Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #1321
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

You are right Sal. It was a horrible beating in that he shipped many, many flush power punches before receiving a protracted knockout. It's very much the kind of beating that finishes/marks an up and coming prospect.

Some fighters are just made of different stuff, and as he proved over and again, he is one of them.
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #1322
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Today I watched Dick Tiger take a clear 10-round decision from Rubin Carter. Carter was felled hard three times by leaping left hooks, and seemed out of it in the second after being felled twice in the stanza. He climbed to his feet somehow and fought back with some sporadic effectiveness from that point on, but Tiger was the deserving winner.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #1323
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Tiger a G.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #1324
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Been watching Antonio Esparragoza today, he's never really shined on me before, but I'm really digging him now.

He's such a patient and confident ring general, takes his time to get started and dosent waste a thing. The way he moves through the gears is brilliant, he starts of with the long jabs, then all of a sudden he's sliding in off lead rights and left hooks, and the thing is everything is a combination. And his combinations, ever shot is solid and thrown perfectly, you dont see that much.

But the thing I love mot about him, he is just so sure he will win, all the time.

His fight with Jose Marmolejo, stood out for me so I'll expand on it.

Marmolejo is a tall Panamanian, he shows good lateral movement and instinctive counters, as you expect from a Panamanian, but lacks polish and to me experiance.

Marmolejo starts out brilliantly moving laterally to keep Tonmy Asparagus from starting any attacks, and when he does he generally falls short and walks on to lovely short right hands. Jose does this for the first 3 rounds, although in the second I thought Essparagoza edged it with workrate.

In the fourth Esparragoza makes a concerted effort to keep the pressure on the tall awkward Marmelejo. He does this with a few things:
-Feints, he feints his movements forward and then attacks an off-balance Marmelejo.
-A Double Step, instead of stepping in with his shots, Antonio steps forward whilst being defensivly aware, then steps in again with his punches, meaning he is getting his range without punching, and keeping the pressure on without opening himself up.
-Combinations, he just keeps punching at times, but more importantly , he is falling in after shots to keep Marmalejo in range. And Antonio's defensive radar in the pocket is superb, I loved the way he would throw his right then dip to his left to avoid any retaliatery shots.

A sustained barrage of punches knocks Jose off-balance and he goes down. Antonio does a back flip in the middle of the ring. But Jose is back up and fights back, however he is in survival mode. He circles without doing much in return, by way of counters, and when he does throw he leads then stands in front of Esparragoza, rather than countering then moving off.

Esparragoza really starts to take over, and has him down in the fifth, and dominates the sixth and seventh (the seventh I scored 10-8, as Esparragoza just poured forward with non-stop combinations), however every now and then Tony walks onto that counter right, and finally in the ninth a sharp right cross catches Marmeljo who falls into a clinch, but then falls to the canvas and is counted out.

Really interesting fight IMO.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #1325
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I've got Vilasana-Esparagoza on the way, should be fun.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #1326
JabCross
Journeyman

Got around to watching the Khan-Peterson fight tonight.

R1: 10-8 Khan
R2: 10-9 Khan
R3: 10-9 Peterson
R4: 10-10
R5: 10-9 Khan
R6: 10-9 Khan
R7: 10-8 Peterson
R8: 10-9 Peterson
R9: 10-9 Khan
R10: 10-9 Peterson
R11: 10-9 Peterson
R12: 10-9 Khan

TOTAL: 114-112 in favour of Lamont Peterson.

Overall, I was not happy with the ref in this fight. In my opinion, he cost Khan the fight (I don't think Amir would have won, but there was a chance of a draw there). The ref neglected what was an obvious knockdown in the first, and took points away for pushing, which I thought was ludicrous. I mean pushing, really? If he had taken points from Khan for grabbing Lamont's head, then sure, but come on, pushing? Anyway, it was a great fight and is definitely a serious FOTY candidate for me.
JabCross is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #1327
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Pushing because he couldn't defend himself. Essentially stopping his opponent from working without doing any work himself.

It was spoiling. And pretty consistent spoiling at that.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #1328
JabCross
Journeyman

I'll have to rewatch the fight, because I was unsure on rounds 6 and 10 and I didn't think the shoving was bad enough for point deductions. What surprised me though was that Khan persisted in pushing, despite being warned several times by the referee, and I think that this cost him the fight. All in all, Khan's performance was pretty underwhelming for a guy who was talking about how he could beat Floyd Mayweather a couple of weeks ago.
JabCross is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #1329
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Just watched parts of Hiroyuki Ebihara finally regaining a title against Jose Severino in preperation for youtube upload.

Decent entertaining fight, though it's clear to me that Ebihara has lost a couple of steps here.Not nearly as sharp as he had been earlier in the decade and Severino was a rather ordinary unimaginative slugger.

It's a shame Ebihara wasn't able to maintain his prime form for longer as he deserved a championship run.
lora is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #1330
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Just watched parts of Hiroyuki Ebihara finally regaining a title against Jose Severino in preperation for youtube upload.

Decent entertaining fight, though it's clear to me that Ebihara has lost a couple of steps here.Not nearly as sharp as he had been earlier in the decade and Severino was a rather ordinary unimaginative slugger.

It's a shame Ebihara wasn't able to maintain his prime form for longer as he deserved a championship run.

Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #1331
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Yeah I've got that fight as well.

Maybe I'll upload Ebihara-Torres II instead
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #1332
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Antono Esparragoza vs Jean Marc Renard.

Pretty entertaining fight this.

Renard is a basic, if slightly ugly/mauling, pressure fighter. Nice high hands and straight shots. Solid guy though, and strong.

This is the worst I have seen Esparrgoza though, defensivly he was not sharp at all and as he went back, he loves room and time, and as Renard was not giving him it, he seemed to flounder a bit and his defence was terrible.

After some feeling out and that Esparragoza established his combos and took the second and third rounds, however at the end of the third Renard won a few exchanges with sharper punches.

From the fourth on Renard began to bullrush his way in, waiting for Esparragoza to move back, then he bgan firing, and he was really troubling Tony. Tony did his best work in the middle of the ring firing off the hard combos, but he was too eager to give ground.

The finish in the sixth was a suprprise as after a few hard combinations Renard started to hurt for the first time in the fight, but he kept soldeiring on until another combo sent him down and out.

But this fight got me wondering, maybe Aparagus wouldnt treat McGuigan as his bitch as I Previously thought.

Also the amount of cleanm KOs Antonio has is pretty amazing, most guys he takes out are actual out for the 10.

Esparragoza: 2,3
Renard : 1,4,5
Total: 48-47 Renard (3-2)
Old 12-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #1333
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I just watched a great fight McGrain uploaded a while back, Betulio Gonzalez MD15 Guty Espadas. What a display of stamina and infighting! Espadas tatooed Gonzalez early, but the taller Mexican rallied over the last half of the fight, at least on my card. Here's how I had it..........

Gonzalez: Rounds 5,7,8,9,11,12,13,14
Espadas: Rounds 1,2,3,4,6,10,15
Old 12-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #1334
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Ayud Kalulu vs Masisha Kudo

What a weird fight, its just pretty boring and non-descript really.

Kudo is pretty much a todays amatuer boxer: tall, rangy, fights on the backfoot almost exclusivly, pawing jab and a respectable and accurate back hand. He starts off so negativly, just pawing with that jab and looking to slip in a straight right on the advancing Kalule and it did work, but man how boring it was.

As the fight progressed Kudo had to be more aggressive and he rose to that couragously but he took a bit of a beating when he did go forward and let the hands go.

I think he fought a stupid-ish fight though, as in the middle rounds he did a pretty good job of jabbing and moving, getting off first then moving away and as soon as Kalule started landing again he seemed to revert back to exclusivly moving.

Kalule for what its worth, fought pretty well. He stalked his man, and it was pretty poor pressure in all honesty as he just followed Kudo around, and literally let him run away at times, but what I loved was the way Kalule would step forward and as soon as Kudo threw, he would slide back half a step then fire his own shots, that was lovely.

Kalule did a great job of countering to head and body throughout the fight, loved his right uppercut counter and that straight left. He also countered superbly coming in under Kudos straight shots, and then whacking th ebody with hard hooks, abit like Napoles.

He also landed the best punch I have ever seen thrown in the 14th, he hit Kudo with an uppercut to the body as Kudo stepped back, and then Ayub followed through with the uppercut and landed to his chin.

Kalule: 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 (10-,14,15
Kudo : 1,6
Total: 148-136 Kalule (13-2)

Scored the 13th 10-8 as it was real one sided
Old 12-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #1335
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Today I was pleased to find Eusebio Pedroza's title-winning effort against Cecilio Lastra on youtube; I didn't know it was there, so this was a treat.

The fight wasn't much; Lastra was hopeless, and had not an iota of a clue. Really poor showing on his part, but it was interesting because I didn't know he was a southpaw.

Pedroza, for his part, was slick and quick, and dominated this thing from the first bell. I didn't give Lastra a single round, he got his ass comprehensively kicked. It was worthy of note that Pedroza didn't employ any kind of body attack in this one, as that was sort of his calling card later on. Well, that and dirty tactics, which he also didn't bother with in this one, perhaps because he didn't feel he had to.

Both had issues finding good punching range early, but the tide turned for good in the seventh, wen Pedroza really began to pour it on, finding the range repeatedly with lead rights. He began to hurt Lastra frequently and opened up his arsenal, until Lastra, who showed nothing but heart finally collapsed in the 13th. He got up from a second knockdown, but the ref waved it off and the Panamanian crowd went wild.

It was the beginning of an era, and an interesting fight for historical watching if not a great artistic effort.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum