Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #1276
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yup. Wrecking Ball is gorgeous. I like Hard Bargain too.

What else should I be listening to?
I don't have any of her albums, but.........

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-rTkqn-4qg[/ame]

The Band is my favorite band ever, and she loved them, so they invited her to do a number with them for the filming of The Last Waltz, their farewell concert. This is one of the real highlights of that film. Her voice pairs with Levon Helms' so amazingly. Just great.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #1277
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Okay, how about this one then....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOAT0AocD1c&feature=fvwrel[/ame]
Old 11-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #1278
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Apparently this is a very highly prized song.

Anyhoo, just go to youtube and type in "Evangeline The Band."
Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #1279
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Good stuff, Sal. I'm convinced the woman can do no wrong.

You heard her Wrecking Ball material? She deviated from her usual style and the results were awesome.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_3v_yaUJDY[/ame]
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #1280
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Good stuff, Sal. I'm convinced the woman can do no wrong.

You heard her Wrecking Ball material? She deviated from her usual style and the results were awesome.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Wow, that's actually really good! I have to get that. Props to her for not being a slave to one style.

While the style may be redunant, here's an older Emmylou lending a hand with backing vocals in one of my favorite songs......she is actually pretty hot for an older chick, too. I love this though.......she knows just what this song needs, and lends only that. She knows not to do more than what a given situation calls for, and to let Iris have her day. She is certainly not an attention whore, and has such a keen sense of musical aesthetics. She has awesome cool points.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikZwgj89HI[/ame]
Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #1281
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
Wow, that's actually really good! I have to get that. Props to her for not being a slave to one style.

While the style may be redunant, here's an older Emmylou lending a hand with backing vocals in one of my favorite songs......she is actually pretty hot for an older chick, too. I love this though.......she knows just what this song needs, and lends only that. She knows not to do more than what a given situation calls for, and to let Iris have her day. She is certainly not an attention whore, and has such a keen sense of musical aesthetics. She has awesome cool points.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Great stuff, Sal. Emmylou is one of the greats, in my opinion.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #1282
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

I just watched some of Ray Leonard's early fights.

SRL was matched with 27-3 Frank Santore in only his 4th fight and he absolutely murdered him over 5 lopsided rounds. Ray looked a lot more developed in the upperbody area than he had against Luis Vega and Willie Rodriguez, and he seemed to hurt his opponent with every right hand he threw. Santore was out on his feet as early as the third and was pretty much just hanging on from then on. A brutal display of punching on the part of SRL.

Aaron Pryor was sitting behind SRL whilst he was having his post-fight interview with Howard. I'm not too sure what that was all about.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #1283
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
There's a guy who posted that fight on youtube, but it's missing the first two rounds. I haven't watched it because of this........kinda taints it for me, as I know it was a very close fights, and I'm waiting for it to be posted in its entirety. Sounds as good as I've read it is.

Davila is superb for 5 rounds, dazzling. I love Davila when hes in full flow.

Quote:
Gilberto Roman vs Santos Laciar I

In the words of Jim Lampley, a thankless fight to score. Very few clean effective punches landed in the whole 12 rounds. I did however score the fight for the Mexican, Gilberto Roman. I felt the pace and style of fight was clearly being dictated by him, and the best shots that landed were his lead left hooks and straight right hands. Neither fighter was hurt or visibly buzzed at any time. Many of the rounds I had to score even because the action was so closely contested.

Officially, the judges scored the fight a draw and I don't have too many complaints with that decision. As I say, if you give a few of the even rounds to Laciar than you could have come up with anything. It's interesting though that after the 12th round, a pretty convincing round for Roman, it was the Mexican who was celebrating. I think he thought he won the fight and I agreed with him.

Roman: 3, 5, 6, 9, 12
Laciar: 2, 8, 11

I scored rounds 1, 4, 7 and 10 even.
Love this fight, so close. Although the 2nd fight is better.

Quote:

SRL was matched with 27-3 Frank Santore in only his 4th fight and he absolutely murdered him over 5 lopsided rounds. Ray looked a lot more developed in the upperbody area than he had against Luis Vega and Willie Rodriguez, and he seemed to hurt his opponent with every right hand he threw. Santore was out on his feet as early as the third and was pretty much just hanging on from then on. A brutal display of punching on the part of SRL.

Aaron Pryor was sitting behind SRL whilst he was having his post-fight interview with Howard. I'm not too sure what that was all about.
Love young Ray Leonard, jus blazing.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #1284
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:

Probably because he always wanted to fight SRL. Of course, only if the money was "right" and he didn't want it bad enough to take more than he was ever accustomed to anyway, to fight him. Hence, we have the Legendary Nights myth of SRL ducking a guy who wasn't even campaigning in his own weight class and turned him down.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #1285
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6M8vYDbHHI&feature=related[/ame]

Brutal knockout by Junior Middle Eastern Euro lunatic Marijan Benes.A fighter who really, really liked his clubbing bombs.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #1286
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Wow! Only seen him against Kalule, cheers Mante'
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #1287
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

The mans a ****ing mentalist
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #1288
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

I said I would post my scorecard after having rewatched the replay of the 3rd Pac/JMM bout and as promised here it is:

Pac:4,11,12
JMM:1,2,3,5,6,7,8,10
Even:9

Pac got outboxed and outfoxed thoroughly in this fight, wasn`t even close at all, JMM clearly won only to get predictably robbed in the end. Pacs offense was sporadic at best, and ineffective for the most part as was his aggression, he barely landed anything of consequence thru 12 rounds and was made to look completely ordinary. I don`t understand how anyone can have Pac a winner in this fight, this is about as clear a loss as I`ve seen in recent years.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #1289
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Watched another fight last week that believe it or not to those who know my tastes I have never watched before even though I had the fight in my possession for years now, the fight in question is the 1st Basilio/Saxton fight.

Now I`ve read and heard the rumours about what a robbery this was and how Saxton ran for his life after getting stunned in the 2nd round, but watching the fight I must say that couldn`t be further from the truth.

Saxton outboxed and outfought Basilio for long stretches in the fight, and more than held his own throughout doing an especially impressive job of tattooing Carmen`s face with the jab all night long.

I actually had Saxton winning the fight at the end, by two points, and honestly even though the scoring was close Carmen simply didn`t look like the winner at the final bell. The decision was fair after all, and Carmen and his camp had no grounds to claim robbery here.

Here is my scorecard:

Basilio:2,3,4,10,11
Saxton:1,6,8,9,13,14,15
Even:5,7,12 (neither man did enough to distinguish himself from the other in these even rounds, I rewatched the rounds twice to make sure I made the right call.)
Old 11-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #1290
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Watched another fight a few days ago after rummaging thru my vault of treasured rare fight films, and I came accross one I had actually forgotten I had to my astonishment, a fight between Ken Buchanan and of all people Angel Robinson Garcia!

The footage lasts about 17 minutes and show rds 1,4,5,10 and parts of another round but I cannot tell which one. Anyway Garcia was quite the crafty and clever fighter, very intelligent fighter this man was, clearly a thinking fighter as well.

Has a habit of often tapping his gloves together kind of like Orlando Canizales used to do, but he does it at waist level, and is very loose and limber with his movement. Had a Gavilan esque feel to his style, especially when he let his hands go, he unleashed some wicked combinations to head and body on Buchanan and had him in some difficulty more than once.

Ken started the fight quickly pumping out that jab and walking down Garcia, but the cuban was very adept at slipping the jabs and crosses and was seemingly sizing up his man and his offense, not throwing much of anything in the first round and except towards the end of the round.

Jumping to the 4th round Garcia comes out blazing with combinations on Ken who is forced to cover up under the barrage and looks stunned a bit by some solid punches to the head landed by the cuban who then goes to the body very effectively, great offensive display by Garcia in this round throughout.

The pattern is pretty much the same in the 5th, but this time Ken trys to fight back and does so with little success, Garcia outlanded him and adeptly evaded Kens offense and jabs especially, catching Ken with some overhand rights over his jab several times.

Now the fight switches to a round but which one I don`t know, but whatever round this is its quite a sight to see Ken hesitating to throw his jab now as the few times he attempts it Garcia fires right back countering effectively, and Ken seems frustrated and unsure of what to do, but he keeps plugging away and Garcia counters more or less each time.

Jump to the final round Ken pours on the pressure feeling that this fight is probably too close for comfort, and he is the aggressor throughout the round and does land some good punches on Garcia who takes them well mind you and firs back with some of his own, but he does look a bit tired in this round and takes his foot of the gas pedal allowing Ken to outhustle him.

At the final bell the ref walks over and raises Buchanans hand as if it were a mere formality that he won the fight, but from what I can see in this film I wouldn`t be surprised if this may have been a hometown decision, Garcia looked to be doing better than Kenny was, would be interesting to see this fight in full however that won`t happen as what I have is all there is of this fight.

Last edited by Raging B(_)LL; 11-24-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum