Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #1291
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Good to see you posting again Bull.
lora is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #1292
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Good to see you posting again Bull.
Thanks pal, but as per my usual modus operandi over the past couple of years on this site you know how I roll..... make a few posts in one day and then disappear off into the night like a ninja for weeks or months at a time only to reappear when no one expects it.

Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #1293
vipers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

George Foreman vs Lou Saverese

A good close rare fight Saverese was winning the early rounds but in the last couple of rounds Foreman was coming back a good slugfest here.

Saverese rounds: 1,2,3.5,6,8
Foreman rounds: 4,7,9,10,11,12

Saverese was deducted a point for a low blow in round 11

= George Foreman 114-113
vipers is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #1294
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I gave Benes just rounds 6 & 14 against Kalule, who jabbed, countered and kept the wildman off balance all night. In those two rounds Kalule still fired back and there were some quality styles clash exchanges.

As I say, in every other round it was all Ayub.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 AM   #1295
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL View Post
Watched another fight last week that believe it or not to those who know my tastes I have never watched before even though I had the fight in my possession for years now, the fight in question is the 1st Basilio/Saxton fight.

Now I`ve read and heard the rumours about what a robbery this was and how Saxton ran for his life after getting stunned in the 2nd round, but watching the fight I must say that couldn`t be further from the truth.

Saxton outboxed and outfought Basilio for long stretches in the fight, and more than held his own throughout doing an especially impressive job of tattooing Carmen`s face with the jab all night long.

I actually had Saxton winning the fight at the end, by two points, and honestly even though the scoring was close Carmen simply didn`t look like the winner at the final bell. The decision was fair after all, and Carmen and his camp had no grounds to claim robbery here.

Here is my scorecard:

Basilio:2,3,4,10,11
Saxton:1,6,8,9,13,14,15
Even:5,7,12 (neither man did enough to distinguish himself from the other in these even rounds, I rewatched the rounds twice to make sure I made the right call.)
I agree with this completely, never seen it as a robbery at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL View Post
Watched another fight a few days ago after rummaging thru my vault of treasured rare fight films, and I came accross one I had actually forgotten I had to my astonishment, a fight between Ken Buchanan and of all people Angel Robinson Garcia!

The footage lasts about 17 minutes and show rds 1,4,5,10 and parts of another round but I cannot tell which one. Anyway Garcia was quite the crafty and clever fighter, very intelligent fighter this man was, clearly a thinking fighter as well.

Has a habit of often tapping his gloves together kind of like Orlando Canizales used to do, but he does it at waist level, and is very loose and limber with his movement. Had a Gavilan esque feel to his style, especially when he let his hands go, he unleashed some wicked combinations to head and body on Buchanan and had him in some difficulty more than once.

Ken started the fight quickly pumping out that jab and walking down Garcia, but the cuban was very adept at slipping the jabs and crosses and was seemingly sizing up his man and his offense, not throwing much of anything in the first round and except towards the end of the round.

Jumping to the 4th round Garcia comes out blazing with combinations on Ken who is forced to cover up under the barrage and looks stunned a bit by some solid punches to the head landed by the cuban who then goes to the body very effectively, great offensive display by Garcia in this round throughout.

The pattern is pretty much the same in the 5th, but this time Ken trys to fight back and does so with little success, Garcia outlanded him and adeptly evaded Kens offense and jabs especially, catching Ken with some overhand rights over his jab several times.

Now the fight switches to a round but which one I don`t know, but whatever round this is its quite a sight to see Ken hesitating to throw his jab now as the few times he attempts it Garcia fires right back countering effectively, and Ken seems frustrated and unsure of what to do, but he keeps plugging away and Garcia counters more or less each time.

Jump to the final round Ken pours on the pressure feeling that this fight is probably too close for comfort, and he is the aggressor throughout the round and does land some good punches on Garcia who takes them well mind you and firs back with some of his own, but he does look a bit tired in this round and takes his foot of the gas pedal allowing Ken to outhustle him.

At the final bell the ref walks over and raises Buchanans hand as if it were a mere formality that he won the fight, but from what I can see in this film I wouldn`t be surprised if this may have been a hometown decision, Garcia looked to be doing better than Kenny was, would be interesting to see this fight in full however that won`t happen as what I have is all there is of this fight.
Thanks for telling about this, Garcia sounds a fighter id klove
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #1296
vipers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Frazier I

The Fight Of The Century

A classic fight which has a legit claim to being one of the greatest fights of all time.

Joe Frazier rounds: 1,3,5,6,7,8,11,12,13,14,15
Muhammad Ali rounds: 2,4,9,10
vipers is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #1297
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I gave Benes just rounds 6 & 14 against Kalule, who jabbed, countered and kept the wildman off balance all night. In those two rounds Kalule still fired back and there were some quality styles clash exchanges.

As I say, in every other round it was all Ayub.
Yeah, i don't think he won more than 3 or 4 rounds.6 and 14 were the rounds he managed to rock Kalule weren't they?.

It's one of my favourite modern junior middle fights.Just a hilarious contrast in styles at times.benes having to take almost entire rounds off to get his breath back, after inevitably spending the previous one throwing a huge amount of ridiculous full bodyweight haymakers and clubbing hooks.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #1298
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Yeah, i don't think he won more than 3 or 4 rounds.6 and 14 were the rounds he managed to rock Kalule weren't they?.

It's one of my favourite modern junior middle fights.Just a hilarious contrast in styles at times.benes having to take almost entire rounds off to get his breath back, after inevitably spending the previous one throwing a huge amount of ridiculous full bodyweight haymakers and clubbing hooks.
He literally only throws hooks....that start from one corner of the ring and end in another

The biggest styles contrast I've ever seen I think. Kalule struggled to keep his legs beneath him right at the end (which would obviously be a big problem as he kept cutting to the limit whilst fighting better opposition) but was too composed and skilled for the mad Yugoslavian.

Interesting clash that let's Kalule show off his full bag of tricks; his textbook footwork, jab, and expert ability to step out and counter. As you say, an odd matchup, but in the two rounds Benes gets anything sufficient going watching Kalule fire back amidst sheer chaos made riveting viewing.

All in all, a one-sided fight. But as I say, interesting nonetheless.

What can you tell me of the last few fights of his I have to watch (Villa & Gregory) and what would you recommend first?

Now I've seen: Korean sparkage, Frank W arren fighter sparkage, Bester and Betham, Leonard, McCallum, Moore, Kalambay, Graham, Benes and Kudo. So what am I missing? Seales?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #1299
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Watch the Villa fight, Flea. The Gregory fight is completely one-sided, a masterclass from Kalule against a pretty nondescript challenger. The Villa fight is an excellent technical clash between southpaws.

And while you're doing that I guess I'll finally watch the Benes fight. I've taken to watching whatever extra footage of Benes I can find before getting around to the Kalule fight (there's a surprising amount on Youtube). Vicious fighter with hardly any skills, but I've been on a binge of these types for the past couple of months, so it's been fun.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #1300
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

There's more of him bar the footage Lora posted the page before? Any more of him smashing plebs?

Villa it is then, sounds good
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #1301
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

There's a long documentary on him up on youtube as well.No subtitles but it has some KO clips and stuff.You wonder how he got away with style like that, back when 99% of fighters behind the iron curtain were all fighting in a largely textbook manner.

Seems he was quite a big sporting figure in his day.Parlov was hugely popular as well, despite his ugly safety-first style.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-APCwdiR7C8[/ame]

Un-official world champion!!
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #1302
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
He literally only throws hooks....that start from one corner of the ring and end in another

The biggest styles contrast I've ever seen I think. Kalule struggled to keep his legs beneath him right at the end (which would obviously be a big problem as he kept cutting to the limit whilst fighting better opposition) but was too composed and skilled for the mad Yugoslavian.

Interesting clash that let's Kalule show off his full bag of tricks; his textbook footwork, jab, and expert ability to step out and counter. As you say, an odd matchup, but in the two rounds Benes gets anything sufficient going watching Kalule fire back amidst sheer chaos made riveting viewing.

All in all, a one-sided fight. But as I say, interesting nonetheless.

What can you tell me of the last few fights of his I have to watch (Villa & Gregory) and what would you recommend first?

Now I've seen: Korean sparkage, Frank W arren fighter sparkage, Bester and Betham, Leonard, McCallum, Moore, Kalambay, Graham, Benes and Kudo. So what am I missing? Seales?
Seales and Palladin are the only other ones i've watched.I've not kept up with the trading and collectors scene for ages though.Might be more knocking about now.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #1303
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

KALULE: 3; 4; 7; 8; 10;

VILLA: 9; 11;

What a shame Belgian TV only showed highlights.

Indeed an interesting clash between jabbing southpaws, Villa the stiffer puncher, flat footed but utilising upper body movement, and Kalule with his hard-to-gauge offence and primarily movement based defence. Villa tended to come out and try and stamp his authority on the rounds but Kalule had him figured out by the end of the stanza.

Villa just about edged the 9th for me.

Very fun to watch these two try and slip inside each others shots and pop off their own. Unfortunately for Villa (who showed some nice touches) Kalule was better at this than most.

Needless to say, if you set a Kalule highlight to some 'somba' music the Ugandan would not box in time.

Any idea why Villa was pulled out? Footage too muddy to see any facial damage and I felt he dug in well in the 11th. Was that his last stand as he was being outclassed? Good watch nonetheless.

As for Villa, my memory is hazy to say the least, but any footage of him against the rest of his notable opposition?

Last edited by Flea Man; 11-27-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #1304
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I'm guessing Seales is the one chance we have to see Kalule in his prime as a middleweight?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #1305
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

It wasn't entirely clear because of the quality, but it looked like a facial damage\possible cuts stoppage to me.He was pretty marked around the eyes.

Just had a quick look and there might have been a cut just above the left-eyelid as well.Might just be scar-tissue though.

Get his fights with Duran and Benitez.He gives a solid account of himself against Duran, well about as good as it was possible for a non-all-timer against Duran of that period.The Benitez fight is a close chessmatch.

he was very good fighter that slipped completely under the radar outside of his home country.Flat footed, but with an excellent jab and could rip combos off as well as most boxer-punchers.Quite MArquez like with his punches at times, yet with solid defensive skills.
lora is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum