boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #1141
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
IMO the FOTC is one of the best HW performances captured on film. My favourite fight of the three.
The best, I'd say. Best high level Heavyweight fight, period, alongside Bowe/Holyfield I.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #1142
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
IMO the FOTC is one of the best HW performances captured on film. My favourite fight of the three.
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
I'm watching FOTC right now. A great fight. Frazier doesn't get enough props for this
Nah, I think he does, but it is an awesome performance.

I said to my Dad while watching it, imagine fighting Frazier there?

I mean he was just on Ali from the get go, it was ferocious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
The best, I'd say. Best high level Heavyweight fight, period, alongside Bowe/Holyfield I.
Agree.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #1143
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
The best, I'd say. Best high level Heavyweight fight
Yeah, this is the right way to put it, and it had everything as well, the contrast of characters, both undefeated, Fraziers ascent in the absence of Ali....everything.

****ing great fight boys.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #1144
Pedderrs

vCash:

Jung Koo Chang vs Jorge Cano

I decided not to keep score as I thoroughly expected Chang to run away with the fight, but I was wrong. The fight was a relatively close affair with Cano, the tricky southpaw, utilising an effective jab that was troubling Chang on the way in. Chang's successes came as a result of constant pressure. The Korean Hawk seemed to dominate the fight when he was fighting in spots - darting in and out - as opposed to rushing his opponent, but he failed to sustain this and lost rounds as a result.

Cano impressed me with his jab and accuracy. Apparently his shock result over German Torres earned him a shot at Chang and this performance certainly proved that was no fluke. Cano could fight and proved himself to be a worthy challenger to Chang's title. On the flipside, Chang showed exactly why he was such an outstanding champion. He gutted out a victory despite not being on top form.

A good, competitive fight.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #1145
anut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

scored lewis vs mercer .........96 to 94 for lewis
and holmes/norton 144 to 142 for holmes
anut is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #1146
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict

Scored DLH-Mosley II. How the judges gave that one to Mosley is beyond me. 8-4 Oscar. And it wasn't even a difficult fight to score either.

Round 1: 10-9 DLH. Mosley can't get inside on Oscar and eats the jab and right hand consistently.

Round 2: 10-9 DLH. More of the same.

Round 3: 10-9 DLH. The headbutt doesn't seem to faze him and he keeps on boxing. Mosley is puzzled.

Round 4: 10-9 DLH. Oscar continues to outbox Mosley, who looks really flat in general.

Round 5: 10-9 DLH. Mosley only seems able to score with weak arm punches in the clinches.

Round 6: 10-9 DLH. DLH continues to circle and pepper Mosley with the jab.

Round 7: 10-9 DLH. By this point, it's clear Mosley doesn't have a clue on how to handle a big guy with a good jab.

Round 8: 10-9 Mosley. Luckily for Mosley, DLH gets tired. Mosley catches up to him and is finally able to land some decent punches. He does more than DLH in a round for the first time in the fight.

Round 9: 10-9 Mosley. DLH is still connecting cleanly and blocking most of Mosley's shots, the only problem is Mosley is more active and doing more. Mosley again gets some decent connects in the round.

Round 10: 10-9 Mosley. DLH looks to have slowed down, and again takes much of the round off, fighting in short spurts where he still lands effectively. However, Mosley is a lot more active (even if he's not particularly effective.)

Round 11: 10-9 DLH. DLH throws more in this round, and connects solidly with some power punches upstairs. He generally connects with more force and accuracy than Mosley, even though Mosley remains aggressive.

Round 12: 10-9 Mosley. DLH is more active than in rounds 8-10, but not nearly as much as he was in round 11. The result is Mosley outworks him again, even if most of his punches get picked off.

116-112 DLH.

Last edited by HawkFan16; 11-11-2011 at 02:07 AM. Reason: More comprehensive scoring breakdown
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #1147
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict

DLH-Trinidad

Round 1: 10-9 DLH. Tentative round by both guys. DLH blocks most of Trinidad's punches with his gloves. Neither guy lands much, but DLH lands with a little more authority.

Round 2: 10-9 DLH. Oscar gets the jab working effectively, and lands a couple of solid right hands as well. Trinidad reduced to following DLH around and trying to get off with something big, which doesn't happen.

Round 3: 10-9 DLH. Oscar circles Trinidad and easily keeps the jab in his face, preventing Tito from getting close. Trinidad lands one decent left hook, but that's not enough to make up for all the jabs and a couple of strong Oscar combinations later in the round.

Round 4: 10-9 Trinidad. Oscar continues to score effectively with the jab, but does not get through with many power connects this round. Meanwhile, Trinidad is more effective than in the first 3 rounds, and more active too, landing with a few power punches. Close round, but Tito did a bit more.

Round 5: 10-9 DLH. Trinidad goes back to a lower output/following DLH around, whilst DLH continues to nail him with the jab throughout the round. Neither man lands much in power connects until the last minute of the round, though, when DLH connects with a couple of solid right hands and a good flurry of power shots near the end of the round.

Round 6: 10-9 DLH. DLH again outworks Trinidad and cleanly hits him with jabs and right hands. Trinidad fails to land much of any significance.

Round 7: 10-9 DLH. DLH again puzzles Trinidad by moving and jabbing. Trinidad nowhere close to being active enough to seriously pressure DLH. In the last minute, DLH gets a couple of right hands through, and then lands another clean flurry in the last 20 seconds of the round, which is the best work of either guy in the round.

Round 8: 10-9 DLH. DLH very dominant in this round, landing multiple combinations and right hands throughout. Trinidad throws a punch after the bell in frustration for the second round in a row.

Round 9: 10-9 DLH. Trinidad is more aggressive, and lands a few more punches than usual, but that is not enough to take the round against DLH's greater body of work. Oscar landed several solid combinations and right hands along with his usual jab.

Round 10: 10-9 DLH. First signs of DLH's activity dropping. Trinidad getting anxious chasing DLH, winging a couple of wild shots that miss. DLH no longer sticking the jab consistently- instead, he confines his activity to a an early flurry to the body that lands effectively, and then a few more to the head later on. Close, but DLH edged it.

Round 11: 10-9 Trinidad. He continues to try and stalk DLH, clearly thinking he needs a KO to win, but he does not throw a lot of punches, or really sit down on his punches either. DLH by now is very inactive and not throwing much, with the exception of a few jabs throughout the round and one solid left hook near the end. Trinidad is far more active though and lands more, so he gets the round.

Round 12: 10-9 Trinidad. DLH backpedals much of the round, and Trinidad makes most of the effort to press the action. The fact Trinidad is unable to catch up or really connect on anything that can truly hurt a fatigued DLH demonstrates in essence how much trouble Trinidad had with mobile boxer types.

117-111 DLH. You can make an argument for Trinidad having an even round in the first, or for him winning 9 or 10. At worst, you can make a 6-5-1 DLH scorecard, and that's being as nice to Trinidad as possible. Simply put, DLH exposed Trinidad. When his opponent didn't stand still or let him get in his range, Trinidad can't get off with anything hurtful, and if he can't do that, his modest workrate is not going to be enough to make up for that. DLH was robbed here.

Last edited by HawkFan16; 11-14-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: grammatical error
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #1148
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Alfonso Zamora vs Hong II

Cracking fight this. Think Zamora gets a bit underrated as a boxer due to his evident power, and later reliance on this. In this fight (and most of his early fights I have seen) he shows some nice skills: his guard is tight; footwork relaxed and used to make his man fall short alot; punches are nice compact and accurate; and his jab was used to set up his attacks.

He sets up his attacks lovely with little angles with his feet, and defensivly is very aware and makes Hong miss a fair few times, and most importantly makes him pay for it.

I got a load of Zamora still to watch, so it will beinteresting to see if I think he was a talented boxer-puncher or pure swarmer
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #1149
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Pacquiao vs Marquez III Score
(ROBBERY)

Round 1: 10-9 Pacquiao (I can see a Marquez round or an even round too)

Round 2: 10-9 Marquez

Round 3: 10-9 Marquez

Round 4: 10-9 Pacquiao

Round 5: 10-9 Marquez

Round 6: 10-9 Marquez

Round 7: 10-9 Marquez

Round 8: 10-9 Marquez

Round 9: 10-9 Marquez

Round 10: 10-9 Pacquiao

Round 11: 10-9 Marquez

Round 12: 10-9 Marquez

9-3 Marquez, pretty easy to score
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #1150
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Jung Koo Chang vs Francisco Montiel I

This wasn't an easy night for the Korean. He won most of the rounds based on his unrelenting pressure, but he had to take a few hard shots on the way in. Montiel, who was only 19 years old at the time, gave a good account of himself by fighting on the back foot and countering his opponent. Unfortunately, despite some nice left hooks landed, Montiel wasn't able sustain any of his work and was ultimately out-worked and out-landed. A point deduction occured when Chang began to hold but the fight was already won by this point.

It's worth noting how Chang was visibly exchausted as early as round 11. It raises a few question marks in my mind with how he would have planned to stay with Yuh for the full duration, who routinely threw 100 punches a round without breaking a sweat. Just sayin'.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #1151
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

85 was the year it became obvious Chang wasn't a dedicated champ.He got an arguable gift in his 2nd fight with German Torres as well that year(who had already been beaten much more convincingly) and was semi-forced to fight Torres and Montiel again.His performances in those resulting 86 fights were arguably the last time we saw Chang well-trained and at his peak.

That's one of the drawbacks of Chang's career that wouldn't be instantly recognisable because of his strong number of title defences.People that haven't seen him fight or researched him might look at his paper record and get the impression of a very consistent champion with good longevity, but he's actually more like Benitez, Lynch or tyson in that he did all his best work in a fairly short period of time and then quickly burned out.

Albeit he still made another couple years defences while flaming out, it was clear by the Ohashi rematch his lifestyle had taken a toll on him.

Yuh on the other hand had a gymrat reputation and impeccable stamina.He would definitely give Chang a hard fight if the hawk didn't train right for the bout.And maybe even if he did, who knows.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #1152
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
85 was the year it became obvious Chang wasn't a dedicated champ.He got an arguable gift in his 2nd fight with German Torres as well that year(who had already been beaten much more convincingly) and was semi-forced to fight Torres and Montiel again.His performances in those resulting 86 fights were arguably the last time we saw Chang well-trained and at his peak.

That's one of the drawbacks of Chang's career that wouldn't be instantly recognisable because of his strong number of title defences.People that haven't seen him fight or researched him might look at his paper record and get the impression of a very consistent champion with good longevity, but he's actually more like Benitez, Lynch or tyson in that he did all his best work in a fairly short period of time and then quickly burned out.

Albeit he still made another couple years defences while flaming out, it was clear by the Ohashi rematch his lifestyle had taken a toll on him.

Yuh on the other hand had a gymrat reputation and impeccable stamina.He would definitely give Chang a hard fight if the hawk didn't train right for the bout.And maybe even if he did, who knows.
Cheers Lora.

I don't see Chang ever having an easy time with Yuh though. Regardless of what Chang turns up. Yuh was a monster when it came to fighting in the trenches. Never down as a professional. Legendary conditioning. Chang would have to go through hell to get the W.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2011, 02:28 AM   #1153
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Yuh was a tough proposition and a consistent performer, but I don't really rate his opposition all that much. I think Chang would be too talented for him, just a higher level of operator IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #1154
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yuh was a tough proposition and a consistent performer, but I don't really rate his opposition all that much. I think Chang would be too talented for him, just a higher level of operator IMO.
Not for me, Flea. Yuh didn't beat the likes of Torres or Zapata, but that's not to say he couldn't have. Boxing is about styles. We've just had yet another reminder of this with the third installment of Manny Pacquiao & Juan Manuel Marquez. Yuh's punch variety and technical ability was on a fairly high level, in my opinion, and would see him be very competitive in the exchanges. His conditioning was practically unrivalled at the weight, and so if it becomes the kind of toe to toe war I'd expect, Yuh would be the one getting stronger in the late stages, not Chang. Granted, Chang was the sharper puncher, but Yuh can take anything he has to offer in my opinion and he'll return fire, just as he always did. It's a hard fight whichever way you cut it.

Perhaps you can break it down for me why you think Chang would dominate Yuh. I just don't see it mate.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #1155
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I don't think he would dominate him (and don't think I said he could) I just think Changs ability to revert to his loose, mid-range work, his feints, and own durability would mean he'd also have no worries doing the 12 if Yuh has success mixing his shots to head and body as he did so well. This is a distance fight.

In terms of conditioning, Chang was such a canny, tiring inside fighter I'm not certain Yuh has the advantage there either. Chang could tie his man up and work with his free hand as good as anyone, and knew how to bide his time. Against a strong worker like his countryman, this would help him get the respite he'd need at some point.

Would it be a great fight? Yes. I just favour Chang to do the better work and land more shots, I don't really favour many against him on his best day to be honest, not even many Flys (he effectively beat the no.1 at Fly way past his best...although whether or not Sot still should've been recognised at that point is another question entirely)

What would you say Yuhs best win was? Blanco?
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum