in some rounds just due to the fact that he was still there after that nightmare 1st round & countered beautifully thoughout the fight & that maybe why one of the judges had it 115/110 to Marquez.

But it was a tough on & i think Pacquiao won it by the 10/6 i gave him for the 1st round. anyway here's my round scores.

Pacquiao/JJM

1)...10/6
2)...10/9
3)...10/10
4)...10/10
5)...9/10
6)...9/10
7)...10/9
...9/10
9)...10/10
10)..10/9
11)..9/10
12)..9/10

115/113......to Pacquiao
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #408
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

The later rounds are the controversial ones IMO. It's one you have to concentrate on to get a reliable score-card.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #409
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrymariti View Post
The later rounds are the controversial ones IMO. It's one you have to concentrate on to get a reliable score-card.
Did your score alter much at all from watching the fight recently compared too when it was fought?
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #410
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 31447

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
I've just watched the 1st Marquez/Pacquiao fight again, tough tough fight to score, on the night i went with Marquez big time but now i've swung to Pacquiao just, i had it 115/113....with 5 rounds to Marquez...4 to Pacquiao & 3 even. I maybe 1st time round leant towards Marquez in some rounds just due to the fact that he was still there after that nightmare 1st round & countered beautifully thoughout the fight & that maybe why one of the judges had it 115/110 to Marquez.

But it was a tough on & i think Pacquiao won it by the 10/6 i gave him for the 1st round. anyway here's my round scores.

Pacquiao/JJM

1)...10/6
2)...10/9
3)...10/10
4)...10/10
5)...9/10
6)...9/10
7)...10/9
...9/10
9)...10/10
10)..10/9
11)..9/10
12)..9/10

115/113......to Pacquiao
Dont have the round by round score but the last time i watched that fight i had it 113-112 for Pac.
bladerunner is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2010, 04:00 AM   #411
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
Did your score alter much at all from watching the fight recently compared too when it was fought?
The first time I watched it I didn't score it, I don't think. Since, I've scored it for Marquez by a point or two each time, IIRC.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #412
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Marcel vs Arguello

First look at Marcel for me and I am very impressed, and the fight was great.

Marcel really is impressive early as he keeps his right hand a threat for Arguello, it is Marcel’s main offensive tool but he also uses it as a defensive tool. He keeps feinting keeping Arguello off-balance and Marcel looks to land the right over Arguello’s left hand. He does this successfully. On defence he uses the right hand as his counter punch. His slick head movement makes this effective as he moves laterally and when Arguello pins him down he goes in the pocket and counters well. His other effective tool was his left hook which he used to keep Arguello aware that he has two hands and when Arguello focuses too much on Marcel’s’ right hand, he brought in the left hook to catch Arguello.

I really liked Marcel though, not quite what I expected. A bit more unorthodox than I thought he would be. He used angles well but looked to draw his man in, counter inside then use angles to set up offence, he would also circle round and bring in right leads, pivot off them and look for openings from another angle. It was really impressive stuff and he did it well.

Arguello himself was not too shabby in this fight, the only glaring flaw I seen in his game, compared to him when he was older, was that his balance hadn’t quite been mastered. There was a few times when Marcel caught him as he came ‘outside his footwork base’ as he went forward and Marcel capitalised on this. I also felt Arguello brought pressure in this fight really well, and was able to pin down Marcel with combinations especially in the late-mid rounds. The other thing I don’t think Arguello had quite mastered yet, was the ability to go through the gears, he looked slightly one-paced in this fight.

Now for the fight. Marcel starts well keeping Arguello off-balance with the right lead and constant feinting; I felt Arguello nicked the second round with some sharp combinations. The third was a superb round. Arguello stunned his man but Marcel came roaring back, reminiscent of round 8 in Jofre vs Medal I. After that Marcel really took over with his right hand and lateral motion, one thing I did notice is that after every bit of success Arguello had Marcel would then up the gears and pick up his game to get back in control. In the mid-late rounds Arguello really started to pick up his pace and Marcel started to falter and Arguello had a string of clear rounds and seemed to be heading for command. In the 12th, actually mid-way through it, Marcel got his second wind and resumed control again. As WhatARock says this is probably the most impressive second-wind in boxing. Just amazing. Marcel really closed the show with a big 15th round where he stunned Arguello.

Scorecard

Arguello:2,8,9,10,11
Marcel: 1,3,4,5,6,7,12,13,14,15
Total: 145-140 Marcel (10-5)

Marcel vs Shibata

Again Marcel really impressed me in this. And again it was a cracking fight. Really good tactical/technical thriller with some really good exchanges and nice adjustments mid-fight.

In the early rounds both men were feeling each other out, Marcel was boxing at range using his jab and coming in with right hands, Shibata was waiting patiently to counter at mid-range as Marcel came in. Marcel was the first to establish dominance as he figured out Shibata wanted it at mid-range and decided to keep it long. Shibata struggled here and only started getting success again when he began to lead, and this made the fight hot up with some really nice exchanges where both men were landing hard punches and combinations, Shibata’s shots were more compact but Marcel was slightly quicker so it was very even. After that Marcel took over on the inside and in the exchanges with his more precise punching and higher work-rate. Shibata’s face was a mess throughout as Marcel was fairly careless with his head and lost a point in the 6th.

I was impressed in the way Marcel can shift gears and range so easily. The way he ups the pace when he has to really is great, and he is just as comfortable on the inside as he is at range. And this helped him here, as he was able to adjust with what Shibata was doing really well, and was better inside than Shibata was on the outside.

Shibata did impress but he seemed to be easily persuaded into the counter-puncher role in the bout, when he led, he had success. But it seemed at times that Marcel ‘convinced’ him to be the counter-puncher, and it did not really work for him. He did seem a good fighter though, reminded me most of Saldivar, who he beat, I will have to watch that fight sometime.

Overall, though, I thought Marcel should have got the win as he was the ring-general in the bout and seemed one step ahead of Shibata.

Marcel: 1,3,5,7,8,9,11,12,13,15 1 P.D 6**
Shibata: 2,4,6*,10,14
Total: 144-140 Marcel (10-5)

• donates 10-8 round
  • ** donates point deduction for head butting

Last edited by GPater11093; 07-02-2010 at 12:02 PM.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #413
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Nice post GP.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #414
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Thanks McGrain.

You seen Marcel? A really good fighter, really impressive, I'm gonna say he is one of the most skilled Feathwerweights ever.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:03 AM   #415
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

GP you have the full fight of Marcel/Arguello? I thought only very shitty highlights existed.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:29 AM   #416
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Got it from raging_bull.

Fair quality, more than watcheable. 3 rounds are partial though, but you get enough of the gist of them. I have seen them highlights also.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #417
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Great report on Marcel - Arguello. I had it a little closer but I think you captured the overall theme of the fight great. When you watch this fight and see how good Marcel was, it's not really a knock on a young Arguello's resume. I believe Marcel gassed a bit against Duran (although the stoppage was ludicrous) and he did the same against Arguello. Veteran Arguello watchers may be waiting for a stoppage, but Marcel rebounded nicely (as well as an inexperienced Arguello maybe didn't close the show).

I watched Michael Spinks vs Eddie Mustafa Muhammad. Had it 146 - 140 for Spinks. I came away impressed with both men. I think Spinks always wins this fight but Mustafa was not in best possible shape and still put up a very good fight. Peak for peak I still think Spinks gets it because of consistency of effort. Mustafa showed a lot of heart in this fight. It didn't look like he'd get out of the 12th round. Spinks liked to follow thru with the elbow a lot, ala Mike Tyson, something I'd forgotten or hadn't picked up on a lot. Mustafa also complained to the ref of a thumb or open glove early in the fight and shortly thereafter his right eye closed up. Good fight with lots of skill.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #418
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Thanks McGrain.

You seen Marcel?.

The Duran fight is on YouTube.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #419
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
Great report on Marcel - Arguello. I had it a little closer but I think you captured the overall theme of the fight great. When you watch this fight and see how good Marcel was, it's not really a knock on a young Arguello's resume. I believe Marcel gassed a bit against Duran (although the stoppage was ludicrous) and he did the same against Arguello. Veteran Arguello watchers may be waiting for a stoppage, but Marcel rebounded nicely (as well as an inexperienced Arguello maybe didn't close the show).
Thanks.

I don't think the fight reflects bad on Arguello at all. Marcel really badly gassed, or was hurt, but came back with a feat of endurance only boxing can provide. Truly amazing comeback.

Marcel was a superb boxer, like I said before, so comfortable at any range or pace. One of the most relaxed boxers I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
The Duran fight is on YouTube.
You havent answered the question. I havent seen the Duran fight actually.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #420
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I've only seen the Duran fight.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum