Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #871
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

No, not uploaded it.Not had much time recently.

Carpenter could be really bad.The first Graham Kalambay fight, Hope vs Benitez etc

He was better in the 70s though.
lora is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #872
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Carpenter could be really bad.The first Graham Kalambay fight, Hope vs Benitez etc.
You can't say that Lora, he died.

OK dude, i'll upload that fight tonight or tomorrow morning. Or Sunday or Monday
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #873
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

How do you think Mitchell vs Nelson would have gone?.
lora is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #874
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I personally prefer Mitchell, but I think you put your finger on it with the one-paced nature of Mitchell's attack. He won't be overwhelmed - to good and tough - but he's going to be slightly out-worked by a fighter who has more gears to shift through. In fact I feel kind of confident he would get generally out-fought.

I hold him in the highest regard though, I don't think he is a worst super-feather. Certainly not out-classed, just an awkward fight for him.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #875
UncleChris
Journeyman

A few recent watches, nothing too far out of the ordinary I don't believe:

Chacon - Boza Edwards II 113-113

Lopez - Lockridge I 115-112, tarnished due to Lopez getting about a four hour count when he went down

Lopez - Alvarez II 116-113

Marquez - Johnson I, a very close 94-93

Martinez - Williams I 115-114, what was that clown who had it 109-110 watching??

Vargas - Quartey 116-111, Quartey won every round he could be bothered to throw in bunches during.
UncleChris is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #876
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

Schmeling-Sharkey II(Rounds available)

I liked this one a lot. As far as the HW's go there aren't many good chessmatches, but I rather enjoyed what I saw of this one. Schmeling from what I saw was the clear winner. While Sharkey typically won exchanges of leads, and countered Schmeling's jab with his own, Schmeling was more effective at pressuring the fight, smothering Sharkey's right hand counter to his jab, and landing a pretty good 1-3 with regularity. Inside exchanges are pretty split. Schmeling's defense was effective, as i said before smothering Sharkey's right with his left side and elbow and parrying very well with a semi-mobile right hand very effectively. Sharkey gave him issues with a very tight and accurate lead, and some solid body punching but overall he wasn't moving enough with his head and allowed Schmeling to exploit angles on him too easily. Good stuff.

R1:Schmeling 10-9
R2:Schmeling 10-9
R9:Schmeling 10-9
R12:Sharkey 10-9
R15:Schmeling 10-9
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #877
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Henry Hank vs Johnny Persol

Really interesting fight.

Hank is such a great fighter to watch, he has lovely, smooth head movement that allows hi to slide into range and launch spiteful counter-punches and combinations. His left hand is dynamite but both hands pack a wallop and puts them together well to head and body. His main weakness is he doesn't concentrate well and takes breaks in the rounds, he is basically a more aggressive James Toney.

Persol seems to be a very well schooled boxer (he was a very highly decorated amateur), and only in his 13th bout here. He moves well, pecks nicely behind a left jab and keeps those mitts nice and high. You can see he has read the textbook, and that he is Gil Clancy trained. He picks his shots well, although his main offence is his left jab, he moves laterally well also. His weakness is he tends to over-reach or lunge as he throws the right, and doesn't put his shots together as well as he should, apart from this though he is very well schooled.

The bout is really interesting in the early goings and is a fascinating clash of styles, as Hank is the more flashy of the two biding his time and popping in with hard counters, whereas Persol is circling, gingerly, and working behind a consistent left hand.

At the mid-way point the fight develops into an all-action bout with some great exchanges and back and forth swings of momentum.

My scorecard

Hank: 1,2,5,6,7
Persol: 3,4,8,9,10
Total: 95-95 Draw (5-5)

Really recommend you give this a watch.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #878
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

^ I believe I uploaded that on WBVA haha
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #879
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

I think you did, much appreciated pal.

Whats your take on it.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #880
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
I think you did, much appreciated pal.

Whats your take on it.
Great exchanges and an excellent fight too. Some of Hanks counters are really stunning. I just wish the quality was a bit better for these old fights
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 04:48 AM   #881
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quality was good in my eyes, I seen all the action fine.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #882
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Joe Frazier vs Jerry Quarry I and II

Both fights are basically complete re-runs of each other.

In the first fight Quarry does well early doors with his aggressive counter-punching but Frazier busts through him and wears him down to stop him in the seventh.

The rematch is one of my favorite Heavyweight bouts.

Quarry does well with his counter-punching, working that body and throwing in a stiff right hand, but Joe really shows his skills in this bout. He is keeping the pressure on but he is staying at mid-range slipping and blocking shots before launching into brutal and ferocious counter-combinations, he also shows a lovely short right hand counter.

In the fourth round Frazier lands one of the most brutal left hooks I have ever seen, that causes Quarry to buckle, but he stays up but a left hook to the body drops him on the bell.

In the final round, Frazier doesn't want to hit Quarry, as he is gone but he relents and batters Jerry forcing Joe Louis to stop it.

Two great fights, genuinely two of my favorite Heavyweight bouts.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #883
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Just watched another fascinating fight.

Humberto Gonzalez vs Rolando Pascua

Coming into this Gonzalez was the hot shot young champion KO artist. He hadn't quite found the style that would later bring him success, with his boxing and finding angles but he carried dynamite in both hands and was not afraid to use it. At this point, it appeared to me, he had fallen slightly in love with his power and was always looking to take gusy out.

Pascua, this is the first time I have seen him, was a nice stand-up technician. He showed good control of distance, an educated right jab and solid combinations. He seems to have quite an instinctive defence ala Ken Buchanan, with awkward head movement, but everything was underpinned with good technical understanding.

Pascua starts out in the fight very well, as he controls the distance behind his right jab and pops combinations out to keep Gonzalez from closing the distance and to keep him off balance. What I particularly like is that Pasua throws 'off his punches' he turns that left cross into a right hook, he turns that right hook back into a left cross etc... Gonzalez is alightly plodding and looking for the big shots.

In the second Gonzalez has more sucess as he opens up a few angles with some nifty steps and gets in some solid shots but Pascua is keeping to his gameplan, and takes the third.

In the fourth Pascua comes out guns blazing and lands some quality combinations on Chiquita, but Chiquita's firepower shows and Pascua cannot get drawn into an exchange, despite being the more accurate and shorter puncher. Gonzalez also takes the fifth due to his heavier shots.

In the sixth, Pascua is back boxing but a wicked left cross really stuns Gonzalez as he comes forward and Gonzalez falls into a clinch that allows him to stay upright. Pascua sensing the kill opens up some room and fires in some sharp combinations to pick Gonzalez apart and hand him his first KO defeat.

I was really impressed with Pascua, looked a disciplined and sharp boxer. Does his fight with Castro exist?

Be interesting to see anyone elses take on this
Old 05-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #884
UncleChris
Journeyman

I've downloaded the above fight based on that excellent recommendation. I like watching Gonzalez, he was a kind of tier two take one to land one kind of a boxer, but sadly for him he lacked the requisite chin to make that style work! Made for good fights though and I'm yet to see a bad one of his.

Today's fights, I scored Hopkins-Wright 115-113 for Hopkins. An untidy fight lacking decisive punches which I had even after four, Wright won successive rounds in the middle before Hopkins took the key last three. Perhaps this was Wright's penalty for boxing at an inflated weight; he could have won this at 168.

Re-visited Jones' demolition of Toney. If anyone can tell me a fighter who used the lead left hook to better effect than Jones that night I'd like to hear about it. Masterful, but frustrating that Toney was so reluctant to let his hands go.

Also watched a 20 year old Marco Antonio Barrera in a triumph of matchmaking, when he stopped toguh and mobile Eddie Cook in the 9th in Dec 94 (same month as the Jones v Toney fight incidentally I think). Barrera was ahead against an always competitive Cook before turning the tide in a difficult ninth to land a solid right, smell blood and unleash a flurry to secure what to my eyes was a premature stoppage.

Also downloaded the Yuh - De Marco fight people are raving about, I'll hopefully get to that during the next few days.
UncleChris is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #885
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Yuh vs Demarco is a great fight.

I really like Gonzalez too, I prefe rhim when he was boxing though, he could find some lovely angles for his offence.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum