boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #556
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Last night I watched Ali-Foster for the first time. Despite having seen just about all of the available Ali fights out there, I hadn't seen this, but was happy to see it on youtube (thanks McGrain).

Far from a great fight, but a very interesting one. Ali clearly saw no danger in Foster, and after a round of dancing and gauging Foster's speed and movement, setlled into pressuring Foster in his own non-Frazieresque way.

He'd put himself up against Foster and push him, paw at him, shoulder him, but never really maul him..........EXCEPT when Foster had the temerity to cut him under the left eye. Ali got ****ed off then and opened up, flooring Foster at will in the fifth, four times total. He backed off a bit after that, dancing and playing with the light heavy champ.

This truly was a cat playing with a mouse, batting it around the kitchen and pretty much ending it when he pleased. Ali adopted a sort of mid-ring rope-a-dope, as we'd seen in other performances when he felt so non-threatened that he was okay with just covering up a bit in the pocket rather than get on his bike or going to the ropes. Fights like this, and tactics like this show how great Ali was at sizing up a situation and adopting the proper strategy, one that he intrinsically knew was right. Not many did it better.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #557
jaffay
New Orleans Hornets
ESB Addict

vCash: 215

Jones Jr. - Tarver I

116-112 Jones Jr.
jaffay is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #558
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ike Quartey vs. Oscar De La Hoya. Gonna post my card, just so an Oscar winning scorecard is up.

Round 1 goes to Oscar, and in my mind, its clear. Blocked 95% of Ike's shots, through the heavier blows, and landed with the better jabs. He also got a really good left hook/left uppercut combination in there at the 2 minute mark. I see this round given to Ike often. I find that a stretch.

Round 2 goes to Oscar as well. Its a close round, but Oscar gets the better work done. In a close round, who would you rather be at the end? I'd have rather been hit with what Ike landed than what Oscar did.

Round 3 to Oscar. I just don't see what Ike is landing that is worthy to raise above what Oscar is. He's working hard, throwing more, but every time Oscar opens up, it is good, hard, and thudding. Ike lands a good right or a jab here and there, then jabs Oscars gloves some more.

Round 4 to Oscar. This is the closest round so far. To sum it up: Ike jabbed alot, landed a low, low percentage, and Oscar got the better of the exchanges.

Round 5 to Ike. Ike starts to show it here: He really starts landing, and completely outboxes Oscar this round. Ike, clear as day.

Round 6 to Ike, 10-9. Both score knockdowns, but Ike follows his with a sustained barrage that wobbles Oscar. This gets Ike the round clearly.

Round 7 to Ike. More of the same stuff.

Round 8 to Ike. Oscar isn't throwing much, and Ike is looking spry. Oscar gets punched in the face for 2 minutes, tries to come on late, but it isn't nearly enough.

Round 9 to Ike. He just keeps jabbing, and Oscars several flurries arent enough to get past the consistent scoring of Quarteys lefts. Ike also gets a big right hand.

Round 10 to Oscar. He hurts Ike early with a left hook, and keeps a tenous hold through the remainder of the round. Throws more, lands a bit harder, and actually manages to jab with Ike in spots. Oscars round, clearly. He just tried much harder and landed much better.

Round 11 to Ike, close but clear. He outworked DLH too significantly to lose this frame, but Oscar hammered him once or twice against the ropes, and Ike didn't really land with much power, just his jab. Still, can't give this frame to Oscar, he took about 20 good jabs.

Round 12, as we know, big to Oscar, 10-8. Oscar won the fight with the 12th.

114-113 De La Hoya.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #559
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Some of you *******s watch this and let me know if it's running ok.It's been hell trying to upload because of DVD freezing meaning it won't edit properly.

ok, quick update for the few that are interested.

The disc is well and truly ****ed up, with almost every round after the 3rd having a couple of freezes that make it impossible to edit down onto youtube properly.The trusty Frank Fletcher fights that were on the disc are, alas, also ruined.
I'm guessing this happened when i moved flat a few months back and was somewhat lax in packing stuff properly, as disc was fine when i last watched it earlier this year.Hopefully this is a one off and not too much of my collection has been ruined.

3 options i suppose.

I could edit it round by round, but each would be in two or three parts, with likely between 10-20 seconds missing, maybe even close to a minute for a few rounds.This would ruin the fight to an extent and i'm not sure there are even enough people that would watch it to make it worth the extra time.Still, if anyone is desperate to see it, i'll do it...such is my selfless nature.

Or another member who uploads fights and has it( maybe McGrain, greatA, Sweet etc) could put it up if they can be bothered and when they have time.In return i'll take any requests on fights/fighters they want and upload whatever i can find.

Or i supose i could just give up in dismal failure, but this has ****ed me off now, with the effort i put into finding it and trying to fix the damn thing.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #560
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Wonder what lora will do?

I vote that you will do option 3.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #561
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

nonsense.This is a classic and a legendary moment in African boxing history.Getting it onto the internet for all to view will be on par with the recent Langford footage.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #562
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:

nonsense.This is a classic and a legendary moment in African boxing history.Getting it onto the internet for all to view will be on par with the recent Langford footage.

Of course.

However its the Fletcher fights we should be mourning, the equivalent rarity of Greb footage. And some Scot's ******* scratched whilst moving flat. Careless ****.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #563
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
ok, quick update for the few that are interested.

The disc is well and truly ****ed up, with almost every round after the 3rd having a couple of freezes that make it impossible to edit down onto youtube properly.The trusty Frank Fletcher fights that were on the disc are, alas, also ruined.
I'm guessing this happened when i moved flat a few months back and was somewhat lax in packing stuff properly, as disc was fine when i last watched it earlier this year.Hopefully this is a one off and not too much of my collection has been ruined.

3 options i suppose.

I could edit it round by round, but each would be in two or three parts, with likely between 10-20 seconds missing, maybe even close to a minute for a few rounds.This would ruin the fight to an extent and i'm not sure there are even enough people that would watch it to make it worth the extra time.Still, if anyone is desperate to see it, i'll do it...such is my selfless nature.

Or another member who uploads fights and has it( maybe McGrain, greatA, Sweet etc) could put it up if they can be bothered and when they have time.In return i'll take any requests on fights/fighters they want and upload whatever i can find.

Or i supose i could just give up in dismal failure, but this has ****ed me off now, with the effort i put into finding it and trying to fix the damn thing.
I was thoroughly pumped to see the fight and appreciate your efforts.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #564
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

I watched Alfonso Zamora vs Jorge Lajuan. It is a sizzler.

Zamora had been out since his loss to Zarate and does seem a bit rusty and lacking in sharpness, but it could be due to Lajuan's awkward defensive skills and movement. However, Zamora is still very busy and aggressive and throwing big bombs. Lajun shows some superb defence, in almost Zapata-esque qualities, he keeps low with his hands high picking off shots and sliding underneath them, and coming back with lovely left hook counters and long rights. Lajuan also shows a pretty good jab from the outside, but generally Zamora's aggression and workrate tends to stifle LaJuan's offence early, although he is still able to counter superbly.

As the rounds progressed Lajuan seemed to take more and more controll, keeping his movement going and landing hard counters. He wasn't being overly defensive which kept it a great fight as both guys exchanged quite freely at times, and Zanora was able to land the odd hard punch.

The turning point was in the eight where Lajuan was able to back up Zamora for the first time with crisp left hooks and long right hands and he really did put the hurt on Zamora and punched him round the ring. He continued it in the ninth also. In the tenth Zamora came out looking to make a do or die last stand, and landed some hard shots that rocked Lajuan, but Lajuan kept pressing his advantage and eventually Zamora just folded and fell down from a not very hard looking right, but just collapsed in the corner and stayed down. Justifiably so, he showed superb heart trying for every minute of the fight to turn it around but this time could just not find that one big punch.

Lajuan really impressed me. He was a tall Panamanian stylist in the mould of an orthodox Zapata. He showed good head and foot movement and kept his guard high at all times. He showed a fine offence and a superb counter-offence.

Zamora:2,4
Lujuan: 1,3,5,6,7,8*,9
Total: 88-82 Lujuan (7-2)

* denotes a 10-8 round due to Lujuan's dominance.

EDIT: Just watched Zarate vs Zamora again. I love that fight.

Anyway watch the ending of it when Zamora goes down and the towel comes flying in. Zamora's Dad then enters the ring, your presuming he is away to help his son, but he calmly walks over to Zarate's corner and punches Zarate's manager in the face and a riot ensues. Pay attention the next time you watch it, I was creased up by just the way that Zamora Sr casually strolls over.

Last edited by GPater11093; 11-07-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #565
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Watched Olivares vs Castillo II. Better than there first one IMO.

Castillo starts boxing very early and takes the early rounds behind a sharp left jab and good follow up shots. In the third Olivares starts to introduce some feints and lures and really lands some hard shots, but in the next few rounds gets away from that and starts to outwork Castillo in the exchanges. Olivares leads and starts the combo's and Castillo waits looking to jab then follow up with any counters but Olivares starts to slightly swamp that style of fighting.

In the seventh Castillo starts to 'be first' with his counters, throwing them almost as soon as they enter Olivares's mind and this has a much better effect as he is able to get that counter jab off at optimal range and follow up with hard counters.

The bout turns super exciting in the ninth as they get inside and swap punches on the inside in some superb in fighting. Both have there successes. But I was very much impressed by Castillo, his positioning inside was impeccable. He kept quite low and in the middle of Olivares's chest with his hands protecting either side of his body, and almost impossible to hit, but still able to rattle of his own punches. And because he was low he was able to pivot and change direction easily and bring Olivares round with him. Castillo was superb with his counter-punches on the outside though and really took the wind out of Olivares's combo's with his own left hook's.

The bout stayed an inside war until the referee stopped it in the fourteenth because of Olivares's cuts.

Olivares:3,4,5,6,11
Castillo: 1,2,7,8,9,10,12,13
Total: 125-122 Castillo (8-5)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #566
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Frazier II

Round 1 goes to Ali. He just dances and throws like he did when he was young, scoring crisp, sharp shots. Frazier doesn't get much off.

Round 2 to Ali. Its actually a pretty competitive round, with Ali landed more throughout but Joe getting home a couple really hard left hooks, but Ali definitely seals the deal at the end by clearly hurting Joe.

Round 3 to Ali. Joe lands one good, glancing left hook, but is otherwise completely smothered inside by Ali's clinching. When they separate, its Ali doing all the good work.

Round 4 also to Ali. This one was the closest yet, but more because Ali truly appeared under pressure. Frazier still failed to land much of note beyond a big right hand early, but he began to cut the ring better, and Ali begins to have to work quite hard indeed to stay outside and to smother inside.

Round 5 to Frazier. This one was razor close, but Ali was again under tremendous pressure and Frazier began to land, with power. Ali rallied late, and scored with several very nice right hands, but I give this frame to Frazier on generalship and power punching.

Round 6 to Ali. Joe gets ****y in this round, and gets caught flush with some zingers. Frazier is heating up, but getting hit way too much. Ali landing 4 punches to every one of Fraziers. This fight is making me think a younger, peak Ali doesn't struggle much with a peak Frazier. Joe has nothing for him through 6.

Round 7 to Frazier. Again, its very close, but Frazier cut the ring well, and landed several really solid left hooks. Ali still landed more, but it looked more like arm punching. This is the best round Frazier has had thus far.

Round 8 to Frazier on the strength of his body work. Ali really takes the round off, and Frazier scores well to the midsection.

Round 9 to Ali. Clear as day. Frazier landed nothing of note, and was treated like a punching bag.

Round 10 to Ali. Frazier landed a big left hook early, but then spent most of the round chasing and hitting the the body in the clinch. His big left hooks later either miss or go off Ali's right glove. Ali scores more, and it is of the pitter patter variety, but one big shot by Joe doesn't outweigh it for me.

Just heard on the commentary a young Larry Merchant had Ali winning FOTC. At least Larry got better with age.

Round 11 to Ali, easily. He landed more, landed better. All the good stuff.

Round 12 to Frazier. He puts in a ton of effort, throws alot more than he usually does, and lands some real hard hooks. But he was easily beaten.

8-4 Ali. He won with difficulty, but clearly. Those who say Frazier won this fight, I seriously question their scoring criteria. Perez allowed Ali to clinch, yes, but you score the fight as it unfolds, not how you thought it should have. Cant give points to Joe for getting tied up because you thought it was unfair.

So, yeah. Easily Ali's fight. Gives great evidence that in his prime, he'd have been able to get past Frazier, as well.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #567
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Watched Olivares vs Castillo II. Better than there first one IMO.

Castillo starts boxing very early and takes the early rounds behind a sharp left jab and good follow up shots. In the third Olivares starts to introduce some feints and lures and really lands some hard shots, but in the next few rounds gets away from that and starts to outwork Castillo in the exchanges. Olivares leads and starts the combo's and Castillo waits looking to jab then follow up with any counters but Olivares starts to slightly swamp that style of fighting.

In the seventh Castillo starts to 'be first' with his counters, throwing them almost as soon as they enter Olivares's mind and this has a much better effect as he is able to get that counter jab off at optimal range and follow up with hard counters.

The bout turns super exciting in the ninth as they get inside and swap punches on the inside in some superb in fighting. Both have there successes. But I was very much impressed by Castillo, his positioning inside was impeccable. He kept quite low and in the middle of Olivares's chest with his hands protecting either side of his body, and almost impossible to hit, but still able to rattle of his own punches. And because he was low he was able to pivot and change direction easily and bring Olivares round with him. Castillo was superb with his counter-punches on the outside though and really took the wind out of Olivares's combo's with his own left hook's.

The bout stayed an inside war until the referee stopped it in the fourteenth because of Olivares's cuts.

Olivares:3,4,5,6,11
Castillo: 1,2,7,8,9,10,12,13
Total: 125-122 Castillo (8-5)
I need to get this fight! Been wondering about it for awhile...I wonder if the third fight was filmed? Should be...
dpw417 is online now  Top
Old 12-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #568
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Finally finished the long, arduous process that is watching lora's upload of Kalambay/Kalule (although I'm sure it was nothing in comparison to actually uploading it). What a fight this was. Tremendously difficult to score, really depending on what you favor. Kalambay's sharp, precision shots and counters against Kalule's light-handed volume punching. Three knockdowns in the fight: two against Kalule, one against Kalambay, which all in all were the deciding factors in a battle this close.

I had it 115-113 for Kalambay. The knockdown against him in the last round looked a tad off, but was difficult to see from the angle what happened. I believe his feet/knee may've been tripped up while he was attempting another counter-uppercut, which is a surefire way to go down. Either way, it was counted, and thus I counted it for Kalule. That said, I still only gave him the round 10-9, as I felt Kalambay got the better of the work otherwise. I might need to re-watch that round, actually, come to think of it.

Anyways, an excellent two-way technical face off that everybody should find the time to watch and score.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #569
CANNONBALL
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
Whitaker-Chavez (again)

Didnt do a round by round this time, have done before tho, just wanted to watch the 2 best fighters since Leonard going at it.

Whitaker definitely won, Chavez never won a clear round in the entire fight, round 2 was probably his best tho... Pea won rds 3, 7 & 8 big time & has a claim for every other round as he was in every round.
I had never seen this fight until recently when I decided to watch it and score it for myself. I scored for Whittaker 116-114.........Perhaps, becuz over the years I have read what a robbery it was, I was a little kind to Chavez. Perhaps i will re-watch it and see what scores i come up with 2nd time around.

By the way, i thought Leonard beat Hagler
CANNONBALL is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #570
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Kalambay vs Miodrag Perunovic.uploaded to youtube.

One of Kalambay's last really good performances, circa 36 years old.Dismantles Perunovic(a well-schooled, tidy poor man's Albert Davila type)with a beautiful assortment of punches from mid-range.Top-notch slipping and countering.

Stoppage was maybe a bit premature, but not too bad considering the facial damage sustained.
lora is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum