boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #856
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

The Bassa fight i last uploaded was VOB and stuff like Graham vs Kalule.I just use the free avs video editor to convert and/or cut it into parts it.loss of quality isn't usually too noiceable, though you get a little label that comes up every so often in the centre of the output.
lora is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #857
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Excellent.

I know footage of him sparring with Arguello exists and is available. Shame it isn't on YT.
I would love to see.....

I watched his last fight again today (the highlights, 5 minutes).....against Octavio Gomez, Jofreīs skills was still there in 76....He doesnīt seem to have the same speed and strenght, but his skills looked very good against a decent fighter.....Itīs a shame there isnīt footage of the fight with Saldivar.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #858
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

The Jofre and Arguello sparring footage is form an exhibition they did at the IBHOF, with both men past their best and it was a big muck around.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #859
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Forrest vs Mayorga II
actually had forrest edging this
and Forrest-Mora II great performance by Forrest
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #860
Lunny

vCash:

Hearns-Leonard 2

115-112

Hearns winning 6 rounds, 1 draw, Leonard 5.

2 Hearns KDs.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #861
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Watched one of Zora Folley's big wins against George Chuvalo. An interesting fight and Chuvalo you have to say messed up from the very beginning by trying to box with Folley behind a shoulder roll stance. Reminiscent of Gatti's embarrassing effort against Mayweather although Chuvalo certainly didn't take the pasting that Gatti took. The big factor in this bout was actually Folley's jab and not his vaunted right hand which Chuvalo absorbed to seemingly no effect. Chuvalo stayed at range and did not attempt his usual bodypunching strategy behind a high held guard which had brought him his success. Chuvalo must have been given some very bad advice as it was pressure that often foiled Folley's boxing.

Chuvalo did have a few moments with his left hooking but it was Folley's jabbing that carried the bout, again showing what a master-boxer he truly was for a heavyweight.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #862
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 46300

Chris John vs. Daud Cino Yordan

(top ten FOTY - had everything except knockdowns)

Round 1: 10-9 John clear, feel-out round, countering well
Round 2: 10-9 John clear, boxing slick & smooth
Round 3: 10-9 John close, back and forth, John cleaner
Round 4: 10-9 Yordan clear, stifling pressure
Round 5: 10-9 John close, outboxing and landing cleaner
Round 6: 10-9 John close, back and forth infighting, John "Leonards" it late
Round 7: 10-9 Yordan clear, effective aggression and stunned John
Round 8: 10-9 Yordan clear, excellent pressure
Round 9: 10-9 Yordan clear, activity and busy jab
Round 10: 10-9 John clear, counter punching and stunned Yordan slightly
Round 11: 10-9 John clear, counter punching
Round 12: 10-9 Yordan clear, aggression

115-113 Chris "The Dragon" John, successfully defending his WBA featherweight title for the 14th consecutive time.

Take that, fogeys. I'd bet dollars to donuts that if any of you actually watched this you'd admit it was every bit as good as anything mentioned on this page (or the last)

...but of course you never will.

(barring Addie, BE, and the other whippersnappers who post in here...)
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #863
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Loads of these guys watch modern boxing.

But they're more likely to see Derry Matthews-Scott Lawton or John Simpson-Stephen Smith (robbed) for the simple reason that they are on at 10 on tv in Britain, not 4a.m on an internet stream, which we wouldn't look at anyway because it's illegal

Also, these gentlemen have the good grace not to talk about such fights on Classic

Can't speak for the Americans...
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 04-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #864
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 46300

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Loads of these guys watch modern boxing.

But they're more likely to see Derry Matthews-Scott Lawton or John Simpson-Stephen Smith (robbed) for the simple reason that they are on at 10 on tv in Britain, not 4a.m on an internet stream, which we wouldn't look at anyway because it's illegal

Also, these gentlemen have the good grace not to talk about such fights on Classic

Can't speak for the Americans...

Well dog my cat, I do believe I just got served...

Any-who...
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #865
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

nah, i know what you mean.

I got to tell you though, the way I watch modern boxing has become way, way more relaxed. There are only a half dozen fighters I will wait into the middle of the night for, and they are the ones I am a fan off who are also in significant fights.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #866
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

I watched Berto-Ortiz in full today. Good s****. Both guys blew their loads a little early, but man, some hard leather thrown in there. I can understand to some extent why everyone is excited over Ortiz at the moment. The guy mixed his shots up pretty well, and he absorbed some very hard right hands. He could move and slip a little better, and I felt that if he had gone to the body more he may have iced Berto, but he's definitely developing, and punching shorter, and more accurately.

Strangely this was a slugfest, and I expected a little more boxing. Ortiz and Berto both have pretty poor pawing rangefinder jabs.

Last edited by Swarmer; 04-18-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #867
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Brian Mitchell vs Jim McDonnell

A solid classy chessmatch for much of the first half, with McDonnell using lots of lateral movement and Mitchell patiently stalking while picking his counters.

McDonell's so-so offensive ability and general sharpness declines notably afterward, until he's eventually opting just to leap in and wing punches without any setup, which only allows the poised Mitchell to bang to the body, or counter him.

Didn't score it but felt Mitchell likely won most of the rounds(the inept Duke McKenzie actually has McDonell winning), though he didn't really have any big ones and didn't land a lot of headshots.All in all a classy, solid performance against one of his better challengers.Good defence and technical skills.

It's interesting to compare this with the Nelson vs McDonell fight.McDonell has more obvious early to mid success in that one, with Nelson much more reckless and sloppy than Mitchell.The end however displays his dangerous offensive ability with a fading McDonell being gradually brutalised.Mitchell doesn't come anywhere close to that savagery, but operates better from his comfort zone as far as controlling the whole fight is concerned, yet is never quite able to step up a gear and turn things into a real clinic.

Agree with most of this. I actually had it even after six and although it always felt like Mitchell was doing better over this spell, I don't see a card with Mitchell behind at the half way point as the end of the world...unless you meant Duke actually had McDonell winning?! I don't see how that could even be possible tbh, that would be mad.

Because as you say, Mitchell takes over big-time. I think it was a combination of several things, certainly conditioning was probably not one of them. Body shots played a factor. Even when Mitchell was losing rounds, he was landing body-shots that looked painful and sapping. Secondly, the pressure may have taken its toll. Mitchell is relentless. Third, McDonnell was actually being made to miss a fair bit even when he was fresh, by Mitchell's defence which doesn't recieve the attention it deserves. He shows good, varied head movement and i couldn't see any pattern - he presents a genuinely akward tartet from this point of view. As he inevitably tires, he becomes less accurate naturally. I think his more aggressive approach can be excused - indeed it paid divedends in the 11th and very nearly the 12th.

I agree with your one-gear point concerning Mitchell. He looks lke he's fighting 15, doesn't he?

MITCHELL: 1,2,3,7,8,9,10,12

MCDONNELL: 4,5,6,11

8-4 Mitchell.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #868
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Ricardo Lopez UD12 Kyung-Yun Lee.

I think this is an interesting fight for Lopez because we have a swarming, rough-housing opponent who wants to get all the way inside to break El Finito up. There's lots of "infighting", which for Lopez tends to constitute holding until the referee breaks them, but he does sometimes make space for punches at a middlish sort of looking range, and he does contain Lee very nicely in one way or another (including with some of his own rougher stuff). I think the "no infighting" thing is overstated a little bit when it comes to Lopez, though he doesn't exactly cover himself in glory here.

Lopez also copes well with his opponents infringments. Sometimes you wonder about his temprament a bit -whatever Showtime's sycofantic commentary might insist upon- but he does show a cool head here against a nasty line in headbutts with a pertty appauling refereee.

Of course, there is a caveat as there are with almost all Lopez opponents, and Lee does not have the size power, accuracy or cunning to really upset Ricardo. I just think Lee is an interesting poor-man's foil for certain names that get bandied about on the forum as shoe-ins to beat the little champ...because at the end of the day, a shut out is a perfectly reasonable card. I gave Lee only one round, the 8th. The judges had it 120-107, 118-110 and somehow 116-112.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #869
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Yeah, McKenzie had Jim winning the full fight.Needless to say he was a better fighter than commentator.
lora is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #870
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I actually find him OK as a commentator...and I think he was a wee bit underated as a fighter too. But I agree, that is nonsense that card. He also accused Mitchel of being a "face first fighter" which I found astonishing.

But he was active, and thought highly of his fellow Brit. A wee pass may be in order.

I found the great Harry Carpenter's commentary more offensive, for a man who prided himself on his even-handedness (up until "get in there Frank!" after which he had to admit his bias) that was extremely partisan.

Have you uploaded this one? I think I will if you haven't.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum