Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #1126
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Benitez vs Leonard is a close fight in terms of the action but its hard to translate into a score as Leonard gets a thin edge in most rounds IMO. Great fight though.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #1127
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Boxed Ears is a ****in' nut. No question about it. I wouldn't want it any other way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I love it, I love it more when he seriously talks Boxing though, one of my faves in fact.
This is too sentimental, you girls. ...

()

Quote:
I bet he's the most boring cunt ever in real life though
If you're at all basing this on my enormous post count...yeah, okay, it's a fair point. I do refuse to leave the house unless forced by obligation. In my defense, I only like people from a far. You see, rather than being a misanthrope. I'm just a...fromafaranthrope.

Okay, last fight I took in and scored with notes:

Omar Andres Narvaez VS Victor Zaleta

(For the WBO Super Flyweight Title/2011-02-12)

Oddly, the plan was to watch Hasegawa/Sahaprom, so I ended up watching part of Holmes/Weaver, Frazier/Ali I, a Frazier highlight reel and this. **** my life, I do nothing but put off anything I ever actually plan on doing, even if it's purely recreational.

The first half: 6-0 on my card, in rounds.

Zaleta has advantages in size, youth and strength. In other words, it's just another day at the office for OAN, lately. Although he did have those advantages, Z sorely lacks experience and craft. Also, like normally with OAN's fights that I've seen, the ref is perhaps a bit over-sensitve against the opponent(of Mexico, this time), and a little under-sensitive when it comes to OAN, who is hooking around the back of Z's head and it's turning into a bit of a push or pull here and there. OAN's potential warnings aren't paid much attention to.

Because of the ref being oversensitive on opponents and OAN's type of defense, it ends up with his opponents getting warned for low blows maybe too frequently when they try to work the body. Same goes here. It reminds me a little bit of Arthur Abraham. The body shots to the front slide right off the elbows and down toward the crotch, with no real intention or fault of the guy throwing them, and often not making any real contact and the guy gets jumped on like it's blatant, flush shots to the cup.

Zaleta did clearly butt OAN, and certainly didn't get away with it, even if it wasn't, by some chance, intentional. OAN rarely lets a low-straying punch or a butt go unnoticed, as he knows it's "his house" when he fights in "his country". Not particularly whiny, but just what the hometown regional star tends to get into when it's like "hey, I don't actually HAVE to let that slide, so..." It seems to come with the territory, like Abraham, again, defending his middleweight title in Germany.

Narvaez has mostly controlled the action with far smaller offensive movement and a lankier, wilder, less experienced guy. He's really displaying one of his favorite things, seemingly, which is letting his opponent over-extend himself as he leans back and walks them into a right hook. For a southpaw, you'd think he'd be much more of a straight-left user, but really, he's often quite right-hook-oriented for stretches of fights. He's good at the straight left, but he's really good at most punches in the arsenal. It's just interesting what he tends to favour. OAN sweeps the first five on my card.

The sixth round practically starts with Zelata getting a point taken for a low blow. As if this weren't bad enough for Zaleta, Narvaez seems to have gotten into a comfortable groove, appearing confident that Z's too slow, too limited and predictable and Narvaez is simply clowning his ass, unworried. His hands are down, he's starting to step forward and flurry and back out, hands down. When Narvaez thinks you've got something, the high guard goes up when he slowly comes forward. He waits for careless openings and shoots one or two. But, when he's dubious about your dangerousness, he pops in with punches in bunches and back out hands down, anticipating that he can see what's coming and slip it. Z got punked in that round and OAN's body language tells the tale. On instant replay, the punch Z was deducted a point for was, in fact, low.

Second half:
5-1

Seventh round, Z lands some shots, maybe one truly good one, but mostly OAN is too slick, too many angles to slip and dodge, too many angles to punch from, too good an anticipation for Z's simple offense. So much of the actual connecting Z's touched OAN with up to this point isn't even a scoring blow, landing on shoulders and elbows and biceps. Sometimes, at first glance, you think he's getting there, at least grazing, but on review, he's not really doing anything. Narvaez is a crafty little bastard of a ring general. Now that Narvaez is in the zone, OAN is going like he's seen everything Z could possibly offer and he knows he doesn't have any surprises in him.

Round eight, surprise! Narvaez lets Z back into the fight, and Z is much sharper, more confident and landing quality blows, fighting like the bigger, stronger man, once again. It's hard to tell if the better fighter was taking a breather that got out of hand or Z simply did that good of a job, and pulled all his focus and ability together to get the best out of himself for that one round. Like a low-drama, microcosmic Tokyo Douglas situation! Narvaez did try to take it back at the end of the round, but it wasn't enough, for me. It's Z's first round from what I can see, and he's way, way, way behind, by this point, especially with the point deduction.

Round nine: If each fight is a story with a beginning, middle, end, this would be the beginning of the end. Z started taking control early, probably carrying some confidence out of the last round, but Narvaez woke up and took it to him, outclassing him in numerous exchanges. Why is this a turning point? Here, after several initiated exchanges throughout the fight, we see the perfect example of a common boxing theme. The better boxer starting out the physically weaker man, but his accumulation of better punches and ability to take less damage eventually, slowly turns the tables.

The formerly weaker man, is now the physically stronger when the other guy has finally been sapped enough. OAN comes to the realization here, it seems, from his approach after the round. He's confident now that he's going to own the exchanges. He landed a very stiff left hook or two, but sadly for OAN, he's really not much more than a respectable puncher, in terms of force. I think he goes back to his corner knowing the rest of the fight is breaking this kid. The guy's been around the block so many times, he's likely looking ahead this way.

Round ten, Zaleta gets OAN to the ropes, although it seems more by OAN's choice and oddly throws a bunch of punches with absolutely no follow through and OAN sort of twitches side to side like he is just beginning to roll with each, even though he doesn't have to, because with this pathetic attempt at inside offense, the guy isn't really punching. What an odd exchange. Hmm... OAN then is acting the aggressor, battering Z's sides and throwing combos, sometimes reminiscent of a southpaw James Toney, rolling away from a right, than countering with an overhand left. He's smacking the shit out of a tired, sloppy Z now. Lead punching, counter punching, inside, outside, mid-range, there is no place at this point of the fight that he isn't comfortably stomping Z.

Round eleven, a one-sided beat-down with Z connecting very little but getting the shit kicked out of him, in return for his futile attempts. If OAN were a puncher, this fight would have been finished no later than this round, with very little doubt from me. OAN sat down on some of those punches like he thought he was getting a knockout, had felt Z wilt that much under the pressure. But, no, he makes it out, and boy is he taking a hiding. His inside game is so lacking and Narvaez's so polished, it's almost hopeless for Z at this point. There is absolutely nothing there for him but a fluke punch or injury to bring in a win for him. Narvaez still has plenty in the tank.

Round twelve, a pointless beating as Z is completely inferior in stamina, offensive technique, hand speed, foot speed, defensive technique, ring IQ, experience, inside fighting, mid-range fighting, outside fighting, ability to adj ust and since the shift in round nine, he's inferior in physical strength to top it all off. GRIM situation. He loses this one badly too, still trying his best, and maybe NOT lucky that OAN can't put his lights out, because that was three straight rounds of being a punching bag. Yikes!

It's all academic, as they say, what the ten point must system gives my card. Frankly, some of those last rounds are justifiably 10/8...extreme domination. A perfect display of OAN to nullify any notion anybody may've gotten about this guy if the Donaire fight was their introduction to him. He's a superb little fighter, and athletically quite gifted.

11 rounds to 1. If you're in the mood more for a domination performance than a competitive back and forth, you might want to check this one out. It's good for that. All on youtube.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #1128
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just watched Greg Page vs Scott LeDoux. I was pretty much laughing my ass off all the way up until the KO. LeDoux was completely outclassed and probably didn't land one punch during the entire 4 rounds it lasted. Greg Page, when he wasn't clowning his opponent something awful, was landing with every jab he threw, and nearly every right cross he brought behind it. The KO blow was classic. LeDoux comes out for the 4th, throws a left hook that missed by miles, Page stops as if it to say, "negro please", and then unleashes a one-two. The right hand lands on the top of LeDoux's head, he goes down and the referee waves it off.

I was very impressed with Page's jab and handspeed.

Yep. He toyed with the guy and those combos and every part of his game was impressive.The prepared and in shape version of Page was as good as anyone, and maybe better, than anyone else back then. After that impressive showing against Scott, he went off the radar as far as potential matches went, was the problem. Nobody was going to put their guy in with him because of the risk. So he ended up with chump change and 2nd tier fights for awhile and did not prepare.

He saw there was never going to be a pot of gold. More like a mechanical rabbit in front of the dog at the race track. So disheartening. We saw Thomas get the same thing a few years later and these guys just could not secure a big payday with the big names like Cooney or Holmes. So they stopped getting razor sharp for fights and became beatable.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 AM   #1129
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Ears; I'm the same. My Ma calls me Howard Hughes
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #1130
kopejh
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
This is too sentimental, you girls. ...

()

If you're at all basing this on my enormous post count...yeah, okay, it's a fair point. I do refuse to leave the house unless forced by obligation. In my defense, I only like people from a far. You see, rather than being a misanthrope. I'm just a...fromafaranthrope.

Okay, last fight I took in and scored with notes:

Omar Andres Narvaez VS Victor Zaleta

(For the WBO Super Flyweight Title/2011-02-12)

Oddly, the plan was to watch Hasegawa/Sahaprom, so I ended up watching part of Holmes/Weaver, Frazier/Ali I, a Frazier highlight reel and this. **** my life, I do nothing but put off anything I ever actually plan on doing, even if it's purely recreational.

The first half: 6-0 on my card, in rounds.

Zaleta has advantages in size, youth and strength. In other words, it's just another day at the office for OAN, lately. Although he did have those advantages, Z sorely lacks experience and craft. Also, like normally with OAN's fights that I've seen, the ref is perhaps a bit over-sensitve against the opponent(of Mexico, this time), and a little under-sensitive when it comes to OAN, who is hooking around the back of Z's head and it's turning into a bit of a push or pull here and there. OAN's potential warnings aren't paid much attention to.

Because of the ref being oversensitive on opponents and OAN's type of defense, it ends up with his opponents getting warned for low blows maybe too frequently when they try to work the body. Same goes here. It reminds me a little bit of Arthur Abraham. The body shots to the front slide right off the elbows and down toward the crotch, with no real intention or fault of the guy throwing them, and often not making any real contact and the guy gets jumped on like it's blatant, flush shots to the cup.

Zaleta did clearly butt OAN, and certainly didn't get away with it, even if it wasn't, by some chance, intentional. OAN rarely lets a low-straying punch or a butt go unnoticed, as he knows it's "his house" when he fights in "his country". Not particularly whiny, but just what the hometown regional star tends to get into when it's like "hey, I don't actually HAVE to let that slide, so..." It seems to come with the territory, like Abraham, again, defending his middleweight title in Germany.

Narvaez has mostly controlled the action with far smaller offensive movement and a lankier, wilder, less experienced guy. He's really displaying one of his favorite things, seemingly, which is letting his opponent over-extend himself as he leans back and walks them into a right hook. For a southpaw, you'd think he'd be much more of a straight-left user, but really, he's often quite right-hook-oriented for stretches of fights. He's good at the straight left, but he's really good at most punches in the arsenal. It's just interesting what he tends to favour. OAN sweeps the first five on my card.

The sixth round practically starts with Zelata getting a point taken for a low blow. As if this weren't bad enough for Zaleta, Narvaez seems to have gotten into a comfortable groove, appearing confident that Z's too slow, too limited and predictable and Narvaez is simply clowning his ass, unworried. His hands are down, he's starting to step forward and flurry and back out, hands down. When Narvaez thinks you've got something, the high guard goes up when he slowly comes forward. He waits for careless openings and shoots one or two. But, when he's dubious about your dangerousness, he pops in with punches in bunches and back out hands down, anticipating that he can see what's coming and slip it. Z got punked in that round and OAN's body language tells the tale. On instant replay, the punch Z was deducted a point for was, in fact, low.

Second half:
5-1

Seventh round, Z lands some shots, maybe one truly good one, but mostly OAN is too slick, too many angles to slip and dodge, too many angles to punch from, too good an anticipation for Z's simple offense. So much of the actual connecting Z's touched OAN with up to this point isn't even a scoring blow, landing on shoulders and elbows and biceps. Sometimes, at first glance, you think he's getting there, at least grazing, but on review, he's not really doing anything. Narvaez is a crafty little bastard of a ring general. Now that Narvaez is in the zone, OAN is going like he's seen everything Z could possibly offer and he knows he doesn't have any surprises in him.

Round eight, surprise! Narvaez lets Z back into the fight, and Z is much sharper, more confident and landing quality blows, fighting like the bigger, stronger man, once again. It's hard to tell if the better fighter was taking a breather that got out of hand or Z simply did that good of a job, and pulled all his focus and ability together to get the best out of himself for that one round. Like a low-drama, microcosmic Tokyo Douglas situation! Narvaez did try to take it back at the end of the round, but it wasn't enough, for me. It's Z's first round from what I can see, and he's way, way, way behind, by this point, especially with the point deduction.

Round nine: If each fight is a story with a beginning, middle, end, this would be the beginning of the end. Z started taking control early, probably carrying some confidence out of the last round, but Narvaez woke up and took it to him, outclassing him in numerous exchanges. Why is this a turning point? Here, after several initiated exchanges throughout the fight, we see the perfect example of a common boxing theme. The better boxer starting out the physically weaker man, but his accumulation of better punches and ability to take less damage eventually, slowly turns the tables.

The formerly weaker man, is now the physically stronger when the other guy has finally been sapped enough. OAN comes to the realization here, it seems, from his approach after the round. He's confident now that he's going to own the exchanges. He landed a very stiff left hook or two, but sadly for OAN, he's really not much more than a respectable puncher, in terms of force. I think he goes back to his corner knowing the rest of the fight is breaking this kid. The guy's been around the block so many times, he's likely looking ahead this way.

Round ten, Zaleta gets OAN to the ropes, although it seems more by OAN's choice and oddly throws a bunch of punches with absolutely no follow through and OAN sort of twitches side to side like he is just beginning to roll with each, even though he doesn't have to, because with this pathetic attempt at inside offense, the guy isn't really punching. What an odd exchange. Hmm... OAN then is acting the aggressor, battering Z's sides and throwing combos, sometimes reminiscent of a southpaw James Toney, rolling away from a right, than countering with an overhand left. He's smacking the shit out of a tired, sloppy Z now. Lead punching, counter punching, inside, outside, mid-range, there is no place at this point of the fight that he isn't comfortably stomping Z.

Round eleven, a one-sided beat-down with Z connecting very little but getting the shit kicked out of him, in return for his futile attempts. If OAN were a puncher, this fight would have been finished no later than this round, with very little doubt from me. OAN sat down on some of those punches like he thought he was getting a knockout, had felt Z wilt that much under the pressure. But, no, he makes it out, and boy is he taking a hiding. His inside game is so lacking and Narvaez's so polished, it's almost hopeless for Z at this point. There is absolutely nothing there for him but a fluke punch or injury to bring in a win for him. Narvaez still has plenty in the tank.

Round twelve, a pointless beating as Z is completely inferior in stamina, offensive technique, hand speed, foot speed, defensive technique, ring IQ, experience, inside fighting, mid-range fighting, outside fighting, ability to adj ust and since the shift in round nine, he's inferior in physical strength to top it all off. GRIM situation. He loses this one badly too, still trying his best, and maybe NOT lucky that OAN can't put his lights out, because that was three straight rounds of being a punching bag. Yikes!

It's all academic, as they say, what the ten point must system gives my card. Frankly, some of those last rounds are justifiably 10/8...extreme domination. A perfect display of OAN to nullify any notion anybody may've gotten about this guy if the Donaire fight was their introduction to him. He's a superb little fighter, and athletically quite gifted.

11 rounds to 1. If you're in the mood more for a domination performance than a competitive back and forth, you might want to check this one out. It's good for that. All on youtube.
wow have you written a thesis here?? I'm sure everybody read it in full.
kopejh is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #1131
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #1132
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Quote:
Ears; I'm the same. My Ma calls me Howard Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopejh View Post
wow have you written a thesis here?? I'm sure everybody read it in full.
All I had to do was copy and paste it from my personal notes, for the most part. If no one is interested, it's no skin off my ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
By the way, they deleted my very serious Pavlik thread:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

There was only one apology. I feel I'd have gotten more, in time.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #1133
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

lora is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #1134
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

I've got to watch lots of frazier fights now to remember the great man
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #1135
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Watching kind of a Frazier greatest hits right now.

Have too much actual work to do to keep a scorecard for most of them, but I will post my impressions. I like this thread for that, it gives others reasons to watch fights they may have not seen.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #1136
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

Frazier vs Quarry I:

Round 1- Very even round. Both landing shots of their own. Quarry landed the more telling blows though. He was sharper, accurate, and more active. He may have threw too many punches, to be honest. 10-9 Quarry

Round 2- Frazier was active to the body, and also landed hard hooks upstairs. Early in the round Quarry had success countering instead of slugging like in the previous round. 10-9 Frazier

Round 3- Frazier hurts and cuts Quarry with an overhand right. (A rare punch for him) He pressured Quarry to the ropes with jabs and landed bodyshots. Quarry rallies back off the ropes, clinches, and has success with a few flurries. Frazier pushes him back to the ropes, and Quarry tries to counter. They trade power shots to the body and head; Frazier being more dominant, aggressive, and successful. 10-9 Frazier

Round 4- They trade jabs in the middle of the ring, Quarry hooking off his jab and trying to be more of a counter puncher. Frazier pushes him to the ropes once again and lands power shots to the head. Quarry walks Frazier off the ropes and tries to mount some kind of offense, but Frazier sneaks in inside shots and basically negates Quarry's assault. Frazier dominates the rest of the round with Quarry on the ropes. Quarry's eye is badly swollen while Frazier is almost markless. 10-9 Frazier

Round 5- Quarry keeping his right low and even though he is on his toes for the beginning of this round, Frazier is easily able to get a lead left hook or jab in. Much of the same of the previous rounds. Quarry trying to counter off the ropes, while Frazier weaves under most of Quarry's shots, lands his own to the body and the head. Quarry rallies with a few right hands late in the round. 10-9 Frazier
Round 6- Frazier very confident now. Frazier teeing off with left hooks while Quarry is on the ropes, and knocks Quarry's mouth guard out (something I noticed is Frazier's underrated arsenal in this fight. His left hook was very prominent like it always is, but his left jab and right uppercuts are especially effective.) Quarry looks exhausted and beat up, with no legs he can't play the counter puncher like he tried to in previous rounds10-9 Frazier
Round 7- Frazier throws 6 consecutive left hands, (jabs and hooks), to start out the round. Most of which land. Frazier pins Quarry against the ropes. Quarry lands a few pawing left hooks but is mostly being dominated. 1 punch is landed for Quarry compared to Frazier's 4. Frazier lands punches to Quarry who has no defense for Joe's hooks. Quarry continues to take punishment and gets rocked by a right uppercut at the end of the round. 10-9 Frazier
The fight is stopped after the doctor examines Quarry's eye. Frazier wins 6-1 on my scorecard. Quarry put up a great fight and effort though
Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #1137
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

Joe Frazier vs Bob Foster

First of all I have to give props to Frazier's variety of punches again. People always act like Frazier just had a left hook and that's it. Frazier's right hand to the body, his jab, and uppercut were all overrated. and sometimes he even sneaked in a right hook or in the quarry fight, an overhand right. Frazier was great at picking off punches too with that cross armed defense.

No need to score this, Foster tries to keep his distance from Frazier early on and lands a few left jabs but Frazier eventually pins the skinnier Foster in the corner and lands left hooks and a right to the body and probably hurts him. Foster tries to retaliate with a left hook but misses.

In the second round Frazier cuts the ring off on Foster and nails him with a perfect left hook. Frazier is all over him and goes left hook crazy. Foster is shook and unsteady on his legs. Frazier lands a left to the body and brings another to Foster's head and knocks him out for the count. Foster is badly hurt and stunned on the canvas
Old 11-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #1138
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Frazier vs Quarry is my pick for the best 2 fight series of any Heavyweights.

Watched FOTC last night, so impressive.

Frazier just would not be denied, I was amazed at the quickness at how he closed down Ali, he was just on him, and in seconds, it was amazing. He also hurt Ali so many times throughout the fight, I was really impressed with how Ali took it, but Frazier was just relentless, a man possessed.

It really got me thinking H2H on one night, Frazier turned in the best performance ever.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #1139
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

IMO the FOTC is one of the best HW performances captured on film. My favourite fight of the three.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #1140
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

I'm watching FOTC right now. A great fight. Frazier doesn't get enough props for this

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum